Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I found this also...

While President, Ulysses S. Grant was arrested for speeding.

Nearly 25 years after Ulysses S. Grant’s death, a peculiar story hit the pages of the Washington Evening Star. Within the paper’s Sunday edition one day in 1908, retired police officer William H. West recounted how he had caught the 18th President speeding through the streets of Washington, D.C. — and decided the only appropriate course of action was to proceed with an arrest.

West’s tale harkened back to 1872, during a particularly bad bout of traffic issues, when complaints of speeding carriages were on the rise. West had been out investigating a collision when he witnessed Grant — then the sitting President — careening his horse-drawn carriage down the road. The officer flagged down the carriage, issued a warning, and sent Grant on his way. But Grant, who had a reputation for high-tailing horse rides, couldn’t resist the need to speed. West caught him the very next day once again tearing through the city. Feeling he had no other option, the officer placed the President under arrest. At the police department, Grant was required to put $20 (about $490 in today’s money) toward his bond before being released.

Historian John F. Marszalek, who oversaw Grant’s presidential collection at Mississippi State University, says the situation blew over pretty quickly. Grant’s arrest wasn’t the first time he had been cited for speeding. It also wasn’t a political quagmire for either party. At the time, West — a formerly enslaved Civil War veteran who became one of just two Black police officers in Washington, D.C., immediately after the war — was commended for his actions in trying to make the city streets safer. And Grant owned up to his mistake — though he did choose to skip his court appearance scheduled for the following day, which meant he forfeited his $20. He didn’t face any further consequences, however.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its me getting older but for the last week I keep hearing sounds from my left speaker that make me turn and look left. Its so real the sounds and its like the sound is actually coming from further left than the speaker...like in the room beside me. I look so much lol. Its videos and games and such. Little effects sounds...not voices lol. Tinks and beeps or nature sounds. FAIK I haven't changed any drivers or sound settings to improve my system. Its kinda neat how 3d it is...but only on the left. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My bedroom is in a back corner of the house and any time I hear an outside noise it sounds like it's coming right outside my window.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hate you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ba ba da ba.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I hate making a sandwich out of the heels of a loaf of bread but a sandwich made in a hoagie roll or burger bun or just about any bread designed to be two heels of bread is a treat. Brain re training needs to occur.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Before the pandemic I used to get one of those rice a roni type boxes for $1. Now they're $2.50.
Now the dogs have decided they don't like their Cesars dog for. I may eat it. They smell good.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure but I dont think Pizza Hut has any dine in places any longer. I mean ours is still here but i dont think they allow it. Im not sure though. think the pandemic killed it off. Was so dark in there you could barely see your hand in front of you back in the day. I need to cal land see. I haven't been in that location since I was like 22.

EDIT: Called that location and yes they still have dine in. wow. May have to go something. Wish they still had Priazzo.

And while on the topic of Pizza Hut...I wish their pan pizza was like the old days. Back in the 80s and part of 90s it was actual deep dish. The crust wasn't super thick but the edges came up and there was a shallow bowl like area for lots of cheese and toppings to go. Now days what they call pan pizza is basically a thick bread crust with the normal amount of toppings on top. I mean I love it..it tastes great...but I miss the true deep dish pan pizza from them.

ive looked at other pizza chains at their pan pizzas and they seem the same as Pizza Hut now. Bready dough crust and normal pizza toppings amount. I do need to try some of them though. I hear Dominoes is good.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Power keeps cutting out which means sometime tonight I'll be loosing power completely for an hour or more. Fortunately it only 30 out.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposed to have steady 20-30 mph winds all night tonight and all day tomorrow with gusts up to 50 mph. Im sure there'll be lots of power outages around me. I just hope a tree dont fall on my house. The temps should be almost 57 ...all day rain and wind so no good to go anywhere.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:58 pm Im not sure but I dont think Pizza Hut has any dine in places any longer. I mean ours is still here but i dont think they allow it. Im not sure though. think the pandemic killed it off. Was so dark in there you could barely see your hand in front of you back in the day. I need to cal land see. I haven't been in that location since I was like 22.

EDIT: Called that location and yes they still have dine in. wow. May have to go something. Wish they still had Priazzo.

