Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Post by naednek »

The first 2 episodes have been great. Some stupid stuff sure, but overall fun.

Maggie, we can't save him because we don't have enough ammo.
A few minutes later they are unloading everything they got against the same mob of zombies.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

naednek wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:27 pm The first 2 episodes have been great. Some stupid stuff sure, but overall fun.

Maggie, we can't save him because we don't have enough ammo.
A few minutes later they are unloading everything they got against the same mob of zombies.
LMAO - yeah I think she makes it clear at some point it's not worth it for that guy in particular. Harsh!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

rittchard wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:15 pm Looking forward to seeing reactions to this Sunday's ep. I loved the opening action sequence, it was just fantastic. The Reapers are a really cool villain, they have a more threatening feel to them which I enjoy. I think it helps that they weren't in the comics as far as I remember. Maybe my memory is bad? Thus far I've really enjoyed this season's opening 3 episodes, hope it bodes well as they head toward the end of the show.
Why do we need to watch it? You just gave it away.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:29 pm
rittchard wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:15 pm Looking forward to seeing reactions to this Sunday's ep. I loved the opening action sequence, it was just fantastic. The Reapers are a really cool villain, they have a more threatening feel to them which I enjoy. I think it helps that they weren't in the comics as far as I remember. Maybe my memory is bad? Thus far I've really enjoyed this season's opening 3 episodes, hope it bodes well as they head toward the end of the show.
Why do we need to watch it? You just gave it away.
Errrrr I'm not sure if you were joking or serious, but I'm not sure what I might have given away. The Reapers were introduced/teased since last February, and since they aren't comic villains, there isn't additional comic info to spoil. Or did I spoil that there was an opening action sequence that they are featured in? They were shown coming at us at the end of the prior week's episode, so again I don't think I gave anything away.

https://decider.com/2021/02/28/the-walk ... e-reapers/

Anyway... I will just spoiler to be safe.
Spoiler:
I believe last night's ep was the Daryl-centric one that also gave the back story on The Reapers. While I liked the return of the Leah character, I have to admit I didn't recognize her at all so it took a while to realize who she was. Overall I enjoyed watching the episode but frankly I would have preferred less inside information on them. I'm also a little tired of seeing Daryl get captured and tortured. As I alluded to before, though, I definitely preferred the mystery that these guys seemed to have early on. Now they just appear to be fairly limited in number, and run by an annoying crazy dude. The intimidation factor dropped a ton, for me, anyway.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I don't know if it me but are supposed to know
Spoiler:
who that woman is who captured Daryl. I have no idea who she is.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am I don't know if it me but are supposed to know
Spoiler:
I think
Spoiler:
I remember a "Daryl flashback" episode that covered a number of years during which Daryl lived with her, off and on, in a cabin. One day she disappeared, and he didn't stick around after that, although he did go looking for her and periodically checked back into the cabin. It was a weird episode that gave him an extensive back story outside of the main line, seemingly unconnected to anything until this encounter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am
naednek wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am I don't know if it me but are supposed to know
Spoiler:
I think
Spoiler:
I remember a "Daryl flashback" episode that covered a number of years during which Daryl lived with her, off and on, in a cabin. One day she disappeared, and he didn't stick around after that, although he did go looking for her and periodically checked back into the cabin. It was a weird episode that gave him an extensive back story outside of the main line, seemingly unconnected to anything until this encounter.
Spoiler:
Yes you are correct, she was in one of the six "bonus" episodes they had earlier this year.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 pm Errrrr I'm not sure if you were joking or serious, but I'm not sure what I might have given away. The Reapers were introduced/teased since last February, and since they aren't comic villains, there isn't additional comic info to spoil. Or did I spoil that there was an opening action sequence that they are featured in? They were shown coming at us at the end of the prior week's episode, so again I don't think I gave anything away.
Sorry. Just joking (and not very good at it). I don't come in here unless I am caught up (but this time just to apologize and leave since I'm actually not caught up). I think the expectation in a serialized show should be that you'll be caught up if you want to post about it. Netflix is a bit different, though.
I also don't want to come in and see this:
Spoiler:
This
Spoiler:
Is
Spoiler:
Silly
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm I also don't want to come in and see this:
Spoiler:
This
Spoiler:
Is
Spoiler:
Silly
I rarely use spoiler tags because I don't have any inside knowledge. But I'll use them as a courtesy if I'm replying to someone else who did, as in this case. In this thread, spoiler tags belong on anything that talks about what the comics did, or discusses the AMC+ early episode that's a week ahead of everyone except rittchard.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s the big issue. AMC is releasing episodes early for people who pony up some cash. So many of us may be a week behind someone else. Spoiler tags aren’t that big a price to pay in light of that fact.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm
rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 pm Errrrr I'm not sure if you were joking or serious, but I'm not sure what I might have given away. The Reapers were introduced/teased since last February, and since they aren't comic villains, there isn't additional comic info to spoil. Or did I spoil that there was an opening action sequence that they are featured in? They were shown coming at us at the end of the prior week's episode, so again I don't think I gave anything away.
Sorry. Just joking (and not very good at it). I don't come in here unless I am caught up (but this time just to apologize and leave since I'm actually not caught up). I think the expectation in a serialized show should be that you'll be caught up if you want to post about it. Netflix is a bit different, though.
Spoiler:
This
Spoiler:
Is
Spoiler:
Silly
I found these spoilers to be disappointing.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Freyland wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:16 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm
Spoiler:
This
Spoiler:
Is
Spoiler:
Silly
I found these spoilers to be disappointing.
Me too! I thought there would at least be an OnlyFans link in one of them!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Comments on last night's ep (spoilers NOT covered as discussed above): I really enjoyed a lot of the elements of this ep. Great to see some of my favorites like Aaron and Judith. I really enjoyed seeing the darker side of Aaron and how he'd been impacted by the Whisperers, and by everything in the show in general. On Talking Dead he mentions that there are only 3 original Alexandrians still alive, himself and two extras. Between that and having a daughter to take care of, the impact of the apocalypse must weigh pretty heavily. Ditto for Judith, who has basically lost every family member she had. To have some obnoxious bully rub it in her face (what was up with that idiot anyway?) was a bit contrived, but made for some good moments for her. The Commonwealth plot was interesting as well, it's interesting to see how they advance the story there and how it contrasts so dramatically with the rest of our "normal" TWD storylines. The ending with hints at Connie's return was a great payoff.

Now for NEXT WEEK's EP (I'm only writing this now since it's fresh in my head), which surprisingly (for me) may have been one of my favorite episodes of the series. I didn't think I could be this entertained by this show any more, but they managed to really hook me with this one.
Spoiler:
The return of Connie was done really well, and kudos to the actress for making it so riveting. Her storyline plays like a mini horror movie, and I am 100% here for it. I haven't felt that strong sense of tension in this show for a long time, and most of it I'd say was due to her performance. I love how they turn the sound off for her POV making it that much more frustrating and giving it a sense of immediacy and helplessness we don't normally get. I wasn't a big fan of Virgil but he does get a nice redemption arc here. The cannibal/people under the stairs creeped me out kind of reminding me of the X-Files classic "Home" episode. Very well done and well acted.

Unfortunately the second plotline was a dud for me. While I like that they advanced the Pope/Reaper plot, it just seemed a bit ridiculous and stupid that our heroes didn't just take out the few dorks that were there. They were easy pickings and without Leah and the goober dude, I don't know how many more "threats" the Reapers actually have. I think the problem is actually with last week's episode, I guess it just made me feel like they weren't particularly threatening and their numbers seemed slim at best. A sneak attack should easily cripple them. I suspect what we were supposed to think is that the Reaper group is filled with highly trained professional mercs so even the smaller numbers should be significant. The problem is that they've kind of built up our heroes to be kind of superhuman, like Maggie and her one throw dagger kills, or Carol with a bow or whatever. Even Gabriel is made out to be a ruthless killing machine. This team had Negan, Maggie, Gabriel AND Daryl, plus the element of surprise. It makes it hard for me to buy they couldn't take these losers out.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually like the spoiler tags. I like to be able to look in and see how well a show is holding up/developing through the general discussion while not having to worry about seeing the specifics. It's especially useful if I want to ask questions about a show I haven't seen yet, and don't want to start another thread just to be able to check for answers. As I'm rarely up to date on any show, the threads are completely off-limits to me without the tags.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I'm just excited about Frank Darabont writing/directing a Walking Dead series for AMC.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm I'm just excited about Frank Darabont writing/directing a Walking Dead series for AMC.
I know, right?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm I'm just excited about Frank Darabont writing/directing a Walking Dead series for AMC.
:clap:

S.I.M. pops in from the shadows with a gem. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:55 pm

Always watching. Rarely posting.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
naednek

Post by naednek »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:55 pm

Always watching. Rarely posting.
Perv

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I've read some bad reviews for this season but honestly I've been enjoying the show much more than I have in a long time. Or I may just be comparing to Fear so my standards have shifted.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep the spoiler tags up until there's a mid-season break.

Here are some comments on NEXT week's ep (Oct 10):
Spoiler:
I really enjoyed the use of Whisperer technology against the Reapers. Kudos to Maggie and Negan, and a nice assist from Dark Gabriel. Glad they are advancing the Pope plotline quickly, I really couldn't stand that guy. Over the top in an annoying way. It kind of went how I'd expected with Leah being the one to off Pope, I just didn't think Leah would be such a bitch after. But given that Daryl is due to spinoff with Carol, having a long-term romantic interest wouldn't make sense, so her time on the show was always going to be limited. Turning her into a "villain" seems like as good a plot shift as any.

The secondary story of dealing with the storm was kind of lame. I'm not sure why all of a sudden the house is just falling apart. I know most of them burnt down but I'm assuming they are living in one of the few that remained and there's no reason why it would just fall apart at the seams lol. But whatever, it made for a great action sequence for what's her face. I thought for sure Judith was going to go out and do her thing but oh well. The more important plot point was to make sure she got a scene with Virgil, which worked really well except I was disappointed he didn't mention Rick at all. I don't recall how much he knew but I'm pretty sure he knew enough to hint that they thought Rick was still alive. I really hope they end the series on a nice note with Judith getting to reunite with her parents. Yeah I'm a sucker for a happy ending, but after all we've endured I think it would be a nice way to close things out, kind of similar to the comic. It's not like we didn't lose a ton of characters along the way.
naednek

Post by naednek »

rittchard wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:51 pm I've read some bad reviews for this season but honestly I've been enjoying the show much more than I have in a long time. Or I may just be comparing to Fear so my standards have shifted.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep the spoiler tags up until there's a mid-season break.

Here are some comments on NEXT week's ep (Oct 10):
Spoiler:
I really enjoyed the use of Whisperer technology against the Reapers. Kudos to Maggie and Negan, and a nice assist from Dark Gabriel. Glad they are advancing the Pope plotline quickly, I really couldn't stand that guy. Over the top in an annoying way. It kind of went how I'd expected with Leah being the one to off Pope, I just didn't think Leah would be such a bitch after. But given that Daryl is due to spinoff with Carol, having a long-term romantic interest wouldn't make sense, so her time on the show was always going to be limited. Turning her into a "villain" seems like as good a plot shift as any.

The secondary story of dealing with the storm was kind of lame. I'm not sure why all of a sudden the house is just falling apart. I know most of them burnt down but I'm assuming they are living in one of the few that remained and there's no reason why it would just fall apart at the seams lol. But whatever, it made for a great action sequence for what's her face. I thought for sure Judith was going to go out and do her thing but oh well. The more important plot point was to make sure she got a scene with Virgil, which worked really well except I was disappointed he didn't mention Rick at all. I don't recall how much he knew but I'm pretty sure he knew enough to hint that they thought Rick was still alive. I really hope they end the series on a nice note with Judith getting to reunite with her parents. Yeah I'm a sucker for a happy ending, but after all we've endured I think it would be a nice way to close things out, kind of similar to the comic. It's not like we didn't lose a ton of characters along the way.

doh i didn't realize this was for next week and you even made it in caps. I read half of it and then realized that I went too far in :D
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Gah! Sorry Ken!! Also I didn't realize that was the first breakpoint of the season. Booooo just when I was getting into it. FYI the final season is 24 episodes broken up into 3 sets of 8, so that was ep 8.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Never buy a broom an 11 year can easily break with one kick.

…that’s all I got.

Wait…no…one more thing
Spoiler:
Goodbye bargain bin Wilford Brimley.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:42 pm FYI the final season is 24 episodes broken up into 3 sets of 8, so that was ep 8.
Thanks, I thought that was supposed to be part 1 of a 2-part grand finale and it didn't seem nearly grand enough.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, I forgot, I have one more question
Spoiler:
Did anyone see if the word "Acme" was written on the side of that ridiculously convoluted weapon? I suspect Maggie and her group could have just painted a tunnel on the side of one of the walls and walked through that since they're obviously going by Road Runner rules.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:25 am No, I forgot, I have one more question
Spoiler:
Did anyone see if the word "Acme" was written on the side of that ridiculously convoluted weapon? I suspect Maggie and her group could have just painted a tunnel on the side of one of the walls and walked through that since they're obviously going by Road Runner rules.
Spoiler:
I'm currently playing Civ6 as Korea, and the hwacha is our unique weapon. I didn't have a real clear idea of what they were so I was delighted to see one brought to life. It does seem like an odd thing to Macguyver, but this IS a comic book show.