Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

Re: Random randomness

Post by Jaymon »

When going to an event, and buying a shirt, the most important thing is to shop first, drink second.
If you drink first, shop second, then you end up with a hundred dollar shirt that doesn't fit.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was at this Boy Harsher show a while back and i was mostly there to see the opener, Spellling. a very intoxicated friend at the time bought me a shirt for the opener as an apology for an earlier drunken infraction. i didn't want it as i really wasn't into the design, and it turns out the shirt itself was poor quality - thin, rough and the neckband stretched out extremely quickly. the tag says "Fruit of the Loom HD" which goes to show that even the old standbys have dropped their standards. and for $30 !!

worst quality t-shirts i've encountered in modern times are still "Delta" brand. i have some of them (i think they are 'Pro-Weight') and they are all just awful
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Has anyone else heard about this?

Is Someone Hacking Airplane Intercoms?
Holman

Post by Holman »

My oldest kid recently started college.

He's studying international relations, has joined the fencing club, and is continuing his volunteer work on weekends restoring a three-masted sailing ship.

I'm pretty sure he's preparing for a career in 18th-century piracy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MIT Pirate Certificate
The MIT Pirate Certificate became available in the Fall of 2011. Students who have completed Archery, Fencing, Pistol (Air Pistol or Rifle) and Sailing should send an email to ahoymitpe@mit.edu with name and MIT ID number once grades are posted for all four courses. Check PE&W history after each quarter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:56 pm Has anyone else heard about this?

That's a significant issue if they can hack the PA and call the cockpit. Hopefully they will figure out the method soon.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The rain in Albany falls flatly on the balcony.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How dare you, on the day of my cat’s quinceañera?!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gbasden wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:21 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:56 pm Has anyone else heard about this?

That's a significant issue if they can hack the PA and call the cockpit. Hopefully they will figure out the method soon.
American Airlines responded and said that all PA systems are internalized only and are not externally accessible. If true, I suspect someone in the plane is playing a prank, it's picking up some raunchy activities from the captain's cabin/the bathroom or something.
He won. Period.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:16 pm How dare you, on the day of my cat’s quinceañera?!
If it rains on the day
of your cats quinceañera
don't be too concerned
because the cats don't seem to care-a
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

TIL that Amazon can get a package from the UK to my door in pretty much exactly the same amount of time that they get one to me from the distribution center a few kms down the road. I ordered the item on Sunday, it shipped on Monday and was delivered this afternoon.

The expected delivery date was 7 Oct, so kudos to DHL I guess. That's a phrase I never expected to type. Some of my worst courier experiences (pre-pandemic) were with DHL.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I can die content now. I watched an Icelandic comic on Netflix. Probably the only one in the world. And I can understand why, given his sense of humor.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:30 pm I can die content now. I watched an Icelandic comic on Netflix. Probably the only one in the world. And I can understand why, given his sense of humor.
Pretty sure we watched him too. A lot of it fell kind of flat for us. He wasn't terrible. There are plenty that I turn off a few minutes in; we did watch the entire show. But it wasn't very memorable.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There are only a few comedians I consider must watch:

Louis CK
Bill Burr
Jimmy Carr
Jim Gaffigan
Dave Chappelle
Tom Segura
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A few nights ago I ordered something impulsively from a Facebook ad. It's a little inexpensive gadget that I didn't know exists that promises to solve a minor vexation. Cool. I paid my nine bucks, plus tax, plus shipping. Then I paid some more tax. Like, nearly 50% tax. WTF? Well, even though I've now paid double the list price it still isn't that much money and I still want the gadget, and now it's slowly making its way to me. Across Finland. I ordered it from Finland.

I'm never going to see my gadget, am I?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s a pudding cannon, isn’t it?

Has to be. Getting large quantities of pudding across great distances has always vexed me too.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:54 pm I ordered it from Finland.

This still cracks me the hell up - its the "feel the fire" near the end; Gets me every time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I ordered a game from Sweden once. Got here pretty fast. A new game called Dominions. Unfortunately I didn't like the game.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought this Twitter thread was really interesting (and really long). I had never heard of the Tripitaka Koreana before and am fascinated how they managed to make it last so long.

