Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Random randomness

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:55 pm Theres a fake but teachable story that goes around Facebook about how not to mess with old people that goes something like....

An old woman goes to the bank and asks the teller if she can withdraw $10. The teller says she has to use to the ATM and points over there.

The old lady has never used one and just wants $10. Again the teller says she cant help her.

So the old lady says ok then Id like to close my account and have all my money given to me.

the teller says ok and checks the old lady's account and sees she has $1,000,000. Mame! she says. You dont want to withdraw all of this do you.

The old lady says yes.

So the teller gives her her money. The old lady then asks if she can make a deposit in a new account. Of course says the teller!

So the old lady writes a check for $999,990 and ask for a her change.

Never mess with an old person.....thats the story...I like it even though its bullshit .
To me, it’s weird that someone needs a lesson/reason to not mess with an old person.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Some old people are jerks.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:13 pm Some Most old people are jerks.
ftfy
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Certainly, I'm kidding... I was taught to be respectful of the aged, especially if they show signs of disability. It's just obviously not a free pass. Old age isn't generally a reward for good behaviour. It just means you showed up and/or got lucky.

But these types of "gotcha!" stories, while amusing, always annoy me due to their blatant disingenuousness. It's fabricated to make one group look better than another group or system, and when it's plastered on the Facebook wall of someone in the same category as the supposed aggrieved, the look is even worse. I know there are many specific cases of institutions fucking around with the weak, less advantaged, and innocently ignorant. They should be fought and shamed hard. Anecdotes like this can be a tool in that fight, but truth rings clearer. But other times, the rules exist and policies change for a reason. I can't imagine there's any bank that wouldn't let an old lady withdraw $10 at the counter. But if such a situation were real, the right thing to do would be to have an employee assist the old lady at the ATM. Whether it's a one-time education session (if she's capable of it), or every single time she comes in.

This is a fairly unimaginative story of a senior citizen versus both "the man" (banks), and developing technology. It feels about as clever as a video of a man fist-fighting a self-checkout machine. The writers of these stories need to do better... I don't think anybody buys Reader's Digest anymore, and there's too much real injustice in the world.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lawnmower follies:

I bought an electric lawnmower (lithium ion battery) four years ago. I was aware that the batteries themselves are said to have a three or four year lifespan before they start having problems holding a charge.

This Spring I began to notice that the battery was weakening. When it was new in 2019 and 2020, I could cut the whole front yard and back yard on one charge. In April and May this year, though, I could only cut the front and then part of the back before having to recharge the battery for an hour or two and then finish.

Finally this past week I tried to cut the front yard and found the lawnmower shutting off only halfway through, and I hadn't even touched the back yard. I tried and tried, charging and recharging, but the lawnmower wouldn't go.

This morning I headed out to Lowe's and bought a fresh new battery. Surely, I thought, I could look forward to three or four more years of effortless lawnmowing.

I dropped in the new battery (fully charged) and was surprised to find that the lawnmower wouldn't start. Dammit! Was the mower itself at fault? Did I need a mowerrepairman?

I was dialing a friend to borrow his mower when inspiration hit me. I turned over the mower and saw that the blade was chunked up against a dense mass of muddy grass that had collected all along the inside of the mowing chamber. After clearing out all the gunk with a stick, the lawnmower was just fine and operated perfectly. It can't start when the blade can't move, and it gives the same warning beep you get when the battery is dead.

All in all: experimentation with a clean mower shows that the original battery has indeed lost some of its capacity, but it isn't worthless yet. I plan to keep the new battery so that I have a backup and can always be sure that I can finish the whole job without having to pause and recharge.

Also, clean out your lawnmower.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was gifted a sub to RD. When I read the issue and saw the same jokes as when. I was a kid, I decided against continuing to read it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I bought a years subscription for large print Readers Digest for my wife 5-6 years ago. I never renew it but it's still growing strong.
And yes, I checked to see if it renewed automatically and it didn't.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put up a sign in my kitchen this afternoon with a counter and the words “Days since last flooding”. It’s at 1 now. :(
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I do think shoe-elves are actually most known for making clogs.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lord of the Rings would have have been much better if the elves had all been Keebler elves. I’m just saying.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It always shocks me to find antikeeblerism alive and well even in this day and age.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote:I do think shoe-elves are actually most known for making clogs.
:clap:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: I didn’t get it at first. Nice one!
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Racists with yer elves preferences. Next thing ya know you'll show up at book clubs with The Lusty Argonian Maid.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have my Alexa set to respond to "Computer."

Watching the finale of Enterprise.

Riker, walking down the deserted Enterprise corridor on the holodeck:

"Computer! Add appropriate crew complement, objective mode."

Alexa:

"Added 'appropriate fruit complement, objective mode' to shopping list."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:38 pm I have my Alexa set to respond to "Computer."

Watching the finale of Enterprise.

Riker, walking down the deserted Enterprise corridor on the holodeck:

"Computer! Add appropriate crew complement, objective mode."

Alexa:

"Added 'appropriate fruit complement, objective mode' to shopping list."
You can do that? (I don't have one.)

I've always wondered what happens in households with a daughter named Alexa or Siri.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have mine set that way so I can say: “Computer, play something funky.”
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

If I had one, I would name it "Lieutenant Uhura."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister asked her phone a question and instead of the standard female Im used to it was a British male voice. I laughed so much.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can select from “Alexa,” “Amazon,” “Echo,” and “Computer.”
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I set my Waze voice to British female. Wife calls her "Fiona."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I set Siri to an Aussy male voice. But when I upgraded my operating system it said I could no longer do that without paying extra. F that noise.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Siri is female Aussie
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I’m at someone’s house and they have Alexa, I like to sometimes utter the words “Alexa, play Michael Bolton every day at 3:45 am and 7 am.” when they leave the room.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:48 pm
You can select from “Alexa,” “Amazon,” “Echo,” and “Computer.”
That's outdated. I know for a fact that you can also call it Ziggy.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Does one need to brush their teeth just from drinking diet soda?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:03 pm If I’m at someone’s house and they have Alexa, I like to sometimes utter the words “Alexa, play Michael Bolton every day at 3:45 am and 7 am.” when they leave the room.
:lol:

You sneaky, scandalous cat you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am probably going to have to change mine from 'Computer' to 'Ziggy' before I go into the TNG era, or my shopping list will be three pages of Earl Grey tea (hot).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

cnet 2021
This year, Amazon has increased its Echo wake words by two: Ziggy and Hey, Disney, which Amazon announced at its big event on Sept. 28.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what the EMTs use on their electrodes they stick on you but its like model cement mixed with rubber. I pulled the rodes off but the ring they left would not budge. I had to use GooGone in the end.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a hairy chest. Just rips all my chest hair out. You must have a clear baby chest.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just shrug it off and let it vanish over time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back about 12 years ago me and my wife got each of us a little cactus at the local grocery store. Just hand sized ones in a little pot. All other plants we got died. So figured a cactus might live. We were right. Both her's and mine are still alive. We each got different types thinking one may make it lol. Anyways they have not changed in 10 years..not grown...and they stopped blooming. Frankly they have started looking a bit off. Im sure the pots are both too little for them and the soil is empty of nutrients.

So for months Ive planned to get a bigger pot and some cactus mix soil and replant them together in one bigger pot. I was finally able to buy this stuff Friday. Today Im thinking of changing them but suddenly Im looking at them and I have no idea how Im going to actually move them and not hurt myself lol. One has bigger thorns which makes it easier but the other are tiny thorns and many of them. Im thinking of using my thick leather work gloves but Im worried they'll stick in them and Ill have to throw them away cause those little hair like ones will work their way through them and into my fingers.

my granny scared me as a kid when I got some in my hand and she said they'd work their way to your bones...thanks granny.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:15 pm Back about 12 years ago me and my wife got each of us a little cactus at the local grocery store. Just hand sized ones in a little pot. All other plants we got died. So figured a cactus might live. We were right. Both her's and mine are still alive. We each got different types thinking one may make it lol. Anyways they have not changed in 10 years..not grown...and they stopped blooming. Frankly they have started looking a bit off. Im sure the pots are both too little for them and the soil is empty of nutrients.

So for months Ive planned to get a bigger pot and some cactus mix soil and replant them together in one bigger pot. I was finally able to buy this stuff Friday. Today Im thinking of changing them but suddenly Im looking at them and I have no idea how Im going to actually move them and not hurt myself lol. One has bigger thorns which makes it easier but the other are tiny thorns and many of them. Im thinking of using my thick leather work gloves but Im worried they'll stick in them and Ill have to throw them away cause those little hair like ones will work their way through them and into my fingers.

my granny scared me as a kid when I got some in my hand and she said they'd work their way to your bones...thanks granny.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:14 pm I just shrug it off and let it vanish over time.
Winner.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:13 pm I have a hairy chest. Just rips all my chest hair out. You must have a clear baby chest.
Wasn't any on my chest..they put one on each shoulder'ish area and one on each side of my belly. But yes I dont have mountain man amounts of chest hair. Hardly had any until I was in my 20s.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. Why is Oscar Mayer regular bologna like rubber now days .

2. I think my muscle relaxer is different somehow. Usually my muscle relaxer is like a bus that picks me up in the morning and shows me the sights around town. But this refill is that but it shows up again at 6pm on a motorcycle with a side car and takes me through the seedy back alleys at full throttle.

I looked it up and its the right pill but dang. It helps like normal but when its should taper off it starts to then it comes back and hits me like an aluminum bat .

Must be a fresh batch.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bologna has always tasted like rubber.