Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

The Fins are just polishing it up for you. Making sure no Ruskies get through.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I always thought the Fins were a musical group of fish and the Finns were a Scandinavian country.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm just glad they finnaly finnished sending my thingamabob.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Enlarge Image

I love the bars with the frosted panel to keep the beers cold. This is only the second one I ran into.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Walk. Its safer. Theres no rush. That frosty counter will still be there.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When you're selling something and you clearly state it does not work, why does everyone msg you asking if it works?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:37 pm When you're selling something and you clearly state it does not work, why does everyone msg you asking if it works?
You should try writing that it doesn’t work in the description.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:26 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:37 pm When you're selling something and you clearly state it does not work, why does everyone msg you asking if it works?
You should try writing that it doesn’t work in the description.
Yes, its still available.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:07 pm My oldest kid recently started college.

He's studying international relations, has joined the fencing club, and is continuing his volunteer work on weekends restoring a three-masted sailing ship.

I'm pretty sure he's preparing for a career in 18th-century piracy.
Is he working on Gazela?

(sorry I am a couple of weeks behind on this thread)
Conform or be cast out!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:08 pmI can't understand wanting to kill healthy, living things that started growing before they were born and would have kept on living after they're gone. The first couple of trees that they killed last spring were kind of marginal, and the sycamore was too close to their house, so I understood that (even though sycamores are rare around here).
I'm with you there. I'm the guy who has to deal with all the leaves every year around this time, but I love the fact that I have several large trees around my house (as long as they stay vertical, anyway).

I did have to have two large maples professionally removed shortly after we bought the house, but that was only because they unhealthy and becoming dangerous.

I also had one very large tree from just outside my property come down and narrowly miss my house. It was on NJ state property because a state high runs behind my house, so after some argument they did in fact come and remove the tree-corpse from my yard.
Conform or be cast out!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:58 pm

He's studying international relations, has joined the fencing club, and is continuing his volunteer work on weekends restoring a three-masted sailing ship.

Is he working on Gazela?

He is! You know it?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:07 pm I did have to have two large maples professionally removed shortly after we bought the house, but that was only because they unhealthy and becoming dangerous.
Maples are the rats of trees. They're forever dropping flowers, pollen, seeds, or leaves, and their seeds sprout everywhere. They're attractive and provide nice shade, but they're assholes. One of my spring chores is to hunt down and pull up the seedlings that sprout in my hedge and everywhere else. I still won't kill them just for being dirty breeders, but I've had two mature ones die on me. One was stripped by inchworms for two consecutive years and was too weak to survive the next year's drought. The other one strangled itself. An arborist told me that Norway maples' roots sometimes wrap around their trunks and cut off the flow of nutrients.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Every time that I see an AWS ad, I briefly think that it's talking to or about me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got a beautiful maple beside my driveway. Its at least twice as big as it was when I first came here a bit over 30 years ago. It now reaches out over the driveway like a covered bridge. After a rain sometimes I find the need to trim some weight off the branches so they're not too low. Really pretty. But ya I do find little saplings sprouting everywhere.

My wife said her father planted it many years ago and it was very small.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:15 pm Every time that I see an AWS ad, I briefly think that it's talking to or about me.
I expect you to serve my web, Mr. Amazon.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well kids Taco Bell is bringing back that item we've missed for a long ass time now...the enchirido.

https://www.tacobell.com/fan-favorite-voting

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:46 pm Well kids Taco Bell is bringing back that item we've missed for a long ass time now...the enchirido.

https://www.tacobell.com/fan-favorite-voting

Enlarge Image
I've not missed this at all. WTF is it?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Based on the photo, a 450-pound man eats a burrito whole, then vomits it back out on a plate.

With cheese.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:41 pm
Hrdina wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:58 pm

Is he working on Gazela?

He is! You know it?
Yes, a good friend of mine (who has since passed away) used to work on Gazela. It's a beautiful ship, and the work on it is never done. :D
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. I dont know how my phone pocketdials or whatever but if I forget to turn it completely off before pocketing it then when I get it out its trying to install some app...every time. Never the same app. To do it needs to swipe to the next page, click the apps button, then find an app randomly to start to install. All this within 6 minutes of being put into my pocket and driving home.

2. Theres a McDonalds near me that my wife used to work at for a few years. Ive been ONE time since like 2015. But since I was passing it I decided before I left id see whats for breakfast since Im out. I see I can get a Sausage egg mcmuffin meal for under $5...something like $4.64...woo alright. I order and its nearly $8! Geez.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

smart
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:1. I dont know how my phone pocketdials or whatever but if I forget to turn it completely off before pocketing it then when I get it out its trying to install some app...every time. Never the same app. To do it needs to swipe to the next page, click the apps button, then find an app randomly to start to install. All this within 6 minutes of being put into my pocket and driving home.
I have a pair of polyester hiking shorts that I often wear outside when I'm doing yardwork. They're great because they dry quickly when I'm sweating, but if my phone screen isn't completely off when I put the phone in my pocket, something about that material allows the movement in my pocket to operate the phone. The synthetic material must have some similarity to the stuff they put on the fingertips of phone-compatible gloves that allows it to work. I've had everything from skipping/pausing my music, to dialing numbers and sending gibberish text messages.

