Sunspot activity in freefall

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Sunspot activity in freefall

Post by Daehawk »

Well that'll really throw off The Scouts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm
But a few times every million years, the field's polarity reverses and the magnetic North Pole and South Pole trade places. The last time this happened was about 780,000 years ago, and the process was previously estimated to take thousands of years, shifting at a rate of about one degree per year.
:geek:

shifting at a rate of about one degree per year. That would take, about 180 years... not 'thousands of years'. :think:

doesn't that read just blatantly wrong?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm confused. I thought that the N/S Poles weakened and weakened and then, more or less, flipped. This makes it sound like half-way through the process one would see the North Pole as being a point on the equator - let's say, to the East (or what we used to call East).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:53 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm
But a few times every million years, the field's polarity reverses and the magnetic North Pole and South Pole trade places. The last time this happened was about 780,000 years ago, and the process was previously estimated to take thousands of years, shifting at a rate of about one degree per year.
:geek:

shifting at a rate of about one degree per year. That would take, about 180 years... not 'thousands of years'. :think:

doesn't that read just blatantly wrong?
I presume that it wanders a lot before flipping. Should've been explained; I did a double-take, too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So earth has a molten core that spins to create magnetic fields that protect us from cosmic rays. That seems pretty fortunate. Take that plus a large moon plus Jupiter that snatches up most asteroids and you've got some answers to Fermi's Paradox.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
A sunspot pointing toward Earth has the potential to cause solar flares, but experts told USA TODAY it's far from unusual and eased concerns over how flares would affect the Blue Planet.

Active Region 3038, or AR3038, has been growing over the past week, said Rob Steenburgh, acting lead of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Forecast Office. The sunspot's size and growth rate are fairly normal, he said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

On the other hand, a massive solar flare event is pretty much in like with the last 6 years so I expect at least some power grid failures.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The sun’s activity is peaking sooner than expected
Over the course of a solar cycle, the sun will transition from a calm to an intense and active period. During the peak of activity, called solar maximum, the sun’s magnetic poles flip. Then, the sun will grow quiet again during a solar minimum.

Initially, peak activity was forecast to begin in July 2025. Now, experts believe the cyclical peak is more likely to take place in mid- to late 2024.
It's almost as if people are the problem.