Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: Running

Post by YellowKing »

Boom, 5K done.

I wasn't planning on another long run (for me) after Wednesday's 2.5 miler, so I decided to just do 2.0. Then somewhere around the 25 minute mark I decided "F that, I'm not going backwards. 2.6 or bust." When I hit that, I still wasn't struggling, so it was no big deal to tack on the extra half mile and call it a day.

I came in at 38:00 and some change, so a tad slower than my norm but not exceedingly so. Given I wasn't pushing it at all, I have no doubt I'll be back down to a 12:00 pace if not better in a week or two.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Awesome man, congrats!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What are you all using for running headphones? I was using my standard Apple Airpods, which I loved. However, the left one completely shorted out this week. I’m guessing they weren’t exactly designed to handle the amount of sweat that pours out of my head.

I picked up another pair (these Jabra ones) and ran with them for the first time this morning . I absolutely hated them. They have a silicone end that goes in your ear, which essentially makes them function like earplugs. So while the sound was fine, every internal noise (breathing, footfalls, etc) is amplified significantly. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but I thought it was awful.

I’m trying to find something that rests in your ear (like AirPods) but not actually INSIDE your ear that is also sweat-resistant. Might be a tall order, as it seems like nearly everything sweat-proof has those silicone tips.

I may just order a new set of AirPods and hope that my old ones just crapped out because they were old, and not because I swear too much.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I use my old AirPods which are still working great. I can't use the version 2.0 ones because they literally fall out of my ears. I know most people like the adjustable tip kind over Apple's old style hard ones, but I apparently have really weird ear holes. I can't use them - they all just fall out no matter how hard I jam them in, no matter what size tip I use.

I was really disappointed because I love the noise cancellation feature and improved connectivity. but the only time I can use them is in bed when I'm not moving at all.

Before I got the AirPods, I used to swear by these for running:

Philips Over the Ear Sports Earbuds
disarm

Post by disarm »

I picked up the Jabra Elite Active 75t a few months ago and they're fantastic...amazing sound, waterproof (IP57 certified, good for 30 minutes at 1 meter depth), and have never had any trouble getting them to stay in my ears comfortably while running or doing heavy yard work. They even have active noise cancellation that works surprisingly well for a feature added purely by software a while after they first went on sale.

Unfortunately, it looks like the 75t has pretty much the same shape and fit as the 65t that you didn't like. Did you try the different earpieces to get a better fit? In-ear buds aren't great for everyone, but I can't imagine going back to anything else.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Been running on and off for 20+ years and I've been through every type, brand, style of headphones that are out there.

For me, the best on the market are AfterShokz. I've tried them all and for me personally, nothing compares.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'll second aftershokz. I have two pairs of the airs and my wife has a pair. They sound good and let you hear your surroundings. Mine have worked well despite how much I sweat (mostly from the head). I wear them running and biking and can't recommend them high enough. $119 for the wireless airs. I got my second pair on ebay for $50 when I lost my first pair (found them the day after I bought the second).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks all for the input.

I think I must have weird shaped ears or something, as it doesn't seem like any in-ear headphones really work for me. They either just fall out, or they function like earplugs and amplify all internal noise to the point of being unbearable. Seems like the latter doesn't happen to others, so it must just be my weird ears. Those Aftershockz look interesting, but I've never found headphones with an over-the-ear loop that are comfortable with sunglasses.

The basic AirPods seem to work the best, so I ordered another pair of those yesterday. Gonna keep my fingers crossed that my last pair shorting out was just due to their age and not stress/sweat from running. Interestingly, my old pair work just fine when I'm sitting still, but short out any time I run with them in. Go figure.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm I think I must have weird shaped ears or something, as it doesn't seem like any in-ear headphones really work for me. They either just fall out, or they function like earplugs and amplify all internal noise to the point of being unbearable. Seems like the latter doesn't happen to others, so it must just be my weird ears. Those Aftershockz look interesting, but I've never found headphones with an over-the-ear loop that are comfortable with sunglasses.
On the Jabra, you get used to the ear plug nature of it but maybe you are more of an audiophile than I am so it affects you more though really it seems like you listen to a louder class of music than I do so I'd think it would drown the other sounds out.

