Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ska5fe

Re: Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Post by ska5fe »

One of the things that has struck me about It's Always Sunny is how much of a contrast its soundtrack is compared to its crass-ness (is that a word?). I find it quite enjoyable, and I think it brings more of a balance to the show than it gets credit for. My wife and I are fairly conservative, too, but we both like the show.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

This thread finally got me to start watching. I'm about a quarter into season 2 and finding it pretty hilarious. I doubt my wife would be into it, though.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ska5fe wrote:One of the things that has struck me about It's Always Sunny is how much of a contrast its soundtrack is compared to its crass-ness (is that a word?). I find it quite enjoyable, and I think it brings more of a balance to the show than it gets credit for. My wife and I are fairly conservative, too, but we both like the show.
I've noticed some really crass shows have great soundtracks (best example: Family Guy)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think what ska5fe's alluding to is that the soundtrack for IASiP is ripped straight from a 50's Leave it to Beaver style soundtrack. It's the complete opposite of what you would expect from a show like this.
Covfefe!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

hepcat wrote:I think what ska5fe's alluding to is that the soundtrack for IASiP is ripped straight from a 50's Leave it to Beaver style soundtrack. It's the complete opposite of what you would expect from a show like this.
You've heard Family Guy's sound tracks, right? Lot's of 50's stuff in there between scenes. I thought it was pretty similar.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When you wrote "great soundtracks" I was assuming you meant good music, not ironically funny music.
Covfefe!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

hepcat wrote:When you wrote "great soundtracks" I was assuming you meant good music, not ironically funny music.
Family guy has a wonderful variety of music. I did mean all of it for sure, some very intentionally good, but I brought it up because of their transition music which is basically in the same vein as Sunny's. Would you agree?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here in Covidtime I've been binge-skimming through whole seasons of IASiP. I've lived in Philadelphia since 2002.

My impressions:

1) Great writing and definitely worthy of all the memes it has spawned.
2) I love that the show treats the characters as total assholes but respects Philly and Philadelphians.
3) Has the series made it to the Gritty era and Philly Antifa? If so, I haven't caught up.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is this your first watching of the series, or is it a re-watch?

Pls further explain 3. as I don’t understand the question, and consider myself somewhat of an IASIP expert. :D At least a superfan.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:55 am Is this your first watching of the series, or is it a re-watch?

Pls further explain 3. as I don’t understand the question, and consider myself somewhat of an IASIP expert. :D At least a superfan.
First viewing!

Number 3 is really asking whether the show ever touches on current events. No important, just wondering.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nope, I wish. Pretty much every other hot button issue you could think of from the political to the social, but IIRC the only episode that deals specifically with Trump era issues is ‘The Gang Makes Paddy's Great Again". Surprising, really.

Side note - I HOPE this is good news, but I’m cautious bc the last season was relatively a real stinker IMO. Seemed very ‘mailed in’. Maybe they’ll get some new writers.

“On December 10, 2020, the series was renewed through an eighteenth season, which will make it the longest-running live-action comedy series in American television history.”
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

How many seasons in are you? Watching in order?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Side note - I HOPE this is good news, but I’m cautious bc the last season was relatively a real stinker IMO. Seemed very ‘mailed in’. Maybe they’ll get some new writers.
We’re going to fight. This last season had some really good episodes. The first five episodes were good (The Gang Gets Romantic, and The Gang Texts, in particular).

And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I doubt it. I said RELATIVELY and should have added AS A WHOLE. Totally agree there were a (very) few standout episodes.

Now if you came into this thread and wanted to bash the series, THEN we would be fighting. :D
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:47 pm How many seasons in are you? Watching in order?
I can't commit to watching every episode, so I'm working through a "best of list" of about 20 eps, plus randomly jumping into others if the title attracts me.

I'm into season 9.

I feel pretty sure I see Frank and Charlie at my grocery store every week.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:42 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:47 pm How many seasons in are you? Watching in order?
I can't commit to watching every episode, so I'm working through a "best of list" of about 20 eps, plus randomly jumping into others if the title attracts me.

I'm into season 9.

I feel pretty sure I see Frank and Charlie at my grocery store every week.
OK, this should be fun - take it or leave it obvs, but here's my "best of" episode list S9 forward. I'll assume you watched the first 3 of S9

Ep4: Timeshare. Must watch
Ep5: Mac Day. Must watch
Ep6: Gang Saves the Day. Eh. Definitely not a hard pass, but if you MUST skip some, I would include this one (though note that if you like the gimmicks that the show pulls every now and then, and/or the seriously amazing stunt work and editing work...then don't skip.)
Ep 7 Quarantine. Must watch, if for the pertinent subject matter alone. (and it's funny as hell to boot IMO) Opening sequence on that one with them singing Boyz II Men is worth it alone.
Ep 8 Flowers for Charlie Must watch
Damn, this may not work. I'm TOO much of a fan to do this! I'll try harder to cull!
Ep 9 Lethal Weapon 6 Not a huge fan of this recurring theme, so skip IMO
Ep 10 Beef squashing MUST watch.

S10
Ep1 Boggs Loved this one, did not like the women only reboot that comes later in a future season
Ep2 Group dating. Watch
Ep3 Psycho Pete returns. Meh. Skip it
Ep 4 Charlie Work. A IASIP classic. Must watch.
Ep5 Spies like U.S. Watch it for the stunts alone (I actually think they got nominated for something due to the stunts on this one). Worth it.
Ep6 Misses the boat. Watch it, mostly for Dennis' amazing car selling techniques.
Ep 7 Mac kills Dad. I honestly don't remember this one. Must not be memorable.
Ep 8 Family Fight. MUST watch this one. Maybe one of my top ten faves of the whole show. Worth it for seeing Keegan-Michael Key inserted into the gang's madness, but so many other funny scenes apart from him.
Ep9 and 10 I don't remember these as well, so not sure what that means. Asskickers United was pretty damn crazy though and maybe worth the watch just bc it was the season finale. I just don't remember it being amazing like some others.

S11
Ep1 Chardee McDennis II is good. I liked the first one a lot, MOTS I guess.
Ep2 Frank fall out window. Very good, maybe not great.
Ep3 Watch if you enjoy parody - they do the whole ep in the style of an 80's ski movie. I personally didn't dig it as much as other episodes, but they DO do a good job of recreating the 80's ski movie...genre.
Ep 4 Smut film. Meh
Ep5 Suburbs MUST watch. Hilarious.
Ep6 Being Frank. Don't remember it that well
Ep 7 McPoyle trial. Must watch.
Ep 8 Charlie Leprechaun. Loved this one
Ep 9/10 I didn't love these (Gang goes to Hell), but they are funny and again, season finale, so...

OK this is really not working. I am just going to list the ones that I very clearly remember being standout funny from here out
S12
Old Lady House
PTSDee

S13
Time's Up for the Gang
Gang Solves Bathroom Problem

S14
Dee Day
Gang Chokes

Hopefully that helps!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Dude.

Mac Finds His Pride. Like, come on man. :)
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I should start watching this show.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:41 pm Dude.

Mac Finds His Pride. Like, come on man. :)
Yeah, I know. Honestly I was not sure what to make of that episode. Was it serious? Deeeeeep parody? It felt weird considering the history of the series, and how... irreverently (that's not the right word) it dealt with the most serious topics imaginable. I actually remember trying to look it up after I watched it to see what I was potentially missing, or if there was something there I didn't pick up on.

I get the underlying theme that Mack was gay (especially during the later seasons), but wouldn't admit it/come to terms with it, soooo maybe it was just that? His spectacular outing? Any insights, please share!

Whatever it was, it was the oddest TV comedy episode I have ever watched in my life, and left me dumbfounded. :D So kudos to them for surprising me, at least!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 pm I should start watching this show.
Yes, YOU of all people, certainly should. I think it would be right up your alley.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How can you pass over Waiting for Big Mo, their version of Waiting for Godot but set in a laser tag competition? Or my personal favorite, the ever so wrong The Gang Goes to a Water Park? The latter still makes me laugh out loud while also making me feel like a horrible human being for doing so.

The show can go from surprisingly witty and intelligent one moment, to absurdly stupid the next...and makes both moments funny.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Only because he said he had to limit his watching to ‘the best’. Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here. I love almost every episode of every season, and I’ve watched every season’s episodes at least twice, some of them many more than that.

There are probably a total of 3-5 episodes total (all seasons) that I would recommend skipping altogether (shitting the bed being the worst/least funny one IMO) The rest are all comedy gold as far as I’m concerned.

I LIKED the laser tag one, but it’s just nowhere near the hilarity of Charlie Catches a Leprechaun for example. IMO, obviously.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:00 am There are probably a total of 3-5 episodes total (all seasons) that I would recommend skipping altogether (shitting the bed being the worst/least funny one IMO)
Many, many years ago (10+), I decided to sit down and watch Always Sunny one night as I'd heard good things. This was the episode that I tuned into as my introduction to the show.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:00 am There are probably a total of 3-5 episodes total (all seasons) that I would recommend skipping altogether (shitting the bed being the worst/least funny one IMO)
Many, many years ago (10+), I decided to sit down and watch Always Sunny one night as I'd heard good things. This was the episode that I tuned into as my introduction to the show.
Ha! Believe it or not, I remember that (how, I have no idea, as sometime I forget how old I am (not joking).

No one is asking, but here are *some* of my favorites without thinking too hard:

Extreme Makeover
Charlie Finds a Leprechaun
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
A Very Sunny Christmas
The Gang Hits the Road
Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs
The Gang Buys a Boat
Sweet Dee has a Heart Attack
Charlie Work
The Nightman Cometh
The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare
Family Fight
The Gang Gets Stranded (Tom Sizemore - see below)
The Waitress is Getting Married
Frank's Pretty Woman
McPoyle vs Ponderosa - Trial of the Century
Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award

And if you haven't seen the one with Tom Sizemore yet, for your viewing pleasure, here's a snippet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U1yb7P ... e=youtu.be
Best line:
Charlie: Dennis, what do we say in this situation?
Dennis: We say NO!!!!
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like the one in which Mac tells you about the dangers of smoking.
Covfefe!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I get the underlying theme that Mack was gay (especially during the later seasons), but wouldn't admit it/come to terms with it, soooo maybe it was just that? His spectacular outing? Any insights, please share!

Whatever it was, it was the oddest TV comedy episode I have ever watched in my life, and left me dumbfounded. :D So kudos to them for surprising me, at least!
I’m not sure that they intent of the episode was to be funny. It had funny moments - the escalating situation with Frank’s face had me laughing throughout the episode - but they are the side show (IMO).

Frank represents a stand-in for everyone in Mac’s life - they just don’t understand him. The thing that Mac needs desperately in life is just for someone to accept him and tell him that its ok. That’s what Frank finally “gets”.

But what makes the episode so outstanding is how out of place the ending is for the show, and the amount of work that actually went into that scene. It was beautiful. And that’s such an odd thing to say about THIS show.

As for the rest, the waterpark might be my favorite episode, especially the ending on the Thundergun water slide. And the Gang’s attempt to win an award. And Dennis being a five star man. And the Gang breaking Dee (which really highlights how despicable these people are). And when Dee has the baby. And the quarantine episode. And probably two dozen more.

It’s one of my all-time favorite shows.
Make up bags of change
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also recommend AP Bio if you like IASiP. Glenn Howerton is hilarious in it. Especially the first season before they soften his edges.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: S10
OMG. Once it gets going, is this episode just one long take?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Holman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:39 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: S10
OMG. Once it gets going, is this episode just one long take?
Yes, for the last half at least when the inspector gets there. It's also one of the best episodes, easily top 5.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

One I love that I haven't seen on anyone's list is "Who Pooped the Bed?". I'm not sure what season it's in but it's a classic mystery style episode, it has Artimus in it so it might be somewhere in season 7 or 8 or so.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:ninja: Given the previous posts, not sure if you're serious or not.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 am :ninja: Given the previous posts, not sure if you're serious or not.
I missed Carpet Pssrs post, but I disagree with him, it's a great episode. Not top 5, but good.

There are certain episodes of this show that I didn't like when I first watched them. I usually watch each episode right after they are released, but when I go back and watch them again I can appreciate them much more. At first I hated the 2 part cruise episode where they get locked in the brig, but I recently watched a rerun of it and I actually enjoyed it. So I think some episodes need to simmer a bit.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 pm
Ha! Believe it or not, I remember that (how, I have no idea, as sometime I forget how old I am (not joking).

No one is asking, but here are *some* of my favorites without thinking too hard:

Extreme Makeover
Charlie Finds a Leprechaun
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
A Very Sunny Christmas
The Gang Hits the Road
Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs
The Gang Buys a Boat
Sweet Dee has a Heart Attack
Charlie Work
The Nightman Cometh
The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare
Family Fight
The Gang Gets Stranded (Tom Sizemore - see below)
The Waitress is Getting Married
Frank's Pretty Woman
McPoyle vs Ponderosa - Trial of the Century
Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award

And if you haven't seen the one with Tom Sizemore yet, for your viewing pleasure, here's a snippet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U1yb7P ... e=youtu.be
Best line:
Charlie: Dennis, what do we say in this situation?
Dennis: We say NO!!!!
The world needs more of the D.E.N.N.I.S. System.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I finished the first season last night; it took me a few nights to process them. They really didn't pull any punches for S1, eh?

Abortion
Nazis
Cancer
Racism
Guns
Molestation

When the episode on underage drinking and sleeping with high school kids is potentially the least problematic, I guess that's saying something. :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:19 pm I finished the first season last night; it took me a few nights to process them. They really didn't pull any punches for S1, eh?

Abortion
Nazis
Cancer
Racism
Guns
Molestation

When the episode on underage drinking and sleeping with high school kids is potentially the least problematic, I guess that's saying something. :D
It gets worse, depending on how you want to define that. :P

Themes to look forward to:
Islamophobia
Disabilities (both physical and mental)
Welfare
Religion
Incest
Bullying
Illegal immigration/immigrants
Sex Offenders
Homelessness
etc

And that just gets you to Season 3! Also, those are pretty mundane themes, compared to some of the ones that follow like hunting people for sport, cannibalism, etc.

This is not a show for the easily offended, obviously. Also, not a show you will want to watch with your parents, FWIW. :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really think the first few seasons they were finding their voice and just went for pure shock. In later seasons, they go more South Park and include some thoughtful input instead of just trying to make you cringe.

The episode on the Me Too movement in one of the latest seasons, for example, is an all out subversive attempt to both explain why it's time, and also why it shouldn't be weaponized.

I laugh at IASiP...but I often then look for the message they're trying to convey. It's usually there...just buried under a bunch of dick jokes.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This thread really has me going back and forth on watching this show. It sounds like it NOT something for my wife but my curiosity grows.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:44 pm I really think the first few seasons they were finding their voice and just went for pure shock. In later seasons, they go more South Park and include some thoughtful input instead of just trying to make you cringe.
That's the thing - I didn't feel like the stuff is being presented as a way to shock, imho. It almost feels like they were trying to win a challenge to see if they could write a 22 minute comedy around subjects that are not prime-time comedy material. It's giving me the same feelings from when I watched You're the Worst last year. The characters were all awful, despicable people and yet somehow they were still relatable and somehow endearing.
This thread really has me going back and forth on watching this show. It sounds like it NOT something for my wife but my curiosity grows.
The first season is only 7 episodes and each subsequent season is only 10-12. Very low barrier to entry and what finally put me over the edge in deciding to start watching.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've decided that I love the McPoyles and that all McPoyle episodes are perfect episodes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 pm I've decided that I love the McPoyles and that all McPoyle episodes are perfect episodes.
Concur