How has the recent economic turmoil affected you?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: How has the recent economic turmoil affected you?

Post by Octavious »

And my wife got the job offer today. Free HC kicks in after 90 days. Aside from the shitty commute and no work from home this is perfect. As my daughter starts hs next year we don't really need anyone to be home now anyway.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats!

Your turn.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Great news! Congrats!
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And one of her co-workers gave notice yesterday beating her. This is a very small office like 10 people so they won't be amused on Friday. Insurance is booming right now apparently.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:26 pm And one of her co-workers gave notice yesterday beating her. This is a very small office like 10 people so they won't be amused on Friday. Insurance is booming right now apparently.
One of my office mates just left for a job at Cigna. I got a re-offer of a job I turned down in January from another big health insurance company. They are picking off hospital admin/finance, understandably.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My wife works in the insurance industry (commercial and personal, not health) and it's insane right now, yes.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's odd because a couple of weeks ago Aon announced across the board pay cuts of 20% (above a certain level).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
RMC

Post by RMC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 pm It's odd because a couple of weeks ago Aon announced across the board pay cuts of 20% (above a certain level).
I know hospitals systems are not doing that well. My system has a sliding scale of pay cuts for the management, I only got a 10% paycut, but higher ups have up to 20%. Also, all my staff have to take 2 weeks unpaid. They can use PTO to get paid if they like. I donated like 80 hours of my PTO to my staff to help with that little unexpected cut. This is only for the next 10 weeks, and then upper management will determine what else to do. But we already lost our 403B match for the year, and we closed down five or six stand alone ED's. So tough times all around.

It's already started to really impact my work, as I find myself playing the part of analyst sometimes, since my 'expert' is on furlogh. So I get to work longer days for less money. But all in all, it is worth it if it helps to preserve jobs. Heck the 80 hours of PTO would most likely not have been used by me anyway, I lost like 60 hours the past year when I wasn't paying attention to that item on my paycheck stub.

Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well, and that things will start to turn around.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

ImLawBoy wrote:It's odd because a couple of weeks ago Aon announced across the board pay cuts of 20% (above a certain level).
This is property insurance. That's booming right now.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RMC wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 pm It's odd because a couple of weeks ago Aon announced across the board pay cuts of 20% (above a certain level).
I know hospitals systems are not doing that well. My system has a sliding scale of pay cuts for the management, I only got a 10% paycut, but higher ups have up to 20%. Also, all my staff have to take 2 weeks unpaid. They can use PTO to get paid if they like. I donated like 80 hours of my PTO to my staff to help with that little unexpected cut. This is only for the next 10 weeks, and then upper management will determine what else to do. But we already lost our 403B match for the year, and we closed down five or six stand alone ED's. So tough times all around.

It's already started to really impact my work, as I find myself playing the part of analyst sometimes, since my 'expert' is on furlogh. So I get to work longer days for less money. But all in all, it is worth it if it helps to preserve jobs. Heck the 80 hours of PTO would most likely not have been used by me anyway, I lost like 60 hours the past year when I wasn't paying attention to that item on my paycheck stub.

Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well, and that things will start to turn around.
I think I mentioned it up-thread or in Viral Economy but we're similar. Mandatory 4 days PTO per month (or unpaid leave if you're out of PTO). That's basically a 20% reduction in salary liability. 403b match suspended. Top level execs and management get 30% paycuts.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RMC

Post by RMC »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm
RMC wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm

I think I mentioned it up-thread or in Viral Economy but we're similar. Mandatory 4 days PTO per month (or unpaid leave if you're out of PTO). That's basically a 20% reduction in salary liability. 403b match suspended. Top level execs and management get 30% paycuts.
Yeah, I think all systems are in the same boat, and using the same formula. Heck, I heard even the larger system in Cleveland is forcing people to take the PTO. That system is the city followed by clinic, in case you were wondering. I work for the other big one in the area. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The unassailable children's hospital downtown furloughed 20% of staff.

What worries me most is that volume doesn't pick back up once we're back to some sort of normal. And not just for revenue's sake. Patients will forego routine checkups and annual wellness visits. Health will deteroiate. People will get sicker even without COVID. Costs will rise faster.

MYT
RMC

Post by RMC »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:03 pm The unassailable children's hospital downtown furloughed 20% of staff.

What worries me most is that volume doesn't pick back up once we're back to some sort of normal. And not just for revenue's sake. Patients will forego routine checkups and annual wellness visits. Health will deteroiate. People will get sicker even without COVID. Costs will rise faster.
The hosptial system I work for has a huge childrens hospital, that even the other system sends pediatric patients too. Well known and very good. I also support pediatric cardiology, and we are all taking some staff hits. I know that while the clinical frontline staff has not been touched like us in support areas. But we are closing areas, so that means that we need less clinicians, so they are being impacted that way.

