[TV] Dexter

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: [TV] Dexter

Post by malchior »

Sort of a riff on how ridiculous the last season was. On a hopeful note apparently it'll be the original showrunner before it went off the rails. That might help. Maybe everything after a certain point was a dream. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

While not nearly as bad the Star Wars prequels, we still don't talk about the final episodes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The final episode was 99% bad. But the final moment, realizing that Dexter had stripped away his humanity and was now hiding in the woods? Yeah, let me see some of that.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:59 pm I am sure someone demanded it.

I'll want to see it I am sure. I'm not sure how I'll do that as I am unlikely to sub to another service, but I will see it.
Yeah, we watched all 8(?) seasons, and I was glad to see it end. They really did all they could with the character. I too would watch a revival, but I won't pay for it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'll want to see it I am sure. I'm not sure how I'll do that as I am unlikely to sub to another service, but I will see it.
I'd hope so considering your avatar...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:25 am

I'd hope so considering your avatar...
Amusingly, that has been my avatar for so long I barely even thought about it when posting here.

It will be nice to see if Dexter and I are still on the same page.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 amIt will be nice to see if Dexter and I are still on the same page.
Extra-strength, pharmaceutical-grade muscle relaxants make the medicine go down, the medicine go down?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
JCC

Post by JCC »

It seems like a waste if they don't retcon the ending. Ideally, the first new episode would start with Dexter waking up from a dream a day after the end of Season 4.

(While I am not kidding about that being the best case scenario - I of course don't believe they would do that. And of course MCH would look too old for that to be viable.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interest for watching the revival just increased significantly:
John Lithgow is returning to his old Dexter stomping ground.

The multiple Emmy-winning actor is set to make a short but decisive appearance in the Michael C. Hall-led revival coming from Showtime this fall. Awarded his fifth Emmy for the role as the revered but feared “Trinity Killer” in the fourth season of the killer series’ original run, Lithgow’s character was soundly bumped off by Dexter Morgan himself in season-finale episode “The Getaway” back in late 2009.

Which begs the question: How will Lithgow’s Arthur Mitchell will return?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My guess is that the Trinity Killer will take on the role of Dexter's father as an imaginary mentor...or, given his history, the imaginary bad voice in Dexter's head trying to get him to go outside "the code".
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm
Can't wait. It looks like it's not going to be some cash in type sequel, it's looks and feel like a continuation of the last season with the same quality.
malchior

Post by malchior »

naednek wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:24 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm
Can't wait. It looks like it's not going to be some cash in type sequel, it's looks and feel like a continuation of the last season with the same quality.
I never thought I'd hear someone hoping for the quality of the last season. :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:40 pm I never thought I'd hear someone hoping for the quality of the last season. :)
Agree completely. Pretty much every season after season 4 sucked with a few nice moments. The final season was weak and the final episode was horrible.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
naednek

Post by naednek »

I meant the series as a whole, ya that last season wasn't great
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I am really digging the reboot. It feels like classic Dexter.
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 pm I am really digging the reboot. It feels like classic Dexter.
That's super awesome to hear! I'm going to have to budget time for this.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm assuming this is a one episode per week deal?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's on showtime, so yes. I got the streaming service at 3.99 a month for 4 months deal and a 30 day free trial. That should cover me for it all.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Still loving the reboot.
Spoiler:
At first I wasn’t sure about Harrison’s return, but the story behind him is getting really interesting. I can’t figure out what he’s up to. And the actor they cast for the role is knocking it out of the park. Hell, I’d watch a spin-off with him as the lead.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And now it’s turned the corner…

…into awesome. :wub:
Spoiler:
Having Harrison be one of the potential big bads of the season is inspired. But simultaneously I think they’re setting up a Harry/Dexter like relationship between Dexter and Harrison. Also, making Deb his new inner voice, replacing Harry, just works perfectly. It would make sense that her death would cause him to bring her into his subconscious in that manner.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Not clicking any spoilers as I am waiting for it to be more binge-able, but glad to hear you are enjoying it. I'd say I can't wait, but apparently I can. I need a reminder of what a proper psychopath looks like after watching another season of You.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 pm Not clicking any spoilers as I am waiting for it to be more binge-able, but glad to hear you are enjoying it. I'd say I can't wait, but apparently I can. I need a reminder of what a proper psychopath looks like after watching another season of You.
Still not reading because spoilers, but 5 or 6 episodes in and this is pretty close to perfect for me. I was a little shaky in the first couple episodes, but it has totally come together for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It falters a bit here and there, but overall I thought it was a great way to resolve the crappiness of the series finale all those years ago.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I totally enjoyed it, but.....
Spoiler:
Having him be taken down by a small time cop was kind of a stretch for me.
He was smart enough to elude even those he worked closely with, but 1 little slip of the tongue from his drug addled kid, sets off his demise?
The string of coincidences after that was pushing it, but all in all a good ride.
And Clancy Brown remains one of my favorite actors.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:14 pm I totally enjoyed it, but.....
Spoiler:
Having him be taken down by a small time cop was kind of a stretch for me.
He was smart enough to elude even those he worked closely with, but 1 little slip of the tongue from his drug addled kid, sets off his demise?
The string of coincidences after that was pushing it, but all in all a good ride.
And Clancy Brown remains one of my favorite actors.
Spoiler:
I was going to disagree with you, but then I remembered that her figuring out who Dexter really was hinged on one ridiculous scene of Angel simply describing Dexter in a very brief bit of exposition...then she made this leap of logic that connected the dots for her. That bugged me. But as you say, it was still entertaining.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dexter Prequel and Dexter: New Blood Season 2 in development...

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/de ... r-prequel/

Article has some spoilers if you haven't seen New Blood, so go see New Blood.
First up, there’s been a straight-to-series order for a prequel show, Dexter: Origins. Set in Dexter’s hometown, Miami, the series will follow the beginnings of Morgan’s murderous path after joining the Miami Metro while touching on the stories of real life killers from the time. The show promises to give fans a chance to meet younger versions of characters from the original series; the prospect of seeing a teenage Deb and an altogether more alive Harry is a tantalising one indeed.
While Origins is primarily aiming to foster a new generation of fans for the franchise, Showtime also confirmed that they are developing a continuation of New Blood...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter