King's Bounty: The Legend Impressions?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malichai11

Re: King's Bounty: The Legend Impressions?

Post by malichai11 »

After completing some of the King's quests, Horseman become available at the main castle. I believe Knights do too, but perhaps a bit later on.
Lee

Post by Lee »

You finished the island at level 10? Damn I have it mostly cleared and I am level 11 (knight). Haven't messed with the fights that still say "Strong" yet (the pirates on ships). I really need to look at what I have and start my army from scratch, I am not using the best I could be.

Can't help you on the rage spirits. While they add some nice extra damage, its not enough when I am fighting stacks of 150-250 units. Really hoping you get the ice woman soon and that she is an improvement.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Just got her last night as soon as i set foot in Dwarf lands. I'm only lvl 9 so just went there for the main questline and to activate her. She was less than impressive. I'll probably head back to the Isles after this.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Lee wrote:You finished the island at level 10? Damn I have it mostly cleared and I am level 11 (knight). Haven't messed with the fights that still say "Strong" yet (the pirates on ships). I really need to look at what I have and start my army from scratch, I am not using the best I could be.
Level 11? How'd you do that? Are you on normal difficulty? I litterally have a handful of fights left on the entire island, and I've just hit level 10.

1) The stack guarding the tent in the first area.
2) The Staff of Destruction (or whatever it is) in the Wizard tower (level 14).
3) The stacks in the old castle, where that royal treasure chest was. I just ran around and got the treasure, but didn't fight. I could probably handle these now, but at heavy losses.

Everything else, I've cleared. Including the "evil boy" in the swamp. Got 850 xp and 20k gold for that fight, but pretty much lost my entire army. I kept going though, because it was such a fun fight and a huge amount of xp for when I did it. I came out of it with 5 Royal Snakes, very close.
Can't help you on the rage spirits. While they add some nice extra damage, its not enough when I am fighting stacks of 150-250 units. Really hoping you get the ice woman soon and that she is an improvement.
Exactly my thoughts.
Demonix

Post by Demonix »

The ice rage spirit is a little less than impressive. Chargers can be a boon if you are getting into strings of fights, the ice ball isn't bad for knocking out one stack if you place it right (the further it travels, the more damage it does, only rolls in straight lines), and gizmo needs improvements before seeing heavy use (currently it jsut attacks enemies or heals friendies. meh.)

I use the poison one so much its mot funny. evil shoal is a godsend. Just got the death spirit, and his first ability is fairly cheap but you only want to use it against large stacks to get the most out of the percentage.

Does anyone have info on the wives? I have rina who gives bonuses to undead as a zombie and pirates when she is human. I havent had much opportunity to buy undead troops tho, probably because I'm a paladin.

Spells are great once you have em upgraded. my next playthrough is going to be as a mage
GG refugee
Lee

Post by Lee »

Effidian wrote: Level 11? How'd you do that? Are you on normal difficulty? I litterally have a handful of fights left on the entire island, and I've just hit level 10.
No idea, because it sounds like I have the same battles left as you, except I didn't get the kid out of the castle yet. Just did every possible quest I could and I was level 10 when I left the starting area, made 11 on the island.

Disappointing to hear about the other spirits. I really don't like the knight class and would much rather have a paladin or a mage. I do have 2 levels of order magic casting though and decent mana with the frog wife.

Evil shoal is the best spirit ability, but I think I have it as level 11 and it doesn't do enough damage to make that much of a different in a close fight.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Yeah, I'm getting the same impression with my Warrior. I think I'd rather have a Mage. The Paladin skills don't look very enticing to me either.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Demonix wrote:Does anyone have info on the wives? I have rina who gives bonuses to undead as a zombie and pirates when she is human. I havent had much opportunity to buy undead troops tho, probably because I'm a paladin.
Here is a thread on wives.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Well, I started over as a Mage. So far I'm liking it a lot, but it is still early.

I got the frog wife, and had 4 kids. They are (in order):

1) +10 rage
2) +5 defense
3) +5% combat xp
4) +20% defense

I made a save before I "initiated" each one. Are they worth having more than items that I could put there? Except for the combat xp one, they seem pretty decent, but I have no idea what kinds of items are in the game later, and if I should use the slots for items instead of kids. Any tips?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Where is the best place to purchase this for digital download? I've only purchased from Steam in the past, but this game isn't available there. I've seen it on Direct2Drive and GamersGate. Which service is a better place to shop?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Butterknife wrote:Where is the best place to purchase this for digital download? I've only purchased from Steam in the past, but this game isn't available there. I've seen it on Direct2Drive and GamersGate. Which service is a better place to shop?
i bought mine direct from Atari's website
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I got mine from D2D. I've used them all though, and haven't had an issue with any of them.

Steam is my service of choice, but they don't get everything unfortunately.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I'm liking the Mage a lot more. I hit level 8 before I even bought a troop, I had just been using whatever I found (eggs, sprouts, coffins, whatever). I really don't use the troops much, they just have to stay alive, while I nuke the crap out of the enemy. I'm actually using dragonflies now, for the high initiative and movement. I just have them run around and pick up chests, while I nuke/rage everything. Almost every fight is rated "impossible", and so far is quite easy.

I have a feeling this will come to an end soon though. The damage output of my spells has not been increasing enough to keep this going. I have found only one piece of gear that increases int, so I'm hoping the next island will have some. But I still like the Mage better. I don't feel like most of the skills in the tree are being wasted, unlike the Warrior.

We'll see...
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Anyone know if there is somewhere to exchange runes at some point in the game? I have 43 Mind runes, a couple Might runes, and no Magic runes (which I need badly). I've spent Mind runes on anything I can that doesn't take the others (Trade 3, Scout 2, etc). I just have a ridiculous amount of them.

I'm getting a little tired of waiting for mana after every battle, but Meditation is just way too expensive. I really think that skill should have been very cheap, since it is just a convenience skill. Concentration is nice, but I can't afford that right now since I'm trying to get the Destroyer and Higher Magic maxed out.
storz

Post by storz »

Effidian wrote:Well, I started over as a Mage. So far I'm liking it a lot, but it is still early.

I got the frog wife, and had 4 kids. They are (in order):

1) +10 rage
2) +5 defense
3) +5% combat xp
4) +20% defense

I made a save before I "initiated" each one. Are they worth having more than items that I could put there? Except for the combat xp one, they seem pretty decent, but I have no idea what kinds of items are in the game later, and if I should use the slots for items instead of kids. Any tips?

I played as mage, and got frog wife with exactly the same kids... :shock: Anyway, I'm currently lvl 14, and almost finished freedom island, and just went to dwarf land to take a peek, the mob there are not too bad so far.

As for exchange runes, I haven't encounter dealer that can do that yet.

And yeah, the magic runes are hard to come by. Currently I have only chaos magic and destroyer maxed out at lvl 3, and I have order magic/meditation @ lvl2, all other are still in lvl 1, and I still need more magic runes to get the higer magic. But I do get a lot mind and might runes, especially I bought a banner, that give 10 mind runes after 50 victories, which I used to get inquisitor skill from mind skill tree. My mage's current stat: attack 14, defense 20, Intellect 14.
Jag

Post by Jag »

After you rescue the Dwarf Kings son, the son lets you buy runes. About 100k a rune, so not worth it at all. I would kill for some mind runes. At lvl 14 i'm very low on runes, but I have the Warrior and Mage tree with every level 1 skill filled up and some spell upgrades on the Mage tree.

I'm cleaning up some quests and off to the Elven lands. I have a pretty powerful army of 6 Giants and 130 Horses with the rest in Dwarf alchs, cannons and dwarfs and several hundred griffons in reserve. :D
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

storz: I can't believe we got the same kids. Those are suppose to be random, so what are the chances? I'm thinking about changing wives, but that will be really expensive, so I'll need to wait until I'm low on gold. Plus, I really don't want to give up +3 Int. The Rage kid is a waste for me, as is the combat xp one, and I'm finding a lot of defense gear, so that diminishes the +5 defense kid. I'm wishing I had the slots for gear. :( I wish they had a boarding school.

Jag: I have 1.5 million gold now, I suppose I can blow some on runes. I'm not finding anything else to spend it on. I read on the official boards that the price is even worse. 100k for the first one, then it increases by 100k for each rune of the same type. So 100k for the first Mind Rune, then 200k for the second Mind rune, 300 for the third, etc. But again, I have a ton a gold and nothing else to spend it on (and it will allow me to switch wives if I'm broke :) ).

I'm up to 55 mind runes. :? I'd spend more on Mind skills, but I have to be careful about how many Might runes I use, since I need those for some Magic skills, and I won't spend any that use Magic runes, since I really need those.

I'm at level 18 now, still working through the Dwarf lands. Stats are 5 Attack, 20 Defense, 23 Intelligence, 52 Rage, 92 Mana. I could swap out my weapon that gives me 5 Int for a 4 attack weapon, but I just can't bring myself to let go of 5 Int. I haven't found any other gear that gives attack, so that stat is just sucking.

I'm really not finding scrolls. I got geyser, but 40 mana for the level 3 version is a bit steep. I really want to find a lighting scroll. I'm not sure how good lighting will be, but I have +20% damage from my upgraded archmages staff (boy was that upgrade fight nasty). Anyone know what the upgraded Pilgrim's/Druid's Staff gives you?

My Rage pets are not getting much use. I just can't build up enough Rage. Unfortunately, I haven't been getting the reduce cost upgrades, so most of the skill are now costing 20-30 Rage. The Warrior definitely has an advantage here.

My mistake earlier, Meditation is actually a pretty cheap skill. I got that confused with Wisdom (which is expensive). I upgraded it to level 2 and don't have to wait nearly as long now. I need get it to level 3, but can't afford 3 magic runes atm.

I'm also unsure about more levels in Higher Magic. I love the first level, but I'm thinking I'll wait for more levels. I typically consume 40 mana the first round, and then the second round the enemy is usually spread out a bit so I can't use my big spells. Not sure, I'll upgrade it soon if I can't find a good reason to upgrade Order or Distortion.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't seem to finish the first quest from the King (catching the robbers). You need to collect 400 plugens(?), but all I can find is 388, and I've been all over. Anyone else have this problem?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

People are still playing King's Bounty? Man, this game's got legs!! :wink:
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Jag

Post by Jag »

tgb wrote:Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't seem to finish the first quest from the King (catching the robbers). You need to collect 400 plugens(?), but all I can find is 388, and I've been all over. Anyone else have this problem?
I assume you killed the main robber? The rest of the plugens are laying around the ground, mostly in that area IIRC. It's your old eyes, sometimes the stuff is hard to see. Try rotating your view. They are there.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Rotate the camera around so you can see under trees too TGB. I recently went back to the starting area and I was surprised to find I actually missed a few things lying around because of trees.

When exactly can I buy horsemen? I got like 14 from the tent in the starting area but I need a lot more than that and no one is selling them (I am in the dwarf lands). Got to say those giants kick some serious ass with haste on them. Never even lose one because they are so easy to heal to keep alive.

I found the ice woman's fury powers quite nice and use them more than anything else now. For 7 fury the UFO does some ok damage for 4 turns, but the best is the ice ball. It draws attacks, is hard to kill, and does decent damage. It's just expensive as hell at 25 fury. If I can cast it first round it will draw enough attention to get my giants and royal snakes close.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I think I got horsemen after I completed the King's quest to form an Alliance with the Dwarves. To do that you have to rescue the dwarf king's son. Luckily when you get horsemen, you get an unlimited horde. As i posted above, at lvl 14 i'm rocking about 130 horsemen.
storz

Post by storz »

I got rid of froggy wife and got zombie chick as wife, although I miss my +3 int. from froggy wife, but with the army I have now, I have no trouble winning against those fights rated as strong or some of the very strong ones with no loss.

