Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Tyra was cute when she first came on the scene in the 90s but Ive disliked her ever since. I think most people dislike her these days due to all the DWtS stuff.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am*Brian*
D’oh…thanks

Edited to correct the typo in my teasing
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 pm In SF Bay Area, news crew are now accompanied by security guards after previous robbery attempts, and just the other day one guard got shot during a robbery attempt.
Unfortunately, the guard and ex-cop has died. It's now a murder case.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 pm In SF Bay Area, news crew are now accompanied by security guards after previous robbery attempts, and just the other day one guard got shot during a robbery attempt.
The KRON4 crew was covering a story on a recent smash-and-grab robbery where 12 thieves wearing masks and hoods raided the Prime 356 clothing store on the 300 block of 14th Street.

The shots were fired around 12:20 p.m. Wednesday.

The KRON4 security guard was shot in the lower abdomen and taken to Highland Hospital for surgery, according to police.

As of 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, the guard is out of surgery and in stable condition. The guard is a former police officer.
Reward of $25000 is offered for information leading to the arrest of the individual(s) involved.
He died. :(
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was a lot of these flash mob robberies over the holiday. Shame there isn't some way to lock them in and dart them with poison so they have a suffering painful death. Maybe just gas the store then take the bad guys out for a secret lab torture project.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They need lots of cameras with dart guns attached. Darts filled with tranquilizer.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I know what a flash mob is, but how does the robbery part work?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:36 pm Was a lot of these flash mob robberies over the holiday. Shame there isn't some way to lock them in and dart them with poison so they have a suffering painful death. Maybe just gas the store then take the bad guys out for a secret lab torture project.
And the joy of the season to you, sir!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm I know what a flash mob is, but how does the robbery part work?
You're hanging out at work. Suddenly 30 cars pull out outside, 80 people jump out of them and rush into the store in masks, everyone grabs an armload, rushes back out the door and are gone in random directions within three or four minutes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was just eating some vegetable beef soup and it struck me it tasted like a soup if it was made with Slim Jims. It wasn't bad as I love Slim Jims but cant chew them any longer. But it had that jerky flavor and saltiness. I bet a soup made with Slim Jims would be good.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Want to feel old?

TIL that Viggo Mortensen is now older than Ian McKellen was when they made FOTR.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Weird to think that isn't it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Go watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. Wil Wheaton/Wesley Crusher is now older than Patrick Stewart was then.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Go watch Casablanca.

Dead. Every single one of 'em.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Brian wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:14 pm Go watch Casablanca.

Dead. Every single one of 'em.
Apparently Anita Camargo is still hanging in there.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Wow. Good on her.

She's obviously not a Bothan then

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Today
Barbados celebrated cutting ties with Queen Elizabeth II and becoming the Caribbean's latest independent republic early Tuesday with a ceremony in front of thousands that included remarks from Prince Charles and an honor for Barbados native Rihanna.

The nation officially ended 396 years of the British monarchy's reign over the island after announcing in September that Queen Elizabeth would be removed as its head of state.
Also in the crowd was the island's most prominent native, Rihanna, who was born Robyn Rihanna Fenty in Saint Michael and grew up in Bridgetown. She was given the honor of being named a National Hero of Barbados during Tuesday's ceremony.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

im tempted to go down to KZ106's radio station and stand in the lobby going "SHAME!" "SHAME!".....They claim to be a hard hitting rock station. They play old stuff only...80s and 70s.

this time they played their station ID.....We're KZ10ROCKS! &Heavy metal guitar riff* then what do they start up...U2's With or Without You. It never fails...big guitar riff then some somber pos thats NOT rock and that they've played a million times.

They actually used to be the best rock station in the area in the 80s. Then switched to classic rock....so you hear southern rock like LS and Georgia Satellites 1 million times a day. pathetic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if thats him? Sure sounds like him. I listen to his top lists all the time on iHeartRadio
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Finished watching Hanna. Kind of a bittersweet ending.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Work sends us grubhub vouchers sometimes for various lunch meetings and virtual happy hours. I usually end up getting something from a Thai place, as spicy as they have the option for (generally "Thai hot"). I tried a new place yesterday, I think I lasted about 5 bites. These folks take their spicy seriously. Zaxxon took me to a place up his way that almost killed me. This one was spicier.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

anyone have any knowledge of the new lines of non-alcoholic liquors and spirits? (example: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisu ... r-spirits/ )

i was thinking of getting the parents the MONDAY Zero Alcohol Gin and Ritual Zero Proof Tequila (mom had a liver transplant two years ago and can't drink at all, and my dad drinks... too much...) i was going to get one of the whiskies but apparently those recipes just aren't totally there yet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That sounds awful. Ive never considered alcoholess alcohol. I mean I get alcohol to get drunk or a buzz. And Gin? UGH. The one time I had gin I thought they've given me turpentine. Gin for the flavor of Gin and no alcohol is like prostitutes without the sex :)

But if they like that stuff then why not? Is it more expensive of something?..Why not just get the kick in the pants type? Wait I suppose if you're a teetotaler but would like the tastes its cool.

