Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Random randomness

Post by hepcat »

Would that have been enough for everyone though? Some guys might be able to fit three or fou…..

…you know what, I’m out. You gotta know when to quit.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So I'm at a concert Friday and the band announces they have t-shirts for sale. They say they have crew neck, v necks and tank tops. So I go to the merch booth and ask to see the dago t. She looks at me like, WTF are you talking about......I said "you announced you had dago t's". She says. I would never say that!!!! Lol....I have to explain to her it's not a derogatory thing. It's what we call them here in Chicago. Do other places call tank tops that too?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:55 pm So I'm at a concert Friday and the band announces they have t-shirts for sale. They say they have crew neck, v necks and tank tops. So I go to the merch booth and ask to see the dago t. She looks at me like, WTF are you talking about......I said "you announced you had dago t's". She says. I would never say that!!!! Lol....I have to explain to her it's not a derogatory thing. It's what we call them here in Chicago. Do other places call tank tops that too?
"Dago T" is nothing I've ever heard, but I'm a Deep-South guy transplanted to Philadelphia.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What do you need help with?

How many people know the term and still use it?
Are we surprised to her reaction?
Wouldn’t we also use the term at a booth when we were told ‘tank-top’ and post about it later?
Don’t we also feel that the world has become too sensitive to all of this and it’s super annoying?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Might not be derogatory in Chicago but if you said it in the greater NY/NJ area, it could potentially be problematic.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've lived in Vermont, Texas, Illinois, and Colorado.

I've never heard that term.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve been in Chicago for over 2 decades and I’ve never once heard someone use that to describe a t-shirt. It’s obviously derogatory. But I suspect you know that.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Would wife beater had been better?
BTW......I'm half Italian and half Irish. Tank tops have been called either of the 2 for as long as I can remember.
Maybe it was from growing up in Cicero/Berwyn.
Last edited by stimpy on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How about just “tank top”?
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:24 pm It’s obviously derogatory.
Yeah. I was miss-prouncing it in my head initially. Once I realized what it actually was, I quickly came to the same conclusion.

Also, according to Merriam-Webster, there isn't even a non-derogatory meaning:
Definition of dago
offensive
—used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a person of Italian or Spanish birth or descent

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The urban dictionary also lists the n word and says people have been “gaslighted” into thinking it’s bad. If you were attempting to justify the use of an ethnic slur, then you aren’t helping your cause by referring anyone to the urban dictionary.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That is also on urban dictionary…and the definition is even more blatantly racist. That site is pretty much a KKK member’s wet dream, it seems.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wow...

I remember Urban Dictionary having something more like legitimate slang definitions. When did it turn into a place for outright racism? I was curious about the n-word comment. So I looked. When I hit the "definition" talking about tree monkeys... I'm out. That site is garbage.

Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I remember many years ago I added an esoteric, in joke definition (wish I could remember it now) and it got accepted.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had used it a while back to look up “Roman Helmet” as prep for a New Jersey utensil free pot luck corn hole event and….

…no…I said I was done. I need to stick to my promises.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I used it as an example of how it is used by Italians, which I grew up around.
None them thought as the term dago t as derogatory.
Neither do I.
Can it be twisted into something else by those that arent used to it or heard it before? Sure.
Doesnt change the fact that tank tops have always been dago t's to me. And I've never found any offense to it.

I had no idea Urban Dictionary devolved into a shit site.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:56 pm I used it as an example of how it is used by Italians, which I grew up around.
Ah, the old “But I have black friends” defense.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:53 pm I had used it a while back to look up “Roman Helmet” as prep for a New Jersey utensil free pot luck corn hole event and….
:lol:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:58 pm
stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:56 pm I used it as an example of how it is used by Italians, which I grew up around.
Ah, the old “But I have black friends” defense.
Not even close. If you werent so busy trying to be witty you'd have noticed I posted I'm Italian.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<insert flustered Mal Reynolds meme>
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:07 pm <insert flustered Mal Reynolds meme>
Nah....I like the post you deleted.
You know....about it being a lost cause.
I agree, so please, for the love of God, stop trying.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You could make a case that in a completely Italian American group of long time friends you might be able to get away with dago sort of like African Americans can use the n-word among themselves but you can get away with lots of stuff with long term friends. Yeah, it feels a little bit bad that society is removing a lot of the color from language. Right now I'm feeling the loss of any way to jokingly refer to personal foilbles with comments like "I'm obsessed with X" but I can see how it bothers people who are diagnosed so I try to avoid that, and similar, language.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ethnic and racial slurs weren’t created to be colorful colloquialisms. They were created to be demeaning insults.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I never heard of a dago T, but "dago" was in common parlance when I was a child. Italians weren't numerous in my hometown, which was comprised mostly of Hollanders and Polacks who had endless jokes about one another. As someone born into the Hollander camp, I knew dozens of Polack jokes. When my parents found out that I was going to marry a Polack, they considered it a mixed marriage. Wife's parents, being more enlightened, overlooked ethnicity and only thought of it as mixed because I was nominally Protestant.

This dago joke was hilarious when I was 7 or 8. Don't click through if you're offended by stupid ethnic jokes.
Spoiler:
Have you heard about the Italian snow tires?
Dago through snow
Dago through mud
And when dago flat, dago "wop wop wop."

I told you it was stupid.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the takeaway throughout all this is that the cashier at the concert wasn’t clueless for thinking stimpy was saying something wrong. Her response was perfectly acceptable.

I had my come to Jesus moment when I realized that using a particular word I thought was just off color humor in a social setting was actually offensive and hurtful to a friend. It’s not that hard to drop something like that when you realize the harm it can do.

Sometimes being politically correct is just being compassionate.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When I was young my friends referred to bargaining as being "jewed down." I once said it in my father's presence and he firmly corrected me. I switched to "gyped" until that also became offensive.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 pm BTW......I'm half Italian and half Irish.
OK, so to be perfectly clear, you just pretend to just maybe be Ukrainian when it can be used to defend your comments in that context? Am I following things closely enough here?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I made a reference to the French surrendering in WW2 in a joking manner elsewhere on OO a little while back. However, that was more a historical joke, and I’m 1/24th French.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:50 pm
stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 pm BTW......I'm half Italian and half Irish.
OK, so to be perfectly clear, you just pretend to just maybe be Ukrainian when it can be used to defend your comments in that context? Am I following things closely enough here?
Yes. You're following along just fine. Keep on it and you'll eventually crack the case wide open, cochise.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:29 pm I never heard of a dago T, but "dago" was in common parlance when I was a child. Italians weren't numerous in my hometown, which was comprised mostly of Hollanders and Polacks who had endless jokes about one another. As someone born into the Hollander camp, I knew dozens of Polack jokes. When my parents found out that I was going to marry a Polack, they considered it a mixed marriage. Wife's parents, being more enlightened, overlooked ethnicity and only thought of it as mixed because I was nominally Protestant.

This dago joke was hilarious when I was 7 or 8. Don't click through if you're offended by stupid ethnic jokes.
Spoiler:
Have you heard about the Italian snow tires?
Dago through snow
Dago through mud
And when dago flat, dago "wop wop wop."

I told you it was stupid.
That joke was olde when I was a kid. And of course I heard from an Italian kid.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:17 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:50 pm
Yes. You're following along just fine. Keep on it and you'll eventually crack the case wide open, cochise.
Lol.
Ok. So you probably aren’t Italian either?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are hundreds of racial slurs baked into phrases that used to be common parlance, and it is possible to use that as a rationalization for using them.

But when it comes right down to it, we grew up and got a clue. Maybe you should, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The real tragedy of this story is that the shirt didnt even fit.
Guess I should have looked at it first, but you'd think an XL would at least be bigger than a childrens small.
Good thing is it fits the wife and is tight as a glove.
:wub:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:51 am
stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:36 am Gotta love FedEx.
Who runs this company, a bunch of monkeys?
What a great business strategy.......
Lets take a package we have in Carol Stream, ship it to Chicago, then......wait for it.........ship it BACK to Carol Stream!!!
Genius!!!

Amazon did something not too different. They shipped from Chicago to the closest distribution center, wherein it the item could have arrived on time or even up two days early, then shipped it Pennsylvania where it sat in warehouse for a week before going off to UPS who then shipped it from a more distant location, arriving a week late. I'm mostly down to ordering from Amazon only if they are large savings, are the only place to find something (neither of which is happens often anymore) or I have a gift card to cash in, which seems to be about once or twice a year.
The last of my Amazon credits spent. Package waits three days to ship. That's OK. I'm not Prime. Package makes it from California to Michigan in four days. Again, no biggie. I'm not a prime subscriber. My stuff moves with the cattle. Now it's jumping from fulfillment center to fulfillment center "locally" getting progressively further away from the three closest fulfillment centers. I suspect it won't arrive today as predicted. We'll see. It went from today to "today by 22:00" this morning. Historically that message means it won't arrive today. Probably has something to do with leaving once center are 21:00 last night but not arriving at a center less than miles from it at 07:00 this morning.

Also wow, Amazon have a lot of warehouses locally. They're all huge too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You should get a farmers almanac and check with an astrologer to see when it will arrive. Wouldn't hurt to check sunspot activity either.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's now out for delivery from the distribution center it shipped to this last night/this morning. One that is nowhere near me and has never shipped to me before. Arrival time is now between now and 17:00. Their logistics remain a mystery to me. I know it has be cheaper for them somehow to ship it close to me and then bounce it around in a bulk picklist before making a van drive through two other distribution center areas before getting to me but I'll be goshdurned if it will ever make sense to me. Also this will be the first on time shipment of 2022 for me. (Admittedly it's only my 4th of the year)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also this will be the first on time shipment of 2022 for me.
Counting eggs before they hatch
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

True but out for delivery has never been a point of failure for me... yet...