Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pengo

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Post by pengo »

Anyone else watch this show? I was wondering when it was going to be back on and then it shows itself...

Watching ep1 of the latest season now, first few scenes weren't too funny but then the scene in the house...back to form ;)
Kelric

Re: Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Post by Kelric »

Apparently the cast were in Boston a week ago doing a rock opera. I wish I had known sooner than the day of the performance, I completely would have gone. :(
pengo

Post by pengo »

ep2 is better than the first, wicker chairs hehahah..
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

How in the hell does this worthy topic only have a few posts in it in 3 years!?

Arise, thread, and be discussed with the proper respect that you deserve!

If you liked Arrested Development, trust me, you need to watch this show. If you like Community, you need to watch this show (disclaimer: unless foul language and overboard non-PC topics turn you off, because this show has plenty of both).

The more I watch, the more I love it, and have probably watched at least 4 season's or more worth to date (still DVR'ing to get the older ones). It's absurdist humor, and can be extremely crude at times, so if you are easily offended, probably should not check it out. I consider it to be an "Anti-Friends" (the show) in some ways, with some Seinfeldian narcissism and selfishness thrown in.

Some trivia (although, did Google kill the concept of "trivia?" Guess so):
1. Two of the main characters on the show are in real life married to two other major characters. Who are they?
2. One of the main characters had a bit part in the sci-fi movie Serenity. Who was it, and what was the part?
3. Funniest episode? GO! :D

Also, I see Charlie Day being picked up more and more for big box office comedies after he starred in Horrible Bosses, but we'll see. He SHOULD be dammit. Every time he gets over excited and uses that hysterical high pitched voice, it cracks me up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was flipping through the channels at some point last year and stopped on an old episode of this show. About 60 seconds in I decided it wasn't for me. As I recall, someone was trying to figure out who took a dump in a bed.

I was reminded of the first time I decided I was going to watch this new "Sopranos" show everyone was talking about. Hey, ok, this is good...and then someone stomps a pregnant stripper to death in a parking lot.

<click>
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:I was flipping through the channels at some point last year and stopped on an old episode of this show. About 60 seconds in I decided it wasn't for me. As I recall, someone was trying to figure out who took a dump in a bed.

I was reminded of the first time I decided I was going to watch this new "Sopranos" show everyone was talking about. Hey, ok, this is good...and then someone stomps a pregnant stripper to death in a parking lot.

<click>
Yeah, it's definitely not for everybody, as nothing is sacred or taboo (in fact I think they go out of their way to incorporate the most taboo things you can think of into the script). And again, absurdist, crude humor, and everything that goes with that. Probably not a show you want to watch with your mom present, for instance.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

One of my favorite exchanges (Dennis is running for city Comptroller, and Charlie, as his semi-illiterate campaign manager, is videotaping a speech that he wrote for him)

Charlie: You got that script that I wrote? Grab that script.
Dennis: I've been meaning to speak to you about this. I can't read these words. They're not in the right order.
Charlie It's good.
Dennis: I think you might be dyslexic, bro. I'm not reading this.
Charlie No, no, no, please read it.
Dennis: I think you might be dyslexic bro.
Charlie Just read the script once.
Dennis: (angry) Okay you want me to read the script?
Charlie Yes. And action.
Dennis: I'll read the words you wrote. "Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot." What? "Taxes, they'll be lower. Sun. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do Philadelphia. So do." This doesn't make any sense!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Dee and Mac are married in real life. They had a baby and Dee's real-life pregnancy was written into the show.

Charlie and The Waitress are (were?) a couple in real life.

It's not trivia if you know it!
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Some trivia (although, did Google kill the concept of "trivia?" Guess so):
1. Two of the main characters on the show are in real life married to two other major characters. Who are they?
2. One of the main characters had a bit part in the sci-fi movie Serenity. Who was it, and what was the part?
3. Funniest episode? GO! :D
1. Mac and Dee are married. Charlie and the waitress are married as well!

2. Glenn Howerton gets euthanized.

3. Night Man maybe? Song kills me every time.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ænima wrote:3. Night Man maybe? Song kills me every time.
The one where they turn it into a broadway-esque play, or the one where they perform it in the bar with Dennis as Bowie?

Just last week I saw the episode where Charlie wrote "Day Man". In fact, I was cracking up walking down the street today at lunch when I suddenly got the image of Charlie hunched over his Casio keyboard in the dark, with silver paint on his face from huffing it. Dennis starts singing, and in the middle Charlie sprays some paint into the rag to sniff it when Dennis pulls it away and shakes his head disapprovingly (both singing "Day Man" all the while).

Dude on the street thought I was laughing at him as I bust out laughing for no apparent reason.

My favorite episode is probably "The Gang Gets Extreme: House Makeover" (the one where they take over the house of a Mexican family and essentially destroy it in trying to "remodel" it) That one has me howling/crying for mercy every time I have seen it. Hard for me to breathe during some of the more intense scenes in that one I laugh so hard.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue May 01, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:I was flipping through the channels at some point last year and stopped on an old episode of this show. About 60 seconds in I decided it wasn't for me.
I don't follow the show, but I have watched a couple of episodes. I didn't laugh the first few minutes of the show, but once the characters started to click for me, I remember chuckling a few times. Devito is gold no matter what he does though.
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote:I was flipping through the channels at some point last year and stopped on an old episode of this show. About 60 seconds in I decided it wasn't for me. As I recall, someone was trying to figure out who took a dump in a bed.
I've tried to give this show a try twice. I just don't get it. Apparently it's just not my sense of humor, and I loved Arrested Development.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gbasden wrote:
I've tried to give this show a try twice. I just don't get it. Apparently it's just not my sense of humor, and I loved Arrested Development.
Really? I'm glad you posted that....verrry interesting.

You don't get it or you find the humor crude and obnoxious? AR's humor was rarely crude, but both are "silly" IMO, and kind of in the same vein of humor based around a dysfunctional "family" and their continual problems cause by said dysfunction. To me, the main difference between the two is primarily the foul language and the controversial topics in IASIP, but obviously not true for everyone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Arrested Development is one of the greatest shows I've ever watched, though I can appreciate if you just picked up a random episode by flipping the dial it might not be nearly as humorous if you had been watching them from the beginning. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the toilet humor - particularly when said humor actually involves someone walking around carrying poop. As a one time joke...possibly. As the focus of an entire episode?

<click>
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Arrested Development is one of the greatest shows I've ever watched, though I can appreciate if you just picked up a random episode by flipping the dial it might not be nearly as humorous if you had been watching them from the beginning. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the toilet humor - particularly when said humor actually involves someone walking around carrying poop. As a one time joke...possibly. As the focus of an entire episode?

<click>
I'm not sure I have even seen that episode, but I'm going to guess that it's not representative of the series. Trying to recall if any kind of feces fetish is apparent in the other episodes, and that must have been a one off thing. Usually the subject of the episode is a lot more controversial than that!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think you can compare AR to IASIP. They really are quite different in their approach to comedy. I think there's room in this world for both types, but I can certainly understand why some folks would shy away from the raunch factor. I still can't get a few friends to watch South Park because they wrote it off as potty humor ages ago.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote:I don't think you can compare AR to IASIP. They really are quite different in their approach to comedy. I think there's room in this world for both types, but I can certainly understand why some folks would shy away from the raunch factor. I still can't get a few friends to watch South Park because they wrote it off as potty humor ages ago.
Just to clarify, I freaking love AR (watched all episodes at least twice), and I do put it slightly above IASIP, but after watching a few of the funnier IASIP episodes, that gap is closing.