Now that I know, I just have to make sure the screen is off before I put the phone in my pocket. If I forget, all bets are off on what might happen.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I once sent a pocketdial text of gibberish to my ex-wife and she got offended, thinking I was trying to mock her.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My phone regularly does random stuff when I'm out walking. I can't turn it off because I'm using it to track my time and distance and to play music. So I go to a screen with only a few icons and put it to sleep using the button on the right. It somehow wakes up in my pocket and changes settings, launches random apps, takes screenshots (which are supposed to be hard to do), and sometimes initiates phone calls. It loves to put itself into airplane mode or change notifications to silent. Once it switched to some random language that I didn't recognize; that one was hard to fix. I wish I could make it stop, but it's a smart phone so I assume it just knows better than I do.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Do you keep it with the screen facing your leg? Touchscreens can activate through thin cloth. Try a case or a lock screen.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have an Otterbox case for my phone (with built in screen protector). It never does anything odd. I don't know if the case mitigates or not. Every phone before this always did, and I always had the Internet turned off because of it. There was nothing quite like not having an Internet plan and getting billed $800 in fees and having to go through the run around of not paying them. Now that I have an Internet plan for the first time since my HandSpring had one in 2003, I think, I'd have more concern with draining the battery than with the phone doing app things.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wasted a whole day waiting for delivery signature required that was out for delivery at 09:00. Blech. It would be nice to have a better delivery window than "estimated by 21:00" UPS. I'd have rather had a pickup, driven to the next town over, and waited in line than be tied to waiting around worried that if I am doing *anything* or heaven forbid have to leave for 15 minutes that I'll miss the knock at the door. In this decade, you'd think you could track a truck/route, even if you can't get a better estimate.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I belong to an ambulance service. I pay them a membership every year and I get free service.
Last year when I got their bill they sent it back because they no longer take checks.
This year I went online to pay it but they didn't recognize me. I called them and was told their site was down and to send a check. They knew nothing about not sending checks.
I went ahead and sent it in but personally I've never used their services. My wife used them 3-4 times a year but with her no longer around I wonder if it will be worth it next year.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:12 pm Do you keep it with the screen facing your leg? Touchscreens can activate through thin cloth. Try a case or a lock screen.
Random whether the screen faces skinward or skyward. When I use the button to blank the screen it ought to go to sleep, and I usually have to use my fingerprint or pass code to wake it back up. Somehow it still engages in shenanigans. I'm especially impressed when it takes screenshots, since I don't even know how to do that myself.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:15 pm Every time that I see an AWS ad, I briefly think that it's talking to or about me.
Even once they get to the 261st? ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Sometimes I feel that around 1990 or so I forgot the English language. So many new words and acronyms. I think I understand olde English better than I do modern English. Not to mention my hearing volume has gone down.
<sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

olde english is older than old english, right?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:02 pm olde english is older than old english, right?
Not as old as olde Ænglish. But still newer than anything with 'ye' in it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And let's not get into the new personalities.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Every time I call this one place some girl answers and when I ask if she has nice legs and breasts or how her thighs are she hangs up on me. Im never going to find out what the chicken is like at my local KFC with her working there.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:16 am 1. I dont know how my phone pocketdials or whatever but if I forget to turn it completely off before pocketing it then when I get it out its trying to install some app...every time. Never the same app. To do it needs to swipe to the next page, click the apps button, then find an app randomly to start to install. All this within 6 minutes of being put into my pocket and driving home.
My phone has a pocket mode that disables interaction whenever it's in a pocket. It does that by using the camera's infrared sensor as an interrupt. Great feature. More phones should have this.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All phones should have that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:16 am 1. I dont know how my phone pocketdials or whatever but if I forget to turn it completely off before pocketing it then when I get it out its trying to install some app...every time. Never the same app. To do it needs to swipe to the next page, click the apps button, then find an app randomly to start to install. All this within 6 minutes of being put into my pocket and driving home.
My phone has a pocket mode that disables interaction whenever it's in a pocket. It does that by using the camera's infrared sensor as an interrupt. Great feature. More phones should have this.
Where would I look to see if I have this?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mine has a 'lock' screen. But I cant find it and it shows up only from pocket lol.
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:55 am Sometimes I feel that around 1990 or so I forgot the English language. So many new words and acronyms. I think I understand olde English better than I do modern English. Not to mention my hearing volume has gone down.
<sigh>
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.