Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Running

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:23 pm Funny enough, when I first started out with the belt I had to use the extender. I'm now at the point where I don't need the extender anymore and found that I actually have to tighten the belt up a little as today it started flopping a bit.
Nice problem to have, isn't it?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It was 107 degrees here yesterday, tying the record for the hottest day ever in Salt Lake City…and it’s only mid-June.

Running in that heat ain’t happening, so afternoons are now out. I’m trying to make the switch to 5:30am instead, as that’s the only morning time I can do and still start work on time.

With early morning runs, that first mile as my body tries to wake up is TERRIBLE. Like really, really slow. But the second 1.5 miles usually feel really good. It’s the exact opposite of my afternoon runs.

Finding that I usually end up right around the same overall pace as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started back tonight after a week off. The week off wasn't intentional - I spent a couple of days packing which meant taking heavy boxes from upstairs to downstairs for several hours a day. This translated into being barely able to walk for 3 days my calves were so sore. So I took a rest - I learned awhile back not to try and be a hero and wind up injured.

At any rate, the rest did some good and I had probably my fastest pace in months tonight. When I got home, I realized I had also mistakenly put on my old running shoes, so I even did it with some worn out ones. :D
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:01 pm It was 107 degrees here yesterday, tying the record for the hottest day ever in Salt Lake City…and it’s only mid-June.

Running in that heat ain’t happening, so afternoons are now out. I’m trying to make the switch to 5:30am instead, as that’s the only morning time I can do and still start work on time.

With early morning runs, that first mile as my body tries to wake up is TERRIBLE. Like really, really slow. But the second 1.5 miles usually feel really good. It’s the exact opposite of my afternoon runs.

Finding that I usually end up right around the same overall pace as well.
The getting up early to run thing is primarily just consistency. It is great that you are doing that instead of just saying F it and giving up on running.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread:
1. set your running gear out the night before so you can grab it and go. This would include anything else you would take with you (phone, headphones, water, etc.) I just have a house key and the shorts/shirt.
2. even if you are feeling lazy, get up and go. you will not regret it. Be consistent.
3. get up early on a regular schedule (every other day, or however often you run). Be consistent.

I always feel so much better after the morning run. Quiet, no people, see lots of wildlife, no people, cooler, can think freely, no people, cand 'feel the run better. Oh, and no people. Even though it only gets into the 90's here during the day, 5am rise time is tho only time I can fit a run into the day, so it works for me. Or a least I made it work for me.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I give up. I was trying the couch to 5k program, which i always start with after a long period of not running, but my mid 50s joints can't handle it anymore. I took my bike to the bike shop yesterday to get a new chain and add a cycling computer. I'm going low impact from now on.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:36 am I always feel so much better after the morning run. Quiet, no people, see lots of wildlife, no people, cooler, can think freely, no people, cand 'feel the run better. Oh, and no people. Even though it only gets into the 90's here during the day, 5am rise time is tho only time I can fit a run into the day, so it works for me. Or a least I made it work for me.
I'm sensing a theme here... ;)
stessier

Post by stessier »

A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:36 am 3. get up early on a regular schedule (every other day, or however often you run). Be consistent.
FTFY. :)

Studies consistently show that going to bed and getting up at the same time EVERY day lead to better sleep and make it easier to wake up. I wake up about an hour before my run and take a little time to surf the web and download new podcasts before heading out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I wake up around 5 am every day, although I rarely haul my ass out of bed much before 6. Almost every day though, wife is at work when I get up, and kids are too young to be left home alone, even if they are still sleeping. And this is why I don't run or bike regularly anymore.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I am not a morning person, but I'm not drastically opposed to morning runs. What I have got to stop doing though, is running on an empty stomach. Since I'm not big on breakfast, the last couple morning runs have had me low on food/hydration and then it's just been terrible trying to get through my usual route. It's not a huge deal, but I not doing my training any favors when I'm working against myself.