On the over the ear things, wear a hat rather than sunglasses, it will help keep the sweat out of your ears too.

I use Jabra in-ear headphones as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:06 pm On the Jabra, you get used to the ear plug nature of it but maybe you are more of an audiophile than I am so it affects you more though really it seems like you listen to a louder class of music than I do so I'd think it would drown the other sounds out.
I'm not much of an audiophile, and actually keep my music level pretty low when I run so I have situational awareness. I tried 3 runs with the Jabra, and just couldn't get past the ear plug issue. It drove me completely insane, mostly with the incredibly loud footfalls. I tried the "pass through" feature (that lets in ambient noise), but it seemed like the only thing that did was amplify the wind. :lol:

AirPods allow me to hear music, but don't make it feel like my ears are actually plugged. If I could find a pair with similar functionality that were designed to be sweatproof, I'd jump on them in a heartbeat.
On the over the ear things, wear a hat rather than sunglasses, it will help keep the sweat out of your ears too.
My eyes have a pretty significant light sensitivity. If I'm out in the sun without sunglasses, I'll have a splitting headache in 10-15 minutes.
JCC

Post by JCC »

My favorite wireless earbuds are the Samsung Galaxy Live Buds. The reason they are my favorite is they sound great and are comfortable. You don't have to cram them painfully into your ears to get good sound. They have the best comfort/sound quality ratio I have ever found. However, they aren't perfect.

They will pretty much fit in your ears or they won't. There isn't much you can do to adjust things. They have 2 different wing tips you can try but for me wearing either (or none) of them make any difference. They are stable and comfortable to me, but I do still find myself adjusting them (by pushing them frontwards) from time to time.

The biggest downside for me is sweat. If you are really sweating a lot then the sweat can activate touch controls (usually increasing or decreasing the volume) accidentally. Another unwanted sweat problem is sometimes a sweat bead will get in your ear and muck up the sound which requires removing the bud and drying it off as well as trying to clean the sweat out of your ears. Note, that most of the time this doesn't happen unless I am sweating a LOT.

But, for me, the highly comfortable aspect overwhelmingly trumps the weaknesses. Of course since I still have sciatica, I am only wearing them on trips to the store these days....damnit.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:My eyes have a pretty significant light sensitivity. If I'm out in the sun without sunglasses, I'll have a splitting headache in 10-15 minutes.
Same here. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older. Being outside in normal sunlight doesn't bother me, but catching a bright glare off a car bumper can trigger a migraine.
stessier

Post by stessier »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:20 am I'll second aftershokz. I have two pairs of the airs and my wife has a pair. They sound good and let you hear your surroundings. Mine have worked well despite how much I sweat (mostly from the head). I wear them running and biking and can't recommend them high enough. $119 for the wireless airs. I got my second pair on ebay for $50 when I lost my first pair (found them the day after I bought the second).
I know Skinypupy rejected this, but I'm going to third it for anyone else reading. I started with the Titanium (2 years) and moved on to the fully waterproof Aeropex. My wife went with the small size Titanium that fit her head better. They are fantastic and allow full situational awareness while I'm running on the streets. I'm not an audiophile and think they work great whether I listen to music or podcasts.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I've tried so many pairs of running headphones I've lost count (AirPods, Beats, Jabra, Aftershokz, others). By far, the best set I've found for me are the Jaybird Vistas. Great sound, not too expensive, comfortable, and -- most importantly -- they stay put in my ears.

I'm on my third pair, only because I'm careless and tend to lose stuff.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Had a 5k yesterday. My goal was to finish it with a 9:30 pace and I finished with an 8:55 pace. I've run this race many times and my best before was in 2016 with 10:23.

A second first. I took my dog with me for the race. We run together but she's never done a race. A few close calls where she got behind someone else and almost tripped them but after the first half mile things cleared up a bit and she didn't bother anyone after that. Overall Natasha ran really well.

