Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Random randomness

Post by hepcat »

I believe he actually did because I just used a calculator to figure out 2 + 2 and it came out to 6. :shock:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive condensed my 'Get away from it all' dream down to a beach, amazing PC with internet, sexy girls( likely not mine even, just eye candy) and an air conditioner.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
Michigan drivers now have the option of adorning their cars with digital license plates, which can locate lost vehicles and receive public safety alerts — for a fee. Reviver, the maker of the connected plates, announced that Michigan residents and businesses can now purchase the device (known as the RPlate) online. Consumers can choose between two models: a battery-powered plate and a hard-wired plate that includes GPS. The plates have been available for sale in California and Arizona, and the company is aiming to make them available nationwide.

But what exactly is a digital license plate? The RPlate is essentially a license plate with an HD display and LTE connectivity (as well as GPS for the hard-wired model) that includes a number of security and personalization features. Drivers can switch between dark and light modes and select personalized messages to appear at the bottom. The GPS-enabled plate also includes telematic transponders, so it can locate a lost or stolen vehicle and send alerts to your smartphone if it detects suspicious movement. There’s a companion mobile app that allows drivers to track mileage and renew their vehicle registration online.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 pm Yahoo
Michigan drivers now have the option of adorning their cars with digital license plates, which can locate lost vehicles and receive public safety alerts — for a fee. Reviver, the maker of the connected plates, announced that Michigan residents and businesses can now purchase the device (known as the RPlate) online. Consumers can choose between two models: a battery-powered plate and a hard-wired plate that includes GPS. The plates have been available for sale in California and Arizona, and the company is aiming to make them available nationwide.

But what exactly is a digital license plate? The RPlate is essentially a license plate with an HD display and LTE connectivity (as well as GPS for the hard-wired model) that includes a number of security and personalization features. Drivers can switch between dark and light modes and select personalized messages to appear at the bottom. The GPS-enabled plate also includes telematic transponders, so it can locate a lost or stolen vehicle and send alerts to your smartphone if it detects suspicious movement. There’s a companion mobile app that allows drivers to track mileage and renew their vehicle registration online.
Both models require a subscription ($19.95 per month for battery-powered and $24.95 per month for hard-wired) and cost an additional $150 if you elect to have a professional install the plate.
Lol. Next thing I'll need a subscription to flush the toilet.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honestly, WTF with those subscription fees.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can you even begin to imagine how many eggplant emojis you'll be seeing on plates in Michigan while driving through?
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Someone is going to have a lot of fun once they figure out how to remotely hack those license plates.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently it's discriminatory to label ground beef as being high in saturated fat because <checks notes> it's naturally high in saturated fat, and natural is good.

Ranchers' group opposes Health Canada's 'vilification' of ground beef
A group representing Canadian ranchers says their industry has been unfairly singled out by proposed new regulations that would require packaged ground beef to be sold with a health warning label.

Health Canada is proposing to introduce mandatory front-of-package nutrition labelling for foods high in sodium, sugar and saturated fat.

The goal is to provide consumers with quick and easy nutrition information and encourage them to make healthier choices.

But the Canadian Cattlemen's Association says the proposed regulations lump plain ground beef and ground pork together with highly processed junk foods.

It says while ground beef does contain saturated fat, it is a highly nutritious source of protein and nutrients. The association says beef is a whole food that should be exempt from the regulations like other meats, milk, eggs, vegetables and fruit.

The association says ground beef is one of the most affordable sources of protein and should not be vilified during a time when food prices are at an all-time high.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

On our vacation last week, we rented a beautiful Air B&B in Gatlinburg, TN. It was tucked back in the woods above the town, and was a fantastic place to hang out with the kids for a couple days while we hit Dollywood, the Ripley's Aquarium, and a water park. This was the view from the 2-story back deck that overlooked the forest.

The last night we were there, I was awoken at 4:50am by someone screaming at the top of their lungs outside, down by the other cabin you can see in that picture. He were screaming about how “Those motherfuckers aren’t going to catch me!” and “I’m going to kill every last one of those assholes!” and “All those motherfuckers are going to pay.” and “I'll make every one of them sorry for this!”. Every other frenzied rant was punctuated by a loud Rick Flair-ish “WOOOOOOOO!!!” screamed out into the trees.

