How has the recent economic turmoil affected you?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: How has the recent economic turmoil affected you?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 am Ah - so the number of people that left the workforce but didn’t file for unemployment gets removed from the denominator (e.g. to calculate unemployment 1 - (# people employed / (# people employed + # people looking for work)))?
Table A-15 - Alternative measures of labor underutilization

NOTE: Persons marginally attached to the labor force are those who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for work. Persons employed part time for economic reasons are those who want and are available for full-time work but have had to settle for a part-time schedule. Updated population controls are introduced annually with the release of January data.
U-3 is the official rate. Note all the additional categories as you go from 3 to 6.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Casual dining chain Ruby Tuesday has filed for bankruptcy, overcome by the financial pressures brought on by the pandemic.

The nearly 50-year-old company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Wednesday, with the intention of reducing its debt and operating as usual while it navigates the process. Like others, Ruby Tuesday's business declined more this year because of the temporary closure of its dining rooms that forced some locations to permanently close.

"This announcement does not mean 'Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday,'" said CEO Shawn Lederman in a statement. "Today's actions will allow us an opportunity to reposition the company for long-term stability as we recover from the unprecedented impact of Covid-19."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

All but one of the the Ruby Tuesday's within reasonable driving distance has already long since closed around me. The one closing near my work made me sad. For $11 + tip, I could salad bar and fries for lunch and take the a burger home with me. This is way better than going to a grocer and getting their version of a salad for $8.

I hope we don't lose the last one. The sole survivor is at about the 1/2 way point between my house and my parents house. We enjoy meeting there for a meal a few times a year... Or did until March...
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:22 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:19 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 pm manager and the director of my department are going to make a last-ditch effort to get my contract extended. the company really really _really_ does not want to retain any contractors right now, however. the decision is now up to one of the VPs and the executive director of the entire organization - i should find out soon.
aaand contract extended by two months.
another manager called me and wanted to know my interest in working for the organization FT 'should the headcount open up'. supposedly it was going to happen 'for sure' in 2021, but now they're pushing for the end of this month. i was told when the job posting goes up that i should submit my application for it and i will go through an 'abbreviated' interview process (and not the full four to five hour one). this is the most convoluted contract-to-full-time conversion i've ever encountered, but the good news is the job title is exactly what i want, so that counts for a _lot_.
bad news: i've been informed that i will not be hired on FT 'due to pandemic uncertainties'

good news: my contract was extended 14(!) months and i will be afforded some 'FTE perks' (training budget and schedule, 80/20 sprint schedule where 20% of my time can go to long-term research and dev projects, home office reimbursement). also opted in to twice-monthly 1:1 meetings with my new manager, which i did not have before.

but i feel like a permatemp now.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:29 pm All but one of the the Ruby Tuesday's within reasonable driving distance has already long since closed around me. The one closing near my work made me sad. For $11 + tip, I could salad bar and fries for lunch and take the a burger home with me. This is way better than going to a grocer and getting their version of a salad for $8.

I hope we don't lose the last one. The sole survivor is at about the 1/2 way point between my house and my parents house. We enjoy meeting there for a meal a few times a year... Or did until March...
Not surprised. Used to have one a couple miles down the road where my wife liked to go because she liked salad bar and their green beans (she's not a big veggie person, but she could force herself to eat that much). Much better than side salads at most places which put lots of stuff on she doesn't like.

Speaking of which - anyone want a good deal on the $50 in Ruby Tuesday GC's I didn't get a chance to use? (Not good enough for me to drive to Canton to use them, which appears to be the only one left in MI outside of one in an airport).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am also not a big veggie person (though I am trying to retrain myself in my advancing years). Ruby Tuesday's salad bar had all the vegetables I dig on. I prefer spinach to lettuce. I do the broccoli and the carrots and black olives and cucumbers and the like.
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 pmSpeaking of which - anyone want a good deal on the $50 in Ruby Tuesday GC's I didn't get a chance to use? (Not good enough for me to drive to Canton to use them, which appears to be the only one left in MI outside of one in an airport).
Good to hear that one is still around! That was the last one around after they closed the ones in Plymouth, Westland, Novi, and Ann Arbor some years ago and it is 1/2 way between me and my parents. We also have the GCs we are concerned about. I'd offer to take it off your hands but I honestly have no idea when the next time I will sit in a restaurant and when I do I'm not likely to make it to RT for a salad bar. The last time I sat in a restaurant it was likely RT with my parents for a burger and salad and that was probably in January.

