Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Random randomness

Post by hepcat »

Ooof, I just got off a business call that ended early after the lead developer yet again had a temper tantrum. I understand he's under a lot of pressure, but he has a history of going off on people when he's stressed out. Today it just happened to be one of the vice presidents of the company. To his credit, the VP simply said "I'm leaving this call now" and left the teams meeting.

But I don't think his hard work is going to get him completely off the hook on this.
Covfefe!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:50 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm Extending ABs thought, there is a whole thing on "overnight oats" which is basically taking oats, yorgurt, and fruit and letting sit in the fridge

https://duckduckgo.com/overnight+oats
FTFY. ;)
practicing link hygiene, i like it
telcta

Post by telcta »

telcta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:51 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm Extending ABs thought, there is a whole thing on "overnight oats" which is basically taking oats, yorgurt, and fruit and letting sit in the fridge

https://www.google.com/search?q=overnight+oats
I saw that on the menu at one of the coffee shops I go to. I’m on my way past there now and I’ll pick up one. That really seems like a good idea because I love oatmeal. I’ve been doing plain oatmeal and putting my own brown sugar on it to control the amount of sugar. The maple and brown sugar oatmeal packets are just too much.
Enlarge Image

Not bad... it was a lot thicker than I expected. The dry crunch oats to mix in was a nice surprise.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have done plain yogurt with fresh berries more than once. It isn't something I'd suggest to someone getting used to the idea of yogurt, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'll mix maple syrup into yogurt if I'm eating the plain kind. Honey is good too.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm Noosa is the only yogurt for me since I found it this year. All the flavors I've tried are great. Its fruit on bottom type. But even the yogurt on top is amazing by itself.
Yeah, Noosa is great. We buy mixed packs at Costco - lemon, blueberry, and strawberry/rhubarb flavors. No raspberry, unfortunately, but those are very good too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gilraen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:50 pm I'll mix maple syrup into yogurt if I'm eating the plain kind. Honey is good too.
^ This. Plus I add wheat germ on top.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I saw that on the menu at one of the coffee shops I go to. I’m on my way past there now and I’ll pick up one. That really seems like a good idea because I love oatmeal. I’ve been doing plain oatmeal and putting my own brown sugar on it to control the amount of sugar. The maple and brown sugar oatmeal packets are just too much.
Keep in mind, once you get used to preparing overnight oats made with plain yogurt as part of your everyday routine, you can save more money by purchasing a simple yogurt maker. That allows you to effortlessly transform milk into delicious homemade yogurt, with higher doses of probiotics and minimal food additives and preservatives as compared to commercial yogurts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
telcta

Post by telcta »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:25 pm

Keep in mind, once you get used to preparing overnight oats made with plain yogurt as part of your everyday routine, you can save more money by purchasing a simple yogurt maker. That allows you to effortlessly transform milk into delicious homemade yogurt, with higher doses of probiotics and minimal food additives and preservatives as compared to commercial yogurts.
This just gets better and better. Your link shows a list from Amazon and I saw an Instant Pot there. I have an Instant Pot... checked the front and there's a yogurt button!

A lot of great suggestions here for sweetening plain yogurt too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And to think all these years you've not spoken to us :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
telcta

Post by telcta »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 pm And to think all these years you've not spoken to us :)
I was young then, thought I knew everything. Sadly, I know very little... but on the bright side, I'm always up for trying something new. LM mentioned overnight oats. Picked some up.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm I really should revisit duckduckgo as my search engine.
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now with no complaints. Also the Firefox extension. Google must think I died.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Did you ever wonder if the meek really are going to inherit Jeff Bezos fortune?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:26 pm Did you ever wonder if the meek really are going to inherit Jeff Bezos fortune?
No. It's just a control method to keep the meek from realizing that they could take the stuff now. Y'know, if they weren't meek.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:43 pm Some of them are more... out there than what I wanted, but nothing in my house looks like a Victorian urn or lathed pillar. Why would I want this one item to look like one? They fit me about as well as floral wallpaper.