This went on for about 15 minutes, and was (obviously) starting to make me really damn nervous that some nut job was about to go on a murder spree 100 yards away from us. So I was on the phone with 911 just after 5:00am while everyone else in our cabin was dead asleep. Cops showed up and when I told them what was going on, it sounded like this wasn’t the first time they’ve been called out there. They had a pretty tense discussion with the dude (looked like they came to his door with their guns drawn), but finally got him calmed down. I can only assume there were very significant drugs and/or alcohol involved to be screaming paranoid rantings at the trees at 5:00 on a random Thursday morning.

We were due to check out that morning anyway, so we sped up that process once everyone woke up and booked it out of there very quickly. There were a couple dudes that strolled by on morning walks, and I’ll admit it made me a little nervous. Was a bit afraid the tweaker dude might have come to “finish his job”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes but was there a ski lift going up the mountain?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He was probably just playing Call of Duty.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:23 am The last night we were there, I was awoken at 4:50am by someone screaming at the top of their lungs outside, down by the other cabin you can see in that picture. He were screaming about how “Those motherfuckers aren’t going to catch me!” and “I’m going to kill every last one of those assholes!” and “All those motherfuckers are going to pay.” and “I'll make every one of them sorry for this!”. Every other frenzied rant was punctuated by a loud Rick Flair-ish “WOOOOOOOO!!!” screamed out into the trees.
Not to worry, it was likely just Daehawk performing his typical medicinal morning devotions:
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:18 pm What in theeeee F. My medicine has me dancing funky like to Brick House by The Commodores.

EDIT: Uh oh here comes ELO
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

But the view is nice!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My mountain looks similar but we don't have all the vines. And we cleared out the forest right around the house.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

So as some of you know, I work from home. I got back to my desk after a quick porcelain break, and discovered that my coffee cup was empty. I turned to the nearest cat and asked, "Who drank my coffee?"

That cat looked me straight in the eye and said "Twas Nicolas Cage that drank your black brew"

Man, I am starting to regret giving that guy my spare house key. At first I thought it would be cool ya know, having a celebrity come over and feed the cats while I am on vacation or whatever. ' Oh your cats are free roaming? Well mine are CAGE fed" But then its like; hear a noise at 3 in the morning, and its Nicolas freaking Cage, in my kitchen, filming Breakfast Club 2: Burrito Sunrise.

AArgh!

Go on, shoo, get out of here, go film nostalgic cash grabs in your own kitchen.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I bet the nearest cat was just covering for the 2nd nearest cat.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rutabaga
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dropped off my eldest kid at his long-time summer camp (where this year he's working as a counselor) way up in the New York Adirondacks, basically across Lake Champlain from Burlington, VT.

That really is beautiful country. We've been taking the kids to camp up there for seven years, and each time we get closer to serious about planning to retire on Champlain.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If only this development could have come even one year sooner, the twitterverse might have been spared so much suffering. :coffee:

Eli Lilly wins FDA approval for first-ever treatment for hair loss caused by autoimmunity
The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved an Eli Lilly drug that is the first-ever treatment for alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder that triggers sudden hair loss.

The once-daily pill, known as Olumiant, was approved after clinical trials showed that treated patients regrew much of their lost hair. Patrik Jonsson, Lilly’s president of immunology, called the approval a historic moment for patients who until now have had to rely on cosmetic solutions, unapproved creams, and injections to manage the disease.

“When we meet with clinicians and thought leaders from across the U.S. and outside the U.S., we know that the need is huge,” Jonsson said. “We know that there are patients in line for treatments like Olumiant.”

People with alopecia areata have an autoimmune response that attacks their own hair follicles, resulting in patchy hair loss across the scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes. In some cases, the disease can progress to total hair loss across a person’s body.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:10 pm Dropped off my eldest kid at his long-time summer camp (where this year he's working as a counselor) way up in the New York Adirondacks, basically across Lake Champlain from Burlington, VT.

