Desktop Dungeons

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Archinerd

Re: Desktop Dungeons

Post by Archinerd »

I've been using the same general tips cico has and don't have nearly as much accomplished as he does. Which leads me to one of two conclusions, either he's holding something back or he's better at this game than me.

Either way, I'm still having fun with it, but I have been ramping down my play time with it. I only do about 4-7 games a night now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Archinerd wrote:I've been using the same general tips cico has and don't have nearly as much accomplished as he does. Which leads me to one of two conclusions, either he's holding something back or he's better at this game than me.

Either way, I'm still having fun with it, but I have been ramping down my play time with it. I only do about 4-7 games a night now.
Ditto to everything. Except I don't suspect he's holding anything back. If I had to guess, I suspect he retires more often and earlier than I do when it's not looking good. But honestly, I never thought about it much. I also suspect I'm not nearly careful enough managing my fog of war for maximum benefit. Which falls in the "he's better at it than I am" category.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

There is 1 thing is do hold back occasionally, the mouse click.

The temptation is to click the mouse on the graphic of the enemy when u have settled into a pattern. But it may not be a best choice.

E.g. In a lot of occasions, when I am level 4, I instinctively want to click on a level 6 enemy. Sometimes without thinking too much about it. But because of luck/hp bonuses/enemies composition/runes, I could actually kill a level 7 creep!

In case you go away with the impression that I had an easy time,

1) When I was around the stage most of you guys were (unlocked all normal classes), I had tons of retire. And most times, I retire after exploring a quarter of the map and not finding the god or glyph I was aiming for because I know that I cant make it. So yes lots of retire.

2) The crypt is one of the easiest maps. Try unlocking it and roll for a glowing guardian altar near spawn point for auto win.

3) The library is key to success. After I had unlocked the libraries. I am finding it easier and easier to complete the maps because some of the items really help. This must be paired with the crypt so that you can have better starting gold.

So dont get discouraged. I most probably spent way too much time on this, been toning down lately but there were 2 days where I spent at least 6 hours each day on this (it was the difficult period where I think Goo is at now, when I had just unlocked the 3 normal tiers of heroes).

If I have time (very rare) I may record a play through on video and post it on UTube. It may be therapeutic for me as well as give some insights into how I tackle the creeps.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

45) Crypt - Human/Bloodmage/Glowing Guardian

As promised, I actually made a video of this =). Did it on my 3rd attempt. Uploading to youtube now, slow upload speeds :(. Will post links once done.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks very much for the tips and now the video Cicobuff. I've been coming home and playing a few games, then a few more after dinner before doing something else.

So far the pattern is the above with me getting frustrated yet again and closing the app. I'm stuck on Assassin and Bloodmage on normal. Not sure why I can't finish Assassin, but Bloodmage I haven't figured out how to make him work yet.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Ok the video.

Notice that I made a couple of mistakes and still managed to beat the level, e.g. trying to take on a vampire that was too high in hps, and getting manna burned by a high level wraith after miscalculating his physical resistance.

Notes: With Glowing Guardian, sometimes it helps to clear some low level creeps to get the attack bonus up. As long as you dont overshoot the level and save it for the big XP bonus it will be alright.

I was lucky with the items. You may have a worse time because I had unlocked a lot of items and a 125 bucks starting cash dont hurt :). So I suspect your play may need to be more precise compared to my run.

First 5 minutes, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdqOri7tFL0

The next 7 minutes, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgsslb2ZxIo

Edit: In case you are wondering why i transmutted blood to manna glyph, because worshipping Glowing Guardian disallow usage of that.

If you wait a bit, the video quality may improve as youtube is still optimizing the upload.

ok, zzz now. wayyyyy too late over here.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Heheheh. I just won as a level 1 character using no potions and killing zero enemies aside from the boss. Incidentally, killing a boss at level 1 brings you up to level 6.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Assassin/Human/Pact Master/Medusa (possibly the easiest to win against)

I haven't seen anything yet that would allow a level 1 character to beat a boss, unless, maybe, the rez glyph and enough shadows to keep the mana up. That would be a long process though. I assume it's something else.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

It's probably possible with a rogue since they have inherent dodge chance, but I did it with a Sorcerer.
Spoiler:
At level 1, BLUDTUPOWA deals 2 damage and restores 1 mana. Casting a BURNDAYRAZ takes 6 mana and restores 12 health. Since 12 health is enough for 6 mana using BULDTUPOWA, you can cast BURNDAYRAZ an infinite number of times as long as you have 13 health to start with.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah. Cool. Forgot about Sorcerer. I almost wrote that I hadn't opened it yet, until I remembered it's the tier 2 mage class.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Zurai wrote:Heheheh. I just won as a level 1 character using no potions and killing zero enemies aside from the boss. Incidentally, killing a boss at level 1 brings you up to level 6.
Heh, grats on that one. I think I tried something similar but had to give up when I ran out of explore squares. 4 dmg per shot takes quite a long time :).