Currently my army consists: Evil beholders (what can I say, I love mind control), sea dogs (with zombie chick in human form, I get +1 to the Speed and Initiative which is nice), Inquisitors (for Resurrection), Giants (meat shield, hard to kill, easy to heal), and Necromancer (raise dead is nice to have, espeically in a tough fight). I do have Tolerance from mind skill tree, so having undead in my army does not cause any morale trouble. I also just bought higher magic from magic tree, it is a must have for mage.

what I do during each battle is cast mass haste once, then cast either fireball or ice snake to kill/ damage any high initiative or ranged enemy units. then I just rush my seadogs in, and use his Fury Attack skill to attack all 3 cells at once to kill off/weaken any remaining range units or high initiative units. then the nercomancer will raise dead, evil beholder do mind control, and giants with haste run in and do earthquake. and inquistors for ranged attack, (or resurrection if I take damage) then if I have rage, I will get icewomen's ufo out, it is nice to have a auto healing bot during the fight or ice orb, if I want enemy focus on it instead of my melee fighters. Normally after above step, there are not many enemies left. (except when fighting dragon, they have really high initiatives, and will always get to me before I can even cast the spell)
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

I am currently trying to finish up the quests in dwarven lands as well as go back to freedom islands and clear out all enemies there. I am a lvl 16 mage if I remember correctly. Currently my army consists of cyclops, shamans, veteran orcs, evil beholders and alchemists. I think giants might be available to me now, but can only hold I think 4 of them.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
abr

Post by abr »

tgb wrote:Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't seem to finish the first quest from the King (catching the robbers). You need to collect 400 plugens(?), but all I can find is 388, and I've been all over. Anyone else have this problem?
I started playing today and remembered this thread, so in case you haven't found them yet, here are some screenshots with all of them marked. (The plungens marked by yellow circles in the first and last pictures are identical.)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
tgb

Post by tgb »

Thanks
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

storz wrote:I got rid of froggy wife and got zombie chick as wife, although I miss my +3 int. from froggy wife, but with the army I have now, I have no trouble winning against those fights rated as strong or some of the very strong ones with no loss.
What made you decide to go change wives?
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I'm about to switch too. I'd really like to be using more gear, instead of those kids. I think I'm going to try to get Xeona, for the 2 weapon slots, but I have no idea when I'll find her.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Couple questions hopefully someone can help me with… I notice other people have been to the dwarf lands at level 9… I’m 13 and have no idea how to get to them. Second, I’ve been all over the freedom islands, where do you find out about the slave trade?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Lordnine wrote:Couple questions hopefully someone can help me with… I notice other people have been to the dwarf lands at level 9… I’m 13 and have no idea how to get to them. Second, I’ve been all over the freedom islands, where do you find out about the slave trade?
You know I've done all the quests and I still couldn't tell you. Everything is such a blur. Once you complete the King's quest on the isles, you go back and talk to the King and he will open up the dwarf mines in the starting area. The mines lead to the dwarf area.

There is a cave full of dwarves working, when you get to the end of the caves you get the slave trading info you need. I just kind of stumble through everything without actually knowing where anything is. I solve quests by just running into them. The quest log is so bad it's hard to no where to go at times, so if I see an army, cave, castle etc I just go there and see what happens.

So this post has been useless. :)
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Lordnine wrote:Couple questions hopefully someone can help me with… I notice other people have been to the dwarf lands at level 9… I’m 13 and have no idea how to get to them. Second, I’ve been all over the freedom islands, where do you find out about the slave trade?
You learn about the slave trading from the guy the king has sent you to get the maps from. He is Mirabella's fiance or something like that. Talk to the governor in the freedom islands, he will send you to the eastern islands to Mirabella, then Mirabella will direct you from there. There are a few ways to get the maps and learn of the slave trade. Once you do and get the maps the main storyline will progress.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Umm. I killed the guy with the maps, brought them back to the king and then he told me to look into the slave trade.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Didn't he tell you to go talk to the pirate with the zombie wife (from the beginning of the game) about the slave trade? Can't remember now exactly.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

tgb wrote: You need to collect 400 plugens(?), but all I can find is 388, and I've been all over. Anyone else have this problem?
Yeah, my pregnant wife sent me out for plugens the other night. Looked all over couldn't find any. Damn plugens!
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

IceBear wrote:Didn't he tell you to go talk to the pirate with the zombie wife (from the beginning of the game) about the slave trade? Can't remember now exactly.
Thank you. I saw that I needed to talk to him but I didn’t remember who he was… figured he would be in the pirate area.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Patch up.