EDIT: And now I see the 2nd paragraph of your post. NM

EDIT2: And now Im wondering how they get the flavor without the alcohol.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 pm anyone have any knowledge of the new lines of non-alcoholic liquors and spirits? (example: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisu ... r-spirits/ )

i was thinking of getting the parents the MONDAY Zero Alcohol Gin and Ritual Zero Proof Tequila (mom had a liver transplant two years ago and can't drink at all, and my dad drinks... too much...) i was going to get one of the whiskies but apparently those recipes just aren't totally there yet.
I welcome this news. I never drink hard liquor (just beer and wine for me), but I aspire to cut out alcohol entirely.

Maybe a mix of <1% cocktails and <1% beers would make it easier.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont give 1 shit about NFTs but this one is neat looking.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:28 pm I never drink hard liquor (just beer and wine for me), but I aspire to cut out alcohol entirely.
I'm curious what makes it challenging to stop drinking alcohol. The word "aspire" seems a bit grand for such a change, in my mind.

I stopped 5 years ago mostly to cut out some calories and maybe also some excuses. You can't blame the alcohol if you stop consuming alcohol.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 am I'm curious what makes it challenging to stop drinking alcohol. The word "aspire" seems a bit grand for such a change, in my mind.

I stopped 5 years ago mostly to cut out some calories and maybe also some excuses. You can't blame the alcohol if you stop consuming alcohol.
Speaking only for myself, it would require a pretty significant act of will to stop drinking, similar to when I stopped smoking. I have a drink almost every evening. It's a powerful habit to break.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have had my share of alcohol in the past but I was never hooked on it. I just quit drinking it when I left the service. Now a days I drink like a six pack of beer a year.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When drinking started making me fill like ass, quitting wasn't a problem. When the situation warrants I might still have a drink or four but I haven't had so much as a beer in just under two years. Thanks COVID. No problems. I miss being social with a beer, but don't miss not having the beer itself. Smoking? I'm about six years out since my last cigarette and I still want a cigarette Every. Single. Day. Some days, a lot.
Holman

Post by Holman »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:17 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 am I'm curious what makes it challenging to stop drinking alcohol. The word "aspire" seems a bit grand for such a change, in my mind.

Speaking only for myself, it would require a pretty significant act of will to stop drinking, similar to when I stopped smoking. I have a drink almost every evening. It's a powerful habit to break.
Yep. This. I've trained my brain to look forwards to a few beers at the computer at the end of the day. When I skip it, my brain is like Where's the Damn Buzz?

I had similar trouble quitting smoking, but I'm now more than ten years smoke-free.
Last edited by Holman on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just noticed today's date when I wrote it down. It's a rather large (supposedly very lucky) palindrome...

kinda cool
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Only I write dates so they auto sort. Today is 20211202 unless I have to express to someone else. I'm not an engineer or anything but since keeping date iterations of anything it has made much more sense to track time like a counter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Went to the dentist yesterday for my standard checkup/cleaning. Found out that I have apparently broken my third tooth in the past 3 months. Thankfully it's old fillings and not the tooth itself, but that's a lot in such a short time. Super frustrating, especially since I'm really good about both brushing (3x per day) and flossing (every night).

Apparently I have started chewing on rocks without realizing it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm I just noticed today's date when I wrote it down. It's a rather large (supposedly very lucky) palindrome...

kinda cool
Only if you insist upon the rather illogical date and time notation used in the U.S., which differs from those used in nearly all other countries:
iso.mit.edu wrote:Image

The United States is one of the few countries that use “mm-dd-yyyy” as their date format–which is very very unique! The day is written first and the year last in most countries (dd-mm-yyyy) and some nations, such as Iran, Korea, and China, write the year first and the day last (yyyy-mm-dd). But why did Americans choose to write the month first? One of the hypotheses is that the United States borrowed the way it was written from the United Kingdom who used it before the 20th century and then later changed it to match Europe (dd-mm-yyyy). American colonists liked their original format and it’s been that way ever since.
yourdictionary.com wrote:The United States has a rather unique way of writing the date that is imitated in very few other countries (although Canada and Belize do also use the form). In America, the date is formally written in month/day/year form. Thus, “January 1, 2011” is widely considered to be correct. In formal usage, it is not appropriate to omit the year, or to use a purely numerical form of the date. For example, if you were to write a formal letter for business, you would write out the entire date, including the name of the month (January 1, 2011). Writing it out in full allows for the notation to be understood even by people for whom the month/day/year form is relatively uncommon.
It's always struck me as mildly amusing that a nation that prides itself for its extrication from the British Empire still clings to such obsolete relics of British Imperialism.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Iran, Korea and China have it right. YYYYMMDD sorts properly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I remember having a fun time at a previous company trying to figure out what the hell was happening to the app around the new year. Turned out that they were treating/storing the dates as numbers. So the sorting would get jacked up when you tried to sort the column.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:53 pm
It's always struck me as mildly amusing that a nation that prides itself for its extrication from the British Empire still clings to such obsolete relics of British Imperialism.
'reason' and 'bloody stubborn-mindedness' never mix well
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

but hey! there's this