JUSTIFIED ON FX!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: JUSTIFIED ON FX!

Post by Skinypupy »

Just watched an interview with Joelle Carter. It's so weird to hear her without the Southern twang.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought it ended on the bittersweet notes that the show was built on from the beginning.

I realized while watching the show that I've never really been a fan of the Boyd character as the main foil for Raylan. Don't get me wrong, I think Goggins did a fantastic job breathing life into him, and he had some stellar moments. But for me, the show has always been about the "villain of the season". Mags Bennett (arguably the single greatest villain the show...hell, any show...ever produced), Quarles, Drew Thompson (although not really a villain, he was the main focus of an entire season...even if we didn't know it until almost the end of that season). Those were the best seasons for me because these characters felt like they belonged. They felt like natural inhabitants of Raylan's world.

Boyd, on the other hand, always felt like a one note character who was simply there to give us some history on Raylan. I always felt he should have died in the first season...hell, the first episode or two. And from what I've read about the inside story of his character, that was the writers' intent initially. Still, I appreciate that Goggins is such a great character actor that he was able to make me forget (most of the time) how inorganic to the show I felt he could become, how forced his character's motivation and personality changes could be.

But ending it the way they did felt like a return to the way things were. It was like a restoration of the natural order. And I'm happy for that.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Quick question about this show. I'm in the middle of the first season and was not expecting a show that had standalone episodes. Don't get me wrong, I am still enjoying it, but I was wondering if that pace is kept throughout or if the world starts to close in a bit later on. Does the series developing an overarching storyline or does it remain a series of independent episodes?

The answer will have no bearing on whether or not I continue watching. I'm all in.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote:Quick question about this show. I'm in the middle of the first season and was not expecting a show that had standalone episodes. Don't get me wrong, I am still enjoying it, but I was wondering if that pace is kept throughout or if the world starts to close in a bit later on. Does the series developing an overarching storyline or does it remain a series of independent episodes?

The answer will have no bearing on whether or not I continue watching. I'm all in.
Very much an overarching storyline.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

There's going to be a central story line each season. Sometimes I missed the standalone eps of the first season but that doesn't detract from how good the show was. Enjoy the ride!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's really good news. I love shows where episodes don't wrap up neatly at the end (Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, Breaking Bad) and it looked like Justified was unfortunately not going to be like that after the first 6 episodes. Each crime is totally unrelated and solved in 60 minutes. Good to know that it goes beyond that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah, definitely an gigantic over-arching storyline. Each season has its own storyline, but they're all connected. I can't think of a specific example either, but even the standalone stories likely toss out information that will appear in future episodes or seasons as part of the main story.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I bought a three pack of the Raylan Givens novels by Elmore Leonard. I'm looking forward to starting those too.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Never mind. Looked em up.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Each season also wraps up the storyline for that particular season but as Smoove alluded there are always complications and consequences that carry over to future seasons.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm very much hooked on this show. I'm in the middle of season 3 and it's been a very fun ride. Timothy Olyphant is excellent. I'm almost glad I waited to watch this show so I can keep binging.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Very few actors can pull off swagger without making it into parody. Olyphant is near the the top of that list.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Raylan is a unique individual who seriously has no fear. He's a badass, but he makes it look believable. He'll get into a fight and lose because he's not that big. But he's not afraid to tell you how things are going to be, even if he's all alone.

And Wynona is so damn gorgeous.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Raylan issues facts, not threats.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Heh
naednek

Post by naednek »

KKBlue wrote:The finally was good. Such great writing and acting. Great set ups for next season. There was a line I was trying to remember... the lawyer said. See if I can get it.

Ok I finished Season 4 the other day.
Spoiler:
It ended with the Nicky Augustine (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0259171 ... _fc_cl_t11) being shot up in a limo at the airport by the very guy he wanted to kill (son of the Mob leader)

I started season 5, and lo and behold, he's there at a cafe with Boyd and Mr. Eyebrows. Did I miss something in between?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

My recall is not working at maximum, seems like forever ago with the show.

There is a chance of a flashback or maybe linking the new season story another way with a flashback of sorts? Your recall/spoiler was the season ender. Maybe the writers are looking to help the viewer into the next season with more story?

Someone will respond with better recollection. Until then... enjoy the ride!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
raydude

Post by raydude »

I don't believe it's the same guy.
Spoiler:
In the Season 5 Premier Boyd and Wynn Duffy meet Picker. He's the right hand man of Sammy Tonin. He does bear more than a passing resemblance to Nicky.
naednek

Post by naednek »

weird, he just has that same sarcastic tone and look.

According to IMDB he's only in season 4, so on I go.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
raydude

Post by raydude »

Yup, different actor too.

But there is one difference:
Spoiler:
Picker has slightly more hair.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Just had to pop into the thread to note I am now watching this. About 5 episodes in and loving it.

I'm a huge Walton Goggins mark and thanks to wanting something quick from Amazon that I only needed to try prime free for 30 days to get, I have 30 days to watch as many as I can. At this point I am afraid I may get hooked and buy in for a year. :coffee:

Hopefully I can catch up on the thread between episodes, but don't be surprised to see me respond to things from a while back.
Rip

Re: Justified ON FX!

Post by Rip »

YellowKing wrote:KeriKitKat, you'll get a kick out of this.

We're watching the third episode last night and my wife exclaims, "Damn, he's hot."

Indignant, I say, "You do know he's in his 40's right?"

She replies, "You're almost in your 40's too."

Ouch.

(For the record, I am 35. She has a very liberal definition of "almost.") :x
Don't look now but she is right.

:ninja:
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Okay, Okay... I'll post a picture minus the hat and boots.

"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

For KK (though he looks younger here):

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Just had to pop into the thread to note I am now watching this. About 5 episodes in and loving it.

I'm a huge Walton Goggins mark and thanks to wanting something quick from Amazon that I only needed to try prime free for 30 days to get, I have 30 days to watch as many as I can. At this point I am afraid I may get hooked and buy in for a year. :coffee:

Hopefully I can catch up on the thread between episodes, but don't be surprised to see me respond to things from a while back.
you won't regret it. we're all just livin' in Raylen Given's world.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Finished the first season which was awesome. Rolling through season two now.

"Fire in the hole!"
Rip

Post by Rip »

Done with two. Been great so far. I kinda wish religious Boyd would have been around longer though.

The only tiresome thing is the focus on Raylan's love life, but I guess you need something to get the women to watch it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Raylen's love life leads him down some dangerous roads though. So don't write those side stories off just yet.

Boyd's stories were often the weakest part of the show for me, post season 2. It always felt like they were trying too hard to shoe horn in a character that by all accounts was supposed to disappear early on in season 1. But the great Walter Goggins was so damn good that I was able to overlook that, for the most part.

p.s. Season 2, and explicitly Mags Bennet, was the best season they ever had. Margo Martindale's performance was freakin' amazing. Although you're about to meet another great character in season 3...albeit not as great as Mags.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wynn Duffy is awesome. I know that's not who you were talking about, but more Wynn is always welcome.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good point, I forgot about that tanned god.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Good point, I forgot about that tanned god.
And ultimate surfer dude/pet groomer extraordinare.
Black lives matter!

Rip

Post by Rip »

"If you boys don't get you asses outta here right now, well. We all know what Rip's gonna do don't we?"

:horse:

It is like I paid for platinum level on a kickstarter to get my name in the movie. :D
Rip

Post by Rip »

Season 3 finished.

That Raylan sure has gotten good at disarming people.

:D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought you'd like that.
Spoiler:
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

and now season 4.

I'm flying through this.

This season didn't have as good of characters but I was into the story. The ending came off well.

Now I have to start thinking of whether I can resist buying season 6 since it doesn't appear to be free with Prime.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Done with 5, now to see if I can wait out finding season 6 without paying for it.

I had read a lot of bad stuff about season 5 but I thought it was pretty good. From Dewey putting the Anus on people to the young Crowe boy it all played well to me.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Finally got tired of waiting and bought Justified Season 6. Wow, good so far half way through.

Highlight so far was the safecracker Lewis blowing himself up.

That was friggin awesome!!!

Looked for a video clip but had no luck.

edit: Oh and....

"Great things can happen when you sow seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes."

:clap:
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

IceBear wrote:For KK
I never said thank you. 8-)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just finished this series. What a fantastic show. I never really felt it slowed down and it finished strong. It got rid of the idea that Boyd was a noble criminal who had a code. He was an evil man who looked out for himself and wasn't afraid to kill innocent people to get what he wanted.

Great show. Very sad that it's over.
Rip

Post by Rip »

McNutt wrote:I just finished this series. What a fantastic show. I never really felt it slowed down and it finished strong. It got rid of the idea that Boyd was a noble criminal who had a code. He was an evil man who looked out for himself and wasn't afraid to kill innocent people to get what he wanted.

Great show. Very sad that it's over.
If you haven't seen Deadwood put it on your list next.

I'm rewatching The Unit and watching House of Cards now.