Can you approach RT for a refund? I know when all of the Max and Erma's went under, I had just bought 10 $20 GCs for Christmas and they honored refunds on them.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 am I am also not a big veggie person (though I am trying to retrain myself in my advancing years). Ruby Tuesday's salad bar had all the vegetables I dig on. I prefer spinach to lettuce. I do the broccoli and the carrots and black olives and cucumbers and the like.
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 pmSpeaking of which - anyone want a good deal on the $50 in Ruby Tuesday GC's I didn't get a chance to use? (Not good enough for me to drive to Canton to use them, which appears to be the only one left in MI outside of one in an airport).
Good to hear that one is still around! That was the last one around after they closed the ones in Plymouth, Westland, Novi, and Ann Arbor some years ago and it is 1/2 way between me and my parents. We also have the GCs we are concerned about. I'd offer to take it off your hands but I honestly have no idea when the next time I will sit in a restaurant and when I do I'm not likely to make it to RT for a salad bar. The last time I sat in a restaurant it was likely RT with my parents for a burger and salad and that was probably in January.

Can you approach RT for a refund? I know when all of the Max and Erma's went under, I had just bought 10 $20 GCs for Christmas and they honored refunds on them.
Don't know. Bought them from Kroger before COVID started. Guess I can ask. Seems like they should since they ever so annoyingly closed my RT before I could safely use them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:01 pm
bad news: i've been informed that i will not be hired on FT 'due to pandemic uncertainties'

good news: my contract was extended 14(!) months and i will be afforded some 'FTE perks' (training budget and schedule, 80/20 sprint schedule where 20% of my time can go to long-term research and dev projects, home office reimbursement). also opted in to twice-monthly 1:1 meetings with my new manager, which i did not have before.

but i feel like a permatemp now.
Congratudolences.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The closest RT to me is 50 miles away. There used to be one in Chattanooga. In fact thats one of the very first places me and my then future wife went to eat at in 1987. The other being Red Lobster. As an 18 year old I felt they were upper class :) Hey I didn't eat out cept fast food :) . The building where RT was is still there. Its like a giant house that had been remodeled for it. It moved to the big new mall for a few years then vanished.

On a gift card side note my wife's cousin gave her a RL gift card about 2014 and a Olive Garden one 2015. We didn't use the OG one until 2018 not many months before my wife passed away. We never did go to RL. Wanted to on our Anniversary because it was one of the places we first ate together at. But being sick between us and stuff it just never panned out. I found the RL gift card in her change purse the other day as I was going through stuff. It can stay there. Im not going.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Luxury home sales up 42% year over year for Q3 in the US.

K-shaped recovery!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:19 pm Luxury home sales up 42% year over year for Q3 in the US.

K-shaped recovery!
You have to take into account that in the Covid world, a luxury home is defined as 4 walls and an optional roof.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:09 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:19 pm Luxury home sales up 42% year over year for Q3 in the US.

K-shaped recovery!
You have to take into account that in the Covid world, a luxury home is defined as 4 walls and an optional roof.
For the purposes of home sales reporting, it's homes with a median sales price near $900K. I think it's based on homes in the top 10% of any given market?
U.S. luxury home sales increased 41.5% year over year in the third quarter, the largest jump since at least 2013, when Redfin began recording this data. Meanwhile, sales of medium-priced homes climbed just 3%, and sales of affordable homes declined 4.2%, underscoring the coronavirus pandemic’s disparate impact on Americans with lower levels of wealth.

