Sunspot activity in freefall

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Sunspot activity in freefall

Post by Isgrimnur »

Science Daily
The sunspot cycle is behaving a little like the stock market. Just when you think it has hit bottom, it goes even lower.

The year 2008 was a bear. There were no sunspots observed on 266 of the year's 366 days (73 percent). To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go all the way back to 1913, which had 311 spotless days. Prompted by these numbers, some observers suggested that the solar cycle had hit bottom in 2008. Maybe not. Sunspot counts for 2009 have dropped even lower. As of March 31st, there were no sunspots on 78 of the year's 90 days (87 percent).

It adds up to one inescapable conclusion: "We're experiencing a very deep solar minimum," says solar physicist Dean Pesnell of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "This is the quietest sun we've seen in almost a century," agrees forecaster David Hathaway of NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.
Measurements by the Ulysses spacecraft reveal a 20 percent drop in solar wind pressure since the mid-1990s—the lowest point since such measurements began in the 1960s. The solar wind helps keep galactic cosmic rays out of the inner solar system. With the solar wind flagging, more cosmic rays penetrate the solar system, resulting in increased health hazards for astronauts. Weaker solar wind also means fewer geomagnetic storms and auroras on Earth.

Careful measurements by several NASA spacecraft have also shown that the sun's brightness has dimmed by 0.02 percent at visible wavelengths and a whopping 6 percent at extreme UV wavelengths since the solar minimum of 1996. These changes are not enough to reverse global warming, but there are some other, noticeable side-effects.

Earth's upper atmosphere is heated less by the sun and it is therefore less "puffed up." Satellites in Earth orbit experience less atmospheric drag, extending their operational lifetimes. That’s the good news. Unfortunately, space junk also remains in orbit longer, posing an increased threat to useful satellites.

Finally, radio telescopes are recording the dimmest "radio sun" since 1955. After World War II, astronomers began keeping records of the sun's brightness at radio wavelengths, particularly 10.7 cm. Some researchers believe that the lessening of radio emissions during this solar minimum is an indication of weakness in the sun's global magnetic field. No one is certain, however, because the source of these long-monitored radio emissions is not fully understood.

All these lows have sparked a debate about whether the ongoing minimum is extreme or just an overdue market correction following a string of unusually intense solar maxima.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Re: Sunspot activity in freefall

Post by LordMortis »

That'll learn ya' for using CFC aresol deoderants. You done gone and broke the sun. I don't even think Al Gore can fix a broken sun. Maybe Bruce Willis can still make it better. But if I have to listen to another 1990's styled Aerosmith ballad to make it happen, then I say let us burn (or freeze).
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

i'm kinda surprised that this hasn't been picked up by the crowd that claims global warming is a hoax. They spout global cooling and talk about the sun being the big source of what global warming there was but i haven't heard mention of this yet. not trying to say who you should believe, that would be for R&P, but i am surprised to have not heard about this yet.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

LordMortis wrote:I don't even think Al Gore can fix a broken sun.
How can you mend a broken sun?
How can you stop the debris from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shin... ah shit
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So, uh, is this bad?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is meaningless until I see a more thorough correlation with US economic cycles. Suppose sunspots drive the economy?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Hollywood teachers us that the only way to handle this is to send a crew of B-list actors in a secret spaceship to RESTART TEH SUN, possibly with an atom bomb, or maybe a really big space heater.
Popehat, a blog.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Mr. Fed wrote:Hollywood teachers us that the only way to handle this is to send a crew of B-list actors in a secret spaceship to RESTART TEH SUN, possibly with an atom bomb, or maybe a really big space heater.
Can we talk about who should crew that spaceship?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

The Meal wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:Hollywood teachers us that the only way to handle this is to send a crew of B-list actors in a secret spaceship to RESTART TEH SUN, possibly with an atom bomb, or maybe a really big space heater.
That depends upon whether or not everyone on it dies in the end.

If so, Jenny McCarthy (though D-list at best) is currently top of my list.
Popehat, a blog.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Maybe if we take all of our death row inmates and fly them into the sun it will upset it enough to give us back our sun spots.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:So, uh, is this bad?

It depends I suppose. If we are at the bottom of a solar minimum, then global warming will only increase. If, however, we are beginning a the correction after being atop particularly high maxima it could start to get much colder.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Somewhere, Bill Paxton knows he's about to die onscreen again.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
El Guapo wrote:So, uh, is this bad?

It depends I suppose. If we are at the bottom of a solar minimum, then global warming will only increase. If, however, we are beginning a the correction after being atop particularly high maxima it could start to get much colder.
I always get confused. If we are coming out of an ice age, does that mean that Ice Age is the norm or freak cold streak that happens every once in a while. Either way, what does that mean for global warming?

And with what I assume is lower solar magnetic stuffs, is that why my radio has absolutely been kicking ass with reception lately?

And our 11 year solar inspired magnetic weather cycle is totally fubarred would that mean maybe we're due to the great pole flip? Can't we read the history of all of these great earth switches in axis and poles from Mariana trench?

And speaking of sun spots, it's good to be a geek. I am fair completed and my grand mother hed melonoma twice. The second time she refused treatment.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr. Fed wrote:
The Meal wrote:

Is there nudity in this movie? I think there should be as it will be waaaaay to hot for clothes near the sun.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

http://www.ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles ... 9412587175" target="_blank

A very good article on sun activity and how it correlates to our climate.
A Hoover Institution Study a few years back examined historical data and came to a similar conclusion.

"The effects of solar activity and volcanoes are impossible to miss. Temperatures fluctuated exactly as expected, and the pattern was so clear that, statistically, the odds of the correlation existing by chance were one in 100," according to Hoover fellow Bruce Berkowitz.

The study says that "try as we might, we simply could not find any relationship between industrial activity, energy consumption and changes in global temperatures."

The study concludes that if you shut down all the world's power plants and factories, "there would not be much effect on temperatures."

But if the sun shuts down, we've got a problem. It is the sun, not the Earth, that's hanging in the balance.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

http://www.baen.com/library/067172052X/067172052X.htm" target="_blank
From Fallen Angels Chapter 7
"Tell me, my young friend," Lutenist said. "What lights up the sun?"

"Is trick? Fusion. Hydrogen to helium."

"And when the fusion ends, what then?" Lutenist asked.

"Uh-—but how can fusion end? There is plenty of hydrogen."

"But it did end," Lutenist said. "And no one noticed." Bob Needleton stuck his head in between Alex and Gordon. "Where have all the neutrinos gone? Long time passing . . ." He gave Sherrine a quick kiss on the neck.

"Hi, Pins," Alex said. "Welcome back."

"I didn't want to miss Greg's spiel." Bob cupped his hands around his mouth. "There'll be a neutrino scavenger hunt tonight after the program," he announced. "Bring your snipe bags and your Chlorine-37 tanks." The audience responded with boos and catcalls. Lutenist waved to him and Bob waved back. "Hi, Greg. Still thumping the same old drum, I see."

"Excuse me," Gordon said, "but what means spiel about neutrinos?"

Bob pulled a chair up and set it beside Sherrine between the two wheelchairs. He straddled it backwards. "It's simple really."

Alex braced himself. When a physicist says, "it's simple," it usually meant it was time to duck.

"You see, when two protons fuse into a deuterium nucleus they yield a neutrino. There are two ways that can happen, but. . . Well, the details don't matter. Sometimes the deuterium hip-hops through beryllium into lithium and spits out another neutrino, and there are a couple of other reactions that also produce neutrinos; but that's about the gist of it. Fusion spits neutrinos. Get it?"

Gordon looked puzzled. "I get. So?"

Bob held his hands out palms up. "The problem is we never found the neutrinos. A Chlorine-37 detector should register a neutrino flux of eight snew, but all they ever get is two snew."

Gordon's frown deepened. "What's 'snew'?"

Sherrine hid her face in her hands. Bob said, "I dunno, not much. What's snew with you?"

"Thank you for sharing that with us-—"

"Sorry, I've never been able to resist that one. Snew is SNU, Solar Neutrino Units. One snew is one neutrino event per 1036 atoms per second."

There was a commotion at the other end of the room. A dozen fans, maybe more, came in. "Is this the pro party?"

Lutenist said. "I'm not through."

A 1arge man in a bush jacket waved a salute with a bottle beer. "Go right ahead, Greg. Don't mind us."

"What's up?" Lutenist demanded.

The man shruged "Con Committee said to come here, this will be the 'Meet the Pros' party."

"Aw crap," Lutenist said. "This is my lecture!"

"What's to lecture?" Needleton demanded. "It was all simple, and known before 1980. The sun is not producing enough neutrinos. Ergo, it is not fusing. Yet, according to the technetium levels in deep molybdenum mines there were plenty of neutrinos passing through the Earth during interglacial and preglacial periods."

"Excuse me, Bob," said Gregory Lutenist, "are you leading this discussion or am I?"

Bob waved a hand. "Sorry, Greg. Go ahead." In a near-whisper, "Gordon, it's a cycle. Fusion stops, the sun cools a bit, shrinks a bit, the core gets denser and hotter, fusion starts again, the new warmth inflates the sun. See? Is that a relief, or what?"

"Maunder Minimum!" someone shouted.

Lutenist beamed. "The sun goes through sunspot cycles. Lots of sunspots, it gets warm here. Few sunspots, colder weather. An astronomer named Maunder recorded sunspots and found that the last time there weren't any the planet went through what was known as the Little Ice Age, the Maunder Minimum." He paused dramatically. "And in the 1980s it became certain that the planet was going into a new Maunder Minimum period."

"Yes, yes, we know this," Gordon said. "Sunspots are important to us. But if so important to Earth, why do they not know cold is coming?"

"Bastards did," the man in the bush jacket growled. "But they said Global Warming."

"Grants," Bob said. "There's money in climate studies. All the Ph.D. theses. All that would go if things were so simple-—"

A short blond woman, slender by local standards, came in with a large tray. She carried it up to the piano as if thinking to set it down there, looked at the clutter, turned helplessly-— "Ah. You're Gabe?"

He smiled and nodded. She said, "Laurie. Hold this while we get a table." She set the tray across the arms of his wheelchair and was gone.

It was covered with small dishes, each with a couple of slices of vegetables. Cucumber, carrot, a bit of lettuce, some cabbage. A stalk of broccoli. Alex felt his mouth begin to water. Fresh vegetables! Of course the people here would be used to them-—

Bob Needleton stopped talking about neutrinos and stared at the tray. He gave a long, low whistle. "Dibs on a carrot stick!"

Gregory Lutenist said, "Broccoli for me. Now. It is important to realize that the sun has always burned hotter or cooler during different eras of our planet's history. Greenhouse or Icehouse."

A fan spoke up. "Carrot for me, too. The dinosaurs lived during a greenhouse era, didn't they?"

A voice spoke from the doorway. "Pros get first choice. This is the Meet the Readers Party, right?"

Lutenist nodded as if there had been no interruption. "Dinosaurs, and the Great Mammals, too. In fact, prior to the Pleistocene the world was quite warm. Hippopotami wallowed in the Thames."

He paused a moment. When he continued, half a dozen voices spoke in unison with him. "Then, in the blink of a geological eye, they were replaced by polar bears."

Lutenist beamed.

Alex looked to Sherrine. "What-—"

She laughed. "Some of us have heard Gregory before."

Cucumbers, celery, carrots, luxuries beyond his wildest dreams were cradled in Alex's arms. He couldn't eat; he had to share this with the whole room; and he couldn't get his hands on any of it without dropping the tray. Little dark red spheres, little bright red spheres with white inside, were displayed on big green leaves. Where were they with that damn table?

Badges were showing on various chests. Here were tiny oil paintings of alien creatures and landscapes and starscapes, or wheel-shaped and band-shaped artificial habitats infinitely more sophisticated than Mir and Freedom. A few badges bore angular cartoon faces and elegant calligraphy: CLOSET MUNDANE. KNOWS HARLAN ELLISON (evil smirk. HAS READ MUCH OF DHALGREN (bewilderment).

Lutenist continued. "Human history is so short that, living between the hippopotamus and the polar bear, we thought those conditions were 'normal.'

"After the sun went out, the interglacial ended and the world grew colder and drier. The Saraha rivers dried up, one by one, until only the Nile was left. By 1500 BC, the Scandinavian tree line had dropped to six thousand feet, and broad-leaf trees had disappeared from the Arctic.

"The weather changed. The North African coast was the breadbasket of the Roman Empire. It began to dry up. Great migrations began, Huns, Arabs, Navajos, Mongols. There were Viking colonies on Greenland, but the Greenland Glacier began to move south, until it covered them all."

"Tell you another one," the man in the bush jacket said.

"Go ahead, Wade," Lutenist said.

Sherrine looked around. "Wade Curtis. A pro."

"Writer?" Gordon asked. She nodded.

Curtis's voice boomed even in the large room. "In the American Revolutionary War, Colonel Alexander Hamilton brought cannon captured by Ethan Allen at Ticonderoga down to assist General Washington in Haarlem Heights. He brought them across the ice on the frozen Hudson River. By the twentieth century, the Hudson didn't freeze at all, let alone hard enough to carry cannon on!"

Lutenist smiled agreement. "Right! The Little Ice Age was coming to an end! In fact, a warming trend had started around 1200, and lasted for eight centuries. Anyone know why?"

"Hey, let's eat!" someone called.

"Let him finish," Curtis growled. He drained his beer. A bearded man behind him silently handed him another.

Lutenist stabbed a hand into the air. "Why?"

Someone in the audience responded. "Because a farmer doesn't give up his land."

"That's right, Beth. Farmers! Hunters run, which is what our ancestors did during the Thirty-Fifth Ice Age. But the five hundred million settled and civilized humans of the thirteenth century were not going to pull up stakes and move elsewhere. London, Copenhagen, even Moscow were too valuable to abandon. So what did they do?" He used and stared around the audience.

Several responded in unison. "They threw another log on the fire!"

Lutenist beamed. "Exactly! They fought the cold with heat, soot and CO2. Air pollution!"

"Smudge pots," Curtis growled.

Right, Lutenist shouted. "Smudge pots! Greenhouse effect!"

"Pollution, poll-ooo-tion," someone sang.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Mr. Fed wrote:If so, Jenny McCarthy (though D-list at best) is currently top of my list.
But then who would advocate for autistic children?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Remus West wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:
The Meal wrote:

Is there nudity in this movie? I think there should be as it will be waaaaay to hot for clothes near the sun.
Not if they go at night.

Bada-boom. I'm here all week. Monday's show is different. Don't forget to tip the veal.
Jessan

Post by Jessan »

I think this would be a good time to get that pesky magnetic pole reversal out of the way.
"By placing our photon in a quantum superposition of running and not running the search algorithm, we obtained information about the answer even when the photon did not run the search algorithm." -- Some Quantum Computer Guy
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Mr. Fed wrote:
The Meal wrote:

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/J ... /Home.html" target="_blank

Of course everyone dies in the end.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

This means it's now safe to stare directly at the sun, right?
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Windows95 wrote:This means it's now safe to stare directly at the sun, right?
Stare away.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Windows95 wrote:This means it's now safe to stare directly at the sun, right?
Stare away.
Sweet! I'm heading out now. I'll post back with my observations later.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Will sunspots go away forever?

"Sunspot magnetic fields are dropping by about 50 gauss per year," says Penn. "If we extrapolate this trend into the future, sunspots could completely vanish around the year 2015."

This disappearing act is possible because sunspots are made of magnetism. The "firmament" of a sunspot is not matter but rather a strong magnetic field that appears dark because it blocks the upflow of heat from the sun's interior. If Earth lost its magnetic field, the solid planet would remain intact, but if a sunspot loses its magnetism, it ceases to exist.

"According to our measurements, sunspots seem to form only if the magnetic field is stronger than about 1500 gauss," says Livingston. "If the current trend continues, we'll hit that threshold in the near future, and solar magnetic fields would become too weak to form sunspots."
If sunspots do go away, it wouldn't be the first time. In the 17th century, the sun plunged into a 70-year period of spotlessness known as the Maunder Minimum that still baffles scientists. The sunspot drought began in 1645 and lasted until 1715; during that time, some of the best astronomers in history (e.g., Cassini) monitored the sun and failed to count more than a few dozen sunspots per year, compared to the usual thousands.

"Whether [the current downturn] is an omen of long-term sunspot decline, analogous to the Maunder Minimum, remains to be seen," Livingston and Penn caution in a recent issue of EOS. "Other indications of solar activity suggest that sunspots must return in earnest within the next year."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We're due for trouble. Invest in flint and spears now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, if it's spots on the sun that we want, we should take a clue from that Shoemaker-Levy comet that slammed into Jupiter. A comet won't make much of an impact on the sun (being as it's an iceball that would melt before it got too close), but since we got the travel time to Mars down to a month or so, let's send a bunch of nukes there and blast it out of orbit. Maybe it will leave some spots behind as it becomes solar fuel.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote:
If sunspots do go away, it wouldn't be the first time. In the 17th century, the sun plunged into a 70-year period of spotlessness known as the Maunder Minimum that still baffles scientists. The sunspot drought began in 1645 and lasted until 1715; during that time, some of the best astronomers in history (e.g., Cassini) monitored the sun and failed to count more than a few dozen sunspots per year, compared to the usual thousands.

"Whether [the current downturn] is an omen of long-term sunspot decline, analogous to the Maunder Minimum, remains to be seen," Livingston and Penn caution in a recent issue of EOS. "Other indications of solar activity suggest that sunspots must return in earnest within the next year."
Well, that's heartening. I mean if it went from the Maunder Minimum to "normal" levels in a few hundred years, over the course of a 4.5 billion year life, we're talking hiccups here.
Jeff V wrote:Well, if it's spots on the sun that we want, we should take a clue from that Shoemaker-Levy comet that slammed into Jupiter. A comet won't make much of an impact on the sun (being as it's an iceball that would melt before it got too close), but since we got the travel time to Mars down to a month or so, let's send a bunch of nukes there and blast it out of orbit. Maybe it will leave some spots behind as it becomes solar fuel.
I don't think we could build anything that would make it through the corona (over 1,000,000 degrees kelvin, maybe as high as 3,000,000).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote:Well, if it's spots on the sun that we want,
It isn't. It's understanding we want.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bad Astronomy
After a very long absence, it looks like the Sun may finally be kick-starting its magnetic cycle. A big ol’ group of sunspots has just appeared on our nearest star:

The Sun’s face has been almost entirely devoid of spots for some time, and it’s been getting a little weird. There was some activity earlier this year, but it didn’t seem to be gaining any footing. And while this new group of spots doesn’t mean the new solar cycle has finally gotten started, it’s a good sign.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Yay, sun! You can do it!
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Kelric wrote:Yay, sun! You can do it!
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking cross the floor
And soon you'll be walking out the door

You never will get where you're going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there's a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don't be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

After a very long absence, it looks like the Sun may finally be kick-starting its magnetic cycle.
Whew. They were all talking about a dead rabbits and I was all thinking, "I don't care who the father is, I don't want to be around the Sun squeezes out whatever it is the sun was gonna squeeze out." Too bad were gonna have to deal with her moodiness again, though.
Massena

Post by Massena »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now we just need to put in a call to Earth-2 and see what the dark side of the sun looks like.
The Meal

3 days on the sun

Post by The Meal »

http://www.spaceweather.com" target="_blank

Those spots extend 9-times the width of the Earth.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, there goes our shot at another Maunder Minimum. If the cycle's returning to normal we're going to see real warming in the next 11 years.
DD*

Post by DD* »

LordMortis wrote:That'll learn ya' for using CFC aresol deoderants. You done gone and broke the sun. I don't even think Al Gore can fix a broken sun. Maybe Bruce Willis can still make it better. But if I have to listen to another 1990's styled Aerosmith ballad to make it happen, then I say let us burn (or freeze).
Not to worry - according to our very own android Nobel Laureate, the "interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees" just a couple klicks down, so we're pratically our own star right now. And everyone knows Algore is teh w!n at this science stuff.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Ironrod wrote:Well, there goes our shot at another Maunder Minimum. If the cycle's returning to normal we're going to see real warming in the next 11 years.
The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and the sun was given power to scorch people with fire. They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.
abr

Post by abr »

Bakhtosh wrote:
Ironrod wrote:Well, there goes our shot at another Maunder Minimum. If the cycle's returning to normal we're going to see real warming in the next 11 years.
The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and the sun was given power to scorch people with fire. They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him*.
*Except those in the sunglasses, sunscreen and parasol industries.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Gonna stop now. Go!