The Tripitaka Koreana - carved on 81258 woodblocks in the 13th century - is the most successful large data transfer over time yet achieved by humankind. 52 million characters of information, transmitted over nearly 8 centuries with zero data loss - an unequalled achievement. 1/

The Tripitaka Koreana, stored in Haeinsa, a Buddhist temple in Gayasan National Park, South Korea, is the most comprehensive and oldest version of the Buddhist canon, with no known errors in its 52 330 152 characters which are organized in over 1496 titles and 6568 volumes. 2/
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, thanks for posting that! Reading through it now and it's fascinating.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:26 pm There are only a few comedians I consider must watch:

Louis CK
I'm going to see him in DC next year on his current tour. The show is, of course, sold out, because CK is more popular in the DC area than you might think.
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Grocery shopping today. Thought about some breakfast burritos that I haven't had in almost a year. Over $15 for 6!
Looks like I've eaten my last breakfast burrito.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like breakfast burritos march right up to the line of "things that shouldn't be breakfast foods". But then I realize that anything can really be breakfast foods and I crack open another 7am beer.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:35 am I feel like breakfast burritos march right up to the line of "things that shouldn't be breakfast foods". But then I realize that anything can really be breakfast foods and I crack open another 7am beer.
It's like a western omelette in a wrap instead of with/on toast. That is the burrito, not the beer...

I used to make 20-30 breakfast burritos at a time and freeze them. They cost about $.15 a piece to make myself at the time. I did this right up until they told I was going to have to get a stent put in my heart. Things like bacon and breakfast sausage came off the regular breakfast menu. Over COVID, I started making Chicken Quesadilla and discovered those wrap prices were one of the early things to go through the roof (large ones are up to about $3 per 8ct). Making my own tortillas is not something I'd begin to attempt.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I have made corn tortillas; it wasn't really worth the effort. I have looked into some recipes for no net carb "flour" tortillas but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.

So now I just roll a fried egg in a tortilla with mushrooms, greens (turnip, kale, mustard and so on) anda jalapeno. Even without any breakfast meat it tastes good and is easy to make on autopilot. I'm sure my doctor would prefer it if I scrambled the egg but the easy of doing it all in a well seasoned iron skillet would be hard to give up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Breakfast at madmarcus!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:42 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:26 pm There are only a few comedians I consider must watch:

Louis CK
I'm going to see him in DC next year on his current tour. The show is, of course, sold out, because CK is more popular in the DC area than you might think.
I subscribed to his website where he continually offers content direct to the consumer.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am Breakfast at madmarcus!
Come on down!

Before retiring I wrote down a list of things that I wanted to do with my extra time. One thing I put down was more cooking. I love cooking! But I also listed that it might be a problem if I really started cooking too much more because not everything is as healthy as that breakfast can be.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:16 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:42 am

Louis CK
I subscribed to his website where he continually offers content direct to the consumer.
His email updates are always hilarious.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:49 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am Breakfast at madmarcus!
Come on down!

Before retiring I wrote down a list of things that I wanted to do with my extra time. One thing I put down was more cooking. I love cooking! But I also listed that it might be a problem if I really started cooking too much more because not everything is as healthy as that breakfast can be.
I eat so much more produce since "retiring". One would think I'd lose weight. I even was walking a lot until "we're getting old" caught up with me and started laughing at me. Nope I've put on 15 pounds. Still, I'm taking a healthier approach to everything than I have in 15 years or more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All I used to want was more time to play more pc games. Now I got all the time in the world and I barely game. I have gotten to where I dont want to get out of bed anymore. And when I am up I sit, mope, stare, sit, sit, stand...bout it. No money, no water, no anything but time and more time. And I dont want to do anything most times. I am not going to go anywhere even if I had gas in the car. I dont care to interact with folk in life...even if I miss that. I want to do something but then again I dont want to do anything. Im stuck as I call it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:22 pm All I used to want was more time to play more pc games. Now I got all the time in the world and I barely game. I have gotten to where I dont want to get out of bed anymore. And when I am up I sit, mope, stare, sit, sit, stand...bout it. No money, no water, no anything but time and more time. And I dont want to do anything most times. I am not going to go anywhere even if I had gas in the car. I dont care to interact with folk in life...even if I miss that. I want to do something but then again I dont want to do anything. Im stuck as I call it.
That, my dude, is called depression. And you have it. You have a severe case of it. You probably even know you have it.
If you need advice or encouragement on your healing journey, me and others would be happy to help you via DM's.
But the only person who can start you towards healing is you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe so. I used to dream so much about so much. Now I dont really. I mean I think of my age and look at my game collection. Used to be something I loved doing. But now I dont see the point. Im not gonna be around all that long from here and someone else will either take it all or throw it away as meaningless. I haven't added a game to the boxed collection since like 2014 or 2015.