"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:29 pm All but one of the the Ruby Tuesday's within reasonable driving distance has already long since closed around me. The one closing near my work made me sad. For $11 + tip, I could salad bar and fries for lunch and take the a burger home with me. This is way better than going to a grocer and getting their version of a salad for $8.

1 Ruby Tuesday left in Huntsville. I ate there a few times at lunch pre-pandemic. Do love their salad bar. Just checked and it is still open...for now.
Ruby Tuesday was where I took my wife on our first date back in 1989 or 1990.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

K-shaped recovery!
I know I'm not in a luxury home, but someone sold the same model condo I have (comparable interior fixtures, but a better view out the window) for $60k more than I paid for my condo in 18 months ago. That's quite a price jump.
Hodor.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

If you're in a position to buy a $900,000 home, with COVID, you may now lack your usual options for how you spend money (cruises/vacations, sporting events, concernts, theme parks, whatever rich people spend money on).

At that point buying a new/upgrading your house might suddenly be what you do for fun?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

This is the wrong thread but the comments about luxury homes reminds me of a recent comment from a friend in CA. He's looking at big old Victorian houses in the midwest as a fantasy of getting a bunch of creative people together in a group living situation. Which is cool but it drives home the differences in regions when he points to $300,000 homes in need of tons of work and calls them cheap.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:34 pm If you're in a position to buy a $900,000 home, with COVID, you may now lack your usual options for how you spend money (cruises/vacations, sporting events, concernts, theme parks, whatever rich people spend money on).

At that point buying a new/upgrading your house might suddenly be what you do for fun?
It might be a mistake to assume these are upgrades. Maybe there's a spike in people moving from multimillion $$$ homes to smaller, million dollar cottages.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:50 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:34 pm If you're in a position to buy a $900,000 home, with COVID, you may now lack your usual options for how you spend money (cruises/vacations, sporting events, concernts, theme parks, whatever rich people spend money on).

It might be a mistake to assume these are upgrades. Maybe there's a spike in people moving from multimillion $$$ homes to smaller, million dollar cottages.
The rich getting poorer. A probably scenario for at least some of these increased sales.

And as Madmarcus pointed out, this is a relative thing. How many people in the coastal metro areas have million dollar homes (bought decades ago or inherited, as these people may not be poor, but often are also not rich enough they could have bought such a home as they own on their current income)? Maybe just selling their million dollar home and moving to an equivalent priced home as we might all do in our areas, just in our areas, the homes aren't million dollar homes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:50 pm

It's mostly upgrades. People are looking for more space now that they work at home and their kids are schooling at home.

Also with commutes off the table people are getting those bigger houses in the country.

And even if someone "downgrades" to a smaller home, they are selling their larger one.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

November Unemployment - 6.7% (0.2%)

Table A-4 - >= Age 25 by education level
CategoryPercentChangeYOY Change
Less than a high school diploma8.80.13.7
High school graduates, no college7.40.43.9
Some college or associate degree6.10.23.3
Bachelor's degree and higher4.10.02.3

Table A-1 - Unemployment Rate Ages 16-19 - 13.2% (0.1 , 1.6 YOY)

Table A-11 - Reasons for unemployment

Job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs4.5
Job leavers0.4
Reentrants1.2
New entrants0.3

Table A-12 - Unemployed persons by duration of unemployment

WeeksChangeYOY Change
Average Duration24.01.33.2
Median Duration18.81.19.5
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 pm This is the wrong thread but the comments about luxury homes reminds me of a recent comment from a friend in CA. He's looking at big old Victorian houses in the midwest as a fantasy of getting a bunch of creative people together in a group living situation. Which is cool but it drives home the differences in regions when he points to $300,000 homes in need of tons of work and calls them cheap.
A $300k home in California (anywhere in California) is a starter fixer-upper. Also it would probably be pretty small. Although there are probably some areas where that might get you something decent, but there is usually a reason for that.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