Examples:
Spoiler:
I like the second and fourth ones (I deleted the other two in the spoiler). I have no problem with urn style lamps but I do dislike the tired ceramic material in generally pale or neutral colors that I often see. For a long while I simply didn't like anything other than overhead lights but aging eyes mean I need some directed lighting is I am going to sit and read a book and I'd prefer a table lamp even if I am reading on my ereader.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Speaking of lights I still dont own a LED bulb. Always been too expensive. In 2007 I switched all ours to CFL. But those are hard to find now. I dont like the trend of lighting. It seems to get dimmer and dimmer. I liked 100w regular bulbs and replaced all with equivalent CFL ones. at 23w. But I think LED come in a lower wattage that equals 100w .

My biggest choices seems to be soft white or natural or some crap. I want white bright light. Why are there so many choices??
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There are lots of choices for lots of reasons. My bathroom has white lights, whereas the bedroom is more yellowish.

Look for the color temperature.

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Board of Water & Light used to give away free light bulbs. One only needed to go into their office and ask.

I'm glad CFLs went obsolete so quickly. I've still got a drawer full of burned-out CFLs that I shouldn't throw away because mercury, but never get around to taking someplace for safe disposal.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:55 pm I'm glad CFLs went obsolete so quickly. I've still got a drawer full of burned-out CFLs that I shouldn't throw away because mercury, but never get around to taking someplace for safe disposal.
I had a bunch of dead CFL bulbs, our Home Depot had a bin for CFLs when you walked in. There was a separate bin for rechargeable batteries for power tools too.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only go to HD once a year, and never remember to take the dead bulbs. Our town recycling center takes them, too, but it's only staffed a few hours every other Tuesday or some such bullshit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never heard of a Board of Water & Light. If thats the power company then fat chance ours does anything to help or give you anything free except to laugh at ya.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You'd probably want to check with the TVA.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The BWL gave out light bulbs in hopes that we'd burn more of their sweet, sweet electricity. And of course we paid for them through our power bills. Win/win for them, and I'll bet that they got tax benefits for the program too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Our power company gave away bundles of light bulbs, too. In fact, they gave away boxes of LED bulbs just recently.

And I like have a range of colors. Warm light for those that just provide some light at night. White light for those that illuminate places where we get work done (like the kitchen.) Perfect daylight bulbs for painting.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:22 pm My biggest choices seems to be soft white or natural or some crap. I want white bright light. Why are there so many choices??
In simple terms, humans see from red to purple. In light bulbs, that means that they run from orange (warm white) to blue (cool white.) "Pure white", as we think of it, is right in the middle. The colors are measured in Kelvin (K), with low numbers being reddish 'warm' light, and high numbers being bluish 'cool' light. It's the color of sunlight, the color our eyes have evolved to see as neutral. Look for a 'natural' or 'daylight' bulb in the 5000K-6000K range (5600K is the color of the sun on a sunny day at noon.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is tough, by the way, to find perfect 'pure' 5600k bulbs. Most 'daylight' bulbs in the stores actually fall in the 4600K-6500K range. Those work just fine as white for normal use. I had to spend quite a bit of time searching to find proper pure white bulbs for painting, and ended up having to get massive 5500K bulbs designed for photographers (the bulbs for 'umbrella lights') in order to pull it off.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:22 pm

My biggest choices seems to be soft white or natural or some crap. I want white bright light. Why are there so many choices??
You should stay out of the paint store.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

But then how will he choose between soft green, glacial green, and honeydew?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The other day Michelle texted me to ask if I needed anything. I texted her back and asked her to bring home a pack of brats.

Much to my disappointment, she did not show up with Molly Ringwald.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like the middle color in those lights. I think I saw some 5700k some place. Walmart I bet. They seem cheapest at 4 for $10
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When opening a ketchup packet from chick-fil-a, don't be lazy and give up after opening just one corner. In doing so, you are creating what's know in the military as a "ketchup canon" that will fire a steady, and immensely powerful stream of ketchup straight out of the side and into the face or clothing of any nearby civilians when you apply force.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I completely forgot about the leaky tire and went to town without looking. I didn't remember until I got home. It looked ok but decided to run a pressure gauge on it to be sure. 30lbs. So its 10 pounds lower than I filled it. Guess Ill have to get it looked at soon'ish. Like Dec
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My experience is leaks get worse in winter as air heats and cools more rapidly and extreme in the tire and the rubber is less flexible. That's why I made sure to take of care of mine last month. It's not uncommon for us to get a pre-Halloween snowstorm, though this year our first snows didn't start until the last weekend and we've been sub freezing ever since.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dad had a few seizures earlier this year, but they were mild - he attributed them to side-effects to the hormone therapy for the prostate cancer. just had another one last week, and finally got an MRI - the initial diagnosis was a 'meningioma':

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20355643
https://www.aans.org/Patients/Neurosurg ... eningiomas

he's going to see a neurologist and a brain surgeon. first role of treatment is getting on medication to manage the seizures, but he says he has 'only' had five this year. i said, why didn't you talk to a neurologist after the first one?!? he just assumed they were the treatment side-effects and didn't investigate further (and refused to discuss further than that).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I need to move my room so I need to get some of those giant plastic totes.

Except Amazon wants... 130 for 4 (110 qt) which is ridiculous.

I pull up Big Lots website, I can get 6 for 120. AND 15% off. Except their website screwed up when I place an order. I'm not sure if order went through.

I check again this morning. NOTHING. It did NOT go through. I place order again. Only 4 available. Okay, f*** that. Order 4 large, and 6 small. Wait for order confirmation and arrangement for delivery via Shipt.

it came MUCH MUCH later... They only found 1 in store. WTF?!?! Okay, fine, I'll take 1 big and 6 of the smaller ones. THEN they say shipping's not available. Pick up only WTF?!?!?! So where's the confirmation I can pick it up? Finally got it at 4PM

Checking Target, they have a slightly smaller (90 qt) for $11 each. Except they can't ship it either. Double F***.

Guess I'll rent a car for 90 minutes to pick up at both locations.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What does “I need to move my room” mean?
You make it sound like you aren’t moving, but just shifting items from one room to another.
Do you live in a hotel?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Some homonyms jump out at me. Warship and Worship. For reasons I don't understand, this one always sticks out when I hear either word used. Like there is some master pun that is just waiting on deck to fly out and change the way we appreciate the world.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 am Some homonyms jump out at me. Warship and Worship. For reasons I don't understand, this one always sticks out when I hear either word used. Like there is some master pun that is just waiting on deck to fly out and change the way we appreciate the world.
Those aren't homonyms in most of the English speaking world.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 am Some homonyms jump out at me. Warship and Worship. For reasons I don't understand, this one always sticks out when I hear either word used. Like there is some master pun that is just waiting on deck to fly out and change the way we appreciate the world.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So I get this phone call today. The guy said he was (typical American name) with PCH. He spoke very slowly and pronounced his words very precisely and had a slight accent.
So I said "Are you Indian?" Silence on the line and then the phone hangs up.
Scammers are gong to do better than that to catch me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What if he had been Indonesian? He woulda got ya.

New and refurb buggies at Walmart dont last but about a year. They are all nice and smooth then one day ya get the floppity floppity wheel or the one that goes where it wants to. Its always when you're in a hurry and trying to go fast through the store...FLOPPITYFLOPPITYFLOPPITY!!!!.

Today I got the Walmart drunk buggy. It would be fine then SUDDEN PULL TO THE LEFT....NO RIGHT...LEFT!! I looked drunk. If I simply shoved it ahead of me and let go it would go a quick left then a right then straighten out....crazy thing.