Morrowind now... or Oblivion later?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

McCrank

Morrowind now... or Oblivion later?

Post by McCrank »

All,

I'm getting the feeling I'm about halfway through with KOTOR 2 now, and looking through Ebgames.com, I dont see much coming out for the first half of this year that interests me... So as I do when I get bored during long periods of game draughts, I start thinking about Morrowind, next to starting a new game of Civ 3 of course... I see that the GOTY edition is $29.99, which looks like a damn good deal for that much gaming goodness. However, I hear alot of complaints and concerns about the game world being dull and drab. Would it be better to wait for Oblivion, which looks like its gonna take everything that was good about Morrowind and put it in a much livlier looking world, or should I break down and get Morrowind now? I'll admit right off that I probably have a big enough back log to keep me busy without Morrowind, so it's not critical that I own it, especially if it's gonna kill the buzz I have when I get Obvlion later down the road, just a big sucker for RPGs...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dull and drab aren't adjectives I've ever heard applied to Morrowind. Perhaps those uttering such things were using an insufficient video card?

Bethesda has never been too accurate with release dates, and another game of this magnitude could easily slip a year or more. If I have time to play it, I'll be pleasantly surprised if Oblivion makes it out this year. I never did finish Morrowind, and quit altogether shortly after installing Bloodmoon.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

You can't go wrong with Morrowind. It is a very good gaming experience.

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
mori

Post by mori »

GOTY might still be $19.99 at Target.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Morrowind is one of the greatest RPGs ever created -- if you're into ROLE playing. If you need to be led around by the nose, avoid it.

Dull and drab? I can't imagine using those words to describe the game.

A GoTY edition for $20? There's 100+ hours of gaming for that price. Probably more.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Austin

Post by Austin »

I tried (before expansions and w/out mods) and it never sucked me in. I'd try it again but I'd rather just play WoW for now. I plan to try Oblivian though. ;)
gellar

Post by gellar »

Austin wrote:I tried (before expansions and w/out mods) and it never sucked me in. I'd try it again but I'd rather just play WoW for now. I plan to try Oblivian though. ;)
What he said.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
docvego

Post by docvego »

Morrwind rules, it's VERY open ended and has lots of different plots and subplots going on. Unlike KOTOR2 you can totally ignore the main quest line and go off to adventure in any way you want. Both of the expansions are excellent as well.

Don't even start thinking about Oblivion until Late 2006. However they do have some new screenshots up on the home page. Including this freaky looking Minotaur guy.

Screenshots
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I doubt Oblivion is coming out until 2006. Morrowind is far from dull and drab and with the expansions and all the great mods, you've got over 100+ hours of gameplay as Smoove said. Great, great game.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

I don't think the complaints are that it's boring or drab, it's that it can feel dead and lifeless (NPCs being signposts or whatever). I used to think that as well. In fact, that's why I originally stopped playing it. But once I understood better how to play, that you have to use your imagination to an extent, it felt alive, real, and very fun. It's not only that you have to roleplay your character (which is esential), but you have to pretend as well.

Wow, that sounds really stupid when said like that, but it's true. I'm not good at explaining such things. Basically, if you have no imagination, Morrowind can seem pretty lifeless and perhaps pointless.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

My guess is that Oblivion will be out in Spring 2006...though they may fool everyone and have it out on time, which would be November/December 2005.
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

docvego wrote:Morrwind rules, it's VERY open ended and has lots of different plots and subplots going on. Unlike KOTOR2 you can totally ignore the main quest line and go off to adventure in any way you want. Both of the expansions are excellent as well.

Don't even start thinking about Oblivion until Late 2006. However they do have some new screenshots up on the home page. Including this freaky looking Minotaur guy.

Screenshots
If I ever ran into a creature that looked like that, I would immediately double over in laughter. Looks like on over-testosteroned ex-football playing washed-out-of-his-glory-days dickweed, juiced up on whiskey and looking to fight at a high school party.

That being said, I'm sure he would kick my ass.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

The fact that there are still five or six active theads about Morrowind over two years after its release should be all you need to know.

I played 20 hours or so when it first came out but never got far into the main quest. But thanks to Blackhawk's DVD, I'm addicted to it all over again. I think I'll go play some right now!

Get it!
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

Kyosho wrote:I don't think the complaints are that it's boring or drab, it's that it can feel dead and lifeless (NPCs being signposts or whatever). I used to think that as well. In fact, that's why I originally stopped playing it. But once I understood better how to play, that you have to use your imagination to an extent, it felt alive, real, and very fun. It's not only that you have to roleplay your character (which is esential), but you have to pretend as well.

Wow, that sounds really stupid when said like that, but it's true. I'm not good at explaining such things. Basically, if you have no imagination, Morrowind can seem pretty lifeless and perhaps pointless.
Exactly! I started to pretend in games when I played Bardstale :)
Else, how could I have played it for more then 100 hours?! The town was visually totally empty and the buildings were all alike... Now all the graphics are pretty but people don't talk to me without my intervention most of the time. I did not even think about that. In fact, I never think about sleeping in those games; I sleep when I don't have the choice to replenish mana. The time cycle and behaviour of people in Morrowind does not get me out of the immersion.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Morrowind now OR Oblivion later? I fail to see why there needs to be a choice. The obvious answer is BOTH.

Sith
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

Some people don't like a big open world where you can do what you want. In short they get lost. Then it may seem boring because they have no focus.

For the rest of us, it's the best rpg out there. With the mods its an incredible game.

Some people claimed they got bored walking everywhere. There are ship mods, boat mods, horse and creature riding mods and even flight mods.
So should be no problem there.

I have played it for several years now and each really good new mod just sucks me back in.

Don't see how you can lose.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Jafisob

Post by Jafisob »

Smoove_B wrote:Morrowind is one of the greatest RPGs ever created -- if you're into ROLE playing. If you need to be led around by the nose, avoid it.

Dull and drab? I can't imagine using those words to describe the game.

A GoTY edition for $20? There's 100+ hours of gaming for that price. Probably more.
It is one of the best games ever created for other reasons as well as ROLE playing. You can run around in a huge world looking into nooks and crannies and just adventuring. Very cool. Never did finish myself. I got 75 percent through the story and then quit. I came back a couple times after the expansions and played around a bit. It's a great game altogether.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Ripstar wrote:Some people don't like a big open world where you can do what you want. In short they get lost. Then it may seem boring because they have no focus.

For the rest of us, it's the best rpg out there. With the mods its an incredible game.

Some people claimed they got bored walking everywhere. There are ship mods, boat mods, horse and creature riding mods and even flight mods.
So should be no problem there.

I have played it for several years now and each really good new mod just sucks me back in.

Don't see how you can lose.
Exactly, this is not a game for the ADD crowd or people that like console style RPG's that hold your hand the whole time...but for the rest of us this is one of the best RPG's ever made.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Sith Lord wrote:Morrowind now OR Oblivion later? I fail to see why there needs to be a choice. The obvious answer is BOTH.

Sith
What he said.

Morrowwind is not my favorite all-time RPG (about #4) but the design is so clever you could play this game for years as evidenced by the Morrowind threads that are still popping up here to this very day.

Also, there are so many variations on what you can do in the game, that it's very easy to lose track of what you have to do. And it's usually in this area that many players lose interest in the game. I myself had three starts with this game before I finally finished it last month.

One thing that may be put you off is that just about all of the dialogue is text not spoken, so it does lose something as far as immersion. Still, I plan on getting to the expansions (Bloodmoon & Tribunal) after I wrap up about 2 more adventure games.

BTW, I don't see this game coming out anytime soon. And when I read what they want to do there is no way this game is coming out in 2005. Even 2006 would surprise me.