Fallout 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Fallout 3 Impressions

Post by Grifman »

Nope, no game yet, just saving the space. And of course, we need to continue the tradition of a couple of pages of yapping until someone actually gets ahold of the game :)

BTW, I got a call from Gamestop telling me that my preorder for Fable 2 (which I did not order and has already been released) would be available Tuesday morning. I've read some others who ordered Fallout got that call. Talk about your screwups! :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Lee

Re: Fallout 3 Impressions

Post by Lee »

Grifman? You? I never thought you would be the premature thread maker.

(Just doing my fair share of getting us to page 2.)
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

Padding. Padding never changes.
Montag

Post by Montag »

So I preordered at Gamestop for in store pickup. The website says ships 10/28/08. Does this mean it will be at the store at 10/28 or that it is being shipped to the store on 10/28 with it being there after 10/28?
words
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I still don't own a dual core (can't afford any upgrades until the coming summer) and Steam has this for the system requirements:
System Requirements
Operating system: Windows XP/Vista
Processor: Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB (XP)/ 2 GB (Vista)
Hard disk space: 7 GB
Video: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM
Sound: DirectX®: 9.0c
Controller support: Xbox 360 controller
I didn't see the dual core requirement anywhere else - just a typo?

Edit: NM - found confirmation that Steam is listing the recommended specs, not the minimum
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Yeah, if the XBox 360 controller were required, I would be looking on with a jaundiced eye.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

zinckiwi wrote:Padding. Padding never changes.

Can pick up Tuesday
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Montag wrote:So I preordered at Gamestop for in store pickup. The website says ships 10/28/08. Does this mean it will be at the store at 10/28 or that it is being shipped to the store on 10/28 with it being there after 10/28?
The stores already have it in the back. You can pick it up tomorrow, or possibly at midnight tonight if you are store is doing that, some are.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Got a call from Ashley that my store is having Midnight Madness tonight.

My hardbound guide is also en route from Amazon.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't play console games, but Circuit City was advertising a free strategy guide and $10 gift card for this game during football yesterday.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jeff V wrote:I don't play console games, but Circuit City was advertising a free strategy guide and $10 gift card for this game during football yesterday.
According to the newspaper ad, that applies to the PC version as well.

Still haven't fallen off the fence on this one, so I am doing my part to move things along to page 2.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I pre-ordered through Steam. Can't wait to see how their servers work on Day 1 release of this game. I might get 56k modem flashbacks. It would be nice if they let us pre-load and then just activate tomorrow.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
pad152

Post by pad152 »

IceBear wrote:I still don't own a dual core (can't afford any upgrades until the coming summer) and Steam has this for the system requirements:
System Requirements

Edit: NM - found confirmation that Steam is listing the recommended specs, not the minimum
The following is from the official fallout 3 website!
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/faq.html" target="_blank

What are the PC system requirements?

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP/Vista
* 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
* 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 2 GB System RAM
* NvidiaDirect X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

My guess is your gona have to tone everything down to get to run with the min requirements!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Anyone else pre-order from GoGamer? They seem to like to take your pre-order and then not ship till after the street date. This is the second time I have had a pre-order from them go from processing to back ordered.

I guess I will just use them for older games, and leave the pre-orders to the B&M stores.

<shrug>
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I don't play console games, but Circuit City was advertising a free strategy guide and $10 gift card for this game during football yesterday.

Still haven't fallen off the fence on this one, so I am doing my part to move things along to page 2.

Also, there's apparently a 10 dollar off coupon in the mini-guide that comes with the CC copy that you can use against the official strategy guide. With the 10 dollar CC gift card, you effectively can get the strat guide for free. methinks I'll be doing that. :)
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

pad152 wrote:
IceBear wrote:I still don't own a dual core (can't afford any upgrades until the coming summer) and Steam has this for the system requirements:
System Requirements

The following is from the official fallout 3 website!
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/faq.html" target="_blank

What are the PC system requirements?

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP/Vista
* 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
* 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 2 GB System RAM
* NvidiaDirect X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

My guess is your gona have to tone everything down to get to run with the min requirements!
Yeah, but I did that with Far Cry (which has similar - if not steeper requirements) and it runs and still looks pretty good (I'm not that much of a graphics whore really). In all honesty, I suspect I'll lose interest in Fallout 3 in a couple of days just like I did with Oblivion - open ended games and me don't really get along, but I hate feeling left out when everyone else is playing a big release and I'm not.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Icebear wrote:...but I hate feeling left out when everyone else is playing a big release and I'm not.
Same here. I don't have the PC that can run it. I'll be upgrading very soon (hopefully), so I'm just going to sit here and spectate.
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

hepcat wrote:
tgb wrote:

Also, there's apparently a 10 dollar off coupon in the mini-guide that comes with the CC copy that you can use against the official strategy guide. With the 10 dollar CC gift card, you effectively can get the strat guide for free. methinks I'll be doing that. :)
That's a good deal, but man do I hate Circuit City. Do you know if the ad had that "in-store by 2pm" guarantee attached to it?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

PR_GMR wrote:
Icebear wrote:...but I hate feeling left out when everyone else is playing a big release and I'm not.
Same here. I don't have the PC that can run it. I'll be upgrading very soon (hopefully), so I'm just going to sit here and spectate.
Yeah, unfortunately for me, with the divorce it'll be next summer before I can upgrade so I'll just play it for awhile ugly and get bored and hope that by the time I upgrade my system the mods will make it more or less fun for me :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

B Dog wrote:
hepcat wrote:
tgb wrote:

That's a good deal, but man do I hate Circuit City. Do you know if the ad had that "in-store by 2pm" guarantee attached to it?
all i see in the CC ad is a promise that the game will be there on tuesday. :?
He won. Period.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I have to say that Fallout 3 is the first game that really, really has me torn between the PC and console versions. Two months ago it would have been PC, no second thoughts. Now, though, I'm too conscious of my dated video card (256MB nVidia 7600GS) to jump right in with the PC version. Even though it's $10 more, the 360 version and its seductive promises of "psst...smooth frame rates" and "baby, I swear, no tweaking required..." have me seriously considering the console version. I might pick up a new video card by Christmas, but I'm not waiting that long to play Fallout 3.

The two games I use as benchmarks that have me really confused are Crysis and Oblivion. Crysis I could get to run decently, but I had to tone down the graphics and it was definitely not 30+ fps. Oblivion, though, I can run with a bunch of POOP stuff installed and, unless I'm on horseback running through the landscape, it looks great and runs smooth. I can't figure out where Fallout 3 will fall in there.

This is a situation where the inability to return console and PC games REALLY BITES. Otherwise I'd pick up the PC version and if it didn't work well, just swap it for the 360. Now I have to pick one and live with it.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

Boudreaux wrote:I have to say that Fallout 3 is the first game that really, really has me torn between the PC and console versions. Two months ago it would have been PC, no second thoughts. Now, though, I'm too conscious of my dated video card (256MB nVidia 7600GS) to jump right in with the PC version. Even though it's $10 more, the 360 version and its seductive promises of "psst...smooth frame rates" and "baby, I swear, no tweaking required..." have me seriously considering the console version. I might pick up a new video card by Christmas, but I'm not waiting that long to play Fallout 3.

The two games I use as benchmarks that have me really confused are Crysis and Oblivion. Crysis I could get to run decently, but I had to tone down the graphics and it was definitely not 30+ fps. Oblivion, though, I can run with a bunch of POOP stuff installed and, unless I'm on horseback running through the landscape, it looks great and runs smooth. I can't figure out where Fallout 3 will fall in there.

This is a situation where the inability to return console and PC games REALLY BITES. Otherwise I'd pick up the PC version and if it didn't work well, just swap it for the 360. Now I have to pick one and live with it.
O_O
I think it's clear that Fallout 3 will be closer to Oblivion (same devs, same engine) than Crysis (best visuals in videogame history, one year later it's still an exception in high requisites in pc gaming, not the rule).

If you have a strong will, just try a pirate version of the game to see how well runs. I woul say it's ethical if it's only to check the perfomance and the game doesn't have a demo, like this.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Boudreaux wrote:I have to say that Fallout 3 is the first game that really, really has me torn between the PC and console versions. Two months ago it would have been PC, no second thoughts. Now, though, I'm too conscious of my dated video card (256MB nVidia 7600GS) to jump right in with the PC version. Even though it's $10 more, the 360 version and its seductive promises of "psst...smooth frame rates" and "baby, I swear, no tweaking required..." have me seriously considering the console version. I might pick up a new video card by Christmas, but I'm not waiting that long to play Fallout 3.

I'm making an assumption that Fallout 3 will be as moddable as Oblivion (I honestly have done no research so I'm probably wrong) but if it is, no way would I get a console version for the mods
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Turin Turambar wrote: O_O
I think it's clear that Fallout 3 will be closer to Oblivion (same devs, same engine) than Crysis (best visuals in videogame history, one year later it's still an exception in high requisites in pc gaming, not the rule).
I've thought of that, and it's a good argument. The only downside is that Oblivion basically stresses my system to the max. It will run fairly smoothly, but mostly in areas where there's not a really long draw distance. Plus, I'm assuming the extra two years' worth of advances in Fallout 3 could make it just slightly beyond my system's reach.