Might all change when I have some money and some fucking damn house water. If stuff would stop breaking....but its all at a point where its time stuff was breaking unfortunately. I mean I begged , I asked for help, I actually got a ton of help and I paid over $1200 to fix my water...had it a week. Now its some other part of it supposedly...another few hundred to get up and fix it. But its not just the water...its time passed and me.

Now Im worried about my 14 almost 15 year old little dog. he is all I got left and he had some kinda weird episode the other day that started me worrying about losing him ....and that will not be all that long. If me and him are lucky it might be 4 or 5 years....probably more like 2 or 3. And he is all I got left. Then its just me and what I have left...because most likely Ill still be here.

Who knows maybe everything will turn around soon. Right now Im sitting here stinking because its been 4 days and I need a shower but I want to mow tomorrow then go through the shower hassle. It takes 4 min per jug of water to microwave to warm and theres like 6 or 7 jugs per bath. Thats a half hour just to warm water. Then a huge physical hassle to bath then the cleanup...then I have to haul water up out of the well for an hour to refill the jugs for next time. And thats all for 1 damn bath lol.

Least I dont have to use an outhouse or bath in a stream like the old days folks did. Of course that was normal to them. Its like going from normal to losing power in a storm. Its hard to survive a few days without power now for people.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:35 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:22 pm All I used to want was more time to play more pc games. Now I got all the time in the world and I barely game. I have gotten to where I dont want to get out of bed anymore. And when I am up I sit, mope, stare, sit, sit, stand...bout it. No money, no water, no anything but time and more time. And I dont want to do anything most times. I am not going to go anywhere even if I had gas in the car. I dont care to interact with folk in life...even if I miss that. I want to do something but then again I dont want to do anything. Im stuck as I call it.
That, my dude, is called depression. And you have it. You have a severe case of it. You probably even know you have it.
If you need advice or encouragement on your healing journey, me and others would be happy to help you via DM's.
But the only person who can start you towards healing is you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get what I refer to as gaming block or a gaming funk...like a writer gets writers block. I can sit here at the pc wanting to play something and nothing comes to me. I can think of stuff and I just ignore it..if I try something I hate it. But if I go to the kitchen a game will pop into my head and I actually FEEL I want to play it. Or I go outside and fell the cool fall air and think this is gaming weather like the old days...but inside nada..I just cant do it lol. Ive had this off and on over my entire gaming life. Not much when I was first into them and younger..but more lately...think due to normal depression.....they do finally go away. And I do get spurts of gaming in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Think of your situation like this - you're wondering why you're feeling light-headed and cold so you're putting on a blanket and grabbing something to eat. Instead, you're completely ignoring that your arm has been chopped off and your spurting blood out on to the floor.

Until you address the core issue (depression), everything else you're trying to do is ignoring the real problem.

And to be clear no one here can do that for you, as pointed out; they can only get you resources that will ideally get you started. It's painfully obvious to so many people here you're suffering and have been for a long time. And like anyone else that is stuck, it's also painful to watch you spiral deeper and deeper into this. All we can do is encourage you to get help. Until you want it, nothing will change.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:59 pm I get what I refer to as gaming block or a gaming funk...like a writer gets writers block. I can sit here at the pc wanting to play something and nothing comes to me. I can think of stuff and I just ignore it..if I try something I hate it. But if I go to the kitchen a game will pop into my head and I actually FEEL I want to play it. Or I go outside and fell the cool fall air and think this is gaming weather like the old days...but inside nada..I just cant do it lol. Ive had this off and on over my entire gaming life. Not much when I was first into them and younger..but more lately...think due to normal depression.....
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depr ... -signs.htm
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke