Tie Fighter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ebisumaru

Tie Fighter

Post by ebisumaru »

I just picked up Tie-Fighter collector's edition from my local Goodwill. I'm running Windows xp64 right now. Anyone know how I can get old Dos games like this to run?
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

You must learn the ways of DOSBox young grasshopper.

It's a nice little program; I've been able to run some games I couldn't get to run on DOS based systems.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Atheist

Post by Atheist »

And the D-Fend front-end.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Sadly, I was unable to get DOSbox/D-Fend to run Tie Fighter. I couldn't get settings that ran the sound without stuttering, and an acceptable in-game frame rate.

I could get sound working fine. I could get an acceptable in game frame rate. Just not both at the same time.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

try vdmsound

Man Ive been wanting that collectors cd for a long time..I still have my old floppy version with addon.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Gotta use DOSBox and D-Fend. First mount both the CD drive and the hard drive you plan to install it on (if it's the CD-ROM version, as I have it). Then install the game from within DOSBox. Once that's done, use D-Fend to create the general settings such as sound and all that, then run the setup program to set up the game's sound. Then make sure the video card is on VGA and it should run okay. Unless you have a VERY powerful computer, you'll need to run it in low-res mode, as the high-res mode on the CD-ROM version is barely playable in DOSBox. Other than that, it runs pretty well, even with my USB stick.

Tie Fighter is one of my top five games, probably tied with Freespace 2 for the #3 spot on my list (preceeded by Jumpgate and Starflight). I've played through TF so many times its silly. Good luck getting it to work!
Atheist

Post by Atheist »

Tie Fighter's a *GREAT* game.

I remember buying it back in the day.. on floppies and everything. I wish I still had the box and manuals. I even bought a new joystick for that game.

You couldn't drag me away from my 486. :)
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Atheist wrote:Tie Fighter's a *GREAT* game.

I remember buying it back in the day.. on floppies and everything. I wish I still had the box and manuals. I even bought a new joystick for that game.

You couldn't drag me away from my 486. :)
Yeah, me neither. I was stuck to that game like glue until the very end. I'm playing through it again right now, and it has the same affect.
Cyjon

Post by Cyjon »

Lucasarts has a patch for XP compatibility. No idea if it works, but give it a shot. I found the link over at NTCompatible.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Is Tie Fighter one of those games that if you wanted the "Hi Res" version, you had to wait for it to come out on CD 6 months later?

I specifically remember doing that with the original "System Shock" (I bought it twice). Also "Rise Of The Triad" and "Doom"....?

And for some reason, I have both the floppy and CD versions of Tie Fighter too. There must be a reason I did that...
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

TIE Fighter's one of the best games ever developed for the PC. I killed a good part of 1994 and 1995 with it. The expansions weren't as good though; the TIE Defender was simply too good, it made the game easy.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Giles Habibula wrote:Is Tie Fighter one of those games that if you wanted the "Hi Res" version, you had to wait for it to come out on CD 6 months later?

I specifically remember doing that with the original "System Shock" (I bought it twice). Also "Rise Of The Triad" and "Doom"....?

And for some reason, I have both the floppy and CD versions of Tie Fighter too. There must be a reason I did that...
Yeah, only the CD-ROM version had the High-res 640x480 version.

Oh, that file at LucasArts is for the revamped windows versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter (the collector's editions that use the XvT engine). This has nothing to do with the DOS version.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Cyjon wrote:Lucasarts has a patch for XP compatibility. No idea if it works, but give it a shot. I found the link over at NTCompatible.
That's not the same version. Those were Win95 ports of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. The version in question here is the DOS version.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Cyjon

Post by Cyjon »

Veloxi wrote:Oh, that file at LucasArts is for the revamped windows versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter (the collector's editions that use the XvT engine). This has nothing to do with the DOS version.
That's what I get for posting at 7:30 in the morning :)
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Cyjon wrote:
Veloxi wrote:Oh, that file at LucasArts is for the revamped windows versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter (the collector's editions that use the XvT engine). This has nothing to do with the DOS version.
That's what I get for posting at 7:30 in the morning :)
Hey, it's not as if we don't appreciate the effort, man. Thanks. :)
ebisumaru