I also beat my wife in this race which hasn't happened in a long time.

But for those who are starting out and running slow or having trouble finishing if you keep at it you'll get better. We are training for distance and generally run somewhere between 10:30 and 11:30 and distances of 2,3,4, and then 8+ miles but just running often has helped my time on shorter runs.

That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:37 pm Had a 5k yesterday. My goal was to finish it with a 9:30 pace and I finished with an 8:55 pace. I've run this race many times and my best before was in 2016 with 10:23.
Nice work!
But for those who are starting out and running slow or having trouble finishing if you keep at it you'll get better. We are training for distance and generally run somewhere between 10:30 and 11:30 and distances of 2,3,4, and then 8+ miles but just running often has helped my time on shorter runs.
I was frustrated at my 5k time yesterday of 11:19/mile. It helped to go back through my run log to see how much I’ve improved.

6 weeks ago, I was struggling to do 2 miles consistently and get it under 12:00/mile. Now, I’m doing 2.5 miles most days and am averaging under 11:00.

Incremental improvement can sometimes feel frustratingly slow.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been doing shorter distances (2 miles) recently due to the insane heat, but I've kept my pace up. My goal right now is to just be consistent with running every other day, because I know if I start focusing too hard on pace or distance I'll wind up getting discouraged and quitting altogether. I just have to keep reminding myself that any run is better than no run.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:50 pm Incremental improvement can sometimes feel frustratingly slow.
Looking back at my previous times from years ago I had no improvement (and the occasional bad time due to a worse hangover than other years) but it really helped looking at them and seeing how much I improved from the last one because I was running consistently.
YellowKing wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:59 pm I just have to keep reminding myself that any run is better than no run.
And that improvement came from just running consistently. Didn't matter if it was 2,3, 4, or 10. Run more and your times improve. So if you have to drop your run down to two miles because it's crazy hot and humid don't feel too bad about it. You're still running.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife and I are sans kids tomorrow morning, we decided we will attempt to run outside when she gets home from work. Hopefully she has the energy for it. I've been walking a ton since the beginning of the year, but hardly running at all, even on the hamster wheel. There's a 2/4 mile walk/run event coming up at the end of June, we've done it in the past, and I do want to get the kids more involved (in 2019 my then-2 year old daughter really put on her game face and to all of the spectator's delight toughed out a good quarter mile before she finally had to stop and walk). Mostly though, I want to
Spoiler:
harvest my wife and kid's beer tokens that come with the race registration because this is part of a music and beer festival.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My running plans are all out of whack. My Nordictrak treadmill has been solid and reliable for 8 years, but has been nothing but trouble since about November. After various attempts to repair it, I finally just decided to get a new one. My Sole TT8 is sitting in my basement just waiting to be assembled. Hopefully, that will help me have more options to run, as the weather around here hasn't been particularly helpful. (And I definitely will want to run in my cool basement rather than 90+ degree heat this summer).

After dragging my feet, I signed up for a live event - a downhill marathon in Seattle in August. Always nice to have a goal to work toward.

Almost immediately after pulling the trigger on the race, I've developed an annoying pain next to my right calf. Uncomfortable when I put running weight on the leg, (or when heading downstairs). It's not debilitating, but despite my attempts to not aggravate it, it lingers. I seem to recall the last ache/pain like this just took longer to heal. Getting older is so much fun.

I just switched to bluetooth earbuds, but they're nothing near as fancy as what you all are using. And running down my Amazon order led to a dead end too, so I can't contribute to that discussion much. Though I've got lots of leads for when I want to replace these.

Great to hear of so much progress from so many. It's inspiring. Congrats all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baroquen wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:59 am Getting older is so much fun.
It's a damned sight better than the alternative.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So this morning wife and I took advantage of a childless morning and went running together for the first time in a couple of years. I guess we did ok all things considering, we completed just over 4 miles at a 11:20 pace, and that included the half-mile or so cooldown walk. I forgot to set my phone when we started, but it has an autodetect feature and captured the whole run as far as I could tell, but I couldn't stop it from getting the cooldown.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Baroquen wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:59 am My running plans are all out of whack. My Nordictrak treadmill has been solid and reliable for 8 years, but has been nothing but trouble since about November. After various attempts to repair it, I finally just decided to get a new one. My Sole TT8 is sitting in my basement just waiting to be assembled. Hopefully, that will help me have more options to run, as the weather around here hasn't been particularly helpful. (And I definitely will want to run in my cool basement rather than 90+ degree heat this summer).

After dragging my feet, I signed up for a live event - a downhill marathon in Seattle in August. Always nice to have a goal to work toward.

Almost immediately after pulling the trigger on the race, I've developed an annoying pain next to my right calf. Uncomfortable when I put running weight on the leg, (or when heading downstairs). It's not debilitating, but despite my attempts to not aggravate it, it lingers. I seem to recall the last ache/pain like this just took longer to heal. Getting older is so much fun.

I just switched to bluetooth earbuds, but they're nothing near as fancy as what you all are using. And running down my Amazon order led to a dead end too, so I can't contribute to that discussion much. Though I've got lots of leads for when I want to replace these.

Great to hear of so much progress from so many. It's inspiring. Congrats all.
Sorry to hear about your pains. I've gotten used to taking tylenol before each run. Seems to help. Nice work signing up for the marathon. Even downhill that's a long way to run.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am So this morning wife and I took advantage of a childless morning and went running together for the first time in a couple of years. I guess we did ok all things considering, we completed just over 4 miles at a 11:20 pace, and that included the half-mile or so cooldown walk. I forgot to set my phone when we started, but it has an autodetect feature and captured the whole run as far as I could tell, but I couldn't stop it from getting the cooldown.
Does your wife run separate from you? That's quite good if she doesn't run and is just starting out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:22 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am So this morning wife and I took advantage of a childless morning and went running together for the first time in a couple of years. I guess we did ok all things considering, we completed just over 4 miles at a 11:20 pace, and that included the half-mile or so cooldown walk. I forgot to set my phone when we started, but it has an autodetect feature and captured the whole run as far as I could tell, but I couldn't stop it from getting the cooldown.
Does your wife run separate from you? That's quite good if she doesn't run and is just starting out.
11:20 a mile is a far better than average pace, especially if it factors in a half-mile cooldown walk.

I'm jealous, as I my best time is 11:19/mile on a 5K run.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:22 pm Does your wife run separate from you? That's quite good if she doesn't run and is just starting out.
She's been running some on the hamster wheel, this was the first time either of us ran outdoors in quite sometime. We did run together, but I pushed her a lot. I would, for example, allow a walking break as we crossed a street then it was run to the next corner or other landmark (sometimes several blocks). Not enough of a break to even catch your breath let alone have your heart rate decrease.

Been a busy week though and haven't had a chance to follow up on it. We are kind of in budget lock down mode now and wife won't let me sign us up for a 2/4 mile run that is part of a craft beer and music festival in our town.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This week was my first attempt at running in nasty heat. Due to some family obligations in the evenings, the only time I could do my run yesterday and today was around 5:00pm. It was 94 degrees when I started yesterday, 97 degrees today (both record highs for early June)

Good news is that I was actually able to finish a 2.5 mile run at a decent page (around 11:00/mile). The bad news is that OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL RUNNING IN THIS HEAT SUCKS SO BAD. ;)

Gonna need to seriously work on my hydration during the day, I think.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 pm Gonna need to seriously work on my hydration during the day, I think.
When I trained for the marathon, it was during a rather hot summer and I was often doing 15+ miles in 90+ temps. I would freeze a water bottle, which generally would get me to the half-way point. From then on, the remainder of the route would involve running to parks that had drinking fountains so I could keep refilling the water bottle and not go too long so it gets really hot.

That would be hard to do where I live now; even if public drinking fountains were open again, the parks here don't have any so I'd be SOL. Or be running from gas station to gas station so I could buy fresh bottles of cold water.
Black Lives Matter
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Hey, perfect segue. For those of you who do longer distances (marathon +), what do you use for hydration while training? I do not have the option of stopping in places for refills.

