New Crokinole Boards

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

wonderpug

Re: New Crokinole Boards

Post by wonderpug »

Another crokinole board thread spiralling into endless Norwegian folk dancing spam?! This has gotten out of hand more than rickrolling, I swear. :-|
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Did anyone else notice the weird rock, paper, scissors game they played at 34 seconds into the clip? I need to know how it is played, earwig, a human, and an elephant is more entertaining then everyday rock paper scissors.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

miltonite wrote:Did anyone else notice the weird rock, paper, scissors game they played at 34 seconds into the clip? I need to know how it is played, earwig, a human, and an elephant is more entertaining then everyday rock paper scissors.
I really wanted to get the whole thing on video...it was totally bizarre. They did a "Ready, Steady, SHOOT" and then started pointing in all different directions...up in the air, at their heads, at the person to the right or left or across the table, and then they would look at where everyone was pointing, and then all agree that one of them would be the guy to start. It was really strange...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Apparently, the bot didn't sell enough crokinole -- they're now on Tanga! It's the Mayday Games version and comes complete with a link with more information on its rich and varied history.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

OK, so now I am in possession of a 5th crokinole board. My wife found it while out walking the dog last night, it was sitting in someone's garbage to be thrown away.

Admittedly, it's a carrom board with crokinole on it, not a nice custom board. But I now have five boards.

Do I have a problem?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Yes, but I always love coming across people with absurdly specific and unique hobbies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Did you angrily pound on the door of the household that threw away a working crokinole board, demanding answers?
Black Lives Matter.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Not a problem. And I love that your wife was scavenging stuff for you.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Anyone know where I can get one in the US for $100?
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

miltonite wrote:Anyone know where I can get one in the US for $100?
If I were looking to get a first crokinole board, this is the one I would go with. It's running at $150, so it's quite a bit above your price point, but it is in stock and it has free shipping.

(And yes, I'm making this recommendation knowing of the issues that some folks have had with the Mayday boards. This is still the route I would go if I were going to be getting my first board, simply because of the price point and size.)

If you go with Muzzies or Hilinski or Mr. Crokinole boards, those are all custom made boards and they carry both a higher price tag as well as a 6-8 week wait for the boards.

I just checked, and Toad Hall Toys out of Canada is still selling the first board that I ever bought. It is really about as bargain basement as you can get, but it is a totally playable game board. It's a bit undersized compared to a tournament board, but that may not bother you. When I bought mine about 3 years ago it cost me about $80 US plus shipping. They had them in stock and I got it in about a week.

Otherwise, boards show up on Ebay all the time. I bought one from the seller with the user ID Allinet, and it's a good, solid, hand made tournament size board. His boards run $150-$170.

[Edit:] Otherwise otherwise, if you just want to try out Crokinole, pick up a cheap Carrom board. There's one on Ebay that just went up with a $0.99 starting bid, or a $40 buy it now price. While not as pretty or fast as a custom board, it could be a good way to try it to see if you like it before investing hundreds of dollars.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Only in the weird, wacky world of crokinole would you find a crokinole board for sale that was once given to Dr. Phil.

[Edit:] And I just looked more closely...that board is in the shape of a decagon! I've never seen a board shaped like that! I may have to bid on this one...
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/573" target="_blank

He SAYS he's talking about computer games, but he's looking at you, Hentzau, and that look in his eyes says CROKINOLE...
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Crokinole is getting some love over at Penny Arcade:
http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26" target="_blank

Be warned that it also happens to be "Semen Week" (not crokinole-related), so... viewer beware.

I'll just post it:
Tycho wrote:For Christmas this year, I gave the gift of Crokinole. It’s a board game in the “action” or “dexterity” vein, which means that unlike most games that have risen to prominence in the global Eurogame revolution, at no point does one amass wheat.

It’s “like” a lot of games: it’s a round version of shuffleboard, for example, provided that there is also a basket, like basketball. Maybe it’s more like Darts On A Flat Plane, with concentric values of five, ten, fifteen, and twenty for the center hole. People shoot for the center until an opponent’s piece is on the board, at which point every shot needs to contact an enemy piece or get thrown into the literal garbage. Not really, but you might feel that way. Because pieces must come in contact with one another, and because their position on the field determines their value, the board becomes a fractious nation state in which escalating recriminations are the norm. You can play it 1v1, but in the 2v2 Team Mode I so crave, each player only has six shots total, which invests each “input” with tremendous import. The rules don’t really contain the game. The game is about trying to manage the dynamic outcomes generated by simple rules.

There is a lot to like about Crokinole, which is (at its core) a game about trick shots with brutal penalties for failure. But it’s also a game that isn’t impossible to build completely from scratch if you know somebody who is into wood. Plus, because the game is like a hundred and thirty-six years old, everyone owns it. I’m not a free culture champion, or anything of the kind; still, the idea that this joy engine belongs to every person warms a body deep down.
I think I also saw him shouting the game's praises from the Twitter rooftops recently.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sent the link in that article that outlines how to make a board to my father. He's retired, he has a woodshop, I have a birthday coming up...well...in July...but that's still "coming up" technically.

:ninja:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You know, I forgot to mention that I've always played it with ring-shaped pieces. Same size as the solid ones which seem to be more common, but I've only ever played it with ring pieces and it's what I learned to play with. I never knew there were solid pieces until when I was older. It adds an interesting dynamic to the game, as not only can you sink a hole, but in certain rare circumstances, your piece can end up around the poles, making it the game's highest value. Likely a less common variation. I've still got my pieces somewhere.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like a cross between crokinole and American carrom.

*although...
Alternatively, the game may be played with ring-shaped pieces with a central hole.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the ones from the Carrom page look like the pieces we played with.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like Ralphie trying to convince his parents that he needs a Red Ryder BB Gun. I've sent my father the schematics for a board AND I've dropped some hints that I'd REALLY like one for my birthday this year...but so far, no sign that my suggestions have fallen on anything but deaf ears. :cry:
Covfefe!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

hepcat wrote:I feel like Ralphie trying to convince his parents that he needs a Red Ryder BB Gun. I've sent my father the schematics for a board AND I've dropped some hints that I'd REALLY like one for my birthday this year...but so far, no sign that my suggestions have fallen on anything but deaf ears. :cry:
You'll shoot your eye out!

Actually, someone else will shoot your eye out. Seriously - crokinole discs flying at your face at high speed. It happens. A lot.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Boudreaux wrote:
hepcat wrote:I feel like Ralphie trying to convince his parents that he needs a Red Ryder BB Gun. I've sent my father the schematics for a board AND I've dropped some hints that I'd REALLY like one for my birthday this year...but so far, no sign that my suggestions have fallen on anything but deaf ears. :cry:
You'll shoot your eye out!

Actually, someone else will shoot your eye out. Seriously - crokinole discs flying at your face at high speed. It happens. A lot.
When did you see me play? :?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hentzau played Crokinole with me when I was drunk years ago.

...it didn't end well.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote:Hentzau played Crokinole with me when I was drunk years ago.

...it didn't end well.
I'd given him more credit for intelligence than that. However, he seems to have learned his lesson because he stayed well back when CR and I were learning how to play.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Remus West wrote:

...it didn't end well.
I'd given him more credit for intelligence than that. However, he seems to have learned his lesson because he stayed well back when CR and I were learning how to play.
Dude. I played Crokinole with him drunk to keep him away from the BBQ grill and lighter fluid. I didn't want Seppe's place to explode.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:
Remus West wrote:

...it didn't end well.
Dude. I played Crokinole with him drunk to keep him away from the BBQ grill and lighter fluid. I didn't want Seppe's place to explode.
...took almost two months for the eyebrow to grow back.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:
Remus West wrote:

...it didn't end well.
See, it is things like this that simply confirm my original observation of your intelligence and question my own as I allowed a Hepcat post to cause me to question. Always giving of yourself for your friends.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Crokinole got a lot of love at PAX East over the weekend. At one of the Q&As, one of the Qs was about what new board games someone should try if he's played a ton and is looking for something new, and Tycho recommended crokinole.

And then it was also featured at the closing ceremonies as part of the Omegathon competition.

Check it out here, crokinole starts about two minutes in, just after the Canadian national anthem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

(Putting on my crokinole rules lawyer hat...)

He did make two mistakes in the rules explanation for the game. From the official Rules of Crokinole:

1. He said that your shot, if there are no opposing pucks on the playing surface, must be completely within the 15 circle. This is not correct. As long as your puck is within or touching the 15 circle, it is a valid shot.

2. He later on made a shot that was outside of the 15 circle when there were no opposing pucks on the board. He said this shot was legal because they had a puck within the 15 circle already, but that is incorrect. The puck shot, or any other pucks that it makes contact with, must be within or touching the 15 circle.

Other than that, it was a fun little demo. Thanks for the link!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tanga has the new Mayday crokinole boards for about $100 shipped right now. That's about $50 off the normal price. Good for the next 22 hours or so.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:Tanga has the new Mayday crokinole boards for about $100 shipped right now. That's about $50 off the normal price. Good for the next 22 hours or so.
See comment to El Guapo in other thread.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I finally pulled the trigger. I am so weak when it comes to board games.

hentzau

New Crokinole Boards

Post by hentzau »

Welcome to the family, Miltonite. Your first board is only the beginning.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will!
Black Lives Matter.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Looking up rules at work today I stumbled upon this. Something I did not expect I would find.

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I played this for the first time yesterday. I enjoyed it very much. I did very poorly the first few rounds, then got a little better with the flick and was actually able to aim some shots instead of just getting lucky.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

So my board is coming in by Wednesday. I have my tin of carnauba wax and towel ready to go. Gonna wax it twice before playing and after every 12ish games.(as a few sited recommended) The main question I have right now still sans board should I go with the wooden pegs around the 15 ring or go with the screws and surgical tubing?

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

miltonite wrote:So my board is coming in by Wednesday. I have my tin of carnauba wax and towel ready to go. Gonna wax it twice before playing and after every 12ish games.(as a few sited recommended) The main question I have right now still sans board should I go with the wooden pegs around the 15 ring or go with the screws and surgical tubing?
Good luck in resisting the urge to start playing before you start waxing!

I have played games with both wooden pegs and screws and tubing, and I far prefer the snappier game with the screws and tubing. That's not to say that the wooden pegs won't get you a good game in, depending on how tight a fit they have, they can be pretty lively. But the screws and tubing are a lot more fun (IMO). You could start with the wooden pegs, and then add the screws in later. But it's pretty much going to be a one-way trip, because once you enlarge the holes with the screws, then you can't go back to the pegs without some modifications to the holes or pegs.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Got my Crokinole board in today and got it waxed. Explained the rules to my dad and then started playing. I hit 3 in the 20 hole my first game and ended up scoring a total of 100 points in the 1 game. So we started playing again and he is beating my be 10 points. Now that he has a feel for the game we are usually scoring 5-10 points a game. I am confident that I will be able to beat him.

I am hooked. I think I will be able to stay at 1 board for the time being though. I will post pics tomorrow although it is not a piece of are like hentzau's are.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sigh. Ok. You guys win. I'll definitely put a crokinole board on my birthday & christmas wishlists this year.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Bwa-ha-ha!!!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It is time! The prophecy has come true!

(Can you crokinole experts recommend a crokinole board for me to put on my wishlist? Not too expensive, but not crap -- looking for that sweet spot of affordability & quality)