Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: Random randomness

Post by Zarathud »

We don’t want to admit people have problems that can’t be fixed with a work ethic and willpower. And lots of places become traps, with insufficient benefits surrounded by resentful people with little better prospects.

But the dismantled welfare system isn’t going to be a good place to exist. The only way to keep afloat is to figure out a side hustle. There are ways to make money without a 9-5 job.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:58 pm Everything past one is just gravy, man.
No Three Penis Wine for you, then?
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never turn down free Three Penis wine!
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:17 pm But the dismantled welfare system isn’t going to be a good place to exist.
No, it is not. Especially when you lack a social network/family. It's one of the reasons that I'm scrambling to get out of debt now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:18 pm May be time to break out of your shell and do a little job hunting.
It ISn't a shell. I wish people would stop telling me that. You dont tell a paralyzed person to get up and walk or a mute to talk. Just because you dont see an issue doesn't make it unreal.

Yep, know what you mean Dae. Experienced all that and then some. Years ago, I was diagnosed with a learning disability which qualified me with disability income. And just by looking at me, you wouldn't realize I do have something. But it's been an uphill battle. People do look at you differently.

As for job hunting, far easier said than done. For me personally, it's not for lack of trying on my part. I've had the help from a vocational service and they'd tried finding me something, where they'd send me on 1-week trial at different places, but you could tell that they were going down a list and getting desperate to end the search, when they eventually ended up sending me to a bridal boutique as a last resort. Imagine my disappointment and frustration. I'd felt rather insulted.

I've thought myself html back in the early 90's, and I've come to realize I have an eye for detail. These days, I still do a lot of visual creative work, such as maintaining websites, putting together our local astronomy club's newsletter. I've become very good at it and found my niche. When it came time to use the vocational services, I put down what I was good at, and when I arrived at the boutique, they'd originally described it as website work, yet what they really meant was database backend to set up an online database which is a whole other ballgame. The client, aka the boutique owner in the end didn't know what they wanted in the first place. I was way out of my league and didn't feel comfortable in that place anyway.

But yeah, my experience is that once they know you're on disability, it's like employers either don't know how or don't want to deal with you even though it's technically illegal to discriminate, although I think the workforce has gotten better with that in the last decade or two. So, no, I don't technically have a job, but I do a lot of volunteer work, such as what I've mentioned above. The trick is finding your niche, finding something you're good at and sticking with it and hopefully make a difference that way. It's a good way to keep your mind busy and to keep from getting stir-crazy.

I've transitioned to doing a bit of graphic design on top of my website work. I belong to an organization that will be celebrating its 100 years next year, and they'll be celebrating big time next year, and as part of those celebrations I'm putting together posters of all the founding members of the organization. It's been a very rewarding project, as I've been learning about each member in the process. It's rewarding enough to know people will get to know those founders.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im close. Just mortgage left.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Books and movies in sci-fi have always seemed to portray humans as weaker than anyone they encounter and aliens as all powerful either through tech or physiology.

Has there been much where humans are portrayed as the stronger vs aliens and how that plays out? Id like to see and maybe even read something where humans have an alien encounter where the yare the stronger and its not a war based thing. Like how could humans help this other civilization if they were the God like ones.

Id rather it be played as humans being helpful and normal but knowing writers they would prefer the humans be the evil God like ones.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Some of David Brin's Uplift novels? Initially they start with dolphins, monkeys/aps, etc. But I think there may be some of the later books where they are actually helping life they find on alien planets.

In those the humans aren't the dicks. It's the rest of the universe that is mad at the humans for uplifting species "without an uplift license". :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Pakleds lol.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's also not a typical sci-fi story. Maybe it's why I think it's the best one I've ever read. :)

Way Station by Clifford Simak.

I never see anyone talking about it, but it is something that left a distinct impression on me. Don't read too much about it or watch a Youtube video detailing the point - it'll spoil the fun. :wink:
Enoch Wallace is not like other humans. Living a secluded life in the backwoods of Wisconsin, he carries a nineteenth-century rifle and never seems to age—a fact that has recently caught the attention of prying government eyes. The truth is, Enoch is the last surviving veteran of the American Civil War and, for close to a century, he has operated a secret way station for aliens passing through on journeys to other stars. But the gifts of knowledge and immortality that his intergalactic guests have bestowed upon him are proving to be a nightmarish burden, for they have opened Enoch’s eyes to humanity’s impending destruction. Still, one final hope remains for the human race . . . though the cure could ultimately prove more terrible than the disease.

Winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novel, Way Station is a magnificent example of the fine art of science fiction as practiced by a revered Grand Master. A cautionary tale that is at once ingenious, evocative, and compassionately human, it brilliantly supports the contention of the late, great Robert A. Heinlein that “to read science-fiction is to read Simak.”
Admitted I'm not well-read in sci-fi and perhaps there is something more like what you're looking for, but my initial feel is that it goes against what I think of as core elements of sci-fi. I think I've read stories that include some of what you're looking for, but never as the entire focus. Hopefully someone else has better info.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:26 pm Has there been much where humans are portrayed as the stronger vs aliens and how that plays out? Id like to see and maybe even read something where humans have an alien encounter where the yare the stronger and its not a war based thing. Like how could humans help this other civilization if they were the God like ones.
There have been lots of 'first contact' with primitives novels. Outside of novels, there isn't a lot, and it rarely ends up being complimentary to humanity. We're prone to evil empires, after all.

/edit - actually, Avatar. I barely remember the film, so I may be mistaken, but it was only when humans changed sides that we were forced to stop exploiting them for profit. Starship Troopers (the film - I block the book from my memory.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Keep getting those letters or postcards in the mail saying "I will buy your house! No fee no closing cost. CASH!" woooo Ya I bet you would. No top dollar there to be seen i bet. Plus Im like where the hell would I live if i sold you my house lol.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I keep getting the home reversal mortgage. Except they may not take mobile homes. But if you want such a thing you'll get about half its value in cash and your heirs will have to pay it back.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:52 pm Keep getting those letters or postcards in the mail saying "I will buy your house! No fee no closing cost. CASH!" woooo Ya I bet you would. No top dollar there to be seen i bet. Plus Im like where the hell would I live if i sold you my house lol.
This will be on the table when we get ready to sell. Realtor will take $20k and closing costs will add another $5k, so if the flipper is within $25k of the market price the absence of hassle will be worth it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:30 am I keep getting the home reversal mortgage. Except they may not take mobile homes. But if you want such a thing you'll get about half its value in cash and your heirs will have to pay it back.
I gave that a little thought. My wife thought about it but there was me to consider if I was left...which happened. But Im alone, got no one I want to leave the home to or anything. I hear those are scams though Im not sure how. But to be paid every month would be nice instead of me paying.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You can arrange it that way.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:30 am I keep getting the home reversal mortgage. Except they may not take mobile homes. But if you want such a thing you'll get about half its value in cash and your heirs will have to pay it back.
I don't think that is how it works. They give you money and they get the title to the house.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yes, that's exactly how it works. I'm sorry if I left the wrong impression.
I thought all mortgages worked that way.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Mortgage: I want to slowly buy this house, and I’m willing to take a big hit.

Reverse Mortgage: I want to slowly sell this house, and I’m willing to take a big hit.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Reverse mortgage-you don't have to pay it back in your lifetime unless you wish to. Otherwise your heir makes arrangements for paying it back upon your death or incapacitation. No heirs...I have no idea except i guess the bank gets it.

I checked into the reverse mortgage but decided it wasn't for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:26 pm Books and movies in sci-fi have always seemed to portray humans as weaker than anyone they encounter and aliens as all powerful either through tech or physiology.

Has there been much where humans are portrayed as the stronger vs aliens and how that plays out? Id like to see and maybe even read something where humans have an alien encounter where the yare the stronger and its not a war based thing. Like how could humans help this other civilization if they were the God like ones.

Id rather it be played as humans being helpful and normal but knowing writers they would prefer the humans be the evil God like ones.
We might ask the other animals of our home planet how human superiority has worked out for them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I watch Barney Miller back in the 70s Wojo was my favorite character. Now I find him the most obnoxious person on the earth. I want to punch him thru my screen.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:06 pm We might ask the other animals of our home planet how human superiority has worked out for them.
The lizards out on my pool deck seem happy...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

mmmmm I think these are now my 2nd favorite Lays chips behind sour cream and onion and just ahead of salt and vinegar.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Paying for all these insurances feels like Im just giving away money. Money I could use.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:25 pm Paying for all these insurances feels like Im just giving away money. Money I could use.
Until something goes wrong, at which point you will be glad that you gave it away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Spanish?
Isgrimnur

Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Un poquito, aber meistens Deutsch.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

You jerk! ;) I got in the top 4% and was feeling all proud of myself and here you come along!

I am up to a 1,280 day streak, though!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got a email from Spectrum saying I had copied/posted/ or downloaded copyright material.....have no idea what they're babbling about. Dont care. Had no idea an ISP gave a rats ass anyways. Its it the copyright holders job to complain?....wish they'd at least have told me what it was. Far as I know I have not nor do I plan to.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The first step is a warning. If you do it again, the next step might be a throttled account (lowered data) or they might just cut you off. Find out what they think you did and don't do it again. It really is that easy. Or act like you don't care and get ready to complain when your account is throttled or cut off.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 am You jerk! ;) I got in the top 4% and was feeling all proud of myself and here you come along!

I am up to a 1,280 day streak, though!
:dance:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My power was out about 30 min. There was a BUUUuuuuzzzzzzPOP sound down the road a few times then it was off. I was surprised to watch all the trucks just show up quickly and start to work. Like an ant colony or platelets in the human body...they sense the problem and rush to respond.

Very interesting to watch from the outside.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:08 am Got a email from Spectrum saying I had copied/posted/ or downloaded copyright material.....have no idea what they're babbling about. Dont care. Had no idea an ISP gave a rats ass anyways. Its it the copyright holders job to complain?....wish they'd at least have told me what it was. Far as I know I have not nor do I plan to.
It is the copyright holder's job to complain, and that's what they did. What the copyright holder doesn't have is who you are. They have an IP address, and you absolutely do not want random companies to be able to look at your IP address and get your name and contact info, either directly or by asking Spectrum. So copyright holders complain that the ISP that someone at IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XX infringed* on Pants Pirates 3 at 3:45 PM on October 11th. The ISP then sends the notice to whoever was assigned that IP at that date and time, and records it in their records. The entire thing is likely automated - nobody on either end ever actively does anything. The copyright bots collect IP addresses, contact the ISP bots, and the ISP bots contact you.

*The copyright strike can be uploading it somewhere, downloading it through BitTorrent, downloading it from some site, watching it on an illegitimate 'free movies' site, etc. And sometimes (rarely), it is a false positive. But good luck convincing them of it - just wave it off and move on.

What happens varies by ISP. A quick look at Spectrum (warning - this could be out of date) suggests that the second warning gets you a forced agreement (you go online, and the only thing that will load is a number that you have to call and verbally agree - with recording - to stop being a Very Troublesome Person, or you may get to watch a delightful educational video! Then they turn your internet back to normal and you're off and running. At some point after X more strikes (this could be 3 total, or it could be a dozen or more) they'll cut you off permanently. Some comments suggest that they have a rolling 365-day period after which strikes expire.

If you're not doing anything, continue not doing anything. It's taken you this long to accidentally get one. If you are doing something, then either stop, or get thee a VPN to obscure your IP. Not that I'd ever condone such Very Troublesome behavior!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I joined Proton VPN for free. I dont know what I did to get that email so dont want another problem to deal with. I haven't been in the warez scene since the 90s.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:26 pm Books and movies in sci-fi have always seemed to portray humans as weaker than anyone they encounter and aliens as all powerful either through tech or physiology.

There is a significant plotline about this in the Bobiverse novels.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:18 pm

There is a significant plotline about this in the Bobiverse novels.
Sounds like a Teen girl book series but it looks interesting. Lots of books too. Well 5. Lot to me these days.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:55 pm Ok I joined Proton VPN for free. I dont know what I did to get that email so dont want another problem to deal with. I haven't been in the warez scene since the 90s.
Which is fine, but if you're not doing anything, there's nothing to hide with a VPN. That doesn't mean that you can't have a VPN (and there can still be privacy reasons to choose one, or practical reasons), but do be aware that they (especially the free ones) can slow you connection down considerably. (Techie disclaimer - this is horribly simplified, so don't yell.) You're basically connecting to their computers, and then their computers are connecting to whatever you're browsing. Right now, your speed to YouTube is between your YouTube ---> your ISP ---> you. With a VPN, it's YouTube ---> the VPN's ISP ---> VPN's system ---> your ISP ---> you. The speed you pay for from your ISP is now only in play in the connection between you and the VPN, and you're limited to whatever speed they offer from YouTube and from them to you. For free, giving you full speed isn't their priority. Their priority is collecting your data and selling it. Product is you, etc.

If you absolutely must use a free VPN, your better option might be to only turn it on (or even have it running in the background) when you're doing something that might be considered risky (downloading shows, watching bootleg streaming services, operating a pornograph, etc.)