Best game manuals?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Tareeq

Best game manuals?

Post by Tareeq »

First things first:

First.

Now, here I'm looking at the manual for Kohan II: Kings of War. It's nice and pretty, even explanatory by today's standards. But it doesn't say enough to tell me what I need to know about winning the game. No strategy, no tips, not even an EA 900 number to call.

Underneath it is the manual for Victoria, which has got to be the most miserable manual I've ever seen. Vast game, as complex as anything Derek Smart ever programmed with the added bonus of being interesting and fun. And you have to go to the web to learn how to play the game at all, much less master it.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: there was a manual. Explained the game, the units, the strategy, the editor, told a good story, had a lesson in chromatography, and a recommended reading list that included Greg Bear.

Passed the lift test. Best manual of all time.

I claim this hill in the name of Sid.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

SMAC's manual wasn't spiralbound. That's the end of my negatives for that selection.

Folks will bring up the humor of the Fallout manuals, but I still think SMAC trumped them. Of course, I have an internet guy named Velocyrix to thank for my own appreciation for Brian Reynold's little baby...

~Neal
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Don't you guys have a Y chromosome? That implies no instructions neccessary.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Best instructions ever - Red Baron.

Or perhaps the Aces over... Series - spiral bound, lots of back ground information. Hell, I remember reading them after I mastered the game, just for the history.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Fallout
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

No, I agree, SMAC trumped the Fallouts. But the Fallouts were good, and the best use of atmosphere I've ever seen in a manual.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I'm going to have to go with a non-traditional choice. True SMAC had an incredible manual and would be chosen by many as the best. But I have to go with ProPinball Timeshock. That manual actually had a section just like a manual for a real pinball game. Too damn cool. Shorter than your choices and easier to produce yes, but just aces. :wink:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
CSL

Post by CSL »

I only got the EA Classics version of SMAC so I never saw the manual. :-(
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm what the kids call "impatient." That means the shorter the better, and if the game's so simple I don't even need to read the manual, I'm in heaven!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I remember Homeworld had a pretty handsome manual, as did Apache.

What about Stunt Island?
knob

Post by knob »

I rarely actually read the manuals to learn the game, but rather I read them just to see what's in them. Or something.

The best written, in terms of teaching you how to play, would be Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (I never read the manuals of the other two, since the Anthology didn't come with them).

The most memorable manual for me, by far, was the WarCraft 2 manual. That thing sat above my toilet for years. And I never even read 3/4ths of it. It was the artwork. Blizzard's artists (Chris Metzen was the biggest contributer in that one, but Samwise was also there) are amazing.

There are some other honorable mentions:

Homeworld
Fallout 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate series
And Civilization 3 (The only one I ever bought) seemed to be a pretty decent manual. Being as it WAS almost 300 pages long.

I also never read it, but it seems Falcon 4 has a great manual.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I always thought the Harpoon manual was well done.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Enough

Post by Enough »

I just remembered how much I have liked the two most recent AOW manuals, good stuff! Although I do long for the days of bigger pages and larger fonts.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
warning

Post by warning »

SMAC was great.
Homeworld was better.
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

What, are we limited to listing only one?

- Alan
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I have a great fondness for well-written, "in character" manuals like those of the Ultima series. I think the best and most recent manual of this kind was the Arcanum manual - but the Vault-Tec Lab Journal will always be the champ.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

• SMAC
  • Falcon 4.0
  • Fallout/Fallout 2
  • Zeus
  • Homeworld
  • Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate 2 / etc.
  • Jane's F/A-18
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

The old Jane's manuals were fricking awesome.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe or Their Finest Hour.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Valael wrote:And Civilization 3 (The only one I ever bought) seemed to be a pretty decent manual. Being as it WAS almost 300 pages long.
The funny thing about that manual is that even with its length it barely touches on critical parts of the game.

I remember the old Ultima manuals fondly, short but very well done. Microprose used to do a nice job with games like F19.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Nade wrote:Star Fleet: Krellen Commander
Great, well-written manual. Had me drooling all the way home, only to find out that the game itself was too buggy to play for more than 30 seconds at a time on my computer.

Bait and switch.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

-Battlehawks, Their Finest Hour, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
-Baldurs Gate series
-Homeworld
-Falcon 4.0

Recently Combat Flight Sim 2 came close to the Lucasarts flight sims. But those are easily the top.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

Zeus. The entire thing was written in Greek epic form.

(Heh. My first post on Gone Gold was about praising the Zeus manual. Deja vu.)
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Falcon 4.0
Jane's Flight Sims (specifically the earlier titles)
Flanker 2.0

They just don't write 'em like they used to...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

First, I should state that I enjoy complicated strategy games, and expect to need some instructions. If I can just jump in without any learning curve, that means I'm playing a clone. Bleah.

Second, I just finished writing a game manual. I had written one previously, a 200+ page tome for Caesar III. That one was merely adequate for reasons that I won't bore you with, but that were beyond my control.

The golden age of printed game manuals is pretty much over, thanks to packaging. If you're going to do one manual for worldwide release, it has to fit in a DVD box. I had 48 pages for the Children of the Nile manual. Two of those were covers. Another 6 went to legal notices, credits, and other required stuff. That leaves 40 small pages (trim size 4.25" x 7") to explain a complex new strategy game. Obviously, the manual cannot do that in any detail.

I chose to use the manual as a supplement to in-game help. The first half of the book is an orientation and game overview, and the second half is lookup tables. As a gamer, I would rather have good contextual info (like the Civilopedia) than a fat book to consult. Given my space limitation, I designed a manual that I felt was useful and informative. I had very little opportunity for flavor text -- pretty much every word has to work.

Our manual, tutorials and help system work together. If you read the manual and play the tutorials, you're in good shape. The 135 pages of in-game help should address questions as they arise. This approach was honed by Beta test feedback, so I'm pretty confident that it works. The only casualty is the amusement factor.

Question: Do you like or hate PDF manuals? Would you appreciate and print out a big honking PDF, or would it just piss you off that a print version wasn't included with your game? My own feeling is that people really hate PDF doco. I do, anyway.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enough wrote:I just remembered how much I have liked the two most recent AOW manuals, good stuff!
W00t; thanks!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ironrod wrote:Question: Do you like or hate PDF manuals? Would you appreciate and print out a big honking PDF, or would it just piss you off that a print version wasn't included with your game? My own feeling is that people really hate PDF doco. I do, anyway.
I despise PDF docs. It makes me think you're too cheap to print docs out for me. I don't like it when game companies start externalizing their costs to me.

It's one thing if it's a bargain bin version. I bought such a version of "Myth II: Soulblighter" and "Gunship!". But I paid $5 and $3, respectively for those titles so who am I to complain that they didn't come in a box, with manuals.

But a new title that they are hopping me for $50? It had better have a manual.

And it had DAMN WELL better have a demo released before I will buy the game. I'm tired of buying crap, and not being able to know that I think it's crap before I buy it (not that it will stop me from buying it, but I like to have proper expectations).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Hate PDF, but LOVE strong in-game help systems.

~Neal
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Ironrod wrote:Question: Do you like or hate PDF manuals? Would you appreciate and print out a big honking PDF, or would it just piss you off that a print version wasn't included with your game? My own feeling is that people really hate PDF doco. I do, anyway.

I think the manual you describe is the perfect solution - a supplement to in-game help. As long as you include a list of key-commands in there, it sounds pefect.

I HATE PDF manuals. I'd rather have a small manual and an ingame-help system like in Civ3 than a thorough PDF manual that I have to print.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Do you like or hate PDF manuals? Would you appreciate and print out a big honking PDF, or would it just piss you off that a print version wasn't included with your game?
PDF blows for game manuals. I would like to echo The Meal's sentiment about in-game help systems...good stuff in lieu of a printed manual.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Stars! has the best in-game manual/help system I've come across. it came with a hefty paper manual but I never opened it.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Ironrod, I still have you Caesar III manual. ;)

Extensive in game help rules.
Snow

Post by Snow »

*Falcon 4. The manual was a hard-bound, three ring metal binder with hundreds of pages.
* Jane's Apache Longbow
* Combat Mission
* Wizardry
geezer

Post by geezer »

Gromit wrote:Falcon 4.0
Jane's Flight Sims (specifically the earlier titles)
Flanker 2.0

They just don't write 'em like they used to...
yes yes yes!
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Falcon 4's manual was brilliant. As I recall, it was written by a Falcon pilot. It was a bloody good read, taught you everything you could ever want to know about flying a Falcon, and was huge.

Jane's F/A-18 Super Hornet had a pretty good manual too. It was like Falcon 4's, but focused on the technical side. It read like an actual flight manual (or how I would imagine one to be, for all you smartarses out there).
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

SMAC was nice, but as Meal mentioned it wasn't spiral bound. That, plus it's relatively small size meant the binding took a real beating.

Homeworld was nice, but as I recall it was a little light on actually useful info. Also, while I liked the additional background info, they never really followed through with any of it in the game itself.

My vote goes to the original Starfleet Command. Nice briefings on the various races and ships, charts with all the weapons and equipment, gameplay info, etc. But the real key here is spiral binding. You could open it up to those charts and leave it there. Not only was the manual nice, but they even had an additional reference pamphlet in the jewel case that focused on the various control panels and displays. An all around great package. IIRC there was a ton of grief when the sequel was released... it was the same level of content, but lacked spiral binding.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

PDF is OK, Not a big fan but I understand the need for them, but they should supplement the documentation in the box, not replace them.

In a Bargain Title or a Classics Version I can deal with it, but at lease send me a hard copy of a reference card for gods sake.

In a free game like AAO, Its a great PDF, and they really can't provide a manual in a download ;)
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I loathe PDF in all its incarnations. It's just about useless for game manuals.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by some recent mini-manuals. I thought TOEE was terrific. Warcraft 3 packed a lot of info in there. Even the Sims manual has good stuff.

I think the mini-manuals can bring out the brevity of a writer which is not necessarily a bad thing.

sidenote - oooh! I didn't realize Children of the Nile had been released yet ...
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

Meghan wrote:sidenote - oooh! I didn't realize Children of the Nile had been released yet ...
Er, it hasn't actually been released yet. Ironrod works for Tilted Mill...

- Alan