Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Random randomness

Post by Max Peck »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08 am Sorry, that seems like a dystopian hellscape to me.
That seems like a given. Even if everything works as intended, it's still being run by Mohammed bin Salman.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have discovered avocado hot sauce and it is great with cheese. Now to find other things its good with.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08 am Sorry, that seems like a dystopian hellscape to me.
This line from the Wikipedia entry should help:
Artificial intelligence will monitor the city and use predictive and data models to figure out ways to improve daily life for citizens in The Line.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moved our eldest into his freshman college dorm today.

I'm not crying you're crying.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:25 pm Moved our eldest into his freshman college dorm today.

I'm not crying you're crying.
When you've moved your youngest out of the house you'll probably run around the house naked and drunk for awhile :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

Two of our best friends live in Albany NY, just a couple of blocks from the state capitol. They just posted pics of how all of the street lights and signs on their block have been removed in the the service of filming an urban outdoor scene for THE GILDED AGE.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08 pm I have discovered avocado hot sauce and it is great with cheese. Now to find other things its good with.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am From some of the stuff you folks eat Id think you were pregnant.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, let's talk about lobsters.

I recently returned from a week-long Cape Cod family reunion where at one point everyone (or at least everyone who'd signed up beforehand) was given their own recently steamed-to-death lobster. Such lobsters were almost a foot long, not counting feet and antennae and claws.

When dinner time rolled around, the nature of the game was that you peeled the shell/skin apart and consumed the tasty lobster meat. Dunking it in melted butter made it better, but it was also important to notice the green organ material (which some people find very flavorful) and the red roe material (ditto). Some of my relatives loved the green and red parts, while others found it unpalatable.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:43 pm I recently returned from a week-long Cape Cod family reunion
Where on Cape Cod? I used to live in Falmouth and my father worked at Woods Hole.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:48 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:43 pm I recently returned from a week-long Cape Cod family reunion
Where on Cape Cod? I used to live in Falmouth and my father worked at Woods Hole.
Our vacation was mostly out on Chatham, MA, way out at the SE end of the Cape.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like lobster when it's been removed from the shell. The act of tearing it apart and avoiding the nasty parts doesn't appeal. The tail is best, then claw meat, and then the little legs. I basically avoid the abdomen. Perhaps needless to say, I never order a whole lobster, but I'm game to go if somebody gives me one.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The tomalley can sometimes be dangerous to consume.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/lifes ... een-stuff/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When ordering lobster, I like to have them prepare it in front of me. But first, I like them to mentally torment the lobster in addition to the physical torture it's about to endure. I'll have the chef ridicule the size of its claws, or point out that it has no opposable thumbs. Then I'll have them tie it to a tiny chair as I slap it around a bit before it's boiled alive.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I saw this car being driven around the parking lot of a Jewel Osco near me yesterday by some guy who appeared to be in his thirties.

Question to those who have children: would you let your kid leave the house if this guy pulled up to your driveway for a date?
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:47 pm When ordering lobster, I like to have them prepare it in front of me. But first, I like them to mentally torment the lobster in addition to the physical torture it's about to endure. I'll have the chef ridicule the size of its claws, or point out that it has no opposable thumbs. Then I'll have them tie it to a tiny chair as I slap it around a bit before it's boiled alive.
I only had to look at your location information to figure out why you would treat a lobster that way. Al Capone probably had the evening's lobsters lined up and killed them with a Tommy gun :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have, in the past, made the lobster an offer it could not refuse.

...literally, because it has no friggin' clue what I'm saying. It's a goddamn lobster, for christ's sake.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:51 pm I saw this car being driven around the parking lot of a Jewel Osco near me yesterday by some guy who appeared to be in his thirties.

Question to those who have daughters: would you let your kid leave the house if this guy pulled up to your driveway for a date?
Absolutely not! I would invite the guy in for some two player RPG action.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id yell out the window NERD!!!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At everyone you drive by?
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Random randomness

Post by Zarathud »

I would know my daughters and the dude shared an interest in anime, rather than just a physical connection.

And if the guy is 30, I’d call the police because my kids are teens. If my kids were 30, I update my estate plan to make sure anime-boy gets no money.

And that photo is not anywhere near the Jewel. It’s by the Target.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm I would know my daughters and the dude shared an interest in anime, rather than just a physical connection.

And if the guy is 30, I’d call the police because my kids are teens. If my kids were 30, I update my estate plan to make sure anime-boy gets no money.

And that photo is not anywhere near the Jewel. It’s by the Target.
I didn't take the photo. I found out that the guy who drives the car has an Instagram account. So I snagged it from there. But it's the same car.

I guess I still find myself resorting to old man viewpoints when I see the way girls from some of the anime are depicted. It just feels creepy to me, especially when I realize that the number one buyers of such things are middle aged men in some places.

Of course, I also play Middara the dungeon crawler and love it because it's just a great game. However, I've complained about the theme on more than one occasion.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Welp I wasn't able to change the PayPal account to my name and be mine only but they said I could let it sit and create my own with a new email.

So Ive created my own PayPal account and made me a Venmo account as well. I dont think Ill have to change anything on Ebay as though the name is my wife's middle name to them it would appear as a random user name so I think Im good there.

