Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Random randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 pm I once peed on an electric fence.

Once.
Mythbusters covered that.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm fairly sure that Kraken is not a myth.

Fairly.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Maybe,but Curio City is.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:02 pm I was an Electrician in the Navy - 1 mA is a tingle, 10mA will possibly clamp your muscles (you'll get "hung up" on it).
When I was a kid, after a thunderstorm I went to the nearby playground and grabbed a downed electrical line (it had been connected to a streetlight). The end of the line had split in two, so I grabbed one part in each hand, thus creating a circuit through both arms and across my chest. My muscles clamped, so I couldn't let go.

I don't recall how long I yelled for help -- probably no more than 20 seconds -- but no one heard me. So I used my shoe to step on the line and pry it out of my hands. I went home, failed to hide my shaking hands and voice from my parents, and ended up going to hospital. But I was fine. Any brain cells that got fried were probably weighing me down anyway.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm I'm fairly sure that Kraken is not a myth.

Fairly.
That's the beauty of mythbusters. If they find that Kraken is not a myth, they'll show it with explosions.

And this discussion just created for me a new pet peeve. A myth is something that isn't true. Busting a myth should equate to proving it's true. A myth by it's very nature is known to be false/impossible/embellishment/supernatural.

Annoying.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Mom had an ungrounded refrigerator in the basement. She confessed to sending us kids to get something from it first every time they defrosted it. I remember getting shocked a few times when grabbing the handle.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm
Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm I'm fairly sure that Kraken is not a myth.

Fairly.
That's the beauty of mythbusters. If they find that Kraken is not a myth, they'll show it with explosions.

And this discussion just created for me a new pet peeve. A myth is something that isn't true. Busting a myth should equate to proving it's true. A myth by it's very nature is known to be false/impossible/embellishment/supernatural.

Annoying.
Conventional Wisdom Busters just doesn't have the same ring to it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 pmI don't recall how long I yelled for help -- probably no more than 20 seconds -- but no one heard me. So I used my shoe to step on the line and pry it out of my hands.
:shock:

I thought I was clever at the age of 11 when I dislodged food in my windpipe while home alone by throwing myself on the back of a dining room chair (thanks BSA!). Also, are you still waiting for your super powers?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

No luck so far, sadly.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 pm
Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:02 pmHigher voltages can actually be less lethal because the current can vaporize flesh at the contact point and the steam explosion (body is mostly water) can separate you from the contact point.
Enlarge Image
Let's combine that pleasant thought with...
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 pmI once peed on an electric fence.
Myth or not... <shudder>
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm No luck so far, sadly.
That's exactly what someone with a secret identity would say.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I just learned last night that Teen Titans Go! Raven's father Trigon is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson. This is significant because the reason I learned this is because I recognized that the voice actor of Sarevok, who kills Gorion in an early cut scene of Baldur's Gate (this is as far as I've gotten. This happens at the beginning of Chapter 1. I take it he's the antagonist of the game) was the same guy, so I looked him up. Yes, I'm trying to play Baldur's Gate all the way through for the first time. I just started.

I didn't used to be able to make these connections, but I realize the more I watch animated shows, the more I appreciate a good voice actor and the more a good voice actor's performance sticks with me.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Annoying.
Annnnd my work here is done! :ninja:

Does this mean I can go home from work now? Please? :(
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not until you're finished saving the world.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Dang it. Sometimes that takes sooooo loooong! /whine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Annoying.
Annnnd my work here is done! :ninja:

Does this mean I can go home from work now? Please? :(
The pertinent definition of myth, per the OED, is "a widely held but false belief or idea" which makes "Myth Busted!" perfectly cromulent for the purpose of stating that the myth has been disproved. #pedantic
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any brain cells that got fried were probably weighing me down anyway.
You grabbed a downed power line with both hands. Are you sure other stuff wasn't fried? :)

And Sarevok..man brings back mems.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I used to live in an apartment where the fridge must not have been properly grounded or something. It was a small kitchen, with the sink just about opposite the fridge, you could easily reach both at the same time. I quickly learned never to touch the sink or the faucet at the same time as I was grabbing the fridge handle - the electric shock, I'm sure, wasn't strong enough to be harmful but it certainly wasn't pleasant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had a cable box not be grounded and would knock you good if you touched the cable coax. The tech came in and grabbed it...once. Said "Thats not supposed to be that way" ..I was "Ya think?" He ran a new line :)

Btw...seems 'glamping' is a thing. Man if I was 20 years younger and rich that would be awesome.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 135582002/