South Park doesn't grab me at all for some reason, and I have nothing against satirical animated shows (love King of the Hill, Simpsons, Futurama was ok, etc). Probably the biggest turn off for me was those annoying voices! Much like Dora and her evil counter-part, Diego, I could definitely not sit through a whole show of that, just based on the voice acting.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually feel the same way about Charlie Day's voice. It sounds like he's wavering between puberty and adulthood constantly. He's my least favorite cast member because of that.
He won. Period.
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

I really like this show, but I've only watched it through season 5. The 1st season is pretty weak, IMO. It really takes off when Danny DeVito shows up in the 1st episode of season 2. I would definitely agree with Carpet_pissr's original description of it being the 'Anti-Friends', with Seinfeld-ian similarities, but not the Arrested Development or Community comparisons so much.

I loooove Charlie Day's character, I think he's absolutely hilarious. Him and DeVito steal the show for me.
mori

Post by mori »

My favorite episode would be Hundred Dollar Baby. Sweet Dee getting 'roid rage, "I will eat your babies bitch!"
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

When Danny Devito emerged, naked and sweaty from the inside of that leather sofa in the recent Christmas special I think I laughed harder than I have in a very long time. Not to mention thinking "WTF???!!"
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Anyone hungry for some milk steak?
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

only if you serve it up with some jelly beans (raw)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sometimes a show will be amusing but not great to a viewer. Then they'll stumble across an episode that completely knocks it out of the park and changes that viewer's opinion from "Heh, this made me chuckle" to "Dear God, I can't catch my breath!". Season 7, episode 09 of IASiP is that episode for me. I think I woke up my neighbors last night when I watched it on Netflix.

"How have these people NOT realized we're in their house!?" :lol:
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh, that is a good one.

I think the episode that had me waking my household with laughter was the Extreme Makeover one where they "fixed up" the house for the Mexican family. I remember my stomach hurting the next day the first time I saw that one...probably pulled some damn laughing muscle or something. :D

http://www.tv.com/shows/its-always-sunn ... r-1238049/" target="_blank
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

My wife has called a house ban on the show. It's cool, I've gotten to house ban some of hers as well but we're generally on the same page where it comes to most shows. Ones that can include a cruder since of humor don't have much of a chance of escaping her ban hammer (I'm so sorry, Family Guy... I still secretly watch you sometimes...)

For me, their shows are really hit or miss. It's almost like watching crazy-man improv. It would have been nice if any of the first three episodes I watched with her were good ones.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Gavin wrote:My wife has called a house ban on the show. It's cool, I've gotten to house ban some of hers as well but we're generally on the same page where it comes to most shows. Ones that can include a cruder since of humor don't have much of a chance of escaping her ban hammer (I'm so sorry, Family Guy... I still secretly watch you sometimes...)

For me, their shows are really hit or miss. It's almost like watching crazy-man improv. It would have been nice if any of the first three episodes I watched with her were good ones.
If my wife were to ever watch an episode with me, I can assure you she wouldn't like it, not because of some sense of moral rectitude that is constantly being mocked on the show, but due to her disliking pretty much anything that silly and over the top. I, on the other hand, can watch the Day Man/Night Man episode multiple times and crack up every time.

Also, I seem to possess the "can't be offended" superpower, which is almost necessary when watching this show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Raunchy humor is a very, very difficult thing to pull off. You have to have just the right recipe...and even then not everyone's going to like the taste. Most of IASiP I found amusing but not outright funny, whereas I doubt I've ever made it through an episode of South Park without requiring a defibrillator at some point.

But dames got no sense of humor so ya gotta cut 'em some slack. :ninja:
He won. Period.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Haha, perhaps that's right.

I have gotten my wife to watch very specific episodes of things like southpark. The Mormon and Scientology episodes were more informative than crude.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What are you guys on when you watch that show? I've never been able to finish one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote:What are you guys on when you watch that show? I've never been able to finish one.
As I said, dames...
He won. Period.
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

Thanks to Netflix I've seen seasons 6 & 7 since my last post. Season 6 was hit or miss, but I felt season 7 brought it back around, and was very funny, especially the episode Hepcat mentioned. So good.

This isn't my wife's favorite show, but she's watched every episode of it with me, some multiple times. She's a keeper!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Gavin wrote:My wife has called a house ban on the show. It's cool, I've gotten to house ban some of hers as well but we're generally on the same page where it comes to most shows. Ones that can include a cruder since of humor don't have much of a chance of escaping her ban hammer (I'm so sorry, Family Guy... I still secretly watch you sometimes...)

If my wife were to ever watch an episode with me, I can assure you she wouldn't like it, not because of some sense of moral rectitude that is constantly being mocked on the show, but due to her disliking pretty much anything that silly and over the top. I, on the other hand, can watch the Day Man/Night Man episode multiple times and crack up every time.

Also, I seem to possess the "can't be offended" superpower, which is almost necessary when watching this show.
My wife likes it. I came in the middle of one episode and hated it. On paper I should like it an it might be something I have to watch from the beginning to "get" but...eh.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

My pretty-much-still-Fundamentalist parents adore this show. Go figure.

I live in Philadelphia, yet I've never seen it. What is wrong with me?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Post by Default »

Holman wrote:
It took me 35 years to go see the Liberty Bell and I've never had a Pat's steak. That makes us natives, I believe.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:My pretty-much-still-Fundamentalist parents adore this show. Go figure.

You just blew my mind with both statements.

I find the first one to be HIGHLY irregular, and even makes me want to confirm that we are in fact, talking about the same show. If we are, then I would be interested in knowing whether your so called Fundamentalist parents are simply using that as a ruse, and are actually pot smoking, kinky sexin', hard liquor shot throwin' party animals behind a facade of conservatism.

The second statement...all I have to say to that is I flew to Philly for the first time last year for a one day trip to meet with one client that was downtown, and while there, after the meeting, explored the awesome and beautiful "birthplace of our country" area which I absolutely loved - saw Constitution Hall, the liberty bell, Washington's house, etc. BIG fan of American history here.

But highlight of trip? Doing the same exact drive by in the taxi, as they do at the beginning of the show, where you go past the stadium! :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Default wrote:
Holman wrote:
It took me 35 years to go see the Liberty Bell and I've never had a Pat's steak. That makes us natives, I believe.
I live in Chicago yet I've never shot at anyone or overdosed on heroin.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote:I live in Chicago yet I've never shot at anyone or overdosed on heroin.
Oh, you will. YOU WILL.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Holman wrote:My pretty-much-still-Fundamentalist parents adore this show. Go figure.

You just blew my mind with both statements.

I find the first one to be HIGHLY irregular, and even makes me want to confirm that we are in fact, talking about the same show. If we are, then I would be interested in knowing whether your so called Fundamentalist parents are simply using that as a ruse, and are actually pot smoking, kinky sexin', hard liquor shot throwin' party animals behind a facade of conservatism.

The second statement...all I have to say to that is I flew to Philly for the first time last year for a one day trip to meet with one client that was downtown, and while there, after the meeting, explored the awesome and beautiful "birthplace of our country" area which I absolutely loved - saw Constitution Hall, the liberty bell, Washington's house, etc. BIG fan of American history here.

But highlight of trip? Doing the same exact drive by in the taxi, as they do at the beginning of the show, where you go past the stadium! :D
:D

My folks are just cool enough to enjoy a bit of tame TV raunchiness. It helps that they are TV addicts from way back. I think they've always liked Danny Devito.

Philadelphia has a lot to offer. There's a hard-edged local attitude that doesn't always appeal to me, but we've had some good times here and met good people. It's easier to raise kids here than I thought it might be.

There really is history all over the place in Philly. I could walk you to a cemetery full of Continental Army soldiers just a couple of blocks from my house, and I'm not anywhere near the Independence Hall neighborhood.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Post by Default »

Holman wrote:
There really is history all over the place in Philly. I could walk you to a cemetery full of Continental Army soldiers just a couple of blocks from my house, and I'm not anywhere near the Independence Hall neighborhood.
I live up by Pennypack Park and it's cool to see the egrets and herons walking by the bank. I've even seen foxes and porcupines. When you walk through the park, you can even see the three hundred year old millraces and they are still finding Indian artifacts.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken