King's Bounty: The Legend Impressions?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

galaril

Re: King's Bounty: The Legend Impressions?

Post by galaril »

Toe wrote:I picked this game up last week. Absolutely love the graphics and music/sound. The whole run-back-and-get-more troops thing does get a little old though and I am only level 7 heh. I try to stick to just killing weak and very weak stuff to avoid constant trips (normal difficultly). I started with the warrior class and I also the Might skills are a bit on the boring side with some rather crappy choices. Overall though, a fun game and worth picking up especially since you can find it on the cheap.
Where do you see or get it on the cheap? I have only seen it for around $40-45?
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Just finished the game. All in all, very good. Good ending, good story. Combat gets crazy toward the end, whats interesting i noticed in late game, dmg spells were not doing enough dmg, so it went back for me to buffs and debuffs. I could see how not being a mage and not having double cast first few rounds, could prove very troublesome for other classes. Toward the end i had some vicious battles, where it was down to litteraly few units surviving. I started using dragons heavyly toward the late mid and end, Had red , black and emerald at some point. I found walking knights LV4 (dont remeber the name, but they have dragon killer skill) as very good dmg takers plus dragon killer and decent overall dmg was worth it (they are very slow, the main problem). they ultimately became my main tank. Beated the game with 12 of this knights and 7 shamans left. :)
I was thinking starting over as Pally, but the only difference is 2 skills in the might tree, and no mage specials. So for now will put it aside.
Stridergg

Post by Stridergg »

The final ability in might (+initiative on your first turn) would be awesome for this. Sadly, as a mage it's tough to get the necessary might/mind runes when I want to enhance my magic abilities first.
I was able to get this ability at about lvl 19. You get a fair number of red/green runes and nowhere really to spend them, so they accumulate and allow you to build the warrior tree pretty nicely.

I just found a place to buy emerald dragons and black dragons. I decided to replace my trusty shamans to try the dragons out, but not sure which ones to take. Black dragons' leadership requirement is quite a bit higher, are they that much better? I am trying out the black ones for now, they hit for less comparing to the stack of shamans, but I can just park them in the middle and they can take a lot of punishment.

However, I will probably take the shamans back into my army before going to the demonland due to all the fire resistances. Shaman is such a great unit and can be used in so many way.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Stridergg wrote:
The final ability in might (+initiative on your first turn) would be awesome for this. Sadly, as a mage it's tough to get the necessary might/mind runes when I want to enhance my magic abilities first.
I was able to get this ability at about lvl 19. You get a fair number of red/green runes and nowhere really to spend them, so they accumulate and allow you to build the warrior tree pretty nicely.

I just found a place to buy emerald dragons and black dragons. I decided to replace my trusty shamans to try the dragons out, but not sure which ones to take. Black dragons' leadership requirement is quite a bit higher, are they that much better? I am trying out the black ones for now, they hit for less comparing to the stack of shamans, but I can just park them in the middle and they can take a lot of punishment.

However, I will probably take the shamans back into my army before going to the demonland due to all the fire resistances. Shaman is such a great unit and can be used in so many way.
yah i also build up my warrior tree, i dont remember when i got initiative bonus, but i think around your level as well. Shamans are just amazing unit over all, has hp like tank, has high dmg spells, fast and heals with dmg spell or totem. Also can use totems to draw agro, and do close combat with ease.
Black dragons are good, except for one thing, they dont get any buffs (or debuffs), but key word is buffs. No bless, no demon extra dmg, no heals, no anything. Over all they pretty good, but debuffs make them less effective then emerald or red dragons. I think they would be much more effective for a warrior character or paladin, since magic is scarce with them. At some point i was running with black,red and emerald, and learned that its too many dragons :)) . I suggest having 2 slots for dragons, and black dragon are really can reach their full potential if you dont cast mass spells that buff your army. Nothing more annoying then seeing everyone get a bless except for the black dragons. I also find black dragons skill of fly by fire, much less useful then emeralds mana drain + dmg or Red dragon flame breath, which really is a ranged weapon that has no range limit.
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Just got this on Friday and have got to say the hype is real! I'm only on level 4, but I'm just loving this game. I'm a long time Heroes fan, so this game is like mana from heaven. Got to say though, the difficulty is no joke; I'm getting it handed to me early and often and that's just the way I like it! Okay, enough gushing, back to playing.
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
Stridergg

Post by Stridergg »

Thanks, Matrix.

I like your assessment, although, I gotta admit, black dragons are growing on me - the fact that they damage 2 stacks every time they attack/defend can compensate for a lot of things. Plus I don't have mass spells yet - so far (I am lvl 22 in the Deathlands), direct damage spells seem like a more effective usage of mana and casts. I do have pretty high Int (31?) I think, so even without the necklace my Firestorm delivers a lot of hurt. I expect this to change when I get to demonland though, fire reesistances suck and I don't have lighning spells, only a weak-ish Ice Snake (or whatever it's called, I haven't used it yet).

I really want to find red dragons now.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I love Sprites. With Agma's (sp?) Ring, which give +3 to attack and +3 to morale for all female fighters, they can do hefty damage.

My current favorite tactic is to use immediately use my Demoness's special ability to swap my massive sprite army with an enemy army (usually an archer), then immediately use Phantom to create a less-massive-but-still-big sprite army. Both armies (plus the second Phantom army that I'll create in the next round) can wreak havok, while the Phantom armies also serve as cannon fodder, soaking up damage without depleting my troop levels.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Stridergg wrote:Thanks, Matrix.

I like your assessment, although, I gotta admit, black dragons are growing on me - the fact that they damage 2 stacks every time they attack/defend can compensate for a lot of things. Plus I don't have mass spells yet - so far (I am lvl 22 in the Deathlands), direct damage spells seem like a more effective usage of mana and casts. I do have pretty high Int (31?) I think, so even without the necklace my Firestorm delivers a lot of hurt. I expect this to change when I get to demonland though, fire reesistances suck and I don't have lighning spells, only a weak-ish Ice Snake (or whatever it's called, I haven't used it yet).

I really want to find red dragons now.
Then you will like red dragons, they have also 2 square flame.

I like black dragons, they just not as good as emeralds and red, since they cant be healed or buffed. You have high int, i think was buffing my melle skills more (and most items built around mele skills), in fact my int never reached more then 28 (remeber guys, every 7 points bonus to dmg). For the most game, it was around 21, i think my attack and defense both were higher then my int in the end of the game. Demon land black dragons have their pluses, since they fire resistant, the problem of course most units do physical dmg and fire resistant. By the time i finished demon land, i had to almost completely stop dmg spells, they were just not doing as much as mass buffs debuffs. But 80% of the game dmg spells were my bread and butter.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Matrix wrote:in fact my int never reached more then 28 (remeber guys, every 7 points bonus to dmg). For the most game, it was around 21,
I ended the game with 46 int. Your damage increases with every point you gain, you just get an additional bonus every 7 points. My attack and defense were poor, but I did so much damage with magic it didn't really matter.

My ending army was black, red and green dragons, shamans and elven hunters. I think I also had a stack of inquistors in reserve. I did use inquistors quite a bit.

I tried playing again as a Warrior or Paladin, but I was just too spoiled with Magic.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Effidian wrote:
Matrix wrote:in fact my int never reached more then 28 (remeber guys, every 7 points bonus to dmg). For the most game, it was around 21,
I ended the game with 46 int. Your damage increases with every point you gain, you just get an additional bonus every 7 points. My attack and defense were poor, but I did so much damage with magic it didn't really matter.

My ending army was black, red and green dragons, shamans and elven hunters. I think I also had a stack of inquistors in reserve. I did use inquistors quite a bit.

I tried playing again as a Warrior or Paladin, but I was just too spoiled with Magic.
Sweet, i guess i didn't read properly the magic description, so accidentally turned myself into battle mage. I never really used much ranged units toward the end, they died too easly and drew to much agro, i used the slow moving tanks (crusaders i think they were called). I also was thinking starting with paladin, but considering skill tree is only 2 Item difference, and game is identical, i found it pointless.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just finished the game yesterday. Won the final battle with Haas with 9 emerald dragons and 5 archdemons left. Ended up as a lvl 28 mage.

The game was consistently addictive and challanging right up to the end. The nice thing is that there's none of the dreaded 'mop-up after you've already won' syndrome here. I'm sure I'll be wanting to play this again as a paladin next time but I'm going to take a break first to play some SoTS for a while.

This is one of the best games of its genre ever. If you like this kind of game, try it. I don't think you'll be sorry.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Man, you guys are making me jealous. I bought this Day 1 from Gamersgate, but after playing a couple of months, I started getting texture flashing. Now it has evolved into total system lock after a few minutes playing....like my video card is getting hot.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

Interesting you mention that - this game is one of only two that have ever caused my system to lock up. Kinda weird.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

On sale this weekend at Gamersgate for $9.99.

http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?pag ... &sku=DD-KB" target="_blank
marcusjm

Post by marcusjm »

Almost missed this deal. 9.99 is too good to turn down :).
XBOX LIVE gamertag DreamsurferSWE
XFire id dreamsurfer
lakers1

Post by lakers1 »

Elmo wrote:On sale this weekend at Gamersgate for $9.99.

http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?pag ... &sku=DD-KB" target="_blank
Thank you very much for posting that!

I have stopped getting the emails and haven't got round to re-starting them.

This costs $80-$100 here (boxed version)so approximately $18 in our money is a steal.

These specials are fantastic, picked up Mount & Blade the other weekend ($70-$90 here) and the UFO pack a few weeks before that.

Not sure when I will get to play them, but at those prices I don't actually care too much.

Thanks again!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

You're welcome. Not sure how much I'll have time to play it either but as you say, at that price it's cheap entertainment even if you only play a few hours.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I started playing again and i'm hooked. I found some Green Dragons in the Elf lands, but for the life of me I can't find them again. I used Google to see if I can locate them and it pointed me to this thread :D

So anyone know where the Green Dragons are??
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Jag, grab yourself a boat and skirt the coast in the elf lands. You will come to an island with a shrine on it; Green dragons a plenty. Then, a little ways up the coast, you can wander up a trail on the mainland and find even more Green dragons.

Just finished this beauty a few weeks ago and am chomping at the bit for the sequel (add-on?) Armored Princess to be released in Q3.
Jag

Post by Jag »

BigBoneTone wrote:Jag, grab yourself a boat and skirt the coast in the elf lands. You will come to an island with a shrine on it; Green dragons a plenty. Then, a little ways up the coast, you can wander up a trail on the mainland and find even more Green dragons.

Just finished this beauty a few weeks ago and am chomping at the bit for the sequel (add-on?) Armored Princess to be released in Q3.
Just found it again. Thanks.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Just got this game going after a stint with Sword of the Stars (Thank you Impulse sales). I have played HoMM since the beginning, so fully understand how these games function. That said, I am playing normal mode right now as a warrior and even "easy" battles have too many unit losses for me. Is this game balanced class-wise? it seems from my reading that even though warriors get higher leadership, and therefore more units, mages make the game so much easier. From my HoMM experience, magic-based heroes were definitely uber, so I suppose it would make sense here as well. Anyone play all the way through as both for a comparison?
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I didn't play all the way through with my Warrior, but I played enough to know that Mages have a decent advantage. I finished it with the Mage, and am not sure I'd want to play with anything except the Mage. They really need some bigger advantages for the Palladin and Warrior to make up for the Mage's advantages.
Jag

Post by Jag »

The KB boards made it clear that Mages were the best class. That said, I used a Warrior and was able to brute force my way through the game without an issue. The leadership perk was great for some huge stacks.

The game does not hand hold you though, you will find insanely tough fights that you need to bypass until you are strong enough.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Yeah I just fought 2-3 opponents that were closer to my level and took little to no losses as a mage. My warrior however, often took more losses on weak opponents. I know warriors have bigger stacks (sounds personal), but they sure do cost a lot more money to replace vs. magic use.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I named my Paladin Brave Sir Robin and I really did spend a lot of time running away.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
ScubaV

Post by ScubaV »

I've been trying a number of different army combos as I constantly hit walls where my current army sucks against the enemy. I'm in Haas' Labyrinth and I read about the Anga's Ruby tactic with sprites, lake fairies, and dryads. I saw one screenshot where a guy playing a mage with 2200 lake fairies (I have around 2400-2600) got a 36k critical on a hyena. WTF? I got a 4k crit with my fairies on some archmages (no shield). It was a hero guy, so they had extra defense but I used helplessness for -60% def. How the F do people get so much damage?
You are a noob. I pwn noobs.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ScubaV wrote:I've been trying a number of different army combos as I constantly hit walls where my current army sucks against the enemy. I'm in Haas' Labyrinth and I read about the Anga's Ruby tactic with sprites, lake fairies, and dryads. I saw one screenshot where a guy playing a mage with 2200 lake fairies (I have around 2400-2600) got a 36k critical on a hyena. WTF? I got a 4k crit with my fairies on some archmages (no shield). It was a hero guy, so they had extra defense but I used helplessness for -60% def. How the F do people get so much damage?
Buff spells most likely.
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

I can't read it from work but I just got an email from Gamers Gate saying they're having a special on the Armored Princess expansion. Has anyone picked it up or heard any feedback on it? I can't see tearing myself away from Dragon Age anytime soon but if the expansion is anywhere as good as the game I'll be adding to my backlog for sure.
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok
Jag

Post by Jag »

gwartok wrote:I can't read it from work but I just got an email from Gamers Gate saying they're having a special on the Armored Princess expansion. Has anyone picked it up or heard any feedback on it? I can't see tearing myself away from Dragon Age anytime soon but if the expansion is anywhere as good as the game I'll be adding to my backlog for sure.
Out on Nov 20. Demo is out now. Think it is a standalone sequel.
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Gwar, that's funny; probably the only thing that could drag me away from D Age is a really well done KB: AP...but I so wish that it will come through!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Scouring the internet for information on King's Bounty: The Legend units had this thread on the second page of the google search results.

I had trouble finding this thread before and had been using the Armoured Princess thread to talk about Legend. I'll try to move my conversation the game here now.

As with any game like this, I assume people have favourite units/combination of units/races/armies.

What are yours?

I'll be revisiting the whole thread, so if people have already given opinions on this, I'll read them then.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Did you check the 1C forums? A couple of months back they had some great info on the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:Did you check the 1C forums? A couple of months back they had some great info on the game.
Not specifically. Just cruising around at random.

I just learned I need to feed poisonous things to my sleem guy. From my army. But my army is full of non-poisonous guys. Does that mean I need to dismiss a stack so I have room for a stack of new units? Ugh.
astyanax

Post by astyanax »

You can garrison 3 stacks of units at large castles/towns and return for them after your, er, sacrifices... In KB:TL, you should also have two "reserve" slots in your hero's army (click the little up triangle next to the upper right of your army), but iirc, that ability might have been unlocked with a skill? Sorry, I can't remember exactly.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I haven't played in a very long time, but one of the best strategies i remember summoning units, whether via magic or other troops that can summon. Let the AI beat on your summons while you strategically take out their elite units. Also don't understimate the power of unit buffs. Casting stoneskin or armor on your Pally (for example) makes him practically invulnerable. Use magic shield against magic users, stone skin against melee, etc.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

astyanax wrote:You can garrison 3 stacks of units at large castles/towns and return for them after your, er, sacrifices... In KB:TL, you should also have two "reserve" slots in your hero's army (click the little up triangle next to the upper right of your army), but iirc, that ability might have been unlocked with a skill? Sorry, I can't remember exactly.
That could be. There are two slots that are a different size from the unit slots, and are 1 above the other in a vertical line, rather than horizontal like the unit slots. That might be what you're talking about. Right now they have greyed out text saying "N/A" so you're probably right, it is probably a skill I need to invest in.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hmm. I'm kinda stuck. My warrior is level 9, but that appears to be too weak to go to the isles of freedom. And the few stacks or quests that I have left on the starting continent are too tough as well. If I try to do them I suffer attrition that is too much to sustain.

I don't know where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do. Reading around, it seems like people aren't going to the Freedom Isles until they are at least level 12-14, but from what I can tell, there is no way there is enough exp left where I am to get me to those levels.

I'm clearly missing something.

There are some indications that I should be in the mines that the dwarves have invaded, but the guard there won't let me in and I can't seem to find anyway past him.

Hints?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Can't say I'm sure where you need to go exactly, but it sounds like there's a quest area somewhere you haven't discovered. It's going to be a long time yet until you get to visit the dwarves, so don't let yourself get confused by that. I recall that I had a lot of trouble with the enemies at the Freedom Isles when I first got there as well, but I got around that by buying a boat and exploring. Other parts of the islands are much more friendly for lower levels, but you have to pick and choose for a while, going back and forth as you go up in levels. Make sure you've thoroughly explored the original continent as well. There's a lot of XP that can be gained by using a boat there as well.
Insert witty comment here.
Jag

Post by Jag »

The game that won't die (yay!)

New expansion announced

Warriors of the North
Good day, Vikings! We welcome you to the new website dedicated to the upcoming next chapter in the King’s Bounty series – King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North. Hope you enjoy being here – make sure you read the extensive info about the new hero Olaf, his gorgeous Valkyries, new race, new battle system and new school of magic and much more.
morlac

Post by morlac »

In! I love this game. I want an IOS version.