New cancer drug targets genes not organs. But 30 day supply costs $32,000.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In was at my mom's house one time and she was having her waterheater replaced. I had turned off the circuit breakers. Or at least I thought I had. Turns out it was using three phase or 220 for some reason or other.
Anyrate one of the guys grabs the wire to take them of and got knocked on his ass. He asked "I thought you said you had turned off the breakers?" I realized what had happened and said "Yes".
He went back there to checker the breakers and off course him getting zapped had blown the other breaker.
He was pretty careful the rest of the installation. I, of course, was secretly laughing my ass off. Bet he never takes any body's word for the breakers being turned off again.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All normal sized electric water heaters are 220. 110 per heating element.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, he fucked up. He trusted me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:00 pm
The pertinent definition of myth, per the OED, is "a widely held but false belief or idea" which makes "Myth Busted!" perfectly cromulent for the purpose of stating that the myth has been disproved. #pedantic
Sure. My understanding of myth has always been the first definition, but I concede the second definition exists, despite being nearly the exact opposite of the first.

After all, what I think of as myth is something that another culture in another time thought of as truth. There are just centuries between the two views of the same material. Still though, 500 years from now I don't think there will be a class on the Urban Myths of 20th century America.

Anywho, pet peeve averted.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At age 49 I just had my first nose bleed. Freaked me out. I was just standing there and felt moisture suddenly at the tip of my nostril and wiped it and it was blood. I then colored up a paper towel. Ive NEVER had my nose bleed. Not even in sport when Id get it hit. Its a weird feeling.

Its bled about 8 min...not bad now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Friend told me about a anime Ive not seen before....Space Dandy. Seems interesting.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:21 am Friend told me about a anime Ive not seen before....Space Dandy. Seems interesting.
I had high hopes, given the talent connection to Bebop. It was mostly just juvenile humor (harhar...bewbs...harhar) with the occasional lol moment. I quit about 2/3 of the way through the season and haven’t bothered finishing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My daughter tells me we're finally getting another season of Re:Zero. Personally I find most anime to be crazy, random Japanese weirdness that I don't particularly like, and Re:Zero is no different, but my daughter and I have fun imitating characters' mannerisms and phrases from all the different anime we watch together.

...I suppose.
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 am At age 49 I just had my first nose bleed. Freaked me out. I was just standing there and felt moisture suddenly at the tip of my nostril and wiped it and it was blood. I then colored up a paper towel. Ive NEVER had my nose bleed. Not even in sport when Id get it hit. Its a weird feeling.

Its bled about 8 min...not bad now.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:21 am Friend told me about a anime Ive not seen before....Space Dandy. Seems interesting.
You know those two things are connected, right?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You've all heard of Florida Man. Let me now introduce you to Florida Woman!
Citing a Broward Sheriff’s Office report, the Miami Herald reports 37-year-old Shanetta Yvette Wilson passed gas while waiting in line at a Dollar General Sunday night and upset a nearby customer. The report says the offended customer and Wilson then got into an argument “in reference to the defendant farting loudly.”
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Charged with "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill" - I'd say that's debatable, depending on what she had been eating.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Paingod wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm Charged with "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill" - I'd say that's debatable, depending on what she had been eating.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why isn't Sprite with coconut a thing? When I go to Sonic I always order that. Its great.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 pm Why isn't Sprite with coconut a thing? When I go to Sonic I always order that. Its great.
Probably just can't think past the lime.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:10 pm Probably just can't think past the lime.
Because you put it in the coconut?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Bingo to both of you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just found out how "packable" my Columbia jacket really is. Apparently, I was supposed to basically fold the jacket into its own "chest pocket", which I always thought was just for cellphones and whatnot. Turns out, turn the pocket inside out, then you can stuff the jacket into the pockets from the other side. You end up with a small bundle. Not very neat, but it works.

I've also found that Frog Togz, which I previously purchased, is not durable at all. After ONE day I already destroyed the rain pants.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rocket-powered cars, monorail and affordable apartments: New York of 2012... predicted by the city's mayor 50 years ago
As well as super-fast transport, Mayor Robert F Wagner believed era would see end to racial and social division
Predicted most people would own their homes and all residents would get free university education
Believed skyscrapers would soar ever upward with public parks in the air
This was published 2012.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've decided that from now on, I'm going to mentally imagine Kasey Chang as a 1990s superhero character as drawn by Rob Liefeld. Someone like Warchild - with hundreds of belts, pouches and pockets.
Maybe next year, maybe no go