[TV] Community is Streets Ahead!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: [TV] Community is Streets Ahead!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Really enjoyed the last episode, too! Hell, this is turning into a great season!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So the show is over? A quick search online and everyone is calling it the season finale with a next season still in question... I thought it was a known fact this show was done?

I thought the finale was just OK, with too much crammed into a 30 minute episode. The only moment that really had me laughing was yet another dig at The Cape, although I'm glad to hear it's doing well in an alternate timeline.

Beyond all that, some show needs to find a spot for Alison Brie ASAP. She's much too minor a character on Mad Men for that to count.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I can't keep up anymore. All I know is that for a season that I was expecting to suck, it sure delivered, IMO, in terms of teh funny.

Surprisingly consistent with previous seasons, considering all the drama and whatnot.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

NBC cancelled a bunch of sitcoms today. but Community was not one of them. Doesn't mean it won't get chopped tomorrow, though.

I thought this season wasn't great. It probably was on par with the end of season 3 which I also thought was pretty patchy.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I can't keep up anymore. All I know is that for a season that I was expecting to suck, it sure delivered, IMO, in terms of teh funny.

Surprisingly consistent with previous seasons, considering all the drama and whatnot.
Yep. My wife did not know about the drama and asked me...what happened to Pierce? Is he ok? So she did not notice any drop in quality. I thought they tried too hard at times (forced a couple of things) but otherwise it was decent which is a heck of a lot better than other shows right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Previous seasons (under Harmon) have always sat firmly on the fence between absurdity and reality. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this last season has firmly set its foot on the absurdity side of the fence. It's worked occasionally for me, but more often it has not. I think without Harmon's supervision and final say on scripts, the writers have lost that ability to skirt such a fine edge on their own.
Covfefe!
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

hepcat wrote:Previous seasons (under Harmon) have always sat firmly on the fence between absurdity and reality. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this last season has firmly set its foot on the absurdity side of the fence. It's worked occasionally for me, but more often it has not. I think without Harmon's supervision and final say on scripts, the writers have lost that ability to skirt such a fine edge on their own.
I just couldn't put my finger what wasn't working this season that prior seasons had until your comment. I think you're right.
I thought this season lacked 'soul', if that makes any sense.

I did really enjoy the finale, at least by this season's standards. The whole 'darkest timeline' bit is incredibly funny to me - but mostly through Abed. I was rolling when normal Abed met up with Darkest Timeline Abed. Amazing exchange in dialogue. That was the dialogue that lacked most of the run, I thought. It seemed they played too hard on the cliches of each character rather than giving you just a tiny bit more development now and again, plus tons of clever bits/dialogue situations.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Davidbld

Post by Davidbld »

I don't have a link, but I just read on yahoo news that the show has been given an emergency injection of 13 more eps (yes, renewed)...im shocked, and happy.

Dave
No matter where you go...there you are...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Davidbld wrote:I don't have a link, but I just read on yahoo news that the show has been given an emergency injection of 13 more eps (yes, renewed)...im shocked, and happy.

Dave
YES
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Is it me or is Gillian Jacobs just drop dead whoa.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

She definitely is, but they have to watch the makeup and lighting with her despite that, or she can look like Michael Jackson in the bad years. Something which they played up in the belated Halloween episode.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I've really been enjoying this season. Still easily one of the top shows on television.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I saw that yesterday. I'm trying not to get too excited as the number of mea culpas both sides would have to undergo means I'm pretty sure this will never happen. :cry:
Covfefe!
MHS

Post by MHS »

tjg_marantz wrote:Is it me or is Gillian Jacobs just drop dead whoa.
Personally I think Alison Brie is hotter but tastes vary. Here's both of them, choose wisely: (NSFW)
Spoiler:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I withhold judgement until I can see them both without makeup.

I have the feeling both are still quite attractive without, with Brie probably getting the nod.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alison Brie took a step down for me when she did her Wired shoot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'm with Turtle. Gillian has a bit of Cameron Diaz in her and just looks weird at random times.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

MHS wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:Is it me or is Gillian Jacobs just drop dead whoa.
Personally I think Alison Brie is hotter but tastes vary. Here's both of them, choose wisely: (NSFW)
Spoiler:
We are nitpicking at this point. Hehe. :)

I'm not sure many of us would kick either off the bed.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fretmute wrote:I'm with Turtle. Gillian has a bit of Cameron Diaz in her and just looks weird at random times.
Then there are TWO blind guys in this thread. :P
Covfefe!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Nope - Alison is so much hotter in every way.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'm firmly in the "wouldn't kick either out of my bed" category but if I had to choose one it would be Alison Brie, no contest. Fair skin and dark hair just does it for me.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:Alison Brie took a step down for me when she did her Wired shoot.
Out of curiosity, why? She's absolutely smoking in that last shot of her in the green (IMO).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jacobs sans makeup. I will try to find one of Brie as well, but I am thinking it's not going to even be close:

Admittedly, that is a weird angle, and is capturing an awkward facial expression, which would make anyone look bad. And it looks like she might have been up all night drinking, or crying (both?) with those red eyes, but still, not an unattractive lady IMO.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, you should see what I look like without makeup...
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Brie with certainly less makeup than normal, but not sure completely makeup free:

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Alison Brie took a step down for me when she did her Wired shoot.
Out of curiosity, why? She's absolutely smoking in that last shot of her in the green (IMO).
The one shot where she's not trying too hard to be something else?

And I also notice that the shot that was in the magazine where they dressed her up like a street junkie is conspicuously absent from my online searches.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: And I also notice that the shot that was in the magazine where they dressed her up like a street junkie is conspicuously absent from my online searches.
What YOU call street junkie, I call attainable!
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They you're living in the perfect city.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote: The one shot where she's not trying too hard to be something else?
I'm sure she wasn't the one who picked the theme of dressing up as other characters- hard to lay that at her door.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm not getting it across well. To me, the more I see her in other things, the more she seems to be trying too hard. Perhaps it's an issue that I bought into Annie a bit too much, and it's breaking a barrier I didn't want to see crossed. Maybe it's just her crazy eyes or something, but the Wired shoot just struck a very discordant note with me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo...Harmon's return is confirmed.

:horse:

Covfefe!
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Sweeeeeet!
No sig, must scream, etc.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Finally cought up on the last season episodes. I thought it was solid. Ya, slightly more absurd but still very good. I expected it to be like arrested development new season, where most hated it. While Community did take much of a dive if any for me at least.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The trailers for season 5 so far have been hilarious. You can definitely see Harmon's touch in them. I can't wait for the one hour premiere this Thursday.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Started off weak...but it still felt like the old Community. Quite a few callbacks and reasons to rewind to catch little things. And you can never go wrong with Jonathan Banks.

But about halfway through the second episode it just clicked for me. Maybe it was Abed's frantic Nicholas Cage impressions, Shirley's line "maybe if I made 70 films in 30 years and spoke in random volumes throughout all of them, I might accidentally win an Academy Award", or that comically tragic Abed and Troy final credit scene with Banks, but everything just felt right and I sighed a breath of relief.

I was surprised by the cameo from Chase. I wonder how they pulled that off?
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Last night's episode was great. It's early, but they're well on their way to returning to Season 2 level goodness.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Last night's episode was great. It's early, but they're well on their way to returning to Season 2 level goodness.
My wife, who is not really a Community fan, was giggling incessantly throughout the entire episode. Especially at the Chang decoy parts.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could watch Chang's "I'm eating a giant churro...with my REAL mouth!" repeatedly. I hope that becomes an animated gif.

Over on qt3, someone noted that the reason Abed was erasing those shows off his tivo was because they all featured crime solvers who have exhibited symptoms of autism. The subtle implication is that he's realizing now how others really view him. Touching AND funny at the same time. That's the Community I love and adore.

...and I REALLY wanted Annie to bend over to get her keys. :wub:

p.s. here's some of the headlines from the opening montage of newspaper clippings about the Ass Crack Bandit:
COIN DROPPER CLAIMS THIRD VICTIM

THREE MORE STUDENTS CRACKED

FOUNTAIN POOPER CAUGHT! COULD HE BE THE ASS CRACK BANDIT?

FOUNTAIN POOPER CLEARED IN ASS CRACK BANDIT CASE

HUMAN BEINGS LOSE 21-4: GAME FURTHER MARRED BY SEVENTH-INNING CRACKING

DEAN DENIES EXISTENCE OF ASS CRACK BANDIT

ONE YEAR LATER: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE ASS CRACK BANDIT? WEDNESDAY MARKS ANNIVERSARY OF LAST CAMPUS CRACKING
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Last night was classic!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"