Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

'round these parts trees grow where they's seeds lands. If it ain't pretty or they's in a bad spot, you mow' em afore they gets big.

Leaves ain't no big deal neither. You just gather 'em by the alley, pour on some gas, and burn' em. Or else ya don't. Them there'ns will blow away eventually.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We used to have a nice walnut tree until my wife's son's incompetence killed it. We still have a nice forest tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

I almost never rake leaves. During most of the season when they fall, I'm still cutting the grass, so the lawnmower chops them into cheap mulch for the lawn. (This is also why I don't bag my grass clippings. Throwing them all over the place as you mow is good for the soil.)

Very late in the Fall, after I've quit cutting the grass, we'll eventually rake leaves and throw them into one of the composting piles.

The upshot is that the lawn takes care of itself. I've never used chemicals or fertilizers of any kind, and everything has always been all well.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My gadget is on the move. Hoping to have it by xmas.
2022-10-02 02:07:40UTC
The shipment is being inspected at the customs of Finland

2022-09-29 01:32:10UTC
The shipment arrived at the customs of Finland

2022-09-26 01:54:51UTC
Espoo,02230,Finland,The shipment is in transit in Finland

2022-09-24 01:40:01UTC
The shipment has left the sorting center

2022-09-22 01:38:41UTC
Porvoo,06100,Finland,The shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive kept a lotion bottle in cold weather for dry feeling hands for years now. This last bottle is testing me. Its 1/4th full but has stopped dispensing correctly. I swear I feel like Im jacking the thing off as I have to quickly pump it multiple times before it squirts the lotion into my hands. I feel it smiling afterwards. If I smell cig smoke its gone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It puts the lotion in my hands, or else it gets the pump again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I miss high school pizza. Anyone else? those soft rectangle little pizzas. They had a certain taste to them and Ive always missed them. I loved them. Id always get an extra one whe ni could.

Is there any store bought pizza thats near that type? Or a way to buy school pizza? I know they are cheap crap but i loved them. Same with our high schools cheeseburgers.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't think there were a half dozen times my entire childhood where I had a school lunch. I always brought my own. We couldn't afford the 35 cents. Always gave my apple or carrots to a horse along the way to school.
And this was while walking uphill both ways in the snow in southern California!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 pm I miss high school pizza. Anyone else? those soft rectangle little pizzas. They had a certain taste to them and Ive always missed them. I loved them. Id always get an extra one whe ni could.

Is there any store bought pizza thats near that type? Or a way to buy school pizza? I know they are cheap crap but i loved them. Same with our high schools cheeseburgers.
https://ellios.com/
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Totino's is pretty close. Unfortunately food spike prices took them from a buck apiece to two bucks apiece. For how bad they are for your two bucks a pop a pretty expensive when you consider the alternatives for what two bucks can get you and the shrinking distance between two bucks for a bad for you snack meal and three bucks for a not so bad for you meal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I never once ate lunch at my high school. I used my lunch money for comic books and model rockets.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Brown bags all the way until HS. In HS it was too much to carry. So I just didn't eat lunch.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I ate lunch at school during elementary. None of it was anything I'd care to 'miss.' The only highlight was a few months when genuine Puddin' Pops were added to the trays once a week. From junior high on I simply didn't bother with eating.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:36 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 pm I miss high school pizza. Anyone else? those soft rectangle little pizzas. They had a certain taste to them and Ive always missed them. I loved them. Id always get an extra one whe ni could.

That sure looks like it. I dont see a 'where to buy' link anywhere on that site and Ive never heard of that brand before. Says its not sold much in the US cept north east since beging sold in 2014. But I also see Publix may have it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

You can make your own school lunch cafeteria pizza.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:43 pm You can make your own school lunch cafeteria pizza.
Thanks! I bookmarked that site. She says she attended school in east TN same as me. Must be the same pizza she had in school as me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:50 pm
Brian wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:43 pm You can make your own school lunch cafeteria pizza.
Thanks! I bookmarked that site. She says she attended school in east TN same as me. Must be the same pizza she had in school as me.
As somebody who attended school and ate the pizza in the cafeteria in central Indiana, western Indiana, western Nevada, and central California, yeah - it was the same pizza. It was all the same pizza.