I shall start selling stuff next week. This entire lat month has drained me and I need a rest. Ill start fresh and anew next week.

EDIT: Ive also installed PP and VM on my phone so thats new to me. Adventure awaits!!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Went out back and mowed most of the back yard. The riding mower is really hard to control thanks to my body falling apart and the mower's too. I couldn't finish it today so when I got off I fell down and couldn't get up. I guess I need that beeper thing from the commercials. Took a long time to get the strength to crawl back to the lawn mower to get up.
Gabapentin really does a number on you balance.
Also need to think about getting someone to mow the lawn for me
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man, be careful. I’m sure there are kids in your neighborhood who’d love a chance to make some summer cash.
Covfefe!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

That sounds pretty upsetting and scary, DBT
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I can't believe the goats are falling down on the job. Are they fainting goats perhaps?

I hope you feel better man.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's the second time that's happened when I was in the back yard. Went to the Lifeline site which gives zero information. You have to contact them and have a leaflet sent.
I think anytime I go out back I'll take my cellphone with me. It's a cheap one for emergencies only and I think all lifeline does is call 911 anyways.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:46 am The tomalley can sometimes be dangerous to consume.

Everyone else was talking about how much they love the tomalley. (I kept silent about wondering why it was called "tamale" when it clearly wasn't Mexican.)

What freaked me out was how (my lobster was female) the red roe was more or less *everywhere*. What kind of creature stores its eggs in its abdomen but also in its thorax and its head??

Very HR Giger.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another headline I hate: Something, Something Changes Everything!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:54 pm That sounds pretty upsetting and scary, DBT
This! :shock:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You might also consider a Survival Flight membership, as you've mentioned that the weather will sometimes shut down the roads.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:09 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:46 am The tomalley can sometimes be dangerous to consume.

Everyone else was talking about how much they love the tomalley. (I kept silent about wondering why it was called "tamale" when it clearly wasn't Mexican.)

What freaked me out was how (my lobster was female) the red roe was more or less *everywhere*. What kind of creature stores its eggs in its abdomen but also in its thorax and its head??

Very HR Giger.
ehhh... not quite:

https://science.jrank.org/pages/3982/Lo ... ction.html
https://umaine.edu/lobsterinstitute/edu ... roduction/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:25 pm CNN
James "Whitey" Bulger, the notorious and much-feared former Boston mob boss, was killed Tuesday morning at the US Penitentiary Hazelton in Bruceton Mills, West Virginia, officials told CNN.

"He lived violently and he apparently died violently," Dick Lehr, author of "Whitey: The Life of America's Most Notorious Mob Boss," told CNN.
NBC News
Fotios Geas, 55; Paul J. DeCologero, 48; and Sean McKinnon, 36, were charged Wednesday with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for Northern West Virginia said in a statement.
Authorities have described Geas — who is serving a life sentence for murder — as the central suspect in Bulger’s slaying. According to federal prosecutors, he was an enforcer for the New England mafia in the 1990s and the 2000s, making him a rival of Bulger, who was the leader of Boston’s Irish mob and a secret FBI informant.

McKinnon was Geas’ cellmate at Hazelton, where he was serving an eight-year term for stealing guns from a Vermont firearms store.
McKinnon, who was released from Hazelton in February and had lived at a halfway house until he moved in with his mother in July, said last year that he is innocent.
DeCologero was serving a 25-year sentence for racketeering and witness tampering when he was charged.
Law and Crime (January)
A federal judge in West Virginia has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the estate of the Whitey Bulger claiming the government “deliberately” sent the infamous Boston-area gangster and crime boss to his 2018 death by transferring him to a prison with inmates from New England.
In a 36-page ruling last week, U.S. District Judge John P. Bailey reasoned that the estate could not sue the U.S. Bureau of Prisons or several of the high-ranking officials named as defendants in the suit because the court lacked jurisdiction to hear a case over discretionary decisions concerning prisoner housing.
Judge Bailey said that simply believing a prisoner will be in some danger does not provide grounds to sue the government.
"Decisions about how to safeguard prisoners are generally discretionary,” Bailey wrote, again emphasizing that “suits against the Government stemming from prisoner-on-prisoner violence are barred by the discretionary function exception.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DeOrio v. United States, 2021 WL 3856207, at*2 (D.S.C. Aug. 30, 2021) (explaining that the discretionary function exception applies even if the government was negligent or the employee abused his/her discretion). See also Hager v. United States, 2020 WL 2544421 (S.D. W.Va. May 19, 2020) (Chambers, J.).
:doh:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I was working on desktop HDDs in 2005! I’m innocent
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah
Bass, bass, bass, bass
With music by our side
To break the color lines
Let's work together
To improve our way of life
Join voices in protest
To social injustice
A generation full of courage
Come forth with me
People of the world today
Are we looking for a better way of life
We are a part of the rhythm nation
People of the world unite
Strength in numbers we can

<OO Offline for maintenance>
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Today my knee's a hurting from yesterday and so I using my wife's power chair to get around the house. I can sure understand why she ran into so many doorways and walls while she was getting used to it. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are you still trying to get an appointment with the VA?
Covfefe!