Post by dbt1949 »

Does anybody in France speak Scottish?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Re: Random randomness

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 pm Does anybody in France speak Scottish?
Only a true Scotsman.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've got one of these Wear Ever Popcorn Pumpers from the late 70s/early 80s i inherited from the parents. this thing has been going for 40 years, but the plastic chute top is starting to degrade - like it liquefies when it gets hot from the popcorn maker itself. not good. i have a few options:

1) smear the inside of the chute with silicone. that should be heat-resistant enough, right? Right?
PROS: i have the silicone glue here
CONS: will this even work?

2) get a replacement old-stock part on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363702676241
CONS: kinda expensive, and won't the plastic on this old part start liquefying sooner than later from age? also not precisely the exact replacement part

3) get a completely new machine
PROS: it's new
CONS: unknown performance and quality/manufacturing

4) resort to stove-top popping
PROS: it's free
CONS: too much labor in swirling the pan while heating it up

what to do.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am 3) get a completely new machine
PROS: it's new
CONS: unknown performance and quality/manufacturing

4) resort to stove-top popping
PROS: it's free
CONS: too much labor in swirling the pan while heating it up

what to do.
Split the difference, and treat yourself to a Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper:

Enlarge Image

If you want one built for maximum durability, I'd suggest opting for the stainless steel version. But if you prefer something cheaper, go with a nylon gears model. Either way, I believe all of their stovetop poppers include a 25-year warranty. Clean-up could not be much simpler, and it only takes around three minutes to get a 6-quart batch of kernels popped.

More importantly, chewy air-popped popcorn pales in comparison vs. proper oil-popped corn. Nothing beats popcorn made with coconut oil IMO, though it's not the healthiest oil around. Fortunately, oil-popped corn made with healthier monounsaturated fats like olive oil, avocado oil, or walnut oil still tastes vastly superior to bland air-popped corn.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

that's worth considering. i was reading reviews and many say the new models aren't made nearly as well as older, which is unfortunate.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

You have an option 5: resort to microwave popping.

Pros: super-convenient; even easier than an air popper; microwave popping bowls are less than $20 on Amazon.

Cons: unlike an air popper, there's a risk of burning some kernels, because they keep cooking after they've popped. To avoid this, you generally have to stop the microwave while there are still some unpopped kernels in the bowl.

I'm pretty sure you can put oil in the bowl when microwave popping, but I've never tried it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Such a disappointing day and its only 1pm
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:16 am You have an option 5: resort to microwave popping.

Pros: super-convenient; even easier than an air popper; microwave popping bowls are less than $20 on Amazon.

Cons: unlike an air popper, there's a risk of burning some kernels, because they keep cooking after they've popped. To avoid this, you generally have to stop the microwave while there are still some unpopped kernels in the bowl.

I'm pretty sure you can put oil in the bowl when microwave popping, but I've never tried it.
i am not familiar with this technology of the 2000s. going to look it up
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You can also use a simple brown paper bag (like we used as kids for our lunches). But it does tend to end up with a lot of un-popped kernels. Or burned popcorn if you wait too long.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've used one of these for years, and it works great with no oil required.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:21 pm
AWS260 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:16 am You have an option 5: resort to microwave popping.

i am not familiar with this technology of the 2000s. going to look it up
Whether it originates from a paper bag or a piece of cheaply manufactured Chinese plastic, microwaved popcorn still won't hold a candle to the quality of cooking and stirring adequately in oil. After all, this is the fundamental method used by pretty much any and every cinema capable of producing decent-tasting popcorn. Also, the notion that using oil is inherently unhealthy or necessarily bad for one's health is antiquated flapdoodle.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:04 pm I've used one of these for years, and it works great with no oil required.

Enlarge Image
Me too, although when I use my microwave's "Popcorn" preset it does burn a little. I should experiment with different manually entered times.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I know this was discussed before but I don't remember the outcome.

I got one of those $18.90 milk settlements in the form of a virtual debit card. "Your Virtual Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for online purchases or mail/phone orders where Debit Mastercard is accepted." Apparently Amazon is not such a place. How/where can I use this thing? I put together an $18.61 Amazon order and it wouldn't take the debit card or add it to my list of payment methods.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Steam wallet

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:34 pm You can also use a simple brown paper bag (like we used as kids for our lunches). But it does tend to end up with a lot of un-popped kernels. Or burned popcorn if you wait too long.
yes, i have tried this, and have run into these exact same issues.

i'm thinking of the Whirley-Pop now, but the question is: aluminum or stainless steel?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Issie...

Where are you seeing that? I only see fixed options. I did find instructions for how to edit the form in the browser to take a different amount. But I've never seen an actual Custom Amount option.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:35 pm I know this was discussed before but I don't remember the outcome.

I got one of those $18.90 milk settlements in the form of a virtual debit card. "Your Virtual Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for online purchases or mail/phone orders where Debit Mastercard is accepted." Apparently Amazon is not such a place. How/where can I use this thing? I put together an $18.61 Amazon order and it wouldn't take the debit card or add it to my list of payment methods.
I've had the same problem. What I had to do was buy Amazon balance with the card, via Account/Gift Cards/Reload Balance (or something like that.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't try Amazon but used it all over like Steam and other games sites. My trouble is I have like $1.something left on each one and no idea where I can spend a buck lol. Guess it will waste away. Ironically I cant even buy milk for that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:47 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:35 pm I know this was discussed before but I don't remember the outcome.

I've had the same problem. What I had to do was buy Amazon balance with the card, via Account/Gift Cards/Reload Balance (or something like that.)
Thanks, I'll try to figure that out the next time I have to buy something (which I don't do very often). I wonder if I can donate it to a charity/fundraiser.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Thanks. Didn't help though. That's where I was. Both in the app and in the browser. I only see $5, $10, $25, $50, and $100 options. No custom.

Black Lives Matter

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:49 pm
Thanks. Didn't help though. That's where I was. Both in the app and in the browser. I only see $5, $10, $25, $50, and $100 options. No custom.
Ditto. But I haven't bought a new game in years anyway.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apparently it's an Augmented Steam plugin addition
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Good Old Games allows you to enter an amount but theres a $5 minimum.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 am Apparently it's an Augmented Steam plugin addition

There must be because when I bought content for cardhunters it took me to link where I could select how much money I wanted to add to my wallet before steam paid for that content.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 am Apparently it's an Augmented Steam plugin addition
Ah. Danke. I'll look into that.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone up for zero carb beer? It took 10 years for them to figure it out but Bud Light Next is the answer. I think Ill pass.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/27/business ... index.html

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tiny houses have changed over the years and now seem a little bigger and are pretty cool. Granny pods :)

I Never Thought I Wanted To Live In A Granny Pod Until I Saw These Photos
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What's up with gmail? Have not been able to log in for a day.

Edit: Looks like it is. A search resulted in a full page of the same question.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:20 pm What's up with gmail? Have not been able to log in for a day.

Mines working fine.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to get a bit more serious about losing weight, bought a stepper off Amazon, specifically says "rated for 330 lb" (I'm quite a bit under that... last I checked) Unfortunately, the box looks pretty beaten up, and opening it confirmed my suspicions... One of the steps is cracked and broken off in a large chunk, and the retaining bolt under the step had came loose completely (I thought these are plastic lined nuts, that shouldn't come loose?) I am NOT taking a chance on this item. Unfortunately, it's Saturday, and my closest UPS Store is closed for returns. I'll have to return it Monday. My replacement item may be here by then.

Amazon is changing their return policy again. They used to make us print the label at home, but it seems they'll make the UPS Store print it instead. We're still expected to sanitize the box of any extra shipping labels and seal the box though.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:55 pm Anyone up for zero carb beer? It took 10 years for them to figure it out but Bud Light Next is the answer. I think Ill pass.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/27/business ... index.html

Enlarge Image
Back when I first starting trying to eat low carb, I needed to find a low-carb beer. I chose whisky. It's low carb as long as it's unflavored, although I've read that it does interfere with weight loss a little because it gets metabolized before your fat.
Conform or be cast out!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:20 pm What's up with gmail? Have not been able to log in for a day.

I can no longer access gmail.com with Firefox. It works fine with Chrome. Bastages!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:32 am

I can no longer access gmail.com with Firefox. It works fine with Chrome. Bastages!
firefox and google properties have been a problem with me for a while. I can open the fine in other chromium based browsers and I can open them fine if I do "private browsing" in FF but FF sometimes works and sometimes doesn't for FF. I think it has to do with filtering by my fortinet but I gave up.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, I thought maybe it was Duck Duck Go that was the problem, so I opened Google with Firefox, but gmail was still no go. I can't help but think it's intentional.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, Gmail is working fine in Firefox for me. Could it be an addon that got an update and is causing issues? Try opening the menu, hitting 'help' and 'Troubleshoot Mode'. If you can get in to gmail, it's an addon or custom setting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

More strangeness. I got to the login with Firefox, and put it my (new) password. It wanted to confirm my recovery email (I'm not giving them my effing phone number) and then it froze. I don't think Firefox is the problem.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We put out seeds for the birds in the winter. It's odd that they don't seem to be as hungry in the warmer weather.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:37 pm We put out seeds for the birds in the winter. It's odd that they don't seem to be as hungry in the warmer weather.
Easier and more plentiful foraging in the warm times. I also keep seeds out when i can afford them in the winter. I also toss them my old bread and food scraps. Food banks gave me bags of nuts and fruit which were right on the date and i cant chew anyways so today Im using that in the feeder. Birds and chipmunks love that.