December Unemployment - 6.7% (0.0%)

Table A-4 - >= Age 25 by education level
CategoryPercentChangeYOY Change
Less than a high school diploma10.41.64.9
High school graduates, no college7.90.56.2
Some college or associate degree6.10.03.5
Bachelor's degree and higher3.60.51.8

Table A-1 - Unemployment Rate Ages 16-19 - 14.1% (0.9 , 3.1 YOY)

Table A-11 - Reasons for unemployment

Job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs4.5
Job leavers0.4
Reentrants1.3
New entrants0.2

Table A-12 - Unemployed persons by duration of unemployment

WeeksChangeYOY Change
Average Duration22.81.22.5
Median Duration16.12.77.7
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's been nine years since the Social Security Cost of Living Adjustment has matched the inflation rate (and my disability is Social Security.) Every year I get a little less buying power, a little less ability to pay the rent. It's getting worse. At this point we're going further in the hole every month. A big part of it is that Michelle was out of work for the winter in 2019 and 2020 (she was able to get the hospital job after that, although at ~$12/hour for ~35 hours/week it isn't much.) But during that time, our expenses exceeded out income and the only way to eat and pay the bills was to put those expenses on the credit card. At this point, our interest is a third highest expense after rent and food. I didn't want to. I carried a zero balance for years, and got the card just to build credit. But it was that or not eat.

The past year, with the skyrocketing prices on everything, has been the worst. Over the past few months it's exploded. A few large, unexpected, and unavoidable expenses have popped up (like vehicle issues) that really put us on the edge. I've canceled the majority of my monthly and annual subscriptions, reduced what services I have been able to, and we're still going in the hole. We've trimmed expenses - we're currently spending about $5 per day, per person on food, and we're going to have to cut that some more, too. We haven't eaten out (even drive-thru) in a long time, save a couple of times Michelle's mother bought us pizza. Spending for fun has pretty much come to an end. And yet, each month, our total available resources has shrunk.

To add to the fun, my youngest turned 18 a couple of months ago, and graduates high school in four months. When he does, his 'cut' of my disability disappears. That'll reduce our total income by about 10% until he either physically moves out (which isn't likely soon) or finds a job and can contribute directly. That could potentially take a while, and in the interval, we'll be taking on water faster than ever.

And the political climate doesn't give me a lot of confidence about the future - I'm the type of person that a certain portion of the populace considers disposable, and those peoples' voices are probably about to get a lot louder. I've said before that living on disability isn't fun. It's a sword of Damocles, always ready to fall, and there are whole waves of people waiting nearby with scissors, just looking for an excuse.

And I know that variations of the same story are playing out millions of times across the country right now. I'm not unique or special in dealing with this. It's not a fun time, and my stress level - with all the corresponding fallout - has been through the roof lately.

I'm just sharing here. I'm not looking for a way out. I have spreadsheets and track everything, and know the way out (which will take years, assuming there are no surprises.) I've been over the past few years, and I've seen the mistakes that I have made, and that I've let the rest of the family make. I just wanted to add my perspective to the thread.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Credit card delinquencies surged in 2023, indicating ‘financial stress,’ New York Fed says
Credit card delinquencies surged more than 50% in 2023 as total consumer debt swelled to $17.5 trillion, the New York Federal Reserve reported Tuesday.

Debt that has transitioned into “serious delinquency,” or 90 days or more past due, increased across multiple categories during the year, but none more so than credit cards.

With a total of $1.13 trillion in debt, credit card debt that moved into serious delinquency amounted to 6.4% in the fourth quarter, a 59% jump from just over 4% at the end of 2022, the New York Fed reported. The quarterly increase at an annualized pace was around 8.5%, New York Fed researchers said.

Delinquencies also rose in mortgages, auto loans and the “other” category. Student loan delinquencies moved lower as did home equity lines of credit. Overall, 1.42% of debt was 90 days or more past due, up from just over 1% at the end of 2022.