Thinking of trying EQ2 again, questions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Arnold Yim

Thinking of trying EQ2 again, questions

Post by Arnold Yim »

So, I am starting to get bored of WoW. I have a 60 paladin, 26 mage, 20 priest, and 14 warlock on a pvp server. No, I didn't rush, but I played alot :-)

I tried EQ2 for a couple weeks, but stuck with WoW when it came out for 2 reasons:

1. Easier to solo. I like to solo 80% of the time. I group when I feel like it, or when I have to, but most of the time I like to solo. I am basically a solo player that likes to play in a persistent environment, if anyone "gets" that. Although I am in a guild and partner with my brother alot.

2. PvP. I like playing Counterstrike, even if it is repetitive, because of frags/rank and competition :-) Same with WoW.

When I left EQ2 as a lvl 14 scout (i think), soloing was probably 5 times harder to do than WoW, and it was purely PvE.

Have these two things changed, or should I just buy HoI2 and shelve mmo gaming for a while? I heard soloing was getting easier with patches, but will EQ2 ever have PvP? I never played EQ1, so I have no idea.

thx

EDIT: Eh, reading all the threads about WoW vs EQ2, it seems soloing is still pretty hard, and will remain so for a while. Guess it's time for a new game :-)
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

You won't be sorry about Hearts of Iron 2. You can solo easily as Germany. In fact you must because your so-called guildmates are pathetic. One is always drunk, and the other is 11 time zones across the world. Pickup groups are worse. One week it's Hungary, who will ninjaloot provinces while you're fighting, next it's Romania, who will attack the Soviet Union as soon as you join forces.

PvP rawks in Hearts of Iron 2.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Soloing is easier than when you left EQ2 - they've added more solo missions and mobs to each zone and they're introducing solo instanced dungeons with the next patch. However, it's not (and probably never will be) as easy to solo as WoW.

PvP --> my guess is that EQ2 will have some form of PvP eventually (the good versus evil thing has just been delineated too strictly to have it otherwise), but I would guess they're saving it for the first expansion (which will be the end of this year at the earliest).
JayG

Post by JayG »

I often solo and have had no problem. There is so many things to do in EQ2 that a group isn't often necessary. In fact, it seems to be going the other way now where it is often hard to find a group.
Arnold Yim

Post by Arnold Yim »

Update:

Thx for the suggestions and comments guys :-) Been playing EQ2 since I posted this thread, and didn't have time to post :-D

Soloing, at lower levels anyways, is very doable. I am a lvl 13 sorcerer right now, and have a full log of quests to finish up, even though I already finished over 80. 2 things strike me. First, there are soooooo many quests (compared to WoW)! Granted, over half are fedex quests, but they helped bring my gnome out of the wilderness known as Baubbleshire and explore other parts of the city :-) I like the fact that I can hold 50 quests, as opposed to only 20 or so in WoW. Second, the grind is there, and I like it lol. I lvled my warlock in WoW to lvl 14 or so in 1 day of hardcore playing (12 hours or so). My sorcerer in EQ2 took twice as long to get to lvl 13. I think the reason I got bored so fast in WoW was the fact that it was so easy to level up, relatively that is.

The tradeskill system, oh my. This is what I missed most about EQ2 when I stopped to play WoW. I like the fact that it is more involved and "harder." I had guildmates in WoW MAX a tradeskill in 1 day (on alts, when money doesn't matter). . . that's just too fast, and cheapens the experience of crafting to me.

The only thing that I "hate" is the fact that quests are generally given by NPC X from Zone 1, that wants you to go to Zone 2 to kill something, and then send what you killed over to NPC Y in Zone 4, and return to Zone 1 to NPC X for payment. When you have 50 of these quests, it is sorta hard to figure out who/what/where, and I just end up talking to every single person in case it is a quest related NPC. The problem is that the quest log doesn't organize by where you have to go, but rather where the quest originated from. Kind of anoying imo.

In the end, I guess I am a "hardcore" player. I like the treadmill, to a point. I guess EQ2 is the perfect fit, as long as they add PvP someday. DAOC fit that role for me pretty well. WoW didn't, since there was no point in PvP.

Magnificus
lvl 13 gnome sorcerer
lvl 13 scholar
Runnyeye EU server (fits with my play time better)
Non-Rper :-P

oh, and Tareeq, I WILL be buying HoI2 soon. I loves me WW2, however morbid that sounds. . .

EDIT: Last thing. EQ2 runs worse on my old computer, but it locks up less, which is a plus. No more error 131s, 132s, and 0s for me :-) Huge plus.