This patch is for use with the English version of King's Bounty: The Legend released on September 23 by Atari.
It's highly recommended to delete all the mods before installing the patch.

Improvements:
- No more crashes on FX5xxx video cards
- Duration of Poison Cloud determines the amount of attacks that Cloud makes before disappearing
- Holy Anger skill doesn't affect demons and undead in the player's army
- Blade Dance talent used for healing now takes into consideration the level of damage inflicted
- Items going out of the player's control give no bonuses to player's morality level
- Emerald Dragons receive the Immunity to Mind effect
- Defend characteristic of Zerock's Wall now equals 10
- AI calculation formula of Gremlin Towers inside items changed
- Default button in Options mode restores default settings
- "C" (Cast) button in adventure mode opens the Book of Magic
- While moving to different locations the loading bar is now blue
- Infrequent crashes when loading saved games taken care of
- Mistake in calculating morality of items and their pop-up windows fixed
- Calculation of the level of character and spirits of rage now depends on difficulty level
- Neoka wife can have children
- Fight won't start while the hero opens chests, digs for treasures or travels using the Book of Life/Death
- Vampires are now under control after transformation to bats
- Order of units' turns renews after each action
- Changes to Initiative for shocked units influence on current round
- Enemy units do not cast magic spells on invisible units
- Improved pop-up tip appearance/rendering for distant attacks
- Greasy Mist spell gets damage bonuses from items and doesn't decrease resistance of creatures with fire immunity
- Snakes can use Lunge skill against any objects they can attack on the arena
- Pop-up window of Ghost blade spell is corrected
- Effect of Dispell when casting on hypnotized and charmed creatures improved
- Quests pending when arriving to Darion on submarine fixed
- Necromancy skill fixed
- Bug causing two units to appear in one hex fixed
- Mirabella crash fixed
- Game does not crash when inventory is re-sorted
- Pop-up window fixed when there are similar improving morality level items in inventory fixed
- Crash when turning the pages of the Book of Magic on PCs with a lack of video memory fixed
- Shader error on old ATI video cards fixed
- Crashes of the game when saving fixed
- Inert enemy phantom units removed (works for previously saved games only)
- Incorrect counters of resources collected and enemies killed in several quests fixed
- Error with rendering of several text messages simultaneously fixed
- Mage receives two scrolls of magic after beating Giant Tortoise
- Missing pictures showing portals' fixed
- Children are chosen from the list randomly after loading when loading the same saved game
- Incarnations of Haas killed before getting the Skaar's quest will be taken into account (all kills of the above mentioned incarnations before patch installation will be lost)
- The morality of enemy units is always neutral
- Message about item's suppression doesn't appear if the item changes morality itself
- Hero can now be controled with "W","A","D" buttons, "E" button is for digging (parameter setf ~enablewsad 1 in game.ini file)
- Other small improvements
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

- Children are chosen from the list randomly after loading when loading the same saved game
I'm curious what that means. I would never go for children again. It is just too risky to hope for a good one. If I could reload to get the kid I wanted, though, I might do that.

Divorcing the frog cost me 730k.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After browsing this thread and looking at the box in WalMart Im really wanting this game. It looks like a pretty Kings Bounty from the Genesis days. I loved that game. If it wasn't for Fallout 3 coming out in a few days Id grab it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I finished it up with my Mage. I really should have done a harder difficulty. I ended the game with 5 million gold and another million worth of loot in my inventory, and that was after my 730k divorce.

I was considering playing an Impossible game, but I'd really want to use the Mage for that. However, having just used the Mage I was wanting to try something different, and use my troops more than I did with my Mage. I look at the Warrior and Paladin skills, and they don't interest me at all. Anyone playing those classes in the late game have any comments on the classes?

I had 46 intelligence and 3 or 4 items that increased my combat spells. Fire Rain did 7k per hex, and Geyser was around 4k. Most battles lasted 2 or 3 turns. 4 Geyers in the first 2 turns pretty much made it trivial. Occasionally there were some stacks that lasted (like Black Dragons), but other spells could be used to handle those.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

Warriors and paladin have less flashy skills in the talent tree, but remember there is something you aren't not seeing there: the average leaderhip won by them is better than with a wizard. So they depend more of the armies.