And the same hamb (choke) hamb (grgl) burgers (BLORCH)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 pm
As somebody who attended school and ate the pizza in the cafeteria in central Indiana, western Indiana, western Nevada, and central California, yeah - it was the same pizza. It was all the same pizza.

I loved our school hamburgers.
There was a place, not sure if it was regional or not, called........Cock Robin, That's right.......
It was a burger and ice cream joint. There were a few of them around town.
Their plain burgers were exactly like the school ones and I could literally eat 5 of them at a time.
They werent huge, but much bigger than White Castles.
Damn I miss that place.

What's even weirder than the name is that one of the locations still has the sign up many, many years after they closed.

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There was only 2 items I really loved in school food..the pizza and the cheeseburgers. Both delish. The pizza I could eat 5 or 6 of probably but it was a very rare day i could afford an extra one . I was on free lunch so was trapped with what I could be shoveled. Also almost always got jungle juice as it was about the only good thing to drink but mainly because it came in a larger size than the milks. So actually had enough to drink.

As for neat little food places our area was littered with Zestos. All the ones around here disappeared by the 90s so no more great hotdogs. But Atlanta still has about 4 or 5 of them. Ate at one there in like 1988.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:22 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:36 am

That sure looks like it. I dont see a 'where to buy' link anywhere on that site and Ive never heard of that brand before. Says its not sold much in the US cept north east since beging sold in 2014. But I also see Publix may have it.
I had never heard of them either and then I saw them while grocery shopping today. I box of 32 slices ran about $13 at BJs. It was like 72 oz of food stuff.

I have vague memory of our hamburgers being made of soy rather than meat. Very vague.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I ate school lunch. I wasn't good or anything but if was food and I saw no reason to pass it up. By HS I picked up chocolate milk every day and gave it away for someone's fruit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, as you said. Totino’s Pizza is also extremely close.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm As for neat little food places our area was littered with Zestos. All the ones around here disappeared by the 90s so no more great hotdogs. But Atlanta still has about 4 or 5 of them. Ate at one there in like 1988.
One thing I really miss about being here is hot dog restaurants. There are approximately zero, while there are dozens of options for burgers. I haven't had a decent hot dog in decades.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

in Minnesota we also got the hexagonal (octagonal?) "Mexican" pizzas with shredded iceberg lettuce and diced tomato on top. don't know if those were widespread?
Holman

Post by Holman »

I remember school lunches as being alternately warm (square damp pizza and tater tots) or cold (PB&J and chocolate pudding). They never seemed to mix warm and cold. I assume this was a budgetary choice.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:15 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm As for neat little food places our area was littered with Zestos. All the ones around here disappeared by the 90s so no more great hotdogs. But Atlanta still has about 4 or 5 of them. Ate at one there in like 1988.
One thing I really miss about being here is hot dog restaurants. There are approximately zero, while there are dozens of options for burgers. I haven't had a decent hot dog in decades.
We used to have a place called Frank & Stein . It served hotdogs and beer in malls .Was really cool. I was barely old enough to buy from them when they went out of business. Had good food though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 pm

Now with extra gristle!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:12 pm
We used to have a place called Frank & Stein . It served hotdogs and beer in malls .Was really cool. I was barely old enough to buy from them when they went out of business. Had good food though.
Enlarge Image

I guess they still exist in places that aren't anywhere near here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those used to be here in town. I think. Supposedly had great rootbeer.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I remember the local A&W on the other end of the subdivision. My mom knew the owners and their daughter would always wait my mom, her friend and a gaggle of kids. The adults would catch up on the local gossip. Us kids loved getting our root beer in a tiny mug/shot glasses with a hot dog and fries. We thought we were living large.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:50 pm Those used to be here in town. I think. Supposedly had great rootbeer.
I've posted this before. My band had a song called Dog'n'Suds. (I'm the squirrelly guy in the white hat.)