That really is beautiful country. We've been taking the kids to camp up there for seven years, and each time we get closer to serious about planning to retire on Champlain.
Indeed. It's a smidge too cold and remote for me, but I would certainly love to have one of my summer homes there. :wink:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:41 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:10 pm Dropped off my eldest kid at his long-time summer camp (where this year he's working as a counselor) way up in the New York Adirondacks, basically across Lake Champlain from Burlington, VT.

Indeed. It's a smidge too cold and remote for me, but I would certainly love to have one of my summer homes there. :wink:
My wife wants to live in a small town on the lake (e.g. Westport NY), while I'd prefer Burlington VT (which I've always heard described as "Ann Arbor but beautiful").
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Major water cutbacks loom as shrinking Colorado River nears ‘moment of reckoning'
As the West endures another year of unrelenting drought worsened by climate change, the Colorado River’s reservoirs have declined so low that major water cuts will be necessary next year to reduce risks of supplies reaching perilously low levels, a top federal water official said Tuesday.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:52 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:41 pm

My wife wants to live in a small town on the lake (e.g. Westport NY), while I'd prefer Burlington VT (which I've always heard described as "Ann Arbor but beautiful").
I've been to Burlington a couple of times and that's a fair characterization if you add "and hilly." Plus, the world's best cuisine.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:06 pm I've been to Burlington a couple of times and that's a fair characterization if you add "and hilly." Plus, the world's best cuisine.
Been there. I didn't realize that it was so revered. I also, sadly, don't even recall the fries.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Dear Clickbait Headline Writer,

Promising to list the 53 best programs to stream on Disney+ only serves to make me believe that nobody has actually curated this list in order to winnow it down something resembling the best content on the platform.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
A guy who didn't click on your link.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant believe this happened...
You'll never guess what......
The Gov is giving this way for free....

ya Im not clicking on any of that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:56 pm Dear Clickbait Headline Writer,

Promising to list the 53 best programs to stream on Disney+ only serves to make me believe that nobody has actually curated this list in order to winnow it down something resembling the best content on the platform.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So theres this little bird I never heard of before called Nightjars. They build their nests on the ground and look like little dragons. They have unique sounds one of which sounds like a dragons roar if they feel threatened...but only if the dragon was the size of the Nightjar.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I lived in California when had this big drainage canal that ran next to the road. There must have been a jillion of these tiny owls that burrowed in the slopes of the canal.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:34 am So theres this little bird I never heard of before called Nightjars. They build their nests on the ground and look like little dragons. They have unique sounds one of which sounds like a dragons roar if they feel threatened...but only if the dragon was the size of the Nightjar.

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:34 am So theres this little bird I never heard of before called Nightjars. They build their nests on the ground and look like little dragons. They have unique sounds one of which sounds like a dragons roar if they feel threatened...but only if the dragon was the size of the Nightjar.

Enlarge Image
Evolutionary speaking, nesting on the ground like that - it appears to have struck upon the defense of hiding as a balled up pit-viper ready to strike.

Also, it's that missing 'beak'.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:33 am
Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:56 pm Dear Clickbait Headline Writer,

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Enlarge Image
Oh, dammit. I had my evening planned around watching the 54th best!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:33 am Enlarge Image
Yeah, I saw it because Google pushed one of those at me on my phone. An article about a list of the <n> best <whatever> is annoying enough, but 53 is just redonkulous. At that point, it's just saying "Here's a buttload of stuff, make of it what you will."

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only bird Ive ever seen in real life that built nests on the open ground was the Killdeer. We pronounce them Kill-dee here in the south. Had one build its nest right at the side of my cousins gravel driveway. Didn't seem smart to me but to each their own.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Once the list has more than 10, I am pretty sure its an AI generated article.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:11 pm Once the list has more than 10, I am pretty sure its an AI generated article.
And if it equal to or less than 10, it was just copied from 'sort by ratings.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Random Awesomeness!
A nonspeaking valedictorian with autism shares her voice in (College) commencement address
When she earned HS Valedictorian, her principal said that there was no way the retard was going to be class valedictorian... Now she is also a College Valedictorian. Kudos.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Today is the sort of day where I have to hit up Google to figure out why people are talking about flying in to, out of or through a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. :coffee:

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's because of the Albatross.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949