46) Crypt - Human/Transmuter/Pactmaker
47) Library - Human/Tinker/Jehora
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Bloodmage/Dwarf/Pactmaker/Goblin Boss - Normal Dungeon

Finally. Been having a lot of trouble with this class, so it feels good to finally finish it. Nothing fancy. Rez glyph (never needed as it turns out), Healing glyph and fireball glyph. Dwarf + pact = 146 hp at level 9. But what really won it for me was the poison dagger I bought. Never had to use a potion either. Remembered to avoid the blood pools unless healing was needed. It really was pretty easy, although I did need to use my resources more cautiously.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thief/Goblin/Dracul/Dragon+Warlock bosses - Library (for the very first time).

Somewhat ironic that a cash run using a goblin thief ends with my first successful run of the library. Poison glyph and fireball were major players in the win.

Unlocked the Orc race finally.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paladin/Dwarf/Pactmaker/Medusa+Snake - Library.

Unlocked Transmuter.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Nice going there Goo!

48) Factory - Human/Wizard/Dracul unlocks crusader class. This is one tough cookie, retired like 10 times.
49) Library - Human/Crusader/Pactmaker - This was weird, I had no more health but it takes only 1 more hit to kill the last boss. Almost clicked retire but wanted to see what happens if I tried slaying. It says with one last smote, you slayed the monster before your mortal life ends. And was awarded the clear!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

From the description, it sounded like Factory would be tough using a wizard. Congrats on doing it.

Monk/Dwarf/Taurog/Snake Pit

Unlocked Gorgon class.

Finished in 9 minutes, and 180 hp.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

GreenGoo wrote:From the description, it sounded like Factory would be tough using a wizard. Congrats on doing it.

Unlocked Gorgon class.

I just got the Gorgon too. I figured it would be a cake walk thru the snake pit with it too, but the stone gaze seems to hurt more than help. I even got what I thought were good things, the Dwarven Miner God, Bluebeard, something that gave me health for destroying walls and something else that game me +1 mana for destroying walls. Still nothing, ran out of Mana and couldn't beat the snake leader.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Archinerd wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:From the description, it sounded like Factory would be tough using a wizard. Congrats on doing it.

Unlocked Gorgon class.

I just got the Gorgon too. I figured it would be a cake walk thru the snake pit with it too, but the stone gaze seems to hurt more than help. I even got what I thought were good things, the Dwarven Miner God, Bluebeard, something that gave me health for destroying walls and something else that game me +1 mana for destroying walls. Still nothing, ran out of Mana and couldn't beat the snake leader.
The Gorgon seems hardest to use too.
I used the following to complete the factory with it.
1) Bump up the death gaze percentage with conversion of glyphs
2) Leave as much unexplored squares as possible and yet level up as much hps as possible (very dependent on map setup)
3) Lucking out on resistance items helps tons
4) At around level 6 whittle the boss that causes less damage with poison and exploring
My guess is that everyone also uses this approach.

Is there a more effective way to play Gorgon?

Edit:

50) Library - Gorgon/Jehora (Library 18/18 yippee)
The gorgon was hard to use. I did about 5 retires before having a great spawn to complete this. And was a real close one with 0 potions left and near death.

51) Snakepit - Human/Fighter/Taurog
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Assassin/Dwarf/Holy God/Crypt - Yeah, cheezed it, and just barely made it even so.

Unlocked vampire.

Edit: Thief/Goblin/Pactmaker/Snake Pit
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Warlord/Dwarf/Dracul/Library

Unlocked Half-Dragon.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Goo seems to be on a roll here. =)
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I've been playing this as well. I've unlocked all the tier three classes, orc, transmuter, crypt, library and snake pit so far. Got my first crypt win yesterday (with taurog rather than glowing).

This game is definitely challenging,but it does yield eventually to the careful and persistent.
No sig, must scream, etc.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, things are starting to open up for me now.

Half-Dragon/Taurog/Snake Pit.
Half-Dragon/Pactmaker/Library
Half-Dragon/Glowing Guardian/Crypt
Berserker/Human/Taurog/Snake Pit
Fighter/Human/Pactmaster/Crypt
Rogue/Dwarf/Pactmaster/Snake Pit
Priest/Dwarf/Pactmaster/Snake Pit
Fighter/Dwarf/Dracul/Library
Thief/Goblin/Glowing Guardian/Crypt
Priest/Dwarf/Taurog/Library (had 198 hp and 121 attack at the end. Fought both bosses at once. Attacked each one time before drinking a potion and then doing it again)
Wizard/Elf/Mystera/Snake Pit
Sorcerer/Elf/Mystera/Snake Pit
Wizard/Elf/Mystera/Library
Sorcerer/Elf/Pactmaster/Library
Wizard/Elf/Mystera/Crypt
Sorcerer/Elf/Glowing Guardian/Crypt (Interesting mix of fireballs and melee)
Rogue/Dwarf/Dracul/Library
Rogue/Dwarf/Taurog/Crypt
Monk/Dwarf/Taurog/Library (No potions drunk)
Monk/Dwarf/Taurog/Crypt (No potions drunk)
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Nice to see that you got over that initial hump.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anyone still playing? I put in a few games each evening. Been struggling a bit with the Warlord and Bloodmage, although I recently did the snake pit with a human warlord after many attempts.

I have only tried the factory once, just to see what it was like. Once I finish Snake Pit/Library/Crypt with each of the "normal" 12 classes, I'll start fooling around with the vampires and gorgons. The half-dragon was just silly powerful, so I ran through everything but the factory in 1 attempt.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

I have stopped playing for a while and is now back to playing Dragon Age: Origin as well as Heroes of Newerth. I think the main reason is that I seem to have unlock the unlockables and have only the "grind" (not that it is not a fun grind) to go through to complete all classes on all maps; plus I think I better finish DA:O before the DLC expires.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Nah, as predicted I'm done with this one now. I didn't unlock most of the game but I'm not even really curious about what I'm missing. Time to move on.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Archinerd wrote:Nah, as predicted I'm done with this one now. I didn't unlock most of the game but I'm not even really curious about what I'm missing. Time to move on.
Yep, was more of a time waster than anything else anyway. I'm still giving it a play or 2 each night.

Not too excited to figure out how to make gorgons work, especially with the destroy wall glyph still costing 8 mana for them. It's another layer of puzzle/mana management that doesn't interest me much.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, I just unlocked the transmuter class - apparently, beating normal with it does nothing - I killed the boss and every critter in the dungeon, and knocked down 90% of the walls, but no 'you win' message. Now, all I need to do is get an altar for that dwarf stone cutter god, and the transmuter is pure gold.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Zombie thread - arise!!

Just an FYI: Preorders for this thing are now available - here.

Differences between the freeware version we all played and beta/retail - here.

I still enjoy firing up a round of this game, because I play it off my flash drive from anywhere. I'm also a sucker for unlocking things. Curious to see the additions since the old version I've been carrying around.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I haven't played the free version in months. But I pre-ordered the premium version ($20 version). I'll be reporting on differences when I can.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Peacedog wrote:I haven't played the free version in months. But I pre-ordered the premium version ($20 version). I'll be reporting on differences when I can.
Thanks for taking one for the team, because there is zero chance of me paying 20 bucks for this, although I admit I haven't had a chance to look at the details for the pay version yet.
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

Interesting. May get it depending on the OO effect :).
Surprised the 75 bucks premium edition sold out! Nice.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

Peacedog wrote:I haven't played the free version in months. But I pre-ordered the premium version ($20 version). I'll be reporting on differences when I can.
This JUST hit Steam today. The only reason I knew this is QFC sent me my pre-purchase Steam key. Wow, I sort of assumed the whole thing became vaporware at this point, very stoked they finally came through. :horse:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

LordGek wrote:
This JUST hit Steam today. The only reason I knew this is QFC sent me my pre-purchase Steam key. Wow, I sort of assumed the whole thing became vaporware at this point, very stoked they finally came through. :horse:
Yeah, they were very active with the browser beta version on their website. Felt like they'd never just finish the game though. Glad they did. I still enjoy running a quick dungeon, and I really haven't done much with all of the added details they put in over the last few months (years?).
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

Are the challenges something more recent?

Just played with the bronze thief mission and it was a pretty cool twist to the normal gameplay.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Picked this up on Steam Friday night and I'm really enjoying it. I like that in order to succeed in the dungeons you have to play completely differently than your standard rogue-alike.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

tgb wrote:Picked this up on Steam Friday night and I'm really enjoying it. I like that in order to succeed in the dungeons you have to play completely differently than your standard rogue-alike.
And how a Roguelike can both be randomized and have all encounters pre-scripted based on the compared values.
LordGek

Desktop Dungeons

Post by LordGek »

Error.
Last edited by LordGek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordGek

Desktop Dungeons

Post by LordGek »

Error.
Last edited by LordGek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.