I have been increasing my mileage, and even at 5:30am, it is 70+ degrees (F). Do you use a Batman utility belt thing,
Enlarge Image

or just carry one of those glove water bottles.
Enlarge Image

I am not really a fan of carrying things, but it is better than dehydrating. I guess I might prefer the utility belt, but does it chafe?

I normally run in shorts and a shirt (colder months obviously more), and just carry a key in the key pocket. no phones, no headphones, so this will be a big change.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm not going to be much help with this one, as I don't usually carry anything for hydration while running outdoors. When I've done long runs, I'll leave a cold bottle of water at the house, and plan my route to double back home somewhere in the middle. I have a belt with the bottle on the back, but haven't tried it. And I really don't think I'd like those hand held ones (and I'm usually carrying my phone while running anyway). I hope you find something that works well for you.

So my new treadmill is assembled, with the attached stand for my tablet. And my calf pain has subsided. So I'm going to try running a few miles tonight in my nice, cool basement. (Hopefully all goes well because I've GOT to get this training going as my next trip is about 10 weeks out). Silly that I'm excited about a few miles on a new treadmill, but that's better than running outside with the cicadas!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't run long enough distances to warrant a water bottle, although having one was tempting when running in 95+ degrees last week. We'll see if that changes if/when I start running longer.

I do wish I could find some sort of solution for my phone. I need to have it with me for both the Runkeeper app tracking and my music, but haven't yet found a comfortable solution that isn't just carrying it in my hand. I've tried armbands (which were a giant PITA to get in and out) and a couple different "running fanny pack" options. One was too small to fit an iPhone (it technically fit, but you had to absolutely force the zipper closed) and the other was wildly uncomfortable while running. I'll probably just stick to carrying it, as I don't find it terribly uncomfortable. Plus, I like being able to quickly access it if I want to change music or pause the run in the app without having to dig the phone out of a pocket.

Been considering an Apple Watch, but I have to do some research on app compatibility and how music works (as I don't really want to pay for a data plan for one)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I use a CamelBak when I need hydration on a run. Anything under an hour, though, doesn't require it.

Right now I use a SanDisk MP3 Clip Sport and blue tooth AfterShokz for my music needs while running. I track the runs with a Garmin watch. When the next iteration of watches release, I'm going to update to one with onboard memory so I can ditch the MP3 player and will only need the watch and headphones. They also make headphones with built in memory which would also work, but I want a new watch more than new headphones.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm I do wish I could find some sort of solution for my phone. I need to have it with me for both the Runkeeper app tracking and my music, but haven't yet found a comfortable solution that isn't just carrying it in my hand. I've tried armbands (which were a giant PITA to get in and out) and a couple different "running fanny pack" options. One was too small to fit an iPhone (it technically fit, but you had to absolutely force the zipper closed) and the other was wildly uncomfortable while running. I'll probably just stick to carrying it, as I don't find it terribly uncomfortable. Plus, I like being able to quickly access it if I want to change music or pause the run in the app without having to dig the phone out of a pocket.

Been considering an Apple Watch, but I have to do some research on app compatibility and how music works (as I don't really want to pay for a data plan for one)
I've had good luck using a FlipBelt for years. It's basically just an elastic double layer band that goes around your waist, with some cutout slots for you to slide in a phone or keys or whatever. Once you slide the phone in, you flip the belt inside out and it stays put.

It's comfortable to run with and the phone stays put, but it's not great for your desire to quickly access the phone. For that, I use my Apple Watch. I don't pay for the extra data plan. If you are near your phone, the watch data plan is useless. Even if you don't splurge for the Apple Watch though, you could still do a lot of phone functions with just headphones. Even if you don't get AirPods, if you get headphones that let you access Siri then you could do most of what you need just with voice commands.