And while on the topic of Pizza Hut...I wish their pan pizza was like the old days. Back in the 80s and part of 90s it was actual deep dish. The crust wasn't super thick but the edges came up and there was a shallow bowl like area for lots of cheese and toppings to go. Now days what they call pan pizza is basically a thick bread crust with the normal amount of toppings on top. I mean I love it..it tastes great...but I miss the true deep dish pan pizza from them.

ive looked at other pizza chains at their pan pizzas and they seem the same as Pizza Hut now. Bready dough crust and normal pizza toppings amount. I do need to try some of them though. I hear Dominoes is good.
I know Little Caesars gets criticized a lot here, but their deep dish is actually really good.

As for pizza in general, I've had a theory about the local joints for awhile now. It seems that they all start out making thin crust, possibly NY style, but when they become more successful they seem to turn to thicker crust and completely change their style. It's happened to most of the places in the area.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:23 am I know Little Caesars gets criticized a lot here, but their deep dish is actually really good.

As for pizza in general, I've had a theory about the local joints for awhile now. It seems that they all start out making thin crust, possibly NY style, but when they become more successful they seem to turn to thicker crust and completely change their style. It's happened to most of the places in the area.
For what it is Little Caesar's is awesome. A ready fresh pizza for $6 or call ahead for deep dish for $9 (US). It's even better if you find a deal for a Pepsi or Crazy Bread at the time. Is it the best? No, but it's in class by itself of not bad for the price, especially their deep dish, which is actually really good :) . Since they replaced the original location (which I could walk to to pick up), my LC even has a drive thru.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Meanwhile 12" of snow later................It'll be next month before the road is passable. :?
Fortunately I didn't lose power.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now don't you start eating goats...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You know of any around here?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:53 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:23 am I know Little Caesars gets criticized a lot here, but their deep dish is actually really good.

For what it is Little Caesar's is awesome. A ready fresh pizza for $6 or call ahead for deep dish for $9 (US). It's even better if you find a deal for a Pepsi or Crazy Bread at the time. Is it the best? No, but it's in class by itself of not bad for the price, especially their deep dish, which is actually really good :) . Since they replaced the original location (which I could walk to to pick up), my LC even has a drive thru.
I love Little Caesars Pizza. Me and my wife started trying them back when they first did the $5 HotNreadY I think it was. Couldn't touch that price anywhere for a hot fresh pizza...not even frozen pizza was that cheap cept for the crappier stuff. Didn't even know they had pan pizza. I recall them only having square pizza then a few years ago my sister brought me one and it was round. Wasn't sure it was LC lol
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:53 am

Yeah, I agree.. It's not the best pizza, but for a cheap reliable meal, it's a good deal. We have a local wood-fired pizzeria that we tried once, but good god, was it expensive. It was good pizza, but for nearly $30 for a 15-Inch meat lover's and a paper-thin crust, it just didn't seem like a good value for what we got and it's not something we expect to try again. Meanwhile they've been so successful that they're opening up a second location.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought jztemple might like these when I came across them.....

https://www.zokuhome.com/collections/fr ... d-set-of-2

Enlarge Image
Flamingo Ice Pop Molds make it okay to play with your food. Each Flamingo Ice Pop Mold makes four pops, and is easy to clean.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:49 pm Paid off my house today and am now completely, 100% out of debt. :dance:

This is a seriously strange feeling.
Nice. We paid off the house in March(ish?) and only debt is the loan on the wife's minivan, but that is 0% so no hurry to pay that off.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope this doesn't jinx any of them. The ones in the their 70s are hard for me to come to grips with as my mind still sees them in the 1980s days younger than I am now.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smelled something dead. Narrowed it down to the crack behind the piano..the 1/2 foot - 1 foot floor decaying falling in slowly crack. Peee yeeew. Its getting worse and with 30 mph wind today its blowing air through every crack, wall and floor...and its making it worse and worse. I can now smell it from my bedroom. Theres nothing I can do cause I cant get back there. Maybe some lysol spray behind the piano will help. Ugh

And no I didn't poison the mice. Cant with a little dog here. They tend to spread it all over and my dog can get to it then.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You have a piano. Do you play it?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No my wife did. It was her childhood one. She tried to teach me but I wouldn't stick with it and only learned to play a song or two.

Its been out of tune for years and a couple sticky keys. Main problem is even if I wanted to its sitting on the floor falling in..its at precarious angle and Im worried everything sitting on it will slide off someday sooner than later. Its too heavy for me to move and If I put my weight there as well Im sure id end up under the house.

If nothing changes the floors will all fall in the years to come. Im most likely to pay off the mortgage only to be killed by the newly paid off home. lol. If so so be it.

The house is 7 rooms and are headed south. The original OLD 3 rooms. The house was originally those 3 rooms. Then they added more onto it over the years..like a kitchen, bathroom and den and my wifes childhood room thats now our..or my...bedroom. The bedroom, bathroom, den and kitchen are fine.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Can you sell the useless piano?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Because this is where where I seem to post the price of eggs...

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pybshellegg.pdf\

Their estimate had been in line with my experience for the last two years. This no longer the case.

Midwest Large Dozen Range 324-333 Mostly 326-329

A dozen large eggs around here are generally around $3.69 and can exceed $4. There is also almost no differential anymore between free range and production line egg costs.

Edit: NM this is wholesale price and not consumer prices. I seem to have lost that consumer prices page.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm getting to the point where I will actively avoid business/consumption of products that advertise with arbitrary dings that sound like computer or phone notifications.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 am Can you sell the useless piano?
That was my thought also but from the number of free pianos and organs on Marketplace I'm not sure you can get any money for a piano unless it is something fancy like a baby grand.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:53 am I'm getting to the point where I will actively avoid business/consumption of products that advertise with arbitrary dings that sound like computer or phone notifications.
I actively avoid any company that tries to manipulate/trick me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You don't even play piano!

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 am
That was my thought also but from the number of free pianos and organs on Marketplace I'm not sure you can get any money for a piano unless it is something fancy like a baby grand.
That's where I was going with my question, but if it's in poor condition it's probably not worth anything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You cant give a good working one away around here. They just sit and sit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:01 pm Hope this doesn't jinx any of them. The ones in the their 70s are hard for me to come to grips with as my mind still sees them in the 1980s days younger than I am now.

Enlarge Image
How does Keith Richards not make the list at 79?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:01 pm Hope this doesn't jinx any of them. The ones in the their 70s are hard for me to come to grips with as my mind still sees them in the 1980s days younger than I am now.

Enlarge Image
From the look of it, he doesn't do enough vocals or have the band named after him. Maybe if the Expensive Winos were more popular?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's a lich, so...
Holman

Post by Holman »

79 is only 31 in Keith Richards years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:53 am I'm getting to the point where I will actively avoid business/consumption of products that advertise with arbitrary dings that sound like computer or phone notifications.
i remember my dad listening to the classic rock station in the 90s and i swear at least a quarter of the commercials started with the sound of a phone ringing - absolutely obnoxious on every level
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:27 pm
79 is only 31 in Keith Richards years.
Yeah. I was going to point out that it’s a list of aging musicians.

Keith Richards stopped aging about 30 years ago.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

But he aged 100 in his first 40.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just venting and sorta asking if anyone else has had this problem in YouTube. But remember all that trouble with getting sound t owork right after upgrading to Win10 and having to just use the hi quality or hi res or whatever sound driver / choice? ya I dont want to mess that up.

Ok when Im watching YT videos I jump ahead and back a lot. The problem used to never happen. Then it happened sometimes...like for a couple years. Now its every time Im watching YT videos and jumping around in them. If I simply watch them everything stays ok. I have to reboot my system to clear it up.

The problem is suddenly theres a static or a squelch or a screech sound that overlays all audio. Like it someone is talking its only on their words. Its not full all the time static screech. It sounds like someone using a cd radio unclicks their mike. that high pitch screechy sound. It covers over music and any sound anywhere from the pc...doesn't matter if its YT after that. I can still hear and understand the words being spoken or music playing...just has that crap all over it.

Anyways just venting. Not ready to tear out my sound card and test it or try new drivers or anything...least just yet. Getting close. But with all the headaches I had with sound after going to Win10 Im super gunshy.