Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Random randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:34 pm Walking is as inexpensive as it gets (as long as you don't need to buy high-end shoes or boots). :coffee:
When I was in particularly poor shape I found walking more beneficial than riding. At least early on. Squats helped build my walking muscles faster (squats when not enough time for walking).

I love riding though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have hills around me. Ill ride down it will ride me back up to home :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

My 16-yo kid played Jimi Hendrix for us this morning.

Hendrix died in 1970, when his mom and I were literally babies.

I guess it makes sense in a way like me playing Louis Armstrong for my parents because I'd just discovered him in the 1980s.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 pm My 16-yo kid played Jimi Hendrix for us this morning.
That deserves inclusion in the Brag on Your Kid thread. I showed my son some guitar technique, but he mostly learned from Rocksmith.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:26 pm a standard bike will get you into shape much faster... and be quite a lot cheaper.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 25748.html
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 16033.html
If your shape is rotten then an ebike would allow you to push your reasonable limit and still get home. I've often thought about one for this plus transpiration to all my local shopping.
Max Peck wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:34 pm Walking is as inexpensive as it gets (as long as you don't need to buy high-end shoes or boots). :coffee:
I need to get better shoes. I have many "cheap" shoes and the only ones that serve me are a $45 pair Sketcher sandals and with my gait I am wearing right through the soles. I need some incredibly wide shoes. For reasons foreign to me wide shoes are impossible to find and when I do they aren't ever actually wide shoes. As I get older my feet are becoming more and more rebellious against uncomfortable shoes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't think it was possible but I think Ive killed my cactus. Years ago me and my wife picked us each out a little cactus at the local food store. We'd never gotten anything to live so figured a cactus was the thing for us. They were blooming and such when we got them then for the next 3 or so years no blooms. Just looked like they were fake cactus lol ...sitting there...alive doing nothing.

Anyways last year I decided to put them in a big pot together so they could grow and spread out more and maybe re-bloom. I even used cactus potting mix just for them. Seemed fine until now. My cactus seems to have rotted at the base where it contacts the dirt. Im not sure If I planted it too deep or not deep enough. Its fallen over and its shriveling away. SIGH. Damnit. lol. Wanted to help them thrive since it was one of the last somethings me and the wife did together before her passing. But seems Ive f'd it up. Her cactus seems ok...for now. Ive been trying to follow the little sunlight / watering guide that came with them.

Fail
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:17 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:26 pm a standard bike will get you into shape much faster... and be quite a lot cheaper.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 25748.html
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 16033.html
If your shape is rotten then an ebike would allow you to push your reasonable limit and still get home. I've often thought about one for this plus transpiration to all my local shopping.
I need to get better shoes. I have many "cheap" shoes and the only ones that serve me are a $45 pair Sketcher sandals and with my gait I am wearing right through the soles. I need some incredibly wide shoes. For reasons foreign to me wide shoes are impossible to find and when I do they aren't ever actually wide shoes. As I get older my feet are becoming more and more rebellious against uncomfortable shoes.
Those bikes look really, really heavy. I suspect you wouldn't do a lot of pedaling. But I've never ridden one so IDK.

Inadequate walking shoes gave me plantar fasciitis, so I replaced them with orthotics. My research led me to Brooks running shoes. I bought the Adrenaline model, but the Ghosts are more popular with runners because they're lighter-weight. That doesn't matter for walking.

Brooks are expensive and they might not be right for you, but they're the best walking shoes I've ever owned and my plantar fasciitis got better when I upgraded to them. Whether you go with Brooks or something else, you should splurge on the right shoes if walking is going to be your thing. Buying a new pair of good shoes once a year is still a heckuva lot cheaper than most other athletic activities (such as biking).
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:17 pm
If you want a quality pair of shoes or boots that'll fit you perfectly, find a local specialty store that carries the higher-end athletic brands of footwear such as Hoka, Brooks, and Saucony. Easiest way to do that? Use the store locator for the aforementioned brands:
Specialty athletic footwear stores like this carry a much broader selection of sizes to choose from. They usually also offer personalized 'Fit Stations,' that help provide specific shoe recommendations based on your particular foot type, measurements, and gait. Suffice to say, it's well worth spending extra for durable footwear that will fit you properly and more comfortably than any $45 pair of Sketcher sandals.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had a pair of Skechers boots once, and they fell apart in all the ways. couldn't believe how garbage they were.

there are household items one absolutely should pay more for better quality (e.g. mattresses, office chairs) and shoes are one of those things. one upside is they can be repaired, rather than thrown out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:12 pm i had a pair of Skechers boots once, and they fell apart in all the ways. couldn't believe how garbage they were.
I have a pair of Sketchers walking shoes that I'm convinced are entirely indestructible. I've had them for a few years now, and they're still in absolutely perfect condition. Only minor issue is a very small tear in the inside lining of my left shoe.

They've been one of the most durable pair of shoes I've ever purchased.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Did you ever notice that the theme music for Night Court and Barney Miller re the same?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:23 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:12 pm i had a pair of Skechers boots once, and they fell apart in all the ways. couldn't believe how garbage they were.
I have a pair of Sketchers walking shoes that I'm convinced are entirely indestructible. I've had them for a few years now, and they're still in absolutely perfect condition. Only minor issue is a very small tear in the inside lining of my left shoe.

They've been one of the most durable pair of shoes I've ever purchased.
My experience with Sketchers mirrors hit's -- they were the sketchiest walking shoes I ever bought. I'm pretty hard on shoes and these lost structural integrity and needed replacing within 6 months.

Maybe they vary by model and we just got unlucky. I still submit that if you're walking athletically, you should splurge on top-quality footwear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Randy Rainbow is not a gamer...

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gonna be a LONG day...not even 6am and Ive been wide awake an hour and cant get back to sleep........sooooo whats your morning like
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been up 1/2 hour. Eating breakfast. Will probably go back to bed in less than an hour.
A normal morning for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My friend who is living in the UK says he has been up since 10pm last night and its noon there now...been sick. So could always be worse.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been seeing kids on TV about a year olde who are wearing glasses. How in the world can adults tell if a kid that young can see better?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Infants are like those little cars that when they bump into something they just shoot off in another direction...they'll be fine without glasses.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Growing up I was a huge Farrah Fawcett fan. Had a crush on her. My sister knew it and won me a poster at our local amusement park. I had it on the back of my door growing up.

I went looking for that same poster since I lost mine and damn if all the posters from the 70s and early 80s aren't worth a pretty penny. Seems mine is more rare than other posters of her and if I want it back its going to cost me $35 or so. OUCH. Maybe one day Farrah honey.

And to the dude wanting $299 mwahahaha haha hahahahahha haha hahahahahahahahahaaaa

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

More obscured elbows.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:13 pm Growing up I was a huge Farrah Fawcett fan. Had a crush on her. My sister knew it and won me a poster at our local amusement park. I had it on the back of my door growing up.

I went looking for that same poster since I lost mine and damn if all the posters from the 70s and early 80s aren't worth a pretty penny. Seems mine is more rare than other posters of her and if I want it back its going to cost me $35 or so. OUCH. Maybe one day Farrah honey.

And to the dude wanting $299 mwahahaha haha hahahahahha haha hahahahahahahahahaaaa

Enlarge Image
As I recall, this was the must-have equivalent British poster back in the eighties for lads of a certain age (myself included):

NSFW:
Spoiler:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:30 pm More obscured elbows.
Damn puritans!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bosche's spoiler pic looks like a Spencers item.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

For this old-school internet forum, a story about the demise of an old-school internet forum .
All of those other sites are long gone, so it shouldn’t have been such a shock to see StripperWeb shut down, too, but the mysterious abruptness of its shuttering came as a surprise. To the loyal users who were still online, and to those of us who hadn't been active for over a decade, StripperWeb was one of the few reliably safe online spaces dancers could go to share information, find community, and discuss the job.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

They opened a new roller skating rink in my town. Has not been one here in years apparently. Its quite popular. We enjoyed it tremendously, enough that we both ordered roller skates.

In entirely related news. I have a broken arm.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jaymon wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:24 pm They opened a new roller skating rink in my town. Has not been one here in years apparently. Its quite popular. We enjoyed it tremendously, enough that we both ordered roller skates.
:horse:
:doh:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm glad I'm not an Oscar Mayer Wiener.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Watch your undercarriage, bud.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't skated since I was a teenager and picked up my 3rd in life girlfriend. I dont plan on skating again in my lifetime. I will count it enough if I can still ride a bike when the time comes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:04 pm I'm glad I'm not an Oscar Mayer Wiener.

'cause if you were an Oscar Mayer wiener...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Jaymon wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:24 pm They opened a new roller skating rink in my town. Has not been one here in years apparently. Its quite popular. We enjoyed it tremendously, enough that we both ordered roller skates.

This clearly calls for a prescription of Rollerdrome. :handgestures-thumbup:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

(ChatGPT generated this response, slightly edited)

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your broken arm! But at least you were able to have some fun at the skating rink before the injury happened. That's the spirit! And who knows, maybe you'll become an expert skater with one arm. Keep that positive attitude and have a speedy recovery!

-----

Seems to be pretty well versed, eh?

But really, that rollerdrome game looks... interesting.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Using Doordash for the first time tonight. If Im not murdered by Kim who is actually KIM or Van Dam Kim I may use it again. Pretty easy. I was afraid of fees but seems pretty slick and cheap. More a test than real thing. Nice how it tracks them so good. Updates well.

EDIT: Who says Little Ceasars doesn't deliver. With Door Dash they do. Im gonna have to use DD more often.....when I have money.. That food bank ghost pepper sauce is good on pizza.. Perfect.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:13 pm Growing up I was a huge Farrah Fawcett fan. Had a crush on her. My sister knew it and won me a poster at our local amusement park. I had it on the back of my door growing up.
The only poster I ever won was at the Tuscarawas County Fair. And it was this

Enlarge Image

….it did not hang over my bed or anywhere else in my childhood home. I actually stuck it in the luggage of a friend when he left for the military. Without his knowledge. I always wondered if he found it while others were in the room. He swears he didn’t.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well on that note, I know where you're going to be very weekend through April:
It’s a question for the ages, really — one that spans beyond gender and age: Are you a Dorothy, a Rose, a Blanche or a Sophia?

Whichever your answer may be, there’ll be something to make you smile at the aptly titled “Thank You for Being a Friend” exhibition opening Friday night at Articipate in Berkley. Detroit-based artist Liz Frankland, a diehard "Golden Girls” fan, has accumulated a broad and devoted online following for her witty paintings of scenes from the timeless NBC sitcom. More than 7,000 pop culture devotees have joined her Instagram to keep up with her depictions of iconic moments from classic films and television shows.

Paintings and prints from her collection will be on display at the exhibition.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Funny enough if you're drinking super sweet southern tea and eat a dash of salt then swallow a sip of tea it tastes like a watermelon. Just discovered that one.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you have diabetes your taste buds can change and everything tastes different. Especially water.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It turns out that today is the sort of day when a Paris Hilton song is the Wikipedia Article of the Day.

In related news, today I learned that there is such a thing as a Paris Hilton song. I had no idea.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch