Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

You get some other schmuck to buy them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:43 pm
The “thumbs up” emoji may look like harmless enough, but rest assured it is the most passive-aggressive of all the emojis at your disposal. It's a dismissive kiss-off, meted out with a single flick of the finger. It's a close cousin of the middle-finger emoji, for people not brave enough to use the middle-finger emoji.Feb 1, 2021

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/dea ... sed-to-use
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

At work, we use "thumbs up" on Teams all the time as a sign of agreement with someone or acknowledgement that they answered your question.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:43 pm
The “thumbs up” emoji may look like harmless enough, but rest assured it is the most passive-aggressive of all the emojis at your disposal. It's a dismissive kiss-off, meted out with a single flick of the finger. It's a close cousin of the middle-finger emoji, for people not brave enough to use the middle-finger emoji.Feb 1, 2021
I am, once again, happy that I am old enough that if I violate some unwritten internet rule folks will just assume it's due to ignorance on my part.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

:handgestures-thumbupright:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, kind of like Holman already addressed, I am a 50 year old guy managing Gen Z software engineers in a remote environment so text based communication is common (Slack, mostly) and I hope they understand that I am a middle aged manager just doing his job. Of course the fact that I am involuntarily sarcastic and am known as a board gamer and video gamer and am generally perceived as younger than I actually am makes me wonder if there might be some opportunity for confusion there. Depending on the use case, I can switch to ACK or YES. Can I use Admiral Akbar as an ACK or is that a trap?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its hot out today but theres some beautiful clouds up in the simulation today.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:52 pm Yeah, kind of like Holman already addressed, I am a 50 year old guy managing Gen Z software engineers in a remote environment so text based communication is common (Slack, mostly) and I hope they understand that I am a middle aged manager just doing his job. Of course the fact that I am involuntarily sarcastic and am known as a board gamer and video gamer and am generally perceived as younger than I actually am makes me wonder if there might be some opportunity for confusion there. Depending on the use case, I can switch to ACK or YES. Can I use Admiral Akbar as an ACK or is that a trap?
I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to send out a message to all pointing out that you are indeed a 50 year old who might use some symbols or phrases in a way in which younger folks might not be familiar. Or would they take offense to that? :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was 50 I was trying to figure out how to survive Y2K.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:07 pm When I was 50 I was trying to figure out how to survive Y2K.
Congratulations
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm not sure.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:07 pm When I was 50 I was trying to figure out how to survive Y2K.
You just didn't realize that Y2K was going to be the easiest year of the century :wink:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Because Y2K didn't happen I had my oldest stepson come live with me for thirteen years.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:00 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:52 pm Yeah, kind of like Holman already addressed, I am a 50 year old guy managing Gen Z software engineers in a remote environment so text based communication is common (Slack, mostly) and I hope they understand that I am a middle aged manager just doing his job. Of course the fact that I am involuntarily sarcastic and am known as a board gamer and video gamer and am generally perceived as younger than I actually am makes me wonder if there might be some opportunity for confusion there. Depending on the use case, I can switch to ACK or YES. Can I use Admiral Akbar as an ACK or is that a trap?
I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to send out a message to all pointing out that you are indeed a 50 year old who might use some symbols or phrases in a way in which younger folks might not be familiar. Or would they take offense to that? :roll:
They wouldn't take offense, but we don't specifically talk about age at work because age discrimination is a thing and apparently talking about it can have consequences.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:18 pm At work, we use "thumbs up" on Teams all the time as a sign of agreement with someone or acknowledgement that they answered your question.
I think many people have adopted Thumbs Up to mean "OK" because the "OK" gesture now connotes white supremacy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 pm I think many people have adopted Thumbs Up to mean "OK" because the "OK" gesture now connotes white supremacy.
Incidentally, if you're texting or emailing with younger folks, be aware of "ok".

I've unofficially polled a number of people in the 18-21 range over the last few years and can confirm many see it as being passive aggressive.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hate people.
Also in the future if I use OK I mean nothing negative about it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:36 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 pm I think many people have adopted Thumbs Up to mean "OK" because the "OK" gesture now connotes white supremacy.
Incidentally, if you're texting or emailing with younger folks, be aware of "ok".

I've unofficially polled a number of people in the 18-21 range over the last few years and can confirm many see it as being passive aggressive.
OK, Boomer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:51 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:36 pm

OK, Boomer.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 pm
gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:18 pm At work, we use "thumbs up" on Teams all the time as a sign of agreement with someone or acknowledgement that they answered your question.
I think many people have adopted Thumbs Up to mean "OK" because the "OK" gesture now connotes white supremacy.
Well, there are only, like, 6 "reaction" emojis on Teams (the kind you stick on top of someone else's message, not the standalone ones). So it's not like there are many other options.

Ultimately, I'm way too overworked to give a shit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 pm
Wait, so when I've been making the circled thumb and index finger and sticking my other index finger through it I've been indicating "fuck white supremacy"?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:36 pm Incidentally, if you're texting or emailing with younger folks, be aware of "ok".

But who exactly is at fault here? I didn't get to tell my grandmother to be less racist just because it made me feel uncomfortable.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:40 pm I... actually get the thumbs-up criticism. In social media, it's the 'Yeah, I see you' alternative to actually responding. You make a thoughtful post, and you're looking for meaningful feedback, and someone just clicks 'thumbs up' and gets back to what they were doing. It's like stepping up in front of a room, making a huge pronouncement, and everyone just turns back to what they were doing before you got there.

