Ceci n'est pas un troll

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

The Meal

Ceci n'est pas un troll

Post by The Meal »

Alright, we don't really have an issue with trolls in these parts, but I thought this was in interesting article (including a pretty nice litmus test) regarding internet trolls.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4668-Denver-W ... oble-Troll" target="_blank
The Trolling Litmus Test: Here are a few red flags you can look for to determine if someone is trolling. While there will always be exceptions (for example, I've known a number of autistic gamers and others on psychiatric medication who often came across like trolls even though they did not intend to), this should give you a general idea of what you're dealing with. As with all things, keep context in mind...
They are blatantly degrading and rude
They treat you and other commentators inferior
Their comment is off-topic
They take bits of what you write out of context to start a fight (make sure they didn't just genuinely misunderstand what you wrote)
They post very frequently, responding negatively at every opportunity
They lack common courtesy
They use profanity on a site where it is prohibited
They're vulgar
They use obvious tactics to prod people into fights
Their comments are not simply base critical thinking but are intended to belittle others
They don't actually state a point, they just disagree for the sake of disagreeing
They don't seem passionate about the subject, yet are determined to contradict
They try to encourage fights between other commentators
They use racial slurs, stereotypes, and other generalizations
They are unwilling to offer counterpoints if their views are challenged
Sometimes I catch myself exhibiting some of the grosser behavior on that list. I should do a better job of not acting that way.

Anyway, the article itself is interesting, if not entirely new material for most of us.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Ceci n'est pas un troll

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was going to try to hit each red flag in as short a post as possible but I just couldn't do it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I was going to try to hit... it.
fuk u all oo r looserz an i rok, so bye
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Take that french shit talk and go warship at obammas feet. You ann't gonna take away my FREEDOM OF SPEACH. All this anti-troll talk is just apart of the libral media agenda to ruin AMERICA with obamacare and PC correctness. Go to CAnanada and sing praizes of your commie president the're and leave us hear in peice with our GUNS and our opposite marage- the way it should be as mentioned in the bible!
fuk u all oo r looserz an i rok, so bye
he noes what Im talkin about!
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

The Meal wrote:.
They are blatantly degrading and rude
They treat you and other commentators inferior
Their comment is off-topic
They take bits of what you write out of context to start a fight (make sure they didn't just genuinely misunderstand what you wrote)
They post very frequently, responding negatively at every opportunity
They lack common courtesy
They use profanity on a site where it is prohibited
They're vulgar
They use obvious tactics to prod people into fights
Their comments are not simply base critical thinking but are intended to belittle others
They don't actually state a point, they just disagree for the sake of disagreeing
They don't seem passionate about the subject, yet are determined to contradict
They try to encourage fights between other commentators
They use racial slurs, stereotypes, and other generalizations
They are unwilling to offer counterpoints if their views are challenged
It's like a to-do list.

Sometimes I catch myself exhibiting some of the grosser behavior on that list. I should do a better job of not acting that way.

Anyway, the article itself is interesting, if not entirely new material for most of us.[/quote]
Popehat, a blog.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think so-called trolls are much less common than people think. You may have your exceptions, especially in more radicalized settings (communities based upon religion, politics, etc.). But by and large, I think those most often labeled as trolls are just those prone to inconsiderate, jerky, tactless, or overly negative behaviour. Some are aware of it, some aren't. But you don't see a lot of people who take every single opportunity to stir the pot, and with entirely malicious intent.

With respect (and realizing this is an older thread), do we really need a checklist for trollish behaviour? Did anyone discover web communities just yesterday? "Whoa... somethin' ain't right, here. That fella' seems like he's tryin' to be a jerk!"

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Sudy Nym wrote:I think so-called trolls are much less common than people think. You may have your exceptions, especially in more radicalized settings (communities based upon religion, politics, etc.). But by and large, I think those most often labeled as trolls are just those prone to inconsiderate, jerky, tactless, or overly negative behaviour. Some are aware of it, some aren't. But you don't see a lot of people who take every single opportunity to stir the pot, and with entirely malicious intent.
But trolls frequently don't take every single opportunity to stir the pot. People who go 5th gear, all the time, are just amateurs.
With respect (and realizing this is an older thread), do we really need a checklist for trollish behaviour? Did anyone discover web communities just yesterday? "Whoa... somethin' ain't right, here. That fella' seems like he's tryin' to be a jerk!"
Well, no. But some of us find this stuff interesting none the less, even though we're already awesome at recognizing trollish behavior. Well I am, anyway; I can't speak for any of you simpletons. Also,l this being published in a relatively mainstream outlet is in itself interesting.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Peacedog wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:I think so-called trolls are much less common than people think. You may have your exceptions, especially in more radicalized settings (communities based upon religion, politics, etc.). But by and large, I think those most often labeled as trolls are just those prone to inconsiderate, jerky, tactless, or overly negative behaviour. Some are aware of it, some aren't. But you don't see a lot of people who take every single opportunity to stir the pot, and with entirely malicious intent.
But trolls frequently don't take every single opportunity to stir the pot. People who go 5th gear, all the time, are just amateurs.
Well, no. But some of us find this stuff interesting none the less, even though we're already awesome at recognizing trollish behavior. Well I am, anyway; I can't speak for any of you simpletons. Also,l this being published in a relatively mainstream outlet is in itself interesting.
Son I have forgotten more about trolls than you will ever know.

:tjg:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:Son I have forgotten more about trolls than you will ever know.

:tjg:
That comes from living under a bridge :mrgreen:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.