Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Random randomness

Post by Holman »

I'm sure it's a gradient, but in general terms how thick is the layer of air I'm personally warming? Is it more like three inches or more like three feet?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Outside my area of expertise but I suspect that would depend on the temperature difference. The higher the difference, the lower the reach and even in the best case like within 1 degree it would probably be millimeters. That is based on what happens if there is any gap between me and my blankets near the opening when in bed. It needs to be close to help!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

This makes me think about what blankets actually do.

Do they simply keep your body from losing heat (as they prevent cold room air from touching you), or does your body actually warm the blanket to the point where it radiates heat back to you?

I thought about this a lot back when I moved from Georgia to Michigan.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blankets are all about trapping heat.

Insulator.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:59 pm Outside my area of expertise but I suspect that would depend on the temperature difference. The higher the difference, the lower the reach and even in the best case like within 1 degree it would probably be millimeters. That is based on what happens if there is any gap between me and my blankets near the opening when in bed. It needs to be close to help!
The Apollo 13 astronauts had to shut down all nonessential electricity on the ride home to Earth, and that included all but the minimum heat necessary to stay alive. It was cold. I remember reading that they tried to stay absolutely still in order to maintain a personal bubble of body heat. Since there was no ventilation and there's no convection in microgravity the air didn't move unless they disturbed it. But it was hard to remain still enough for long enough to ever warm up more than a few degrees.

Ah, here we go:

Lovell said they could fall asleep in their couches in the CM because in weightlessness, a layer of warm air would form around your body. But then something would disturb that warm layer and you’d bolt awake. He didn’t say it, but I suspect what was disturbing it was the body’s reflexive reaction to the buildup of CO2 around the face.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:28 pm Sort of like wind chill. Anything that penetrates the "air bubble".
This. Anybody who doesn't have to deal with windchill likely doesn't know how much windchill can affect temperature. My room often gets very cold as it's a corner of the house that always has lots of wind. Add on the humidity, which is also another factor, and it's quite chilly, even with a space heater being used 24/7.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:48 pm I'm sure it's a gradient, but in general terms how thick is the layer of air I'm personally warming? Is it more like three inches or more like three feet?
coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:59 pm Outside my area of expertise but I suspect that would depend on the temperature difference. The higher the difference, the lower the reach and even in the best case like within 1 degree it would probably be millimeters. That is based on what happens if there is any gap between me and my blankets near the opening when in bed. It needs to be close to help!
I'm also not an expert, but I did do a little research on it a few years ago. As I recall, it's several feet (as long as you're stationary for a while, like sitting on the couch or at a desk), but it's more of a question of how much it affects the area of warmed air. Something three feet away is going to cool you less than something six inches away.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

So far you guys are talking about convection and the associated conduction to the air and surfaces that are touching you. There is also a radiation effect. Everything radiates energy due to its own temperature. We are generally warmer than our surroundings so we lose he to them. This is especially true when some of the surroundings are things like windows which are lower temperature than the nearby walls. Interior walls are best because they are generally the temperature of your room, exterior walls are next best because they are thicker and better insulated, windows are the worst even if they are double paned.
Last edited by Madmarcus on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:15 am exterior walls are next best because they are thinker
:think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:15 am So far you guys are talking about convection and the associated conduction to the air and surfaces that are touching you. There is also a radiation effect. Everything radiates energy due to its own temperature. We are generally warmer than our surroundings so we lose he to them. This is especially true when some of the surroundings are things like windows which are lower temperature than the nearby walls. Interior walls are best because they are generally the temperature of your room, exterior walls are next best because they are thinker and better insulated, windows are the worst even if they are double paned.
That was pretty much exactly what I said... ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:04 am
Madmarcus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:15 am exterior walls are next best because they are thinker
:think:
Making sure someone was thinking about the answers!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:37 pm That was pretty much exactly what I said... ;)
Sort of. When you start talking about a bubble of air you are talking about conduction from you to the air and from the air to its surroundings. Then you have the convection effects if the bubble of warmed air is disturbed. Those two are pretty tightly tied together because at one level it is all just atoms bumping into each other.

The radiation is totally different and doesn't involve the atoms bumping together. It is why a Mylar "space blanket" can help keep you warm even though it is thin. It traps a layer of air to block convection but it also reflects more of the black body infrared radiation that you are giving off than an equivalently thin non-reflective material would.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The average human radiates the heat equivalent to a 100W light bulb.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm a three way bulb.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We don't kink shame.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

he's just a poor bulb from a poor family
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just had a big THUMP here. Not sure what it was. Nothing fell like a tree. Dogs are barking. Maybe a sonic boom. But it was a quick one if so. THUMP shook the house and over.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been hearing a lot of that around here lately. Where do you live?
Actually I have and I don't know what they are. Sooner or later in the spring or summer I'll find out I'm sure.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Probably spy balloons popping.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:22 pm Just had a big THUMP here. Not sure what it was. Nothing fell like a tree. Dogs are barking. Maybe a sonic boom. But it was a quick one if so. THUMP shook the house and over.
Around here, and this time of year - it would usually be ice falling that makes big thumps.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Any sandworms in your area? Could just be the Fremen using a thumper to get a ride.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:38 pm I've been hearing a lot of that around here lately. Where do you live?
Actually I have and I don't know what they are. Sooner or later in the spring or summer I'll find out I'm sure.
Im in east TN
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:22 pm Just had a big THUMP here. Not sure what it was. Nothing fell like a tree. Dogs are barking. Maybe a sonic boom. But it was a quick one if so. THUMP shook the house and over.
Around here, and this time of year - it would usually be ice falling that makes big thumps.
That and air going through the pipes. Also here, because of living close to mines, we'll periodically feel the house shake due to mining blasts. Sometimes they're strong enough to make people think they're earthquakes, and people will report them as seismic events. One of the towns right next to one of the mines actually has a schedule posted for times which they'll be blasting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

I remember a family story about my grandmother getting pissed off when some blasting at the rock quarry shook half of her fine china off the shelf.

It didn't help things that my grandfather was managing the quarry.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

She probably was angry more at her husband than the company running the quarry :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder where Coca Cola gets the water they put into their soda? Is it simply like their Dasani water where they get it from municipal water then filter it and resell.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Who said anything about filtering.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Being entirely out of the loop of popular music, seeing the media reactions and news bits about the Grammys the following day is always kind of hilarious.

Madonna has a new face. ABBA is somehow a thing again. Ben Affleck is every dude at their wife's work party. Beyonce was...robbed by Harry Styles wearing a sequined jumpsuit? Muse is now somehow "metal". Someone called Sam Smith is corrupting our children with a wholly "satanic" performance (this one was particularly funny to me. Belphegor would have these people running screaming for the hills. :lol: )
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I saw an ad that said ABBA was performing at the grammy's, and I was confused. I just assumed they were dead. They were popular like 50 years ago. Yes, its been that long I think.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No bad talk about ABBA! :)

AMC seems to be trying to nail that last nail into their coffin.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/amc- ... 235514262/

AMC Theatres to Change Movie Ticket Prices Based on Seat Location
There will be three different seat-pricing options. The first is Standard Sightline, described as the “seats that are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket.” Then there’s Value Sightline, referred to as “seats in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than standard sightline seats.” (Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership.) The third option is Preferred Sightline, which are the “seats in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a premium to standard sightline seats.” AMC Stubs A-List members will be able to reserve seats in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.
I then me and my wife ALWAYS sat left of center about 3 - 4 rows up. Glad I hate out AMC theater and love our UEC
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just took a look. I recognize some of the names. Most of the music I hear now is from Spotify and most of it is from artists I've never heard of... apparently they aren't award winning artists, but I'm fine with that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You know, in my olde age I hardly ever listen to anything new. Every once in a while I'll read a headline about a song and I'll listen to it, but that's about it. That's how I became a fan of Lady Gaga.
Of course I listen to our own recommendations but they aren't usually new, or at least the ones I listen to.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do we have a e-bike thread? If so I couldn't find it. Thought about just using the ev thread but seemed wrong.

Just wanted to say Im dreaming of an ebike and have off and on over the years. This is just a dream as I cannot afford even the cheapest one but I NEED to get in shape soon or get bad bad health to come. Right now my mind is settled on a Totguard. Walmart sells them for like $500. yes I know if you want a good ebike its gonna cost at least 41500. I cannot afford good. I can aford fair with great reviews and a 500w motor that does 21 mph. :)...someday.

Only trouble is Totguard doesn't make a step through like that size. So Ill have to find a step through some place one day to dream about. But Im settled on them. Always were girls bikes to me but Im too old to give a rats ass now and a step thru is MUCh easy to use and such.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

a standard bike will get you into shape much faster... and be quite a lot cheaper.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 25748.html
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 16033.html
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Walking is as inexpensive as it gets (as long as you don't need to buy high-end shoes or boots). :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:58 pm Do we have a e-bike thread? If so I couldn't find it. Thought about just using the ev thread but seemed wrong.

Just wanted to say Im dreaming of an ebike and have off and on over the years. This is just a dream as I cannot afford even the cheapest one but I NEED to get in shape soon or get bad bad health to come. Right now my mind is settled on a Totguard. Walmart sells them for like $500. yes I know if you want a good ebike its gonna cost at least 41500. I cannot afford good. I can aford fair with great reviews and a 500w motor that does 21 mph. :)...someday.

Only trouble is Totguard doesn't make a step through like that size. So Ill have to find a step through some place one day to dream about. But Im settled on them. Always were girls bikes to me but Im too old to give a rats ass now and a step thru is MUCh easy to use and such.
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:26 pm a standard bike will get you into shape much faster... and be quite a lot cheaper.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 25748.html
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/ ... 16033.html
Indeed, sitting one's arse upon a battery-powered vehicle assuming that'll "get you in shape soon" seems a wee bit naive to say the least; unless the shape you're aiming for is akin to what was portrayed in WALL-E:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm Indeed, sitting one's arse upon a battery-powered vehicle assuming that'll "get you in shape soon" seems a wee bit naive to say the least; unless the shape you're aiming for is akin to what was portrayed in WALL-E:
I'd been considering an eBike as my attempts to ride a regular bike around my neighborhood almost killed me. If I had assistance on the hills, I could eventually build enough stamina to transition back to a regular bike. But yeah, I wouldn't get a eBike to just tool around a flat area for fitness, that's for sure.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im VERY out of shape and no stam and i suspect my heart is weak. I plan the ebike thing because when I was young I was an avid rider and would ride into town from the suburbs ..I could ride 16 miles a day if I had to. My plan is it walk and ebike. Ill pedal my way out around these country back roads as much as Im able then let the bike bring me home when I wouldn't make it back otherwise. It will be a helper not a full doer.

For that im thinking for fun rides in the evenings to get a small gas powered scooter bike. Small enough CC wise so I dont have to register it or get a license or helmet...thinking that 125cc here in TN but would have to look.

Again all in the near future someday.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is the bike Ive been dreaming of for right now...21 speed..had a 10 speed but even with my dad asking me to get it I never got it and let it go lol This would be after all debt is gone, home paid, and pc upgraded, and car repaired..years away...dreaming..its fun to dream. Dreaming is a poor person's Disneyland.

BTW anyone own a Totguard?

Enlarge Image

But by the time I actually get one Im hoping to afford one like.....most likely used btw......

Enlarge Image