Given how prevalent social media has become in communication, it's reasonable that it would be seen similarly (a lazy brush-off) in other contexts.
Isn't that just mirroring how the gesture can be used in real life? Isn't this loosely just a conversation about sarcasm? But I understand the specific issue is both generational/cultural and due to the frequent lack of context online.

Thumbs up is my go-to "I approve of/appreciate your post, but I don't have anything substantive to add" response on Discord. It's what I use when someone has shared their 30th wildlife shot this month and I appreciate their talent, but how many interesting fucking things can you say about ducks? So again, a +1. There have been oodles of times I've wanted to share how much I enjoyed someone's post at OO, but I don't have anything interesting enough to add to justify making a whole new post (that would bump the thread for everyone). But that's just a limitation of this format, or at least this implementation of it. It still has its many strengths as well.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:40 pm I... actually get the thumbs-up criticism. In social media, it's the 'Yeah, I see you' alternative to actually responding. You make a thoughtful post, and you're looking for meaningful feedback, and someone just clicks 'thumbs up' and gets back to what they were doing. It's like stepping up in front of a room, making a huge pronouncement, and everyone just turns back to what they were doing before you got there.

Given how prevalent social media has become in communication, it's reasonable that it would be seen similarly (a lazy brush-off) in other contexts.
Isn't that just mirroring how the gesture can be used in real life? Isn't this loosely just a conversation about sarcasm? But I understand the specific issue is both generational/cultural and due to the frequent lack of context online.

Thumbs up is my go-to "I approve of/appreciate your post, but I don't have anything substantive to add" response on Discord. It's what I use when someone has shared their 30th wildlife shot this month and I appreciate their talent, but how many interesting fucking things can you say about ducks? So again, a +1. There have been oodles of times I've wanted to share how much I enjoyed someone's post at OO, but I don't have anything interesting enough to add to justify making a whole new post (that would bump the thread for everyone). But that's just a limitation of this format, or at least this implementation of it. It still has its many strengths as well.
Very well said! I've never thought about it but that would be my reasoning for a thumbs up on YouTube without posting a comment.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:53 pm Went to the bank today to close my wife's account. Turns out I need a death certificate as the power of attorney is no longer valid.
Hmm, I did not know that. With my wife's various health issues we both long ago got powers of attorney and medical powers of attorney for each other.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have both myself but evidently no longer valid after death. I'm also the sole heir too but that doesn't affect it either.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

To the conversation outside of dbt...

Meh.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 pm

And that's how it started, and how people who've been around for a while use it. But it's evolved into something else. It's "That's nice, dear" from an adult when you were a kid. Yeah, yeah. I heard you. Moving on. Sort of like when you post a thread on OO that's important to you and it rolls off the page without a single reply.

That isn't always the intent, but I have felt it come across that way a few times (and I rarely post on social media.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:24 pm Sort of like when you post a thread on OO that's important to you and it rolls off the page without a single reply.
I resemble that remark. They don't call me "Threadkiller" for nothing :roll:
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 pm Thumbs up is my go-to "I approve of/appreciate your post, but I don't have anything substantive to add" response on Discord. It's what I use when someone has shared their 30th wildlife shot this month and I appreciate their talent, but how many interesting fucking things can you say about ducks? So again, a +1.
Same. While I have used a sarcastic ok or thumb's up in person when I use it in social media or texts it is either acknowledgement of getting a text that doesn't need an answer or trying to say that I appreciate something but don't have any additional interesting thoughts about it.

BTW, what is the status of k? With the issues surrounding ok I have thought about switching to it but whenever I put it in a text it feels like I"m trying too hard to be less out of touch.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Good thing I don't text Zers. K is a pretty standard response for me to acknowledge a text with no additional info. Same goes for back when I had to Teams/Skype. Much worse for my inner X passive aggressive was how Teams/Skype was essentially a childlike way to demand attention. Like if you are talking to someone, on the phone, answering email, doing things, an IM was supposed to stop everything so you can read and respond. The constant sense of immediacy above and beyond all of the other things competing for my attention drove me to the point of leaving my status as "appear away" 24/7 and then I chose whether to address the messages at all. :teasing-poke: :character-oldtimer:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are actual issues with 'OK' other than the gesture?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

decided to learn Russian (since i've always wanted to do so) - i recommend the site "preply" for finding tutors on all different languages (including computer programming languages) and other topics. tutors set their own rates, and if you sort by price, you can find some shockingly low ones. (my tutors charge $10/hour, but there were some that were just starting out - or really needed the money - for $5/hour. i've seen in other languages going as low as $2 or $3/hour...)

i have one tutor from Ukraine (currently living as a refugee in Switzerland) and one in Kazakhstan. both are extremely nice and driven to provide a good learning experience - i think they both go above and beyond with their lesson plans; they really want me to learn. nothing but good things to say about my experience so far.

(and a referral code:
https://preply.com/en/?pref=NjM1NzE2OA= ... 845.955831
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Enlarge Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

+1

If it's good enough for Vault Boy, it's good enough for me! :D

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:40 am There are actual issues with 'OK' other than the gesture?
I've seen suggestions that the gesture identification is enough to taint the word itself. Add the confusion over the changing meaning (is it a positive response, is it sarcastic, is it a complete brush off?) and it is enough for me to steer away from it most of the time even if the language needs a good, short, positive acknowledgement word. Unfortunately roger and affirmative both sound stilted and, at least to my ears, simply k sounds even more passive aggressive or sarcastic then OK.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

10-4 good buddy.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:48 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:40 am There are actual issues with 'OK' other than the gesture?
I've seen suggestions that the gesture identification is enough to taint the word itself.
I honestly don't see that, and doubt the connection is strong enough to change my using that particular term.