I know that procedures are starting to pick up, and we are spending a lot of time reaching out to people to let them know that we can schedule their procedures again.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My "boss" told me that News Office funding isn't threatened, as far as she knows, and campus news is still coming in at a good clip, meaning my "job" is secure for now. Of course that's always subject to change, and contractors are the bottom of the totem pole. If they don't bring the students back for fall term, which looks dubious, that is likely to change. But April was my highest-billing month ever, and I don't plan to spend any of that income (assuming it comes in; I'm watching the mailbox anxiously every day) because I know the assignments can end at any time without warning. I should be able to bank enough money to coast for six months if I have to.
naednek

Post by naednek »

In about an hour and half I'll learn that our Governor is going to reduce our pay by 10% I'm hoping it's in the form of furloughs. At least we will get time off. I saw this coming from day one and I understand and accept it.

I didn't accept it back in 2008 when Arnold the asshole blamed State workers for rich greedy wallstreet people's actions and gave us 3 furloughs a month.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:In about an hour and half I'll learn that our Governor is going to reduce our pay by 10% I'm hoping it's in the form of furloughs. At least we will get time off. I saw this coming from day one and I understand and accept it.

I didn't accept it back in 2008 when Arnold the asshole blamed State workers for rich greedy wallstreet people's actions and gave us 3 furloughs a month.
And it happened with the caveat of If Nancy Pelosi gets her "Hero" bill passed, cuts to programs and wages would be cancelled. But we all know Trump will screw us being a Blue state.

Until then I'll miss having $600 a month in my pocket.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

Post by Default »

Today will be the 40th straight workday. My last day off was April 5th. Package volume is at least peak Christmas, more some days. Everything hurts, and I need some surgery for triggerfinger, but that is going to have to wait. Douchebag has installed one of his cronies as Postmaster General, and I am bracing myself for bad shit to happen to us. Hoping like hell there is blue wave in November.
On the positive side (if such there be), I only have 19K left on the mortgage, and I don't see the work slowing down, as COVID19 cases keep rearing their ugly heads, and we send our junior people to cover other stations. All my money goes to the mortgage, because the future is so uncertain.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Default wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 am Today will be the 40th straight workday. My last day off was April 5th. Package volume is at least peak Christmas, more some days. Everything hurts, and I need some surgery for triggerfinger, but that is going to have to wait. Douchebag has installed one of his cronies as Postmaster General, and I am bracing myself for bad shit to happen to us. Hoping like hell there is blue wave in November.
On the positive side (if such there be), I only have 19K left on the mortgage, and I don't see the work slowing down, as COVID19 cases keep rearing their ugly heads, and we send our junior people to cover other stations. All my money goes to the mortgage, because the future is so uncertain.
Everyone has always said mortgage is good debt and leveraging that debt is financial wisdom. Paying off my mortgage was such huge monkey off my back. Fuck good debt. The peace of mind of no debt has been so worth it to me. I just need the peace of mind of not needing employment now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Default wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 am Today will be the 40th straight workday. My last day off was April 5th. Package volume is at least peak Christmas, more some days. Everything hurts, and I need some surgery for triggerfinger, but that is going to have to wait. Douchebag has installed one of his cronies as Postmaster General, and I am bracing myself for bad shit to happen to us. Hoping like hell there is blue wave in November.
I ordered $50 worth of commemorative Forever stamps that I might never need. Curio City used to spend hundreds of bucks a month on postage, and now I send out about four mail pieces per year. It took them a week to ship my order. The shipping notice that I got yesterday doesn't have a tracking number -- I guess they must be coming first class. Oh, and they charged me $1.60 for postage. OK, the whole point was to support the USPS, but seriously?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:38 am
I ordered $50 worth of commemorative Forever stamps that I might never need. Curio City used to spend hundreds of bucks a month on postage, and now I send out about four mail pieces per year. It took them a week to ship my order. The shipping notice that I got yesterday doesn't have a tracking number -- I guess they must be coming first class. Oh, and they charged me $1.60 for postage. OK, the whole point was to support the USPS, but seriously?
I refuse to pay a $5 fee to pay my water bill by CC online and $8 to pay my property taxes by CC online. I've conceded to paying $2 to renew my license by CC online as the alternative is wait in line at the SOS to use a check. As a consequence, I use 8 stamps and write 8 checks a year. $50 of forever stamps would last me about eight years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 am
I refuse to pay a $5 fee to pay my water bill by CC online and $8 to pay my property taxes by CC online. I've conceded to paying $2 to renew my license by CC online as the alternative is wait in line at the SOS to use a check. As a consequence, I use 8 stamps and write 8 checks a year. $50 of forever stamps would last me about eight years.
The only mail I regularly send is my quarterly 941 federal payroll tax returns. I can deposit the money online, and I can file my state return online, but the feds won't accept an online return from a non-accountant. That's four stamps per year. Other things do come up occasionally, esp. regarding my late BIL's estate, so I might actually need eight or 10 stamps.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 am
Why are you attempting to pay by CC and not by eCheck or some other ACH type transaction (which are almost always free)?
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:00 pm Why are you attempting to pay by CC and not by eCheck or some other ACH type transaction (which are almost always free)?
Not listed as a payment type. I would love to pay online. All my other bills but one is online through one from of epay or another. One is by direct debit, which I hate but I do anyway because they have no other epaylike option. Water, property taxes, and SOS do not have any of those options. I'd happily do a onetime set up to save known ongoing effort and be done with it. Presumably it's just easier for them to contract out to collection company that take CCs and have me pay the fees.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think you're old enough now that you can saunter into town hall the day your property tax and water bills are due and pay them in person. Wave "hello" to the ladies behind the counter. Maybe have some small talk with anyone that will listen. Talk about the weather or the holiday that's closest to the day you're visiting.

/saw this all the time
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm I think you're old enough now that you can saunter into town hall the day your property tax and water bills are due and pay them in person. Wave "hello" to the ladies behind the counter. Maybe have some small talk with anyone that will listen. Talk about the weather or the holiday that's closest to the day you're visiting.

/saw this all the time
Yes I am aware. They'll even certify your payment. No thank you. I'm also old enough to remember having been in tow to each of the utility offices every month so my mother would wait in line to pay bills. None for me thanks.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:59 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:00 pm Why are you attempting to pay by CC and not by eCheck or some other ACH type transaction (which are almost always free)?
Not listed as a payment type. I would love to pay online. All my other bills but one is online through one from of epay or another. One is by direct debit, which I hate but I do anyway because they have no other epaylike option. Water, property taxes, and SOS do not have any of those options. I'd happily do a onetime set up to save known ongoing effort and be done with it. Presumably it's just easier for them to contract out to collection company that take CCs and have me pay the fees.
I think he means do you use electronic banking? If so, it should have an option to pay a bill which, depending on the recipient, will either by a physical check out an electronic check. Either way, there is no stamp required from you.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:24 pm I think he means do you use electronic banking? If so, it should have an option to pay a bill which, depending on the recipient, will either by a physical check out an electronic check. Either way, there is no stamp required from you.
I do. While my bank may have options to pay bills many different ways, it doesn't mean much if city hall doesn't receipt payment that way. (Am actually online right now to see if options have changed... They have. CC is still the only option non physical check/money order i\with payment coupon option but now they use a service called "pointandpay". I will have to evaluate when my next waterbill is due, which should be soon)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The point folks are trying to make, I believe, is that if you have Bill Pay set up for your Checking account, the bank should have an option to mail an actual physical check (when the recipient doesn't accept electronic). So while it's a physical check in both cases, only one requires that you actually write a check, stick it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm The point folks are trying to make, I believe, is that if you have Bill Pay set up for your Checking account, the bank should have an option to mail an actual physical check (when the recipient doesn't accept electronic). So while it's a physical check in both cases, only one requires that you actually write a check, stick it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it.
I get that but the city require a payment coupon (except for CC payment which makes no sense) to receipt the payment unless I head down to city hall and pay in person.

Edit: My guess is that this is because the bill goes to occupant and never a person but this is a guess.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri May 15, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm The point folks are trying to make, I believe, is that if you have Bill Pay set up for your Checking account, the bank should have an option to mail an actual physical check (when the recipient doesn't accept electronic). So while it's a physical check in both cases, only one requires that you actually write a check, stick it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it.
Yup, that's how I pay (almost) all my bills. I don't know or care whether the bank is mailing checks or depositing electronically. I walk past town hall a couple times per week so it's easy to drop off my property taxes. A handful of creditors get ACH access to my account if they give me a discount for it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:48 pm
I get that but the city require a payment coupon (except for CC payment which makes no sense) to receipt the payment unless I head down to city hall and pay in person.
That's crazy. Can't you just put the invoice number in the Memo section on the check? They can't require the actual coupon... because, as you noted, they accept CC. That's ridiculous. Do they take cash? I'd be tempted to get it all in pennies and dump it off personally. That's an absurd requirement.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:51 pm Do they take cash
No
TheMix wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:51 pm put the invoice number
There is no invoice number, only an account which partially reflects my street address. I put that in the memo.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I filed for unemployment today. I'll be out last week and this week due to lack of work. I could have covered it with vacation time, but I'm betting there will be more time in the second half of the year when the federal government ISN'T kicking in an extra $600/week.

