Help us appease the Overlords - Ways you can help

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Skinypupy

Re: Help us appease the Overlords - Ways you can help

Post by Skinypupy »

After seeing the message about the Amazon fuckery, I had a bit of a panic attack. Losing our online home would honestly be really awful.

Donation is in.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Donated :horse:
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Does the $1920 on the banner represent 12 months of costs?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FP: Is it better for you to get monthly increments, or all of it up front?

Not sure how it comes out of your pocket, and am happy to adjust my input accordingly.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Seeing as how I'm here every freaking day... donated.
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 am After seeing the message about the Amazon fuckery, I had a bit of a panic attack. Losing our online home would honestly be really awful.
My thoughts ran the opposite. I would be so much more productive... but you guys are ruining that for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am Does the $1920 on the banner represent 12 months of costs?
12 months of costs, all numbers are in CDN. (Using google conversions as a rough estimate).

It's better up front, but I don't really mind - It's a blend right now of monthly donations vs lump sum. At the end of October I will renew for a year and post the invoice, remainder we can decide what to do with it (either tack on more months of server hosting, or do something with steam giveaways or whatever - I'm easy - up to the community to decide).

I'm amazed at how generous you all have been though, I certainly appreciate everyone pitching in with Amazon fucking us.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You appreciate us?

Sir, I believe you are confused.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:56 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 am After seeing the message about the Amazon fuckery, I had a bit of a panic attack. Losing our online home would honestly be really awful.
My thoughts ran the opposite. I would be so much more productive... but you guys are ruining that for me.
You are nothing but a drone to the Corporate Masters! Fuck the man, surf OO!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had trouble with the donation link this morning, so I went to send money directly from my paypal account. I was deterred when paypal wanted to charge me $3.99 for the privilege. A few hours later the donation link worked properly.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

FishPants wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:54 pm

We will see where we land donation wise, but I may throw in the difference and keep it where it is - the OVH monitoring/instant support is good when a piece of hardware craps out. SoYouStart would have more delays on repair, and I think the automated monitoring is less -- I'll need to send them an email and understand what the actual differences are in environments (vs older hardware and half the bandwidth).
I threw a quick one time donation just to cover, but I'm more than happy to have a decent monthly recurring donation to keep us on good hardware.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The timing on this couldn't be more terrible. I will literally start having panic attacks if any more money leaves my grasp before I get my finances in order. I'm already carrying a balance on my cc for the first time in years.

I realize no one wants to hear excuses, but I feel terrible.

I'll try to remember for the start of next month.

And please, I'm totally serious, no one tell me it's ok if I can't donate. It's just the timing....gah.

Post by Default »

threw in 75 usd
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Gateguard wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 am Donation made.

OO: The only soap opera worth paying for. :clap:
8 posts total in 14 years. I'll bet you have the highest cost per post ratio of anyone donating.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Gateguard

Post by Gateguard »

Moat_Man wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 pm

8 posts total in 14 years. I'll bet you have the highest cost per post ratio of anyone donating.
True, but the entertainment value from reading about the life and times of other members is priceless. :pop:
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 pm The timing on this couldn't be more terrible. I will literally start having panic attacks if any more money leaves my grasp before I get my finances in order. I'm already carrying a balance on my cc for the first time in years.

And please, I'm totally serious, no one tell me it's ok if I can't donate. It's just the timing....gah.

Don't feel the pressure man, deal with your own situation -- I think things are well in hand. I'll update the total but at first glance I would say we are covered for the year, any extra we can either tack on to the hosting costs (so 13 months vs 12 example) or something similar.
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FishPants wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:56 pm

remainder we can decide what to do with it (either tack on more months of server hosting, or do something with steam giveaways or whatever - I'm easy - up to the community to decide).
I would vote to either tack on months or hold it for next year (same effective difference.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 pm The timing on this couldn't be more terrible. I will literally start having panic attacks if any more money leaves my grasp before I get my finances in order. I'm already carrying a balance on my cc for the first time in years.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Your future donation will be just as useful in a month or 6 months or a year.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 am Your future donation will be just as useful in a month or 6 months or a year.
I'd think moreso. It's easy to motivate me to go to paypal when when we go PBS drive. I don't much think to just open my pocketbook out of blue.

I'm not much for the idea of monthly payment. I know others here seem to like the idea but they are not for me.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Donated yesterday, but the number doesn't seem to have updated in the last 24 hours (ish).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Gateguard wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:44 am

True, but the entertainment value from reading about the life and times of other members is priceless. :pop:
And a bagel thread. Don't forget about the bagel thread.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am Donated yesterday, but the number doesn't seem to have updated in the last 24 hours (ish).
I have a picture of fishpants rolling around in a big pile of our money, saying "suckers!!!"
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am Donated yesterday, but the number doesn't seem to have updated in the last 24 hours (ish).
Fishpants updates it manually, so it might take a bit.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 am
Fishpants updates it manually, so it might take a bit.
I don't think flights to Aruba have internet access. We'll have to wait.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm going to donate as well. That said I have another idea. How about we have a donation weekend soon? I will stream some gaming with some OOers. GTA/PuBG or whatever. Collect donation and the ones from that day I will transfer to FP.

I think it would be cool, an OO community day. We can also have voice chat amongst anyone who wants in discord which I would also stream. COuld even breath some new blood into the community. I know Harkonis is streaming as well and I bet would participate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm I'm going to donate as well. That said I have another idea. How about we have a donation weekend soon? I will stream some gaming with some OOers. GTA/PuBG or whatever. Collect donation and the ones from that day I will transfer to FP.

I think it would be cool, an OO community day. We can also have voice chat amongst anyone who wants in discord which I would also stream. COuld even breath some new blood into the community. I know Harkonis is streaming as well and I bet would participate.
I was thinking along those lines and then proceeded to get distracted by something shiny. There are gamers streaming themselves literally making millions of dollars a year. Is there something in between feast and famine where OO could make itself twich thing and maybe even get a small sponsorship like GOG gives to some people? I'm not part of that world other than watching youtube let's plays but I've always wondered how you get to monetize playing video game while broadcasting works. Maybe we could the famous MrFed to do a charity legal twitch once a year?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Rip wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm I'm going to donate as well. That said I have another idea. How about we have a donation weekend soon? I will stream some gaming with some OOers. GTA/PuBG or whatever. Collect donation and the ones from that day I will transfer to FP.

Stream a D&D game. Seems to be all the rage these days...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I know that Twitch has levels of partnership and that you have to accumulate a certain live viewership and number of followers before you can take tips, let alone subscriptions via Twitch. Still I would have a certain satisfaction in being able to donate my Twitch Prime sub (that comes with Amazon Prime... hehe).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Rip

Post by Rip »

You only need to reach affiliate to benefit from twitch prime subs. I've already done that as has Harkonis.

If I can do it we can assume almost anyone could. Reaching the Partner level is much harder but most people don't really need that to create a small revenue stream.

I invite any and all to my stream to talk about and/or to pimp your stream if for anyone who does stream. The more the merrier IMHO.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:06 pm (that comes with Amazon Prime... hehe).
:lol:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That seems like a neat idea. I'm not sure how tying it to FishPants/OO's budget needs really applies, but it's cool that you'd donate a day's worth of revenue to the server.

If it fits for me, I'd try to tune in.

Post about your "OO Streamer's Day" in in the Gaming in General forum, for sure.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's kind of a cool idea and arguably related directly to the origin of the site and our collective connection.
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

stimpy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am
I have a picture of fishpants rolling around in a big pile of our money, saying "suckers!!!"
fishpantless.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

These margaritas are delicious bitches!

I kid. Let me go take a look and get an update in the banner. Keep in mind I'm still working and also putting together funeral arrangements for my mother (only been a week today) -- so this stuff isn't going to update instantly.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok so according to my spreadsheet with both single lump payments and monthly setups with recurring donations (assuming they remain for 12 months) we are at approximately 2063.50 Canadian. Now when I go into my paypal (I've been populating my spreadsheet with the emailed values from paypal) I'm now realizing paypal is taking fucking 4-4.5% of the donations coming in as a "fee". Anyways currently my paypal balance $1466.81 (That's what it reports blending in the USD to CAD) I need to go back and update the values in the spreadsheet with the actual value post paypal graft.

I'm definitely moving the USD out to convert it elsewhere, I'll be damned if I give them a cut on forex as well. When did every company online become a fuckstick?
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok I just paid it on my visa, I will convert the money after the funeral and put the converted cash on the visa. We are now legit and renewed until October 21, 2019. Solid effort put in by everyone, and I appreciate the help.

Code: Select all

Order:
Number:	6697574
Date:	September 13, 2018 21:15:40
Expiry date:	September 27, 2018 23:29:59
Billing contact:

Dedicated Server(s)
SUBSCRIPTION	Domain	Quantity	Unit price	Amount
SP-64 Server - E3-1270v6 - 64GB - SoftRaid 2x2TB - 1 month x 12
ns552090.ip-142-44-139.net
$142.99 CAD
$1 715.88 CAD
vRack bandwidth 100 Mbps - 1 month x 12
ns552090.ip-142-44-139.net
$0.00 CAD
$0.00 CAD
sub-total	$1 715.88 CAD

SUBSCRIPTION	$1 715.88 CAD

Tax Details
Tax	Amount	Rate	Tax total
HST/TVH	$1 715.88 CAD	13.00 %	$223.06 CAD

TOTAL BEFORE TAX	$1 715.88 CAD
TAX	$223.06 CAD
TOTAL AMOUNT	$1 938.94 CAD
No.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FishPants wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm Ok so according to my spreadsheet with both single lump payments and monthly setups with recurring donations (assuming they remain for 12 months) we are at approximately 2063.50 Canadian. Now when I go into my paypal (I've been populating my spreadsheet with the emailed values from paypal) I'm now realizing paypal is taking fucking 4-4.5% of the donations coming in as a "fee". Anyways currently my paypal balance $1466.81 (That's what it reports blending in the USD to CAD) I need to go back and update the values in the spreadsheet with the actual value post paypal graft.

I'm definitely moving the USD out to convert it elsewhere, I'll be damned if I give them a cut on forex as well. When did every company online become a fuckstick?
I suggest using TransferWise.com to convert the funds at a decent exchange rate without getting raked over the coals.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm
FishPants wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm Ok so according to my spreadsheet with both single lump payments and monthly setups with recurring donations (assuming they remain for 12 months) we are at approximately 2063.50 Canadian. Now when I go into my paypal (I've been populating my spreadsheet with the emailed values from paypal) I'm now realizing paypal is taking fucking 4-4.5% of the donations coming in as a "fee". Anyways currently my paypal balance $1466.81 (That's what it reports blending in the USD to CAD) I need to go back and update the values in the spreadsheet with the actual value post paypal graft.

I suggest using TransferWise.com to convert the funds at a decent exchange rate without getting raked over the coals.
It's a bit more complicated but I usually do Norbert's Gambit using an ETF/Index fund that is cross listed in my brokerage account - but I'll have to do the math if the trade fees warrant that or not (might be cheaper to do that and use an alternate platform).
No.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

FishPants wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 pmalso putting together funeral arrangements for my mother (only been a week today)
Omg, I'm sorry to hear that fishpants. Handling my mother's estate was a full time job for over a month, and she didn't have much estate to speak of.

If you mentioned it elsewhere I must have missed it.

My sincerest condolences.