Post by ebisumaru »

Hey thanks for all your help. Just got the game installed and working on getting it tweaked up to speed.
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Oh cool! I didn't know there was a patch by Lucasarts. I had to go do some tweak thing and point something to the Tie95 executable just to get it running in Xp. That fix made it work but without 3d. This patch is pretty damn cool. Thank god I still had my save game from like a year ago. The 3d makes a big difference. Too bad I can't fond my X-wing cd.
Atheist

Post by Atheist »

Dude... your avatar is possibly the most disturbing thing I've seen.. in an avatar. I need to find me a goatse avatar. :shock:
warning

Post by warning »

GoGamer has the collection on sale. $20 is a steal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was just gonna post that..just got my gogamer email letter this morning. If I can scrounge up $20 Im all over that just for the Tie Fighter Collector one.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

warning wrote:GoGamer has the collection on sale. $20 is a steal.
Ok, I'm still possibly confused. :?

So with that $20 pack from Gogamer and the patch from Lucasarts, I can play those games in WinXP?

And my old CD-rom version of Tie Fighter -- that won't run in XP, right?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

warning wrote:GoGamer has the collection on sale. $20 is a steal.
Frigging awesome! I sold my copy a while back when I lost my job, but now that I'm gainfully employed, this will be mine! Thanks!
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Freezer...that is correct. You need the 3D Collection from Gogamer and the Lucasarts patch to run under XP.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Freezer, the Collector's cd should work. As long as you install Tie Fighter, and your shortcut points to C:\TIE95, then yes, your cd bundled with the patch from LucasArts should work just fine. If your exe is just C:\TIE, then you are fuXX0RD. I have the stand alone Tie Fighter CD Collector's edition and it runs like a champ.
Daehawk

Re: Tie Fighter

Post by Daehawk »

Some serious thread necromancy going on in here Beelzebub.

TIE Fighter: Total Conversion (TFTC)

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

It looks good, but man, I really wish they'd do a proper one that has cutting edge graphics that we've seen in modern Star Wars games. TIE Fighter was one of the first PC games I played and I would love to revisit it in modern form. Hell, I would gladly invest in VR if they put in the full TIE Fighter campaign as playable.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So hard to believe this thread is seventeen years old, when the game was only eleven years old.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tie Fighter is one of my all time beloved space fighter games ever. I bought it new and finished it then got the expansion Defender of the Empire and finished it too. I loved The Stele Chronicles and such it came with. Still have all that and the original giant strategy guide to it. About 10 years ago I bought a mint copy of the CD release of it in SVGA with all the sound and such.

I got X-Wing later and then Alliance but never enjoyed them like I did Tie Fighter. It was fun being the 'bad' guy. I wish some modders would do this for Alliance.. I never did finish it but came close a few times.

The Stele Chronicles
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:42 pm I got X-Wing later and then Alliance but never enjoyed them like I did Tie Fighter. It was fun being the 'bad' guy. I wish some modders would do this for Alliance.. I never did finish it but came close a few times.
They already did. As the video you posted above points out, the TIE Fighter Total Conversion is "built upon the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Mod."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I actually tried to play the XWA Total Conversion mod some time ago - took me forever to get it working.

The thing is, X-Wing Alliance has a... different pace of combat. Capital ship turbo lasers go pewpewpewpew. In the original, capital ship turbo lasers went pew... pew... pew... pew... and a lot more slowly.

So what it boils down to is that any time I fly my Tie Fighter within 2.5 clicks of a corvette, in about two seconds, I hear "crunch", followed by an animation of my fighter disintegrating.

It's a shame, because they really did a bang-up job with the graphics aspect of it; but it seems that there's either some reliance on the player being some kind of superhuman cyborg who's been playing XWing Alliance non-stop for the last 20 years, or nobody checked whether the missions were doable without invulnerability cheats? I dunno, feels like a missed opportunity.
Black Lives Matter