Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

Not really. I am however sending "e-mails" to my doctor about everything. Just sent one off this morning.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:36 am Not really. I am however sending "e-mails" to my doctor about everything. Just sent one off this morning.
I feel like vets would be better served by some ‘vet insurance card’ that every doctor would be obligated to honor. Dealing through the VA seems like a joke. Of course the entire health care system in America is totally screwed up right now, so it still wouldn’t be a magic bullet.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:40 am Dealing through the VA seems like a joke.
my uncle had two different cancers simultaneously... that the VA failed to detect (until it was waaaay too late)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Even tho I can't really afford it I renewed my blood pressure medications. We'll see if that helps.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:57 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:09 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:46 am The tomalley can sometimes be dangerous to consume.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/lifes ... een-stuff/
Everyone else was talking about how much they love the tomalley. (I kept silent about wondering why it was called "tamale" when it clearly wasn't Mexican.)

What freaked me out was how (my lobster was female) the red roe was more or less *everywhere*. What kind of creature stores its eggs in its abdomen but also in its thorax and its head??

Very HR Giger.
ehhh... not quite:

https://science.jrank.org/pages/3982/Lo ... ction.html
https://umaine.edu/lobsterinstitute/edu ... roduction/
OMG then what was I *eating*??
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If it was tiny little pink caviar like eggs. It was indeed the roe.

If it was in more than just the tail, then I believe it just got spread around while cooking.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:26 pm If it was tiny little pink caviar like eggs. It was indeed the roe.

If it was in more than just the tail, then I believe it just got spread around while cooking.
Must have been that. I did seem like it was everywhere.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Roe roe roe your boat..........
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Arni around 1974

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:33 pm Even tho I can't really afford it I renewed my blood pressure medications. We'll see if that helps.
I just refilled mine for free at Kroger. You might well be on something different but perhaps you could switch to amlodipine when you finally get through to your doctor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I take Lisinopril.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I take both plus another one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

Amlodipine
Lisinopril
Simvastatin

Plus a battery of vitamins and other supplements.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:07 pm Check https://costplusdrugs.com/medications/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brian wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:57 pm Simvastatin
Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:13 am Arni around 1974

Enlarge Image
The steroid years...
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just rode the Cyclone at Coney Island for the first time in years. Boy, is that a great roller coaster.

But most importantly, I got my 12-year-old to ride it with me. He found it very stressful but also loved it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That avocado hot sauce I got would make a great spicy salad dressing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm I would know my daughters and the dude shared an interest in anime, rather than just a physical connection.

And if the guy is 30, I’d call the police because my kids are teens. If my kids were 30, I update my estate plan to make sure anime-boy gets no money.

And that photo is not anywhere near the Jewel. It’s by the Target.
Didn't you and I randomly run into each other at that Micro Center years ago?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's your car?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

ImLawBoy wrote:Didn't you and I randomly run into each other at that Micro Center years ago?
I think so. I used to live just up the street and shopped in that stretch all the time. I’ll be back tomorrow buying a different CPU fan for my daughter’s new computer, but Skokie is easier to get to now I’m in Albany Park.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:33 am That's your car?
:lol:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Again Im reminded how old I am as a video I was watching mentioned this tank was introduced over 50 years ago...and my mind says 1950's! ....in 1971...WTF that cant be...oh hell it is. It doesn't seem long ago that the 1971 to teenage me was 13 14 or 15 years back. The 1950's were just 23 years back to me in 1982. Thats the 80s I am set in there. The Vietnam War vets were in their 30s. I still think its the 80s and 90s with my thinking and dates and the past.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes, we know... it's pretty self-evident.
:coffee:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jalopnik
The U.S. Department of Labor is accusing a Hyundai parts supplier of violating federal child labor laws at a factory in Alabama, according to Reuters, the second such recent accusation.

The outlet reports the DOL said SL Alabama LLC employed underage workers at its Alexander City, Alabama factory.
When the news broke about a different factory in July, Hyundai gave this statement to Jalopnik, “Hyundai does not tolerate illegal employment practices in any Hyundai entity. We have policies and procedures in place that require compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.”

The newest one is from a factory that isn’t actually owned by Hyundai, unlike the SMART factory.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ha I got my little antennae working again yesterday. Tonight I caught an ep of the new Fantasy Island and strangely enough it was the same ep I saw years ago lol. It seems a good show. I always loved the original and watched it each weekend at my dads as a kid.

Both times I caught it about 20 min into it so Im still not sure on something in the ep. I dont know the name and dont need an answer but a woman has her dead husband come back on the day of the dead and she and him are young. She is the one who actually is assistant to Roselyn Sanchez..the old Tatu roll. Anyways during the ep near the end they are both old then he goes back to wherever the dead are and she is young again. So no idea what happened.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres 2 cemeteries here that have been investigated and fine for decades. They are run down and unkept and worse. Seems the county commission has no power over them.

