Stargate: Universe

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Stargate: Universe

Post by dbt1949 »

Supposedly the ancients fled the Ori 1,000,000 years ago. Which means they had to be around as homosapien for longer than that. I find it hard to believe their physical bodies were identical to what ours are now. They showed holograms of them from 10,000 years ago and they still looked identical. Surely in a million years plus their bodies would have evolved to be something a lot different. I know they reached ascension but that seems to have been around 10,000 years ago.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IIRC the Ancients had a different organ or two and they could heal others with their mind or that internal organ or something.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

How's everyone else liking the show so far? I'm still enjoying it... but I'd like it if they could get past the "Lost" factor a little sooner and move on to something else. I'm not sure how many more episodes of them stuck in a dark, broken ship I can take.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm watching it almost entirely due to the cast, but so far the stories have been better than I was expecting. It could still use some real action to get me excited for the show each week, though. However, I'm fully aware that it's a tough balancing act as right now they're doing a pretty good job with the human side of the stories (something that very few sci fi shows get right). Focusing too much on "alien of the week" stories could tip it away from that.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daveman wrote:How's everyone else liking the show so far? I'm still enjoying it... but I'd like it if they could get past the "Lost" factor a little sooner and move on to something else. I'm not sure how many more episodes of them stuck in a dark, broken ship I can take.
+1
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

What they said. At least they didn't see the problem coming, have the problem and solve the problem all in one episode.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

I'm in agreement. I'm liking it and will watch it regardless, but seriously, DO SOMETHING. I'm enjoying the character-driven-ness of it but I hope stuff actually happens eventually. I like that they're making us ask a lot of questions and setting up a lot of stuff that they're not just tying up in a single episode. But come on!

The next episode has potential, I suppose. We'll see.

Everybody likes to compare this to Battlestar Galactica. Is this what Battlestar Galactica was/is like? Maybe it's a good thing I didn't watch it after all.
Wargus

Post by Wargus »

Battlestar Galactica was grittier.

This is voyager meets ds9 meets sliders meets galactica.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

What I'm wondering is when the writers will realize that they're ignoring a powerful tool in the ancient communication stones.

They're making such a big deal of Rush being the only qualified scientist on the ship. Why not put McKay (since Atlantis just landed) or Carter or anyone else on the Destiny via the stones to give Rush a hand?

(other than ruining the plot device, of course)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Wargus wrote:This is voyager meets ds9 meets sliders meets galactica.
Don't forget Lost! Nevermind the overall "bunch of people stranded in a mysterious place" sense... the scene on the desert planet where the Lt. is seemingly led to the vitally important lake bed by an image of someone from his past was practically lifted right out of one of the early Lost episodes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are we sure those are communication stones? He only claims they are. As I recall when he looked in the case it looked more of a nuke type thing to me. Why would the Icarus outpost have a case of communication stones anyways?
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Daehawk have you only watched the first episode? More than one person have used them by now. And the reason they had them at the base was exactly for this situation. For when they got the ninth chevron working and sent their expedition.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Rowdy wrote:What I'm wondering is when the writers will realize that they're ignoring a powerful tool in the ancient communication stones.

They're making such a big deal of Rush being the only qualified scientist on the ship. Why not put McKay (since Atlantis just landed) or Carter or anyone else on the Destiny via the stones to give Rush a hand?

I was thinking that during this last episode as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kyosho wrote:Daehawk have you only watched the first episode? More than one person have used them by now. And the reason they had them at the base was exactly for this situation. For when they got the ninth chevron working and sent their expedition.
Ohh ok then. Yes only watched the first one. have the next 2 on the DVR. Been catching up on all this season's Eurekas. Watched 4 yesterday :)
Odin

Post by Odin »

Interesting article on IO9. Summarizes some of the less complimentary SGU opinions about all of the characters (particularly the females) being stereotypes, useless, or both.

I not only can't say I especially disagree, but I'm having a lot of trouble working up enthusiasm for this show at all. I've watched all three of the episodes so far and liked them well enough, but they didn't exactly knock my socks off. I plan to keep watching it for a while, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan so far.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Sith Lord wrote:Interesting article on IO9. Summarizes some of the less complimentary SGU opinions about all of the characters (particularly the females) being stereotypes, useless, or both.

I not only can't say I especially disagree, but I'm having a lot of trouble working up enthusiasm for this show at all. I've watched all three of the episodes so far and liked them well enough, but they didn't exactly knock my socks off. I plan to keep watching it for a while, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan so far.
I've got the last two on Hulu. Not bothering to commit to a Friday evening hour and don't own a DVR.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daveman wrote:
Wargus wrote:This is voyager meets ds9 meets sliders meets galactica.
Don't forget Lost! Nevermind the overall "bunch of people stranded in a mysterious place" sense... the scene on the desert planet where the Lt. is seemingly led to the vitally important lake bed by an image of someone from his past was practically lifted right out of one of the early Lost episodes.
Not to mention the sirocco that leads him to the calcium is analogous to the smoke monster. And the kid is a lot like Hurley.

I'd call this Lost meets The Time Tunnel.

After the first two episodes, I'm hooked. Haven't watched the most recent one yet.
pengo

Post by pengo »

Spoiler:
them some big knockers
Kelric wrote:
Rowdy wrote:What I'm wondering is when the writers will realize that they're ignoring a powerful tool in the ancient communication stones.

I was thinking that during this last episode as well.
Spoiler:
the actors are busy or that would be too easy!
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

I like the show. They are obviously ripping off every other suspense sci fi drama released in the past few years.

dunno if after 4 eps I would start complaining about sexism... altho perhaps it's because I'm of the demographic that likes that chick with the huge rack... who happens to be militant and tough but curvy... nah... I don't see a stereotype in that role... having the camera positioned exactly at breast line.... nah nothing suspicious here.... hell that's prolly a reason I still watch Primeval course that's an assline shot for a different chick...anyways... skipping past the obvious cast make-up... which is the usual checklist of "hey have we stroked everyone's ego? cuz if not we can cast someone else to fill that gap..." ....

the major arc seems like an interesting premise... enough to continue watching and see where it leads.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What chick has the huge rack? I must investigate this.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Daehawk wrote:What chick has the huge rack? I must investigate this.
Darkness (ep 4).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well from looking online I can only guess its Julia Anderson.

Bikini pic link

That her? the nudes I saw would seem to point to her.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Probably her. Watch the episode.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Julia Benson

Not much on Google tho
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pengo

Post by pengo »

Don't think that pic is her? But her name is Julia Anderson/Benson.. Anderson is her name before she got hitched I've read elsewhere.
Rawrkan

Post by Rawrkan »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

She has got enormous talent.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I watched a handful of SG1 epsiodes when it first aired but called it quits when it was clear they weren't going to repeat the full frontal female nudity of the premiere episode. Damn bait and switch! :lol:

I tried this new one as something to watch between now and when Doctor Who comes back but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. (Although I did notice the aforementioned young lady and her enormous breasts last week. Great actress!)

I will say this: the Eli character is nowhere near as annoying as he could have been and serves as a pretty good voice for the audience. There's a writing term for that, I'm sure.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive only watched the first ep so far but Im hoping they find a planet of amazon women and take back a tribe or two with them. And keep the small tiny barely there outfits of course. Dont civilize them!
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I hope they stop ending each episode on a cliff hanger. :doh:
pengo

Post by pengo »

the removed the full frontal nudity in the re-release of the stargate sg1 first episode. also the actor that plays tealc, re-recorded all his lines..
qp

Post by qp »

Jeremy wrote:I watched a handful of SG1 epsiodes when it first aired but called it quits when it was clear they weren't going to repeat the full frontal female nudity of the premiere episode. Damn bait and switch! :lol:

I tried this new one as something to watch between now and when Doctor Who comes back but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. (Although I did notice the aforementioned young lady and her enormous breasts last week. Great actress!)

I will say this: the Eli character is nowhere near as annoying as he could have been and serves as a pretty good voice for the audience. There's a writing term for that, I'm sure.
Well you're missing out on 15 seasons of sci-fi fun then!
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Odin

Post by Odin »

qp wrote:Well you're missing out on 15 seasons of sci-fi fun then!
At least 12 or 13 seasons worth, anyway. SG-1 and SG:Atlantis were certainly two of the better sci-fi shows on TV in recent memory.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, my blog post today (linked in my sig) is about SG:U.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

I will support that the SG series is fun and easy to watch aside from the usual pointless one-off episodes and the lame-ass flashback episodes... First season was a bit shakey but the following 9 were pretty good for SG-1... SG:Atlantis same formula except for the inclusion of not 1 but 2 annoying characters.... the Dr. who turns into a whiney bitch randomly and the scientist who is a whiney bitch constantly... but one can tolerate it since the show does not take itself seriously. I prefer the SG:1 cast over the SG:A cast. SG:1 chars are simply easier to like even the replacement guy was easy to like.

SG:U... complete departure. bears no similarity to it's predecessors aside from the '"hop a gate. visit a planet. walk in 1 direction. PROFIT!!!" but the drama/pacing are all ripoffs of BSG/Lost. SG:U would seem to be an attempt to get REALLY SERIOUS! Stop Laughing!

considering it is the 3rd SG franchise... a reboot of the storytelling mechanics was a smart move. one huge central story arc. being stranded removes the option of ending an arc and "going home for the day" (lost). the cinematography is another shift, imo. keeping things in close and tight. makes a boring dialogue scene more tense and interesting (bsg).

right now... I have no idea what to think of the characters of SG:U. the only scene in the 4 episodes thus far that sucked... was the dumbass
Spoiler:
"confront hurley" scene.... here let's all surround the geek and act belligerent... yer on the inside! tell us what you know!!! now mutha fucka!!! we're reasonable!!! wtf was that? hurley shoulda cock-punched the skinhead guy...
pengo

Post by pengo »

not much happened this episode but I liked it nonetheless (for the cgi and music, really loving some of the music !)..
Spoiler:
on another forum we "guessed" right what the ship was going to do to replenish its power reserves (ie flying thru the star) The ancients wanted the ship to go on forever visiting seeded planets, so even with zpm technology they don't last forever. So what is in plentiful supply in the universe that you can depend on being available? Stars... Its your local celestial petrol station.
Spoiler:
Also when they were wondering how to catch the Destiny, I couldn't believe it wasn't so obvious to them that they could slingshot! I was yelling it at the TV.. You have this big planet infront of you.. and the Destiny previously used a gas giant to slow down hours before.. C'mon.. I guess coz I follow nasa/probes etc its obvious to me as its what they do to launch them out into outer space.
Last edited by pengo on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That was a pretty "cool" episode. I loved how they "solved" the problem.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pengo

Post by pengo »

at times rush is definately show signs of that lost in space evilish scientist.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I thought it was a great episode, and will second the comment about the music in particular. Random comments thus far:

- Where did the relationship between Chloe and Lt. Scott come from? My memory of the pilot episode is a little hazy but I don't recall any longing glances between the two of them.

- Since it's been mentioned before, I thought the solution at the end with the shuttle felt Stargate-style forced and obvious. The way the show has been paced so far I was expecting that to get resolved next episode.

- I didn't even think of the Dr. Rush twist at the end and I absolutely loved it. He's probably my favorite character of the bunch.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It feels more and more like BSG. The tone of the show, the situations and the episode titles are far more BSG than Stargate.

Yeah, I didn't see Lt. Scott and Chloe coming. It just seemed to come out of nowhere as there was nothing indicating it in the previous episodes, only Eli and Chloe. It felt unecessary. I figure it was a plot device to get Eli and Chloe together once he was gone.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Odin

Post by Odin »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, I didn't see Lt. Scott and Chloe coming. It just seemed to come out of nowhere as there was nothing indicating it in the previous episodes, only Eli and Chloe. It felt unecessary. I figure it was a plot device to get Eli and Chloe together once he was gone.
I don't remember the specifics, but I do recall the two of them starting to get close somewhere near the end of last week's episode.