As far as mods, I was under the impression that Bethesda was not releasing mod tools for Fallout 3 like they did with Oblivion, at least not right away.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

Same boat. I'm going 360. I'll sell off my copy in a few weeks.

My thought is that I can put off refreshing my system until at least Dragon Age is released then (Q1 2009). I'll pick up a copy of Fallout 3 for the PC at that time when there will hopefully be a number of cool mods for it.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

malichai11 wrote:
Same boat. I'm going 360. I'll sell off my copy in a few weeks.

My thought is that I can put off refreshing my system until at least Dragon Age is released then (Q1 2009). I'll pick up a copy of Fallout 3 for the PC at that time when there will hopefully be a number of cool mods for it.

Seems like a good plan.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I love it. Game's not out yet and we already have 25 posts! I knew ya'll wouldn't let me down! :)
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Ok, because of the discussions among the impressionists in this thread, I changed my pre-order of the PC version to one for the PS3 - should be delivered by Amazon tomorrow (interestingly, the shipment for "day of release" was cheaper than 2-day delivery - is that Amazon's way of getting the business of us stupid gamers?

I absolutely loved the mods for Oblivion, but I ended up spending a lot of time modding and less time playing. I also do not dare to install the latest add-on and Francesco's because I fear it might brake my modded install ...

And I have to admit that these days I prefer to play with the PS3, sitting on my sofa and enjoying the large HDTV - if the mods are coming out for the PC and they are worth it, I may consider getting the PC version and trading my PS3 version on Goozex.

Oh ... otherwise no impressions, might have more later.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

What led you to switch to the PS3? From what I've read, the PS3 version's graphics are notably worse than that of the PC and XBox 360.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Grifman wrote:What led you to switch to the PS3? From what I've read, the PS3 version's graphics are notably worse than that of the PC and XBox 360.
I saw a review of that review that said the difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is very minor. They did still give the 360 a slight edge, though. The PC version was considered better than both, graphics-wise, but they didn't clarify if that was with maxed visual options like I'm assuming it was.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Grifman wrote:What led you to switch to the PS3? From what I've read, the PS3 version's graphics are notably worse than that of the PC and XBox 360.
Well, I could buy the 360 version, but I'm not sure that it would provide better graphics on my PS3 ... :wink:

Never tried Oblivion on any console, but I believe there was not a considerable difference between the version for the 360 and for the PS3 (if any) - or am I wrong? But if you have a source, I would be glad.

UPDATE: Ok, I found this http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42490 ... ystation-3" target="_blank

While sad, I'm not too worried about it.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Just spoke to someone in the electronics dept. at SuperWalmart which is open 24/7.
He said, "there won't be anyone in the dept. that late, but just come in at midnight and ask a supervisor."
Oh, he also said its in a big box! :horse:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Turin Turambar wrote: I think it's clear that Fallout 3 will be closer to Oblivion (same devs, same engine) than Crysis (best visuals in videogame history, one year later it's still an exception in high requisites in pc gaming, not the rule).
Interestingly, doing a comparison run at CanYouRunIt?, my PC exceeds the recommended requirements for Oblivion but just exceeds the minimum requirements for Crysis and Fallout 3. The min/recommended specs for Crysis and Fallout 3 are nearly identical, actually. I'm not saying that they'll be similarly taxing, but it appears that on my PC, Crysis on lowered settings might be a better benchmark for Fallout 3 than Oblivion.

Regardless, I think I'll try the 360 version.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Agreed on the tough choice on which platform to buy for. I'm probably going to buy both, PC and PS3. I'm more of a PC gamer and I have a decent rig. But I also want to see this on my HDTV. I will play two completely different characters on each. Crazyness I know, but hey this is Fallout 3!
Zinfan

Post by Zinfan »

I'm going to be running the PC version once Amazon ships it to me (didn't spring for next day shipping). I'm loving Dead Space at the moment anyways so I can wait but reading all these impressions (those still to come anyways) will try my willpower and if I fail my saving throw I could end up with the 360 version as well.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote:
tgb wrote:

Thanks for that heads up. I preordered at Gamestop but will pick this up at CC and get a refund at Gamestop. Good deal, I glanced at the CE version of the strat guide and it looks pretty in depth.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Steam says they will have this up at 5AM PST. Crap, that's usually when I wake up. Must resist.......must wait for impressions.......
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I'll be checking here tomorrow to see the OO consensus. I don't own a PS3 or a 360, I don't think my PC is up to the task, and I don't have a lot of free time at present.

In the meantime, I'll just help push us toward Page 2 of the Impressions thread... :coffee:
Conform or be cast out!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

INSTALLING :D
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Dave Allen wrote:INSTALLING :D
Ok folks, let's move this to the second page before someone comes up with some impressions!