The process was not easy. Took about an hour online and I'm not sure I did it right. There was no online help or FAQ to refer to. My biggest question now is that technically I have to do two job searches a week and apply of something is in the right salary range, but I'm going back to my job in two weeks. Seems like a waste of time for both me and anyone I apply to. I'm going to try getting an answer to that tomorrow.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's how it is here. They farm out all electronic payment to a vendor who takes a cut. I mail out two checks a month for the condo assn for water/trash and electric. Just bought stamps yesterday in fact.

Also ordered a few sheets of moon landing commemorative stamps. Theys cool looking.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:03 am That's how it is here. They farm out all electronic payment to a vendor who takes a cut. I mail out two checks a month for the condo assn for water/trash and electric. Just bought stamps yesterday in fact.

Also ordered a few sheets of moon landing commemorative stamps. Theys cool looking.
I haven't mailed a condo assn. check in years. It's all been done online.

Also, it's weird your condo dues don't take care of water/trash for you.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 am The process was not easy. Took about an hour online and I'm not sure I did it right. There was no online help or FAQ to refer to. My biggest question now is that technically I have to do two job searches a week and apply of something is in the right salary range, but I'm going back to my job in two weeks. Seems like a waste of time for both me and anyone I apply to. I'm going to try getting an answer to that tomorrow.
That's the same way in Michigan. It took me almost two hours of filling out an application and I still felt like I did it wrong. There were odd questions like "laid off due to COVID 19 shut down" but then if you checked that box you had to be in food/bar/gym/hair etc... , so then I'd back out to something generic even though I was laid off due to COVID 19 shutdown. Then it would ask questions about abbreviations not mentioned by anyone anywhere. After 30 minutes online I discover it has to do with liability for payment. I still worry that will come back to bite me in the ass.

But in the end, I didn't fill it our wrong or at least I got a check then certified and get another check. I have one more certification for a third week soon. Hopefully that is the last one. As of this moment I should be WFH primary, allowed in the office as necessary, with no more lay off. That could change by Friday.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:29 pm
stessier wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 am The process was not easy. Took about an hour online and I'm not sure I did it right. There was no online help or FAQ to refer to. My biggest question now is that technically I have to do two job searches a week and apply of something is in the right salary range, but I'm going back to my job in two weeks. Seems like a waste of time for both me and anyone I apply to. I'm going to try getting an answer to that tomorrow.
That's the same way in Michigan. It took me almost two hours of filling out an application and I still felt like I did it wrong. There were odd questions like "laid off due to COVID 19 shut down" but then if you checked that box you had to be in food/bar/gym/hair etc... , so then I'd back out to something generic even though I was laid off due to COVID 19 shutdown.
Yeah, I had something weird like that too. In one place you could use a drop down to select "Covid 19" as the cause and then another drop down as "lack of work/lay off" as the actual event. Then later, to certify it was a COVID 19 layoff, I had to select "Covid 19" and then a big list of items ending with OTHER. OTHER was the only thing that fit (the others were all about actually being diagnosed with or taking care of someone with Covid) and then there was a free text box that you had to enter "laid off / lack of work". So very odd.

Hope your third week will be your last!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:03 am Also ordered a few sheets of moon landing commemorative stamps. Theys cool looking.
I got those and the T Rex stamps. Yes, I'm still 8 years old: dinosaurs and spaceships!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:03 am That's how it is here. They farm out all electronic payment to a vendor who takes a cut. I mail out two checks a month for the condo assn for water/trash and electric. Just bought stamps yesterday in fact.

They do. I mean that I mail them out on behalf of the assn to the city utilities and the electric company. It's a small 4 member association and I'm not just the president, I'm also member.

We get all our dues payments via autopay. The city? Not so sophisticated.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:48 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am

They do. I mean that I mail them out on behalf of the assn to the city utilities and the electric company. It's a small 4 member association and I'm not just the president, I'm also member.

We get all our dues payments via autopay. The city? Not so sophisticated.
Well, that makes a lot more sense now! Thanks.
Hodor.