Let's see if I can still remember the lyrics.
Spoiler:
Hey well I used to be God
Now I sell hot dogs
On the corner square
I love to sell them there

Hey well I used to be mod
Now I eat hot dogs
On the corner square
I love to eat them there

Used to be a fraud
Used to applaud
Used to shine my shoes
Used to sing the blues
Used to know the truth
Used to be phone booth

Now I'm not
Now I'm hot

Now I sell hot dogs
Now I eat em, too
Now I live for fog
Like to eat that too

Used to live on dogs
Used to cry at night
Peanut butter logs
Used to take a bite
Used to sing the blues
Never heard no news
Used to comb my hair
Never had no flair

Was a robot man
Not a robot dog
Had a robot hand
Peanut butter butter log
Had a robot snail
No more ginger ale

No more hot
No more not
eh, I lost my place and ran out of patience. You can decipher the rest of the words if you care, but they won't make any more sense. The kids danced to the point of collapse to this in 1979. :lol:

(edit) Wait, this isn't the nostalgia thread? These are the days I get nostalgic for.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I liked the music part of it. :)
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

When we lived in Phoenix/Mesa there was a place near where I worked called Higley's Hot Dogs.
They were cash only with an outside walk up order window (if you wanted to eat indoors you had to walk around to the other side of the building and enter there.)

Vienna Beef hot dogs and Italian or Polish Sausages served various different ways. My favorite was the Polish served with hot peppers and onions.

In addition to fries, they also served Gravy Bread which was, essentially, a plain hoagie roll and a cup of au jus. You'd just tear off chunks of bread to dip in the au jus. Good stuff.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Living in Chicago, I can practically lean out my living room window and scream "DOG ME" and someone will throw a Vienna beef dog my direction.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pre COVID, we had a Coney (chili dog based diner) on every major intersection. Definitely more than any other single fast food joint and probably half as many as we do pizza pickup/delivery places. I'm not sure about that any more. I don't know how many survived COVID and I don't get out enough to pay attention to what has lived and what died. I do see that the big players from the before times are constantly packed when I drive by them. There are typically one to three big players per municipality (usually about six square miles).

Of the hotdog world, I don't like ballpark style franks, blech. Costco's Kirkland dog is OK and since they got rid of the Italian and Polish dogs, I get one when I go there because $1.50 for a dog and a pop. BJs tries to compete. Their dogs are terrible and not worth $1.50 for a dog and pop. A&W are only acceptable because their Rootbeer from the store is way better than from a can but they get vetoed because of the price. But a coney dog at any respectable joint is a treat to be enjoyed. Koegel's or even Dearborn hot dogs are in a league of their own and when smothered with a coney sauce (chili) on a properly steamed bun... :wub: and then you get a side of chili cheese fries... :wub: :wub: :wub: and your 50 year old's diet is shot for the month.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In California we had a place called Richie's Good Dogs. I have no idea if they're still around. In Reno we had several hot dog places. The only one whose name I can remember was Sinbad's. But now I live in a hot dog wasteland, remembering the days when hot dogs weren't the lowest form of meat.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They're no potted meat food product.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With cheese product?

Mmm... product.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My gadget is coming to America! Probably via Slow Boat.
2022-10-05 01:39:54UTC
The shipment has been shipped to United States

2022-10-02 02:07:40UTC
The shipment is being inspected at the customs of Finland

2022-09-29 01:32:10UTC
The shipment arrived at the customs of Finland

2022-09-26 01:54:51UTC
Espoo,02230,Finland,The shipment is in transit in Finland

2022-09-24 01:40:01UTC
The shipment has left the sorting center

2022-09-22 01:38:41UTC
Porvoo,06100,Finland,The shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin