Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:04 pm The hard part of that graphic for me is that I'm near the beginning of the GenX range, and I definitely don't feel like I have much in common with someone born in 1980. Though... my wife is 10 years younger. But she actually got "retro" for a while and watched a lot of the stuff that I grew up with. So it hasn't felt like much of a knowledge gap. I haven't had to disown her yet for not being familiar with a "classic". :D
Born in 70 I feel I have more in common with someone born in 1980 (though not much) than I do with someone born in 65. 70-80 see more in common with music and general culture but much like I don't see tech like someone from 65, I don't see tech like someone from 80. Someone from 65 still used letters to describe phone exchanges. "Transylvania 65000" is part of who they are. Someone from 80 doesn't remember rotary phones nor even pulse dialing. Waiting to dial each number individually is part of who we are.

From over a decade ago...

I watched the whole thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I didn't, but that screen cap makes me want to play Dead Island again. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If you're into zombie bikini girls, let's just say... there are sites. And Daehawk knows them all.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... I'm into them in-so-much as I want to kick them until they fall down and then stomp on the head so that it explodes. But I don't get the sense that that is what you meant.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hey man, whatever does it for you. :?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:29 pm Heh, I don't think of 65 as GenX. I guess I'm too self centered. I think of 65 as the keeping up with the "the Jonses" generation. I think of GenX starting around 67 or maybe into 66. I don't know why 65 seems too old. Probably because being born in 65 means you likely have clear memories of Viet Nam war, the Gas Crunch, Nixon, gang fights before drive bys, a world where the greenhouse effect wasn't a thing, and vague memories of landing on the moon. Generational things I can't really relate to.
Most lists I see have GenX as 1965-1980. Typical Xer is a teenager in the 1980s, which sounds right to me. And even the oldest (like my sister) is only 7 years old when Nixon resigns.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My oldest boy is now a high-school senior, so it's time for college visits.

I just put together an itinerary that has us (starting out from Philly) visiting four schools in three days and taking us into Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maine. A week or so later we'll hit three more schools in Pennsylvania and New York.

This will be a lot of time on the road. I plan to exploit the father/son time to narrate my entire college experience to my captive audience. He'll hate that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Whereabouts in MA?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:54 pm This will be a lot of time on the road. I plan to exploit the father/son time to narrate my entire college experience to my captive audience. He'll hate that.

If I narrated my college experience to someone I might end up in handcuffs... or in an asylum :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 pm Whereabouts in MA?
Tufts.

On this trip we're hitting Wesleyan, Tufts, Bowdoin, and Bates.

My kid has apparently decided he's a New Englander.

(edit: mizpeled "Wesleyan")
Last edited by Holman on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember in my youth I was in a shape that was other than 'out of'.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:38 am I remember in my youth I was in a shape that was other than 'out of'.
I was thinner and less prone to aches and pains when I was younger. Hiking up and down sandy hills for hours when I was 14-15 gave me rock solid legs during that two year period. But other than that... despite some times when I got some activity, I spent way too much time sitting and reading, or painting, or playing D&D, or watching TV.

I realize right now that I wasn't in better shape when I was younger - I was just younger. I'm probably in better shape right now than I ever have been in my life (not that I'd actually call myself 'in shape' - yet.)

I also realize that it would have been amazing to experience both 'in shape' and 'young' at the same time.

But one of those ships has sailed, and I'll just enjoy what I have.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Some guy on the Price is Right today won a new Tiny House worth $130,000. I wonder what Calif and fed taxes are on that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:51 am My kid has apparently decided he's a New Englander.
Very smart kid.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:42 pm Some guy on the Price is Right today won a new Tiny House worth $130,000. I wonder what Calif and fed taxes are on that.
CA property taxes are based on sales price, which in that case is pretty low. After that they can only go up 1% per year, unless you sell for a higher price. My guess is Fed taxes treat that as income.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:06 pm The wife and I are boomers, although I think of us as the Greatest :D

Muhammad Ali !!!
U2K!
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:42 pm Some guy on the Price is Right today won a new Tiny House worth $130,000. I wonder what Calif and fed taxes are on that.
CA property taxes are based on sales price, which in that case is pretty low. After that they can only go up 1% per year, unless you sell for a higher price. My guess is Fed taxes treat that as income.
My assumption on those types of prizes is that the winner is given an option between accepting the prize valued at $130K or taking a cash payout at $100K (or something like that). In either event, I believe they'd treat it as income (all the more reason to take the cash so you can just pay the taxes).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:06 pm The wife and I are boomers, although I think of us as the Greatest :D

Muhammad Ali !!!
U2K!
:clap:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:57 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:51 am My kid has apparently decided he's a New Englander.
Very smart kid.
Yup, New England has a lot going for it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:45 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 pm
My assumption on those types of prizes is that the winner is given an option between accepting the prize valued at $130K or taking a cash payout at $100K (or something like that). In either event, I believe they'd treat it as income (all the more reason to take the cash so you can just pay the taxes).

No cash payouts. You can sell it later of course. You have to pay California (sales or income I'm not sure) tax on it before you can pick it up. The feds count it as income.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:38 am I remember in my youth I was in a shape that was other than 'out of'.
I was thinner and less prone to aches and pains when I was younger. Hiking up and down sandy hills for hours when I was 14-15 gave me rock solid legs during that two year period. But other than that... despite some times when I got some activity, I spent way too much time sitting and reading, or painting, or playing D&D, or watching TV.

I realize right now that I wasn't in better shape when I was younger - I was just younger. I'm probably in better shape right now than I ever have been in my life (not that I'd actually call myself 'in shape' - yet.)

I also realize that it would have been amazing to experience both 'in shape' and 'young' at the same time.

But one of those ships has sailed, and I'll just enjoy what I have.
I'm in much better shape than most people I see around my age... and pretty damn close to the worst shape of my life.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The Suicide Channel
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, I thought I'd finally lost my mind today. I wound up on a PC Mag article, "Microsoft Accounts No Longer Require a Password". Being genuinely curious what the alternatives are, I skimmed it. It mentioned "Windows Hello". WTF is Windows Hello? So I googled it. In the upper right corner of automatic image results was a blue Windows screen with a happy face. Underneath it it said, "Hello Sudy". :shock: Well, not hello Sudy--but my actual given name. It probably didn't help that I'd been smoking. I was convinced big data had finally shed all pretense and was marketing to me by name. It was harder to explain how Microsoft had inserted itself into Google's search results.

Anyhow, it turns out the image is from the Windows Hello page on Wikipedia.nl and the use of my name is coincidental. Or is it.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to find 2 products to repair my old wooden bar stool. Plz no hacksaw pics :)

Its a very old simple wooden bar stool.

1. The top is comi9ng apart on the first and second layer of wood. We used the stool as a humidifier stand for bedside and it leaked and ruined the top. Im thinking something like a small cushion to screw or glue on or perhaps even another thin piece of wood.

2. One leg is shorter than the others. It will actually tip over if something if sitting on top of the stool. There are no feet on it. I have no idea how one got shorter. This presents a problem. I was thinking of a foot pad thing like goes on canes and such but its not big enough to fix the slant.

Have no plans to sit on the stool ever again but would like to use it as a flower pot holder or some such decoration.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm no expert, but it might be easier to shorten three legs than to lengthen one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Some sort of chair feet levelers? Like https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Levele ... 07PSBNNQQ/. Will depend on how much diameter you have on the legs. There are likely different sized options. That was just the first one that seemed to match what I was looking for.

For the stool, something like https://www.amazon.com/Shinnwa-Cushion- ... 07X3RTNL8/? Though with the padding it might not be appropriate for a plant. But something with elastic might make it easy to attach it.

Searching for "stool cover" instead of "stool cushion" gave some non-padded options like https://www.amazon.com/Therapists-Choic ... 07QYFRDGN/.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:34 pm I'm no expert, but it might be easier to shorten three legs than to lengthen one.
If it's not a lot of difference, some sand paper and time might solve the problem.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Themix's suggestion look good. Thanks guys. I will need to check it over really well to make sure that leg isn't totally rotten at the bottom so as to nail that into.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just a thought, but when you're pricing a new top and leg fix, also price a new stool. If you're just using it for a plant holder and not a butt, you may be able to get a cheap equivalent for less than fixing that one. Mix's legs plus top is about $24. Here's a new one for $26. Same price, likely better results.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unless of course the point of the exercise is that the old stool has sentimental value.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Both good points.

Also, I just clicked on the first result that looked like it might work. I did no additional research. I would be surprised if the ones I linked were the cheapest, or the best.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats a lot nicer stool but ya this one has been ours a long time. In laws before us.

You should see the family chair. It came over on a ship like the mayflower. Been in my family all these years. Its always given to the oldest boy but I didn't want to be responsible for it so let my sister take possession. She gave it to my nephew. He has kids who will get it. He should be responsible as a lt col in the army lol.

It was a rocking chair but the rockers are long gone and the legs worn down to near the seat. Its actually an amazingly old and wonderful heirloom.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, you make a sandwich at about 8:30 at night and fail to put the mayonnaise back in the fridge. It's a new squeeze bottle that you just unsealed.

And maybe this is to Smoove really, but I'd be curious what the hive mind would do...

When you wake up in the morning, do you trash your new mayonnaise and buy a new one, or do you stick it in the fridge and move on?
(I mean, you can answer Daehawk, but I'm pretty sure I know what you will say) :ninja:
Last edited by Unagi on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The internet says to toss it after 2 hours at room temperature.

The other internet says that it is fine as long as it hasn't been cross-contaminated, which would be difficult to do with squeeze bottle packaging. With a squeeze bottle, there seems to be very little difference between an opened vs unopened bottle in terms of exposing the mayo to contamination, and before it's opened it can be safely stored at room temperature.

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

In my case, I'd probably notice that it was 5 months past the use by date, then toss it. Back in the fridge.
Last edited by Max Peck on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Me too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I would toss it away. Too many food poisonings. Ive tried VERY diligently to avoid it again yet it happened just a month or so back yet again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 am And maybe this is to Smoove really, but I'd be curious what the hive mind would do...
Commercially prepared mayonnaise is acidified to address bacterial growth, so that's going to help. For a squeeze bottle, I'd expect lower potential contamination of the product as you're not lowering a knife inside - the mayo is more or less "isolated" from the outside (as pointed out by Max). Here, the risk would be if you left it uncapped, but even that is kind low, imho.

Remember, when you purchase mayo it's off the shelf. I think it's likely it's not going to last as long in your fridge (spoilage), but in terms of being something I'd throw out? I probably wouldn't (which might come as a surprise). Generally speaking, if it's a commercially prepared condiment it's not really something we'd consider high risk out of temperature, unless the contamination occurred during manufacture.

Now if it was homemade mayo? Hell no. Not fresh, not left out on the counter.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont like the idea of going from room temp like in store to cold in fridge then back to room temp.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Random thought re entered my head today.....Hedwig and the Angry Inch. LOL where did that come from. Thats old school.