So I've been running about 10 years now, and my nearly 50 yr old joints are definitely feeling it more. Not ready to give up the running for low impact exercise, but I can definitely sympathize.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I can't run within 3 hours of eating anything or I get terrible side cramps. Less intense exercise, like biking, doesn't cause this.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:44 pm I am not a morning person, but I'm not drastically opposed to morning runs. What I have got to stop doing though, is running on an empty stomach. Since I'm not big on breakfast, the last couple morning runs have had me low on food/hydration and then it's just been terrible trying to get through my usual route. It's not a huge deal, but I not doing my training any favors when I'm working against myself.

So I've been running about 10 years now, and my nearly 50 yr old joints are definitely feeling it more. Not ready to give up the running for low impact exercise, but I can definitely sympathize.
I wasn't a morning person (would go to bed at midnight, one, sometimes almost two AM) but have been getting up to run for about 9 months now. I get up every day at about 5:00 AM, even on weekends and vacation. Once you commit to doing it every day you just end up doing it every day.
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:39 am I give up. I was trying the couch to 5k program, which i always start with after a long period of not running, but my mid 50s joints can't handle it anymore. I took my bike to the bike shop yesterday to get a new chain and add a cycling computer. I'm going low impact from now on.
Nothing wrong with biking. I enjoy both.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It does also have the added bonus of a beer cozy right beside the headlight clip on. Although I had to move the ash tray over a bit further than I'd have liked to make room.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Since having to replace my destroyed, partial-carbon, very nimble bike, the replacement tank is very discouraging, any stiff breeze is a deterrent, like today, for example.

I think my wife bought me a new pair of Brooks running shoes. I sort of squandered my current pair walking in them. My joints, while increasingly feeble, are not my main issue...I get periodic painful calluses on the bottoms of my feet, which could take days to treat. One of the suckiest things about being diabetic is that foot problems are common and difficult to remedy. When the new shoes arrive, I'll make a point to use them for their intended purpose. Since my wife quit her second job, she's home more and I theoretically have more opportunity to go run (or bike).
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:54 pm It does also have the added bonus of a beer cozy right beside the headlight clip on. Although I had to move the ash tray over a bit further than I'd have liked to make room.
And that's why I don't lose weight biking. I drink less beer after a run than I do while biking (and after biking).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:16 pm I drink less beer after a run than I do while biking (and after biking).
After finishing the Chicago Marathon, in addition to the usual tables full of bananas, snacks, Gatorade, etc. was Goose Island 312. I told them had they given beer at all of the water stations, I'd have been motivated to complete the race much faster.

The other day I biked to the supermarket to pick up a 5L box of wine. Cashier couldn't believe I'd be carrying something so heavy on the bike. I told him, naaa, I'll fill up my water bottle and just drink the rest.
Spoiler:
actually, it fit in the pannier.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:34 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm I do wish I could find some sort of solution for my phone. I need to have it with me for both the Runkeeper app tracking and my music, but haven't yet found a comfortable solution that isn't just carrying it in my hand. I've tried armbands (which were a giant PITA to get in and out) and a couple different "running fanny pack" options. One was too small to fit an iPhone (it technically fit, but you had to absolutely force the zipper closed) and the other was wildly uncomfortable while running. I'll probably just stick to carrying it, as I don't find it terribly uncomfortable. Plus, I like being able to quickly access it if I want to change music or pause the run in the app without having to dig the phone out of a pocket.

Been considering an Apple Watch, but I have to do some research on app compatibility and how music works (as I don't really want to pay for a data plan for one)
I've had good luck using a FlipBelt for years. It's basically just an elastic double layer band that goes around your waist, with some cutout slots for you to slide in a phone or keys or whatever. Once you slide the phone in, you flip the belt inside out and it stays put.

It's comfortable to run with and the phone stays put, but it's not great for your desire to quickly access the phone. For that, I use my Apple Watch. I don't pay for the extra data plan. If you are near your phone, the watch data plan is useless. Even if you don't splurge for the Apple Watch though, you could still do a lot of phone functions with just headphones. Even if you don't get AirPods, if you get headphones that let you access Siri then you could do most of what you need just with voice commands.

The Apple Watch is pretty great for running, though. I use it for the heartrate tracking, keeping an eye on time, and managing my music while running.
Get an Apple Watch. You’ll never look back. And no data plan needed; it has onboard GPS so it will track your runs and provide all your data and just sync up with your phone when you get back home. Also, it has plenty of storage for music onboard - just make sure you’ve downloaded your playlists to it before you start your run. Really, it’s a runner’s best friend!!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm I do wish I could find some sort of solution for my phone. I need to have it with me for both the Runkeeper app tracking and my music, but haven't yet found a comfortable solution that isn't just carrying it in my hand. I've tried armbands (which were a giant PITA to get in and out) and a couple different "running fanny pack" options. One was too small to fit an iPhone (it technically fit, but you had to absolutely force the zipper closed) and the other was wildly uncomfortable while running. I'll probably just stick to carrying it, as I don't find it terribly uncomfortable. Plus, I like being able to quickly access it if I want to change music or pause the run in the app without having to dig the phone out of a pocket.

Been considering an Apple Watch, but I have to do some research on app compatibility and how music works (as I don't really want to pay for a data plan for one)
I've had good luck using a FlipBelt for years. It's basically just an elastic double layer band that goes around your waist, with some cutout slots for you to slide in a phone or keys or whatever. Once you slide the phone in, you flip the belt inside out and it stays put.

It's comfortable to run with and the phone stays put, but it's not great for your desire to quickly access the phone. For that, I use my Apple Watch. I don't pay for the extra data plan. If you are near your phone, the watch data plan is useless. Even if you don't splurge for the Apple Watch though, you could still do a lot of phone functions with just headphones. Even if you don't get AirPods, if you get headphones that let you access Siri then you could do most of what you need just with voice commands.

The Apple Watch is pretty great for running, though. I use it for the heartrate tracking, keeping an eye on time, and managing my music while running.
Get an Apple Watch. You’ll never look back. And no data plan needed; it has onboard GPS so it will track your runs and provide all your data and just sync up with your phone when you get back home. Also, it has plenty of storage for music onboard - just make sure you’ve downloaded your playlists to it before you start your run. Really, it’s a runner’s best friend!!
And once you get an apple watch get the app Work Outdoors. Easily the best app for running or biking I've found and it's a one time purchase of $5.99. Super customizable and tons of data.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm

And once you get an apple watch get the app Work Outdoors. Easily the best app for running or biking I've found and it's a one time purchase of $5.99. Super customizable and tons of data.
No experience with that one, but I’ve been impressed with the improvements and the development of the Nike Run Club app. Simple and functional with great Apple Watch face integration. It provides access to some really high quality training content, including coaching and guided audio runs with runners like Shalane Flanagan, Kipchoge, Mo Farrah and others. Even better, you play your own playlist and the guided audio content from NRC at the same time, and the app just fades your music into the background when the coaching guidance comes on. Pretty slick.

And it’s free!

(Disclaimer: I’m not an unbiased consumer when it comes to Nike :D )
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I tried NRC and it was pretty good but had a major flaw in that it never got my HR correct. It would have it at 180 at the start of a run. Then it would go down. Then randomly read 175 again. If I looked at the HR after running it would show numbers well below what it said while running and the max was nowhere near what it said while running. Since my wife and I run based on HR it just didn't work for me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My intermediate (6 month) goal has been to get my pace down to 10:30/mile by August. I’d been getting frustrated because I hadn't really even been getting close to that, with a previous personal best of 10:42/mile.

Apparently all the stars aligned this morning...10:19/mile. :dance:

Enlarge Image

I'm also finding that - against all my expectation - these 5:30am runs have actually started to become one of my favorite parts of the day. Feels really good to start off the day with something active like that. It's been a pleasant surprise.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Congratulations, Skinypuppy. That's a nice accomplishment. Not only is it much nicer to run at 5:30 but as you said it's a great start to the day to have that done so early.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Great job, Skinypupy! It’s always great to see improvement. Just remember, when trying to lower your pace, don’t over do it! Keep mixing in slower, recovery runs after you’ve done a speed run. Lots of serious runners say that you should be running 75% or more of your miles at a slow, gentle pace. It will actually make you faster on your fast runs and it will help save you from overuse injury, too.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Big running news out here in the Portland OR area: “The Providence Health & Services Hood to Coast and Portland to Coast relays are making a return in 2021. Following cancellation in 2020 due to the global coronavirus pandemic, the event's official website shared that the relay would make its return August 27-28.”

HtC is the biggest relay event around out here, starting at the top of Mt. Hood and running a 2 day relay race to the ocean, 200 miles away. Its cancellation last year was tough. It’s back this year, and I just found out my org at work is putting together a sponsored team.

Running HtC is kind of a miserable time. No sleep. Maybe one shower. Two and a half days driving around in a cramped van, usually getting lost and frantically trying to make it to the next exchange before your runner does. Two (or three) legs running the relay, while vans and other traffic scream by on crowded, hilly, dusty roads. Waiting at the exchange in the middle of the night, sweaty and shivering trying to find your van to pick you up. Ending the race at Seaside where the beach is inevitably cold and it’s almost always drizzling.

What’s not to like? All that aside, I love it, and I’m glad we’re back at it this year!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sounds pretty much the same as Ragnar. How many runners per team?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

12 runners per team. Very similar to Ragnar!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hit 200 total miles on this morning's run. 8-) Took 95 runs to get there. I expect that I will hit 300 miles much more quickly. For the first couple months, most of my runs were between 1 and 1.5 miles. Now my standard loop is 2.5 miles, with a 5K or two thrown in for good measure each week.

In looking at my top 10 runs (by min/mile pace), 8 of them have happened since July 1. So I guess that I am making progress, even though it doesn't feel like it some days.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:32 pm What’s not to like? All that aside, I love it, and I’m glad we’re back at it this year!
Sounds like something that you hate while doing it but love that you did it.

In what is probably the polar opposite of the HtC, my wife and I just signed up for the Need a Pizza and Beer Run to benefit Critter Crusaders. It's a one mile run where you run half a mile, eat a slice of pizza and drink a beer and then you run the next half mile and do the same at the finish.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:32 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:32 pm What’s not to like? All that aside, I love it, and I’m glad we’re back at it this year!
Sounds like something that you hate while doing it but love that you did it.

In what is probably the polar opposite of the HtC, my wife and I just signed up for the Need a Pizza and Beer Run to benefit Critter Crusaders. It's a one mile run where you run half a mile, eat a slice of pizza and drink a beer and then you run the next half mile and do the same at the finish.
That sounds awesome!!!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:32 pm It's a one mile run where you run half a mile, eat a slice of pizza and drink a beer and then you run the next half mile and do the same at the finish.
I would puke.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:25 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:32 pm It's a one mile run where you run half a mile, eat a slice of pizza and drink a beer and then you run the next half mile and do the same at the finish.
I would puke.
It was a small worry for me as well. I don't eat before running because I get really bad heartburn. Even longer runs I won't eat more than a slice of toast. This is so short, though, that I think I'll be fine. Also, no one is going for time here. Probably.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

We had the Need a Pizza and Beer one mile run yesterday and it was a lot of fun. We ran to the start (about 4 miles) and then waited about 45 minutes for the 'race'. I didn't throw up but someone threw up right in front of my wife. It was just that one guy as far as I know. They gave out 'prizes' for the top 4 . They were all trophies donated by people in charge of the race that they'd gotten in other things. After it was done we walked the 4 miles back home. Overall a fun race and about $4500 raised for Critter Crusaders.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:54 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:25 pm
I would puke.
It was a small worry for me as well. I don't eat before running because I get really bad heartburn. Even longer runs I won't eat more than a slice of toast. This is so short, though, that I think I'll be fine. Also, no one is going for time here. Probably.
Sounds like a fun run, but I can't eat anything hours before a run much less during a run because of nasty side cramps. I made the mistake of having an energy bar during down time in the Dance with Dirt race I did with Zaxxon over a decade ago, and paid for it badly. It was the reason we didn't win that race.
Black Lives Matter
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

Just a quick pop-in to say hi and share my running adventures. All throughout the early part of my life I hated running and could never really do it. In June 2007 I was in my mid-thirties, 240 lbs, with a three-year-old and another baby on the way. I had weighed as much as 290 but started changing some habits and was on a positive trend to a more healthy lifestyle, but I had no energy. I decided to tackle running since 1) I always admired people who could run, 2) I had never seen an unhealthy runner, and 3) someone had posted a link to a couch to 5K program. I did my first run on June 18, 2007 and I've been running ever since.

I decided to run in the morning as that was really the only time to do it, and that was actually critical in helping me wake up and set some healthy sleeping habits. Once I finished the C25K program I kept motivated by trying to get my time down for each run. I really pushed myself and would typically run 23-24 minute 5Ks. My record was 21 minutes and I could run a sub-7 minute mile. In one year of running I got down to 180lbs and kept up with my good eating habits... though I kept some vices, like desserts and other junk food. Running every day wiped me out, so I ran every other day and did a light weight routine on the non-running days with one day of complete rest.

In Fall of 2014 I suffered an injury while running which relegated me to an exercise bike and glider, and after some bad starts and stops I got back to running nine months later. At that point I was in my early forties and my days of 24/24 minute 5ks were over. I was clocking in 25-27 minute 5ks and I was disappointed in myself. In 2018 I noticed my performance was really taking a dive and I couldn't figure out why. After seeing various doctors, seeing cardiologists, and getting a catheterization, I was diagnosed with a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It's a condition that worsens when the heart is pushed so it explained why I hit a wall with my performance.

Shortly after my diagnosis I decided to keep running but I no longer ran for speed. I began to treat running as a zen-like meditative experience where I can appreciate my surroundings and be ever-thankful that I'm still able to enjoy running. It's become almost like a hobby and I mostly don't bother with looking at my time (though that has changed with the acquisition of a smartwatch). I still wake up a 5 am every day, run every other day (with a 4-5 mile 'long run' on Saturdays) and work out on the off days, and I'm happy with my 32-34 minute 5k runs.

I've just turned 47 and things are great. I gave up coffee in 2018 after another health issue and my weight is down to about 163; this confirmed that running isn't really a huge weight-loss remedy as eating habits have the biggest impact on weight. However, I can say with 100% certainty running saved my life. It helped me to set healthy habits and goals, gave me the energy to raise two kids and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and most importantly it gave me confidence to do anything. After all, if I can run 5 kilometers, I can do anything, right?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's a fantastic story, Benhur. Thanks for sharing.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Great story, Ben Hur. I’ll be 47 in November, and my running story shares some similarities with yours. I love running and love to hear about others whose lives have been impacted positively by their involvement in the sport.

Thanks for sharing!!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Very cool Benhur, thanks for sharing that. Gives me some hope that its sustinable. :)

I'm still working to get through the front end of that transition from overweight, unhealthy, and sedentary to something at least a little more healthy. While I hold no illusions of ever running 23 minute 5K's, I'm still pretty happy about being able to finish one each weekend at an average time (33-35 mins) for my age group.

Starting this entire process for the first time at 46 does feel like it ups the degree of difficulty a bit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:43 am Starting this entire process for the first time at 46 does feel like it ups the degree of difficulty a bit.
That's about when I started and things worked out well for a long time...I was setting PBs late into my 40's, but at age 50 I did a full marathon and while I didn't embarrass myself (4:30) the experience definitely killed my affinity for running and since have only done a single half (2015). My advice would be to back off if it starts becoming less fun, don't overcommit, and maybe respectfully decline if Zaxxon invites you to a team race. ;)
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

That's awesome, benhur. Well, other than the heart issue. But i't's fantastic that you could keep running even after that major setback.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Thanks for sharing benhur. Great to hear that running has been worthwhile despite setbacks. Glad you're continuing to enjoy the activity!

As for me - I've got marathon #24 coming up in a couple weeks. I'll be crossing Washington state off the list. If anyone has bar/restaurant recommendations for Seattle, let me know! :D
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Running the last 1K or so of a 10K today, bombing down a hill on a beautiful 72 degree morning, and Van Halen, "Jump," comes up on my playlist. That's about the closest thing to running bliss I can imagine. :D

Also, good luck, Baroquen!