So Im wondering what reason does a cemetery have to actually care for their land unless they want more ummm customers? If one is full and no new buyers come to get a plot where is the money from? AFAIK they only make money on plots when sold. So why would anyone keep up an old one if no money is available. I mean it isn't like someone would buy the business with no way to make any money.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I first moved here I used to travel all the backwoods and trails on my mountain bike. I found 3-4 abandoned grave yards. Seems they all died around 1900. The graveyards that is. The graves themselves went back as far as 1845.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got up to emails from Chewy.com thanking me for my autoship order placement at 6:15am this morning then a declined cause i dont even have $8 in the bank. I actually have -72 cents until next friday. I was asleep. So changed my password, deleted that autoship thing, and contacted them. Not much else i can do. I have no idea what PW I was using there so I dont know if its used somewhere else.

I got a letter in the mail the other day telling me of a breach at my old mortgage place....one that owned it before this one. Says they got my wife's name and SS# and such. But the breach was Dec 2021 they said. Nice of them to not tell me until now. But I dont see as how it can affect me since it was my wife's. And she is no longer here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chicken wings are now cheaper than before pandemic and seem to gonna stay there. they are like $1.68 a lb. May have to finally get some to try and make at home. Never have.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Alton Brown as a pretty good (and not overly complex) method for making wings that turn out pretty good. I made them over the winter and the twins loved them.

I've got an air fryer now, though, so I need to look into some new recipes!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I got my recipe from America's Test Kitchen (I think).

Main things:
1) pat them dry as much as possible
2) sprinkle/coat them with baking powder (the baking powder helps dry out the skins to make them extra crispy)
3) sit them on a rack in the fridge for a while (I used to do overnight) to air dry - I use drying racks on cookie pans
4) cook at 425 for ~20-25 min, flip, cook for another ~20-25 min

Note: I mix up the hot sauce separately. Then we dip the wings when we eat. It keeps them nice and crispy.

We got an air fryer recently. So I've been cooking them in there. I still put the baking powder on, but I've been more lax about letting them air dry before cooking. In the air fryer I go with the chicken setting: 380 degrees for 25 min. Depending on how they look, I may keep them in for a bit longer. I also try to flip them about half way through.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How do you fry air and what's it taste like?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just switched to air frying steaks in my Ninja Foodi Grill I thought it was heresy at first, but I'm surprised at how well they turn out. I've been slowly moving to air frying for many things lately.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

TheMix wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:22 pm I got my recipe from America's Test Kitchen (I think).

Main things:
1) pat them dry as much as possible
2) sprinkle/coat them with baking powder (the baking powder helps dry out the skins to make them extra crispy)
3) sit them on a rack in the fridge for a while (I used to do overnight) to air dry - I use drying racks on cookie pans
4) cook at 425 for ~20-25 min, flip, cook for another ~20-25 min
I looked it up and the Brown method has you steam the wings for 10 minutes first, then dry them on a rack in the fridge for an hour.
hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:23 pm I just switched to air frying steaks in my Ninja Foodi Grill I thought it was heresy at first, but I'm surprised at how well they turn out. I've been slowly moving to air frying for many things lately.
I haven't done much in terms of meat in the air fryer, but it's great for vegetables - quicker and easier than heating up the oven and waiting for the cauliflower to roast. It's also surprisingly excellent at reheating leftover pizza. Naturally it's great for quickly heating up things like frozen tater tots or other apps. I didn't think I'd have much use for it when my wife got it for me, but I've found it just stays on the counter since I use it multiple times a week so it's not worth the effort of putting it away and taking it out again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Law Ill look into Altons recipe. I used to love watching his show Good Eats years ago and trying his recipes. But over time his recipes tended to be too ingredient heavy and i prefer simple stuff I can afford lol. plus I found i could make tastier items than his recipes.

Mix does your way not call of any coating or breading before cooking? Not even bbq sauce? Just plain wings?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:09 pm I haven't done much in terms of meat in the air fryer, but it's great for vegetables - quicker and easier than heating up the oven and waiting for the cauliflower to roast. It's also surprisingly excellent at reheating leftover pizza. Naturally it's great for quickly heating up things like frozen tater tots or other apps. I didn't think I'd have much use for it when my wife got it for me, but I've found it just stays on the counter since I use it multiple times a week so it's not worth the effort of putting it away and taking it out again.
If you're ever in the market for another air fryer, or just an indoor grill that does a crap ton more, do yourself a favor and check out the Ninja Foodi Grill. My god, I love mine. :wub:
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nope. I don't do anything else when I cook them. That keeps them nice and crispy.

I make some simple sauce using Franks and butter. Then dip them as I eat them. That way I get plenty of flavor but don't affect the skin. You could use whatever you want at that point. I find they have plenty of flavor and heat, and stay crispy. I don't think that cooking them already sauced up adds anything.

To be clear, I don't eat them plain.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

With how hot its been, anything that can go in the air fryer instead of the oven is basically a staple nowadays.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.