Help us appease the Overlords - Ways you can help

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: Help us appease the Overlords - Ways you can help

Post by FishPants »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 pm
FishPants wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 pmalso putting together funeral arrangements for my mother (only been a week today)
Omg, I'm sorry to hear that fishpants. Handling my mother's estate was a full time job for over a month, and she didn't have much estate to speak of.

If you mentioned it elsewhere I must have missed it.

My sincerest condolences.
I didn't really mention it elsewhere other than maybe in this thread earlier.. It's been 5 years of this kind of shit, save for my wife that pulled through cancer. I guess I'm a little worried about my emergency of the year and people being fatigued with "fuck this guy again?". I just keep doing my thing and hoping this shit stops for awhile, I don't want to think about what the cortisol has done to my body over the years.
No.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sorry, man. I missed it, too.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So sorry to hear about your mother. :cry:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man, I'm so sorry to hear about your tragedy. You've been a part of many of our lives for almost 2 decades now. You know you can always vent or seek solace here if need be.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So sorry. I can't even imagine the wreck I'll be a week after I lose a parent. I'm likely to curl up in to a little ball and disappear. Dealing with their affair? Impossible.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:49 am Dealing with their affair?
I think you forgot a pretty important s in that sentence. Yikes!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry about the troubles and sadness Fish.

My wife used to take Cortisol by mouth for many many many years. She had a tumor removed from her pituitary in the 80s and it f'd up everything. Cortisol was one of the helper pills.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

FishPants wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm Ok so according to my spreadsheet with both single lump payments and monthly setups with recurring donations (assuming they remain for 12 months) we are at approximately 2063.50 Canadian. Now when I go into my paypal (I've been populating my spreadsheet with the emailed values from paypal) I'm now realizing paypal is taking fucking 4-4.5% of the donations coming in as a "fee". Anyways currently my paypal balance $1466.81 (That's what it reports blending in the USD to CAD) I need to go back and update the values in the spreadsheet with the actual value post paypal graft.

I'm definitely moving the USD out to convert it elsewhere, I'll be damned if I give them a cut on forex as well. When did every company online become a fuckstick?
Just a reminder to those donating via PayPal, you can choose to cover the fees with the donation if you choose that option. There are also ways around the fees if you use a bank account and use the "transfer to a friend" method. Not sure if we want to get under PayPal's microscope though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, you can get an affiliate account off Fanatical too, and I'm guessing a lot of us buy stuff there.

As for Amazon, I've appealed once and got my account reinstated. But I don't know if your circumstances warrant a reinstatement.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Is there a better way to get you the funds Fishpants? I know Zax uses Amazon enough that when he collects for money drives, he just accepts amazon cards. Which of course he uses for himself, while providing the equivalent cash out of his own pocket for whatever the drive is for.

There are no fees associated with amazon gift cards as far as I know, and the process is about as easy as it gets.

Plus we can screw paypal out of their slice, which is a nice side benefit.

Of course that only works if you think you'll shop for hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars on Amazon. I don't do that much shopping there, so it wouldn't work for me in your place.

Just an idea (that I stole from Zaxxon).
DD*

Post by DD* »

I just added a monthly donation via PP, but if there is a better way I'm all ears.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, Amazon works great and costs zero dollars in fees, but is highly dependent upon Amazon being a cash equivalent for you.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Can we donate to Fishpants through Paypal as a gift? Or do they track that and only allow so much. I know my fantasy football leagues pays their fees through paypal and does so as a gift so no fees are taken out.
I guess that much money may draw attention but not sure about the rules on gift giving.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 pm Can we donate to Fishpants through Paypal as a gift? Or do they track that and only allow so much. I know my fantasy football leagues pays their fees through paypal and does so as a gift so no fees are taken out.
I guess that much money may draw attention but not sure about the rules on gift giving.
When I tried to do that, PayPal wanted to charge ME $3.99 (probably for currency conversion).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have left a package of unmarked Zimbabwean currency tied to the third support of the Rainbow Bridge. If it is not opened by 3:47 a.m., an incendiary device will destroy it.

:ninja:

On a more serious note, it's on my list to donate, but my finances are in a state of flux at the moment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Donated. It might make sense to edit the first post of this thread a bit more with all the most current info for a TLDR version.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't forget this, folks! The holiday season is fast approaching, and that was always OO's big money maker.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just tossed $20 into the pot. I got a windfall so I have a little reserve built up for my other expenses.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:05 pm FWIW, you can get an affiliate account off Fanatical too, and I'm guessing a lot of us buy stuff there.
This is a great idea IMO. Jetfred would fund OO for years alone! :p
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

It has been awhile -- are we doing ok in terms of funding?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

There's a handful of people who have a recurring payment that's sitting there until I get enough to pay another month's worth of server -- right now we are paid up until October 21st, 2019. I'd prefer we do the fund raising drive around Aug/september vs people having me on a recurring payment (but if that's what works I can roll with it). Just makes keeping track of my paypal account a little more tricky, I don't use it much but I've paid for a few things and if I'm not careful it defaults to trying to use the balance in the account.

Anyways we have until October, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any deals around that time as well -- maybe I can find something cheaper that is as reliable/resilient as OVH has been over the last number of years.
No.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I can certainly switch from doing recurring to just saving up for a yearly fundraiser. Doesn’t really make a difference to me on my end.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:I can certainly switch from doing recurring to just saving up for a yearly fundraiser. Doesn’t really make a difference to me on my end.
Ditto.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

3rded. I thought recurring would be better for you as it smooths things out but if it's not then I'll lump sum it during the telethon. Just let us know.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Yes please lump it, it won't cost me anything until October -- and I'd prefer not having to do a bunch of accounting around that time period to make sure I'm not spending your money on amazon shit.
No.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

FishPants wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 am Yes please lump it, it won't cost me anything until October -- and I'd prefer not having to do a bunch of accounting around that time period to make sure I'm not spending your money on amazon shit.
OK, I"ll hop on the bandwagon and kill my recurring payment.

Just make sure to nag us in October because I'll forget if you don't. :mrgreen:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I done canceled.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Exodor wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 am
FishPants wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 am Yes please lump it, it won't cost me anything until October -- and I'd prefer not having to do a bunch of accounting around that time period to make sure I'm not spending your money on amazon shit.
OK, I"ll hop on the bandwagon and kill my recurring payment.

Just make sure to nag us in October because I'll forget if you don't. :mrgreen:
A pledge drive in September! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

omg if anyone else gets as confused as I did on where to cancel the recurring payment, it's:
  • Gear icon
  • "Payments" in header
  • "Manage Automatic Payments"
  • Click on a blank nameless listing on the left with a grey icon
  • Cancel button!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am omg if anyone else gets as confused as I did on where to cancel the recurring payment, it's:
  • Gear icon
  • "Payments" in header
  • "Manage Automatic Payments"
  • Click on a blank nameless listing on the left with a grey icon
  • Cancel button!
Yeah, no one ever accused PayPal of being user-friendly, especially when canceling something.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I cancelled my recurring payment. Add my name to the list to nag during the begathon.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
RMC

Post by RMC »

Nag me as well.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 am Just make sure to nag us in October because I'll forget if you don't. :mrgreen:

:oops: :oops: :whistle:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will cancel it in the next couple of months and switch to annual as well. Yeah, I know. It's complicated.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Finally in a position to make a belated contribution for last year. Will re-up during the next 24-hour OO telethon.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Took a while, but I canceled my recurring in favor of saving for an annual contribution as well.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 pm Took a while, but I canceled my recurring in favor of saving for an annual contribution as well.
I was replying to your post asking how we are doing $ wise and umm I hit the wrong button and deleted it. :oops:

I need to get the fundraiser drive under way, I think October is our current renewal month.
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FishPants wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:20 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 pm Took a while, but I canceled my recurring in favor of saving for an annual contribution as well.
I was replying to your post asking how we are doing $ wise and umm I hit the wrong button and deleted it. :oops:

I need to get the fundraiser drive under way, I think October is our current renewal month.
I almost missed this. Say the word.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Moola Sent to the link. Is that the best way to do it still?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

RMC wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Moola Sent to the link. Is that the best way to do it still?
Yes I've had a number of donations come in, sorry I've been on vacation with the family and I was largely unplugged. Now that I am back in reality I will work through the numbers of what's been donated and get the banner updated in the next few days.
No.