The Apple Watch is pretty great for running, though. I use it for the heartrate tracking, keeping an eye on time, and managing my music while running.
disarm

Post by disarm »

A nonny mouse wrote:Hey, perfect segue. For those of you who do longer distances (marathon +), what do you use for hydration while training? I do not have the option of stopping in places for refills.

I have been increasing my mileage, and even at 5:30am, it is 70+ degrees (F). Do you use a Batman utility belt thing...or just carry one of those glove water bottles.
Enlarge Image
I started using the insulated Amphipod bottle from your picture once my runs got up around an hour or more...pretty comfortable because the strap keeps you from actually having to grip the bottle, and mine has a material on the back side of my hand that works well for wiping sweat. I'm not a big fan of using it for any longer duration though. It doesn't hold enough water for a longer run, and it does start to bother my hand/arm if I'm carrying after a while.

When I got into half-marathon distance/time, I started wearing an Amphipod bottle belt...more comfortable than having a bottle in my hand for two hours, and I could carry more water. I typically fill one bottle with water and the other with Nuun. The pouch easily holds my phone and ID, and it has room for gels if I need calories. It's definitely something that you have to get used to wearing, but I adjusted quickly and found it worthwhile.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm I do wish I could find some sort of solution for my phone.
There are arm bands that mount it on your biceps. It was an ok solution that I used for awhile, but like cases, they tend to be device-specific and at some point I just stopped buying them. Keeping my phone in my pocket works fine. Since I listen to audiobooks when I run, searching for music is not an issue.

While not necessarily in style these days, you can always wear an asspack. I used mine when I was training for the marathon, in addition to my phone, it was stuffed with run-friendly energy thingies.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Maybe I am missing something, but can't you just use running shorts with pockets? That's what I do (or did beore sciatica sidelined me and may well retire me from running).
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:13 pm Maybe I am missing something, but can't you just use running shorts with pockets? That's what I do (or did beore sciatica sidelined me and may well retire me from running).
Having the phone flopping around in a pocket bugs the hell out of me. It’s way more comfortable to just hold it.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:47 pm Having the phone flopping around in a pocket bugs the hell out of me. It’s way more comfortable to just hold it.
Fair point. I don't have that issue with my phone at all. My KEYS on the other hand swing back and forth like crazy and yes, it is annoying.
Black Lives Matter

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:47 pm
JCC wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:13 pm Maybe I am missing something, but can't you just use running shorts with pockets? That's what I do (or did beore sciatica sidelined me and may well retire me from running).
Having the phone flopping around in a pocket bugs the hell out of me. It’s way more comfortable to just hold it.
You can find some kinds of underwear with a pocket for your phone. I have used Runhit from Amazon (cheap chinese brand) that works fairly well. On longer runs, the seam bothers me but otherwise they are great.

Hydration-wise I prefer the utility belt. I don't think it would work for longer runs than a half marathon since it doesn't hold that much water. I also don't use a nathan but just have clip-on bottles. I could use 4 of them for longer than a half I guess but if they are on the side they push into my side and chafe. I need them in the back so they don't rub.I run with a belt all the time, though, since I run with a dog.
I have a camelbak but don't care for how much more I sweat while wearing it and it sloshes pretty badly for me. My wife likes the camelbak though she doesn't use the water pouch. Just puts a water bottle in the small backpack
raydude

Post by raydude »

I used to have an iphone 6 and that was ok wearing in my shorts pocket while running. But then I upgraded to the iphone 12 pro max with a thin case, and when I started running again I could not stand having that thing bounce around in my pockets. So I got this from amazon:
Universal Running Belt. No zippers, just an overlapping flap. I was a bit skeptical at first but the phone stays nice and secure when it's in the belt.

Funny enough, when I first started out with the belt I had to use the extender. I'm now at the point where I don't need the extender anymore and found that I actually have to tighten the belt up a little as today it started flopping a bit.

Oh, and I second the usefulness of an Apple watch. I have the Strava running app and I put the shortcut on my watch face. Just a few taps and it's recording my run.

I'm not at the point where I need hydration yet - running in the mornings and my max run is just 10k.