Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

I tip the expectation unless the service is fantastic and then my tip reflects real gratuity. Because it is such an expensive part of an already too expensive experience, I just don't eat out unless it's an occasion. I get that I'm on the outside and I have voluntarily ostracized myself.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think next time Im bored and feeling sour Im going to go to the bank and get a bunch of $2 bills then go around to Walmart and Target and such and get in line and pay with them. See how much stupidity ensues.

Maybe film it for YouTube or stream it for Twitch haha.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I go the gold dollar route. And I sure as hell am not interested in recording it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was trying to remember this one music compilation commercial from the 80s that i still can remember the exact sequence of songs played (even over 35 years later) and i found it!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isn't there a gross grossness thread you could have posted that to?

But hey, at least he didn't shoot anyone.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I initially got an image of a manager sucking on his own toes and phoning a room. Ambiguous wording.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Is that one of the Hilton points rewards now?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im getting that random bot check forcing me to click on images when I do almost any search now. Remember I mentioned it before but then it was only a couple times or so. Now its almost every time. The reason it says is bot activity. I dont see any bot activity. All my scanner show nothing.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:20 pm Im getting that random bot check forcing me to click on images when I do almost any search now. Remember I mentioned it before but then it was only a couple times or so. Now its almost every time. The reason it says is bot activity. I dont see any bot activity. All my scanner show nothing.
Didn't you start running a VPN? Most VPNs (especially free ones) trigger the bot check with their IP subnets because, well, lots of bots use them.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:20 pm Im getting that random bot check forcing me to click on images when I do almost any search now. Remember I mentioned it before but then it was only a couple times or so. Now its almost every time. The reason it says is bot activity. I dont see any bot activity. All my scanner show nothing.
As gilraen aptly observed, it's likely because you are using a free VPN:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:15 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:46 am Lately Ive been having trouble where it seems the net thinks I live in Europe. If I look up an actress or actor their height is listed in meters not feet in Google.. Wiki just now results were in some foreign language and I had to click english to revert it. Why does my pc think I am European?
Because you're using a VPN, and VPNs are expressly designed to mask your real location:
Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:55 pm Ok I joined Proton VPN for free.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gilraen wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:23 pm
Didn't you start running a VPN? Most VPNs (especially free ones) trigger the bot check with their IP subnets because, well, lots of bots use them.
Yes but Im not running the VPN...its installed but disabled. Maybe I should just uninstall it as I dont run it much.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:20 pm The reason it says is bot activity. I dont see any bot activity. All my scanner show nothing.
They're not saying you have a bot on your system - they're saying that they think you could be the bot, and they want to check first.

I have that once every day or two, likely tied to some of my security software (Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I do use Adblock. Never did this until recently. They musta changed something they scan for.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've been seated on a jury for the first time. (I've been called in before, but they always settled during jury selection.)

It's a criminal trial that begins tomorrow. Obviously I can't talk about it, but from what we've been told already there will be some very unpleasant details.

(No headlines or famous politicians are involved.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Holman wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:07 pm I've been seated on a jury for the first time. (I've been called in before, but they always settled during jury selection.)

It's a criminal trial that begins tomorrow.
Do they give you any idea how long a trial would last? If they know how many witnesses will be called on each side to give any indication before deliberations? Will you be interested in being a foreman? I’ve never been on a jury, not even close. I don’t even remember the last time I was summoned.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have a shrink on standby. Good luck.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:07 pm I've been seated on a jury for the first time. (I've been called in before, but they always settled during jury selection.)

It's a criminal trial that begins tomorrow. Obviously I can't talk about it, but from what we've been told already there will be some very unpleasant details.

(No headlines or famous politicians are involved.)
I just got my third summons for the year this year. Really not thrilled about going with my bum arm and requirements for PT right now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been called twice and was seated both times. The first trial lasted about a week and taught me how short the workday is for court personnel. The second time, the lawyers met with the judge, got one juror dismissed, and couldn't agree upon a new 12th, so we were all sent home. That was 10+ years ago and I haven't been called since.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Good luck. You’re dealing with people about their very bad days. I’ve been in a jury before, and it’s an interesting experience. Not what you’d ideally expect, but it had its own logic and practicality.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Don't ever put salted peanut shells in your compost because, my friends, those endure forever.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

As do grape stems.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I stopped doing egg shells for the same reason. I know they are supposed to be good, but all they did was break down into tiny pieces. They never actually decomposed.

Occasionally I get tempted to get the bag of peanuts at CostCo. Should I ever, I will hopefully remember this warning. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Eggshells add calcium to the soil as they gradually get pulverized, but you're right; they don't actually decompose.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We always used egg shells.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:50 pm Don't ever put salted peanut shells in your compost because, my friends, those endure forever.
You just need to crush the shells and soak 'em sufficiently in water before adding to your compost, as explained here:

How to Compost Peanut Shells
NationalPeanutBoard.org wrote:With summer in full swing, you might be thinking about showing off your green thumb by starting a garden. One valuable addition to any home garden is compost, which is a mixture of “browns” (branches, twigs, leaves, etc.), “greens” (grass clippings, vegetable and fruit trimmings, etc.), and water. Adding compost to your garden adds moisture to your soil, promotes the growth of helpful bacteria and fungi in your soil, helps fight plant diseases and pests, and promotes overall sustainability. The ever-versatile peanut can be a valuable addition to your compost as a “brown” ingredient. The carbon that peanuts contain acts as a valuable energy source for the microorganisms that help break down your compost. If you’ve ever wondered about how to compost peanut shells, but you’re not sure where to start, you’ve come to the right place.

Overall, composting peanut shells is fairly simple. Your first step is to check your peanuts for signs of infection or lesions. Avoid composting peanuts that appear to be infected, as they may contribute to plant diseases taking root in your garden. However, this is more likely to be an issue if you’re getting your peanuts from a garden. If you’re choosing to compost with leftover peanuts/peanut shells you’ve bought at a store or restaurant, this is unlikely to be a problem.

Your next goal is to crush the peanut shells to speed up the decomposition process. To do this, place the shells on a flat surface and walk on them, or collect them in a large plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.

Once your peanuts are thoroughly crushed, soak them in water for a minimum of 12 hours. If you’re using salted peanuts, change the water at least once during this process to remove excess salt from the peanuts that could harm your compost’s microbes or future garden plants.

Next, add the soaked peanuts to any other “browns” you want to compost, and then cover your “browns” with a layer of “greens.” Finally, top your compost with some garden soil and a gentle watering. Covering and storing your compost in a shady area helps it stay moist as it matures. As your compost heats and decomposes, “turn” the pile by mixing it every week or two to re-distribute oxygen throughout the pile so your growing microbes can breathe. Turning compost helps the decomposition process move along swiftly.

When your compost is dark in color throughout and crumbly in texture, it’s ready to nourish your garden! To learn even more about how to compost peanut shells, check out these guides by Garden Guides and Gardening Know How.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

telcta wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:17 pm

It's a criminal trial that begins tomorrow.
Do they give you any idea how long a trial would last? If they know how many witnesses will be called on each side to give any indication before deliberations? Will you be interested in being a foreman? I’ve never been on a jury, not even close. I don’t even remember the last time I was summoned.
Turns out they settled a plea deal today just before opening the trial itself. We jurors sat around all morning waiting while the lawyers met privately, which is apparently a sign that a deal is in the works.

Now that it's concluded, I can say that the case involved an adult being charged with sexual abuse of a preteen cousin for two years. It's awful regardless, but I'm glad not to have had to confront that evidence.

The witness list was seven or eight people, including family members, a couple of social workers, maybe a teacher or neighbor, and a police officer.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember the time I got charged with a crime. (shooting large dogs that was attacking me on my own property)[coon hunter dogs]. I pled not guilty. I was around last that the judge saw. I found it rather amusing seeing all the people lining up to see the assist DA.
I got an assigned lawyer and in less time than it takes to write this he called the DA and got the charges dropped.
Last edited by dbt1949 on Tue May 09, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

My wife uses egg shells broken up into small pieces and sprinkles them around the veggies in her garden. It keeps the slugs off the plants! They evidently don't like the sharp edges on their skin(?).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Learn the darndest things on the interwebs superhighway.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fardaza wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:00 pm My wife uses egg shells broken up into small pieces and sprinkles them around the veggies in her garden. It keeps the slugs off the plants! They evidently don't like the sharp edges on their skin(?).
Makes sense, since the standard remedy for slugs is diatomaceous earth -- dirt comprised of minuscule sharp fossils.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Once again MS downloads another update and wants me to reset my computer. And they want you to do it with their button or it doesn't count. Regular reset won't do it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:18 pm
Fardaza wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:00 pm My wife uses egg shells broken up into small pieces and sprinkles them around the veggies in her garden. It keeps the slugs off the plants! They evidently don't like the sharp edges on their skin(?).
Makes sense, since the standard remedy for slugs is diatomaceous earth -- dirt comprised of minuscule sharp fossils.
Funny story about that. A friend of mine once worked in the kitchen at a farmer's market. He got the flour and the diatomaceous earth mixed up and made biscuits using the D. E. Nobody noticed the difference. They were literally eating dirt.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:54 pm
Funny story about that. A friend of mine once worked in the kitchen at a farmer's market. He got the flour and the diatomaceous earth mixed up and made biscuits using the D. E. Nobody noticed the difference. They were literally eating dirt.
I can't imagine that was good for their intestinal lining.

Also, why would a kitchen have diatomaceous earth on the shelf?
Anonymous Bosch

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm Once again MS downloads another update and wants me to reset my computer. And they want you to do it with their button or it doesn't count. Regular reset won't do it.
FWIW, if you'd prefer to avoid having Microsoft changing your system with all of its feature update cruft, I highly recommend using the free, open source Windows Utility Tool available from ChrisTitus.com to easily configure your Windows Update service to download security updates-only:

Doing this will prevent such aggravation from recurring the next time Microsoft decides to 'improve' the features of your OS without your permission, while keeping your system fully updated with vital security updates.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:47 pm

They needed it to stabilize their dynamite.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:47 pm

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered the western part of the US and other parts of the world. These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms thousands of years old. This means, diatomaceous earth has an unlimited shelf life provided you keep it dry.

Diatomaceous earth is mined, milled, and processed into a myriad of types for a large variety of uses. Filtering and filler are two main uses but diatomaceous earth also ends up in paints, cosmetics, drugs, etc. Because the milling produces different sized and shaped particles, it is important not to use the filtering type for agricultural purposes.

Pool filter grade diatomaceous earth has been heat and chemically treated and will poison an animal or human who ingests it, so it is always of utmost importance to only obtain food grade diatomaceous earth to use in and around your household.

Diatoms (DE) are the grass of the oceans and lakes. Just as grass is the staple food of earth animals. Diatoms (algae) are the food of the ocean or fresh water grazers. Magnified 7000x, diatomaceous earth looks like spiney honeycombs.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth if mined from the purest of deposits. Out of 600 deposits in the U.S., only 4 of these deposits rate in purity by FDA standards to be labeled as “Food Grade” One of the most exciting trends we have seen is the increasing use of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for human and pet health benefits.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 pm The first trial lasted about a week and taught me how short the workday is for court personnel.
I would assume that court time is a very small percentage of their week. I feel like this is saying that football players only work a total of # of games x 3 hours a season.
Holman

Post by Holman »

One last court note:

It turns out that if you take twelve complete strangers and store their phones in another room, they will actually start talking to each other and form a small community. It was really striking how different it felt to actually talk to strangers.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 am One last court note:

It turns out that if you take twelve complete strangers and store their phones in another room, they will actually start talking to each other and form a small community. It was really striking how different it felt to actually talk to strangers.
What do the phones say to each other?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter