Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

We apparently have a new industrial soap.

It's called "Beaver Nut Scrub"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm Its full so Im standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the cashier lady watching the area. She has a full register and can check people out. Does she? No she stands there looking everywhere but at me right in front of her.
Her job is to watch the self-checkout area, not to ring up customers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:49 pm We apparently have a new industrial soap.

It's called "Beaver Nut Scrub"
Is this only for brown beavers named Wynona?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow I got a phone call. Thats the first time the phone has rang in maybe 6 months? Solicitor. Weeee.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I want me some pinwheels cookies

mmm tasty

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:03 pm Because, believe it or not, "plain" means "with cheese" just about everywhere.
As I began drinking coffee, I was confused to learn "regular" means "1 cream, 1 sugar" and not black. I guess regular means "how most people order it". But to me, it should mean "plain".

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:00 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:03 pm Because, believe it or not, "plain" means "with cheese" just about everywhere.
As I began drinking coffee, I was confused to learn "regular" means "1 cream, 1 sugar" and not black. I guess regular means "how most people order it". But to me, it should mean "plain".
I believe 'regular' varies by region. I've heard a 'regular' at a New York Dunkin' Donuts is not the same as one in Boston.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I too would have assumed regular coffee was just plain black.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

To me "regular" coffee means those bullshit mass produced beans most people settle for and not the delicious micro-lot single-origin nectar I drink. And if you come to my house for a cup you must at least try it black before deciding you need cream and sugar. Because my coffee doesn't need cream and sugar. And if you put cream and sugar in it I will throw you out of my house. Please go stand by the mailbox and wait for your mom to pick you up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:00 pm
I guess I am surprised to learn that now after 35 years of coffee drinking. It does not jive with my experience. Regular has always meant "coffee that is not decaffeinated" and I had assumed it was a play on referring to decaffeinated coffee as "unleaded" (or vice versa, decaffeinated was called unleaded because regular coffee = regular leaded gas) Not once until today; as a server, a clerk, or consumer have I ever heard of regular coffee to mean "one cream, one sugar". It's only ever meant black coffee or the default size (six or eight oz cup or mug) of black coffee. Heck you, you might order a regular coffee with one cream and one sugar.
Because, believe it or not, "plain" means "with cheese" just about everywhere.
This I don't get at all, unless you order a plain cheeseburger, then it will still be a cheese burger. If you order a plain bacon cheese burger it would still have bacon and cheese. A plain insert fancy name here burger that defaults "with cheese" would still be a cheeseburger, as would bacon, or whatever else said burger is known for. I would think most places have a burger that where cheese is not implied. But I dunno, cause I get the cheese burger.
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am To me "regular" coffee means those bullshit mass produced beans
mmmm... bullshit mass produced beans....
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't trust coffee. Every morning on my drive to work I pass several Starbucks. The number of zombies double parking and darting into traffic to get their morning cup is unbelievable. And going to morning meetings and people are like, "Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet" to excuse all manner of mistakes/unpreparedness. And it's accepted. Same at afternoon meetings except it's, "I need a coffee" met with a round of agreeing sighs and nods.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

In all my born days, "regular" coffee has just meant caffeinated otherwise you'd say "decaf" or as noted above "unleaded", provenance of the beans notwithstanding. :wink: Cream and sugar were something you handled on your own.
-mf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:27 am I don't trust coffee.
I don't trust coffee either. It is rarely out of my site in the AM and I try to stay way from it in the PM.

It used to have no affect on me beyond stimulating my breathing and being something to relax in conversation. Now it does help start the day and while it doesn't keep me awake at night, it does make me a lighter sleeper, which is not so good as a 1:2 punch for my sleep apnea. It (combined with many many glasses of water) also takes the place of the 2 to 3 Cokes I had been drinking every day for years. I actively try to avoid caffeine after 15:00. If ever retire, I will likely enjoy evening coffee again as something I've earned. We'll see. Today, drinking coffee at night feels like I'm living life on the edge, with no fear of what tomorrow may bring.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I moved to Boston, resident friends warned me that "regular coffee" means "with cream and sugar." As I very rarely buy takeout coffee, and have always ordered "coffee, black" anyway, it didn't degrade my well-being in a meaningful way.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 amI actively try to avoid caffeine after 15:00. If ever retire, I will likely enjoy evening coffee again as something I've earned. We'll see. Today, drinking coffee at night feels like I'm living life on the edge, with no fear of what tomorrow may bring.
Someday I'll have a disappearing hairline
Someday I'll wear pajamas in the daytime
Afternoons will be measured out
Measured out, measured with
Coffee spoons
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am To me "regular" coffee means those bullshit mass produced beans most people settle for and not the delicious micro-lot single-origin nectar I drink. And if you come to my house for a cup you must at least try it black before deciding you need cream and sugar. Because my coffee doesn't need cream and sugar. And if you put cream and sugar in it I will throw you out of my house. Please go stand by the mailbox and wait for your mom to pick you up.

:mrgreen:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

'Regular' to me was always the counter to decaf.

"Whad'll ya have?"
"Coffee."
"Regular or decaf?"
"Regular."
"Need me to bring you some cream?"
"Just black, thanks."

These days I'll have a coffee every now and then. Less than once a month. My caffeine is tea now. I'll sometimes have one cup of black tea during the afternoon, but most of the time I just drink green tea. It's got about a quarter of the caffeine of coffee, so I usually make my last cup at 8PM with the intention of being asleep by 1 or 1:30.

The thing about green tea is that its caffeine works a little differently on people. The caffeine itself is, chemically, identical. Something else in the tea, though, tweaks the effect. Where coffee gives you a hard, fast burst of energy, but then a hard crash a little while later, green tea is a slow burn. It builds you up slowly and smoothly, then lets you down gently without a caffeine crash.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:20 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 amI actively try to avoid caffeine after 15:00. If ever retire, I will likely enjoy evening coffee again as something I've earned. We'll see. Today, drinking coffee at night feels like I'm living life on the edge, with no fear of what tomorrow may bring.
Someday I'll have a disappearing hairline
Someday I'll wear pajamas in the daytime
Afternoons will be measured out
Measured out, measured with
Coffee spoons
:wub:

Wait. Disappearing hairline? Are you telling me it's a fantasy? :cry:

I've always had a five head, so I've never cared about my hairline.

(I'm beginning to think this needs moving from the Random thread to silly pics thread)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am

The thing about green tea is that its caffeine works a little differently on people. The caffeine itself is, chemically, identical. Something else in the tea, though, tweaks the effect. Where coffee gives you a hard, fast burst of energy, but then a hard crash a little while later, green tea is a slow burn. It builds you up slowly and smoothly, then lets you down gently without a caffeine crash.
Green tea gives me migraines. even smelling it can give me a headache.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am green tea is a slow burn. It builds up slowly in your skull until you feel like it'll crack like an egg, then leaves you wishing you had never done that for a few days after.
Green tea gives me migraines. even smelling it can give me a headache.
I'm in the same boat, I think. Maybe not migraines, but intense headaches. I prefer something like a chai tea.

I've never in my life had a coffee I could stomach. Absolutely love the smell, but I think it tastes like drinking roasted cat shit. Granted, I haven't tried all coffees, in all ways, but my few experiences put me off wanting to. I'd be curious what Z-Corn drinks. I always figured that if I got into coffee, I'd want to get into the "black" club.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Coffee is one of those things that tastes nothing like it smells.

many people dislike the taste of coffee, its bitter and acidic. even coffee drinkers cover the flavor with sugar and cream.

but the smell, oh goodness, coffee smells amazing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:59 pm Coffee is one of those things that tastes nothing like it smells.

many people dislike the taste of coffee, its bitter and acidic. even coffee drinkers cover the flavor with sugar and cream.

but the smell, oh goodness, coffee smells amazing.
I can always bust the wife and daughter when they stop at the coffee shop (for pastries) on the way home. They reek of roast coffee. Which is to say they smell like burnt chocolate and cat urine.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And FWIW, when I do drink coffee, I get it dark, strong, and black. Americano, when available.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:27 am I don't trust coffee. Every morning on my drive to work I pass several Starbucks. The number of zombies double parking and darting into traffic to get their morning cup is unbelievable. And going to morning meetings and people are like, "Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet" to excuse all manner of mistakes/unpreparedness. And it's accepted. Same at afternoon meetings except it's, "I need a coffee" met with a round of agreeing sighs and nods.
it's one of our great 'culturally acceptable failings'
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm I'd be curious what Z-Corn drinks.
I'm so glad you asked!

Right now I have on hand two Guatemalans, which is rare. I usually like to keep roasted two varieties that are much less alike. Some of the best cups come from a blend of different origins. I happen to be low on green beans so I'm using up what I have before I order more.

I have a Guatemalan Xinabajul La Libertad Lot #1 that I roasted to a City+ roast. Good caramel with some molasses sweetness. I taste green apple and cocoa.
Second coffee is a Guatemala Huehuetenango Aguacatones Honey roasted to Full City. Dark chocolate...roast peanuts. Thick body and very light acidity, especially the longer it rests after roasting.

I go through a lot to drink the best coffee I can. I have been sticking to pour over cups lately but when I have time I will dig out the vintage vacuum pot. I drink at most three cups a week. Never more than one cup a day and never more than 12 ounces in a cup.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Our office provider brings in "Colombian" and "Kona Koa". Having tried both straight, I prefer the Colombian. And I have no issues stopping at Starbucks on rare occasions for a latte.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:24 pm And I have no issues stopping at Starbucks on rare occasions for a coffee-flavoured milkshake.
FTFY.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Two facts:

(1) There is no coffee greater than that which is served by a NJ diner
(2) I have never had a coffee (of any variety) from Starbucks

1 and 2 are possibly related.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:45 pm (1) There is no coffee greater than that which is served by a NJ diner
Daly's. They probably had something like Maxwell House. But that was the coffee for me when I was growing up. My Daly's is now a Rite-Aid but the company still exist. One day I need to go and see if the last Daly's (one my dad used to cruz as a teen) can live up to my 30+ year old memories.

In true Michigan fashion, I truly remember the restaurant being called Daly's, when it is actually Daly.

http://dalyrestaurants.com/

By the way, this was my ever coney. I didn't have to order it without vinegar. I have no knowledge if it was simmered, boiled, or just sat in a vat of warm water. But it was the day I became hot dog snob. (Also, as a young child, we might have eaten at a restaurant once a month or less, maybe much less, and that restaurant was usually Daly's)

Enlarge Image
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

lol

I find it very amusing that you noted that you used the incorrect name, but then proceeded to do it again. :mrgreen:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Mandela Effect!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kansas City is making a strong push today for inclusion in “Skinypupy’s least favorite airports in the country” list, alongside such established contenders as Atlanta and Dulles.

There is only one restroom in this section of the terminal, and it’s closed for repairs. So if I need to pee anytime in the next 2 hours before my flight, I have to go out to the main terminal, then back through the security checkpoint again. Which means that I would have to throw away my water bottle...which I just paid $7 for at the one kiosk available in here.

Strong work, KC.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:17 pm lol

I find it very amusing that you noted that you used the incorrect name, but then proceeded to do it again. :mrgreen:
It's a Michigan thing.

Meijer is Meijer's
Ford is Ford's
Kroger is Kroger's

Have I mentioned in the past 20 days we have had only 4 with measurable sunlight? And weed is legal here now. So...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's an 'everywhere I've ever lived' thing. If it sounds at all like a name, it's made possessive when referring to it. Except for Ford's. That's just weird.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My new glasses are here, this time, verified by an optometrist. It reads computer monitors great, and because it's multi-focal (progressive), I can read books AND get distance vision. Yeah.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always said Krogers and also Krystals even though they are singular in name. Not sure on the possessive S
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 pm My new glasses are here, this time, verified by an optometrist. It reads computer monitors great, and because it's multi-focal (progressive), I can read books AND get distance vision. Yeah.
I can't read with my progressives when I'm working. I take them off and squint a few inches from the screen, which does a number on my back and neck after a couple of hours. They're OK for reading when I'm leaning back with my feet up and the screen's a few feet away, but that's not how I work.

Optometrist has sent a couple of post cards imploring me to make an appointment, because insurance. I wasn't going to do that since I'm satisfied with my regular glasses and sunglasses. I don't need a new Rx. But now I'm starting to think about getting some reading glasses specifically for working on my laptop. Because insurance.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When people in movies swear a blood oath, as one does, why do they always draw a blade across the palm of their hand? Isn't that one of the last places you'd want to have a cut?