OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Skinypupy

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Skinypupy »

After a few more plays of Massive Darkness 2, I think I would bump up my score to a 7/8 tentacles. I really like this game. Having a bunch of self contained scenarios that actually take you from wimpy noob to powerful hero in about an hour is fantastic. Maybe I'm just too much into the whole instant gratification thing, but it feels much more satisfying than grinding out 3-4 intro scenarios against starter mobs before you finally get around to leveling up.

I also love the wandering monster mechanic. I have so many dungeon crawlers with these amazing "big boss" minis that I've never actually used because I never got far enough into the campaign. In MD2, there's a chance you'll pull any mini out of the box during every game. That's pretty awesome.

It's a huge plus to replayability that each scenario can play completely different, depending on which characters you're using. My favorite combo is still Ranger and Paladin, but Shaman and Wizard are both fun as well. Not crazy about the Rogue or Berzerker.

Minor gripe in that of the six games I've played, three of them have involved me simply chugging health potions and sprinting for the exit while hordes of mobs closed in around me. Between the darkness timer and the mobs that spawn in the rooms, it's very easy to get overwhelmed quickly. Running for your life is a little less satisfying than actually beating down all the monsters in your path.

Also, can we please, please, please stop making one of the player mini's twice the size of all the others?? So many games have that one player mini that has wings or horns or other accoutrements that make it barely fit in the spaces. The Ranger in MD2 is a centaur that is absolutely huge compared to all the others. It's annoying.

My FLGS had a bunch of the expansions when I bought the original, and I think I may go back and grab a few. That's not a common thing in my gaming life.

Played a few more rounds of Sentinels of the Multiverse with the kids, and it's a huge hit. We're still using the lower complexity heroes, villains, and environments, but every game has been an absolute blast. SotM and MD2 is probably the best gaming combo I've purchased in a long time.

I tried Outer Rim solo with the xpac and it was...ok. It's a game that really shines in a group due to all the scheming, wheeling, and dealing, but is pretty meh solo. The AI is just boring, and it removes all the intrigue that makes the game fun.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Your experiences with Massive Darkness 2 have definitely put it on my radar. I LOVE dungeon crawlers, but I'm forever buying these big campaigns and not finishing them. This sounds like a possible solution. Trying not to buy anything new before GenCon though.
Skinypupy wrote:I tried Outer Rim solo with the xpac and it was...ok. It's a game that really shines in a group due to all the scheming, wheeling, and dealing, but is pretty meh solo. The AI is just boring, and it removes all the intrigue that makes the game fun.
Yeah, I haven't touched it since playing a few games after it came out. I really should have known better than to buy it just for solo, but my love of Star Wars won out. I did enjoy the handful of times I played it, but certainly not enough to warrant paying full price. And I really have no urge to go back to it when I have so many other great solo games.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I played Wiz-War for the first time. A lot of fun, and very fast. We played two game in two hours, with most of the players being new to the game.

I know it's out of print right now, but this just seems like an evergreen classic. Accessible, swingy, opportunities for cleverness but not a brain-burner.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:56 pm I played Wiz-War for the first time. A lot of fun, and very fast. We played two game in two hours, with most of the players being new to the game.

I know it's out of print right now, but this just seems like an evergreen classic. Accessible, swingy, opportunities for cleverness but not a brain-burner.
I loved Wiz-War, because it was like playing Magic: The Gathering as a board game. Everything is a "gotcha" or a sneaky move/combo in that game. That said, nobody else I played with liked it because it was just too aggressive.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I've been focusing on Mage Knight for the last month or so. I've already played 5 times in July.

After I got the hang of it with level 4/7 cities in June, I've now switched to the recommended 5/8. All five games in July have been wins! The scores range from 148 with Norowas to 185 with Goldyx. I still can't see how people regularly get scores over 200.

With my personally made foamcore insert, I can get it to the table in about 10 minutes. Cleanup takes more like 20 as I get everything ready for the next playthrough.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you're enjoying Mage Knight, and you're a fan of Star Trek, try to find a copy of Star Trek: Frontiers. It's a slightly more streamlined version of Mage Knight.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In quite a departure from our usual, our game group tried a bit of an oldie last night with Mysterium. For those who haven't played it, one player is the Ghost trying to give clues to their murder (person, place, weapon), while the other players are Mediums trying to pick up on these vague clues from beyond to determine the Ghost's fate.

Each round the Ghost plays cards which are just art pieces, and the Mediums have to figure out what the Ghost is hinting at. These cards are full of nonsensical, dream-like images - a wolf in the woods, a clock tower, a scuba diver riding a horse. Does that jagged edged staircase refer to the murder weapon being something sharp? There's a lot of green on the card, and one of the suspects is wearing a green sweater....is that the connection?

The players have 7 rounds to figure out their individual crimes. If they fail to do so, all players lose. If they do figure them out, the game moves on to a second phase. In this phase the Ghost secretly chooses one crime as "what really happened" and then has to place a final set of clues to try to get the players to guess which crime is the correct one. If a majority of players vote on the correct one, everyone wins.

It's a neat little game, and led to some hilarious overthinking. In one instance I was trying to figure out if our Ghost was smart enough to imply that a hookah smoking caterpillar on one card referred to Alice in Wonderland (one of our suspects resembled Alice). Or if that was just too intellectual and he was really referring to the axes on another card referring to a sharp murder weapon. There's nothing more fun than questioning each others' intellectual capacity around the gaming table. At one point it devolved into the Vizzini wine scene in The Princess Bride and had our resident Ghost laughing so hard he couldn't breathe. :D

Anyway, I can see why this one is a minor classic. Definitely works better the more people you have though.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This week I played The Voyages of Marco Polo for the first time. I played the father-and-son duo of Niccolo and Marco Polo, while my opponents were non-Polo players and thus inferior. Somehow I came in last.

But I had fun! It's puzzley and resource-tight; the kind of game where you never have enough [money/camels/gold/etc] to do the thing you want to do. I tend to like this kind of game, and the radical asymmetry of the characters made it very enjoyable. I can see why it's in the BGG top 100.

Also played a quick game of Furnace, a more recent tableau-builder about polluting the skies of England building factories during the Industrial Revolution. It's easy to grok, has a clever auction system for acquiring cards, and doesn't overstay its welcome. I wasn't kidding about the polluting part: every card has a picture of a factory belching smoke into the sky, and if you upgrade that factory, the card flips to show even more pollution clouding the sky. I appreciate the honesty.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Last weekend I played Union vs Central, a two-player card game about building the transcontinental railroad. It's an old game with low production values: just a thick deck of cards for each player and some counters for tracking resources. But there's quite a bit of meat on those spare bones.

Each player is building a tableau of cards in front of them, consisting of terrain, settlements, and developments like farms or coal mines. Across this tableau, you'll build sections of track, racing your opponent to reach the target track length. Two things make this difficult: logistics (a problem of your own making) and disasters (played by your opponent).

Building anything is simple: you pay the resources and place the card. But the resources need to be at the specific location where you're building. So to build a depot in the mountains, the required resources need to be in the mountains. To get those resources to the mountains, you need to build track in the hills leading up to the mountains. To build that track, you need its resources in the hills. Etcetera. Your trains can only move so far and carry so much, and also consume resources to operate.

This is complicated by various disasters that your opponent will play on you during their turn (the decks are identical, so whatever you dish out is eventually coming back to you). Perhaps a derailment forces you to discard a train. Or a landslide destroys all the resources and trains at a single location. Or a gang of bandits slowly sucks away your supplies until you draw the one card in your deck that can defeat them. These disasters will usually throw an enormous monkey wrench into your plans, taking many turns to claw your way back from.

As a result, every new stretch of track feels like a real accomplishment, and it's satisfying to see your rail line slowly extend along the table.

The downside is the game length. We played the short game, which ends when one player builds their 8th track section (standard is 12, long is 16, "epic" is 24). It took four hours. I was engaged throughout, but that's a lot to ask of any player. Especially when the short game feels too short: with so few track sections, you don't really get to grapple with the full logistics puzzle. I absolutely don't have time for the standard game, but I still want to play it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Forgot to add that last weekend I managed to experience a 4 player game of The Thing and I'd 100% recommend it. The box is rather small, so it doesn't take up much shelf space. Felt like 4 was a minimum number of people. I was randomly selected as the Thing and I spent the first few rounds being extra sneaky as I assumed if I made my move too early, the humans would have likely taken me out. As it turned out, I managed to assimilate one player about 1/2 through, and then he revealed himself in a later turn and spent the rest of the game actively destroying things. Just before he revealed himself he managed to turn another player and then that player managed to turn the last one. So in the end, we were all The Thing, which was nice.

Anyway, it's funny because it feels like 50% of the game was on the board and the other 50% was the insane paranoia and live discussions each round about what to do and whom to trust. Really captured the movie feel and if you like games with table talk, this one has it. Lots of bargaining and theorizing and then veiled threats and accusations - just a great experience overall if you're with the right group of people. Definitely recommend.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've taken The Transcontinental out for a spin a couple of times over the past week: a three-handed game against myself to learn the rules, and then a two-player game against my better half.

As a fan of worker-placement games and overlooked history, this is right up my alley, so I've really enjoyed my plays. It does a great job of evoking its theme in both the set-dressing and the gameplay. The linear action system at the core of the game is a real highlight: the players use their workers to select actions along the railroad's path, which then activate in sequence as the train chugs down the path. And because the train has to turn around and come back, you can choose to skip your action on its westbound run so that you can take it during the eastbound return trip.

There are some fiddly rules, especially for unloading resources from the train and for adding new freight cars onto it. But they're not too difficult once you've played a couple of rounds.

Like a lot of worker placement games, the two-player version felt a bit lacking compared to the higher-player-count game. The "map" stays the same size, so there's less competition for action spaces and fewer map locations are fully developed by the end of the game. Still an enjoyable puzzle, but not quite as satisfying.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A buddy of mine who I haven't played games with in awhile came over Saturday night for a game night. Because he's been jonesing to play D&D, I broke out an oldie - The Legend of Drizzt board game. While it's D&D Lite, it scratched the itch enough for us to have a great time. That game is definitely not easy with just two characters. Took us two tries to beat the first scenario (though we were still learning the tricks), and we got our ass kicked the second scenario.
raydude

Post by raydude »

This past weekend I played Crisis with 3 friends from work. The premise is we are industrialists in the land of Axia, which is suffering some severe economic trouble. It is a worker placement game where you place manager tokens on different spaces to either buy companies, get workers, buy resources, or get stuff (intrigue cards, money from the government, get 1st or 2nd place in turn order). There is a mechanic whereby each round players have to try and meet or exceed the minimum VP requirement. Those that don't meet the minimum VP adversely affect Axia's overall economy and those that exceed it offset the players who are negative.

If Axia's economy goes to 0 then the game goes into an end state where anyone who didn't meet the minimum VP for that round automatically loses. This could also mean that everyone loses if we all didn't meet the VP requirement. I'm told the parallel is modern-day Greece, where the elites can either choose to help the country recover or say 'screw it and continue screwing the country over until the entire Greek economy collapses.

This was the first time playing for everyone so we played it on "easy" difficulty level. It was not that hard to meet the VP requirements and I will say almost all of us focused exclusively on staying out of debt and not tanking the economy. Then my friend Scott realized there was no way we were gonna bust the economy so he started taking actions that would give him resources at the expense of his VP. However, by that time he had set up his economic engine such that he could make back the VP he lost and gain a lot of money in the process.

This is my first time playing a "build an engine" type of game, where one sets up a chain of workers, cards, and resources to build an engine to get more cash/cards/workers/resources. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did since it didn't check any of my boxes. I love military-themed, die rolling, and taking or losing of territory. And "build an engine" games are not on my list of games that I would like to play. Still, it was pretty fun and I can see the appeal of building an engine and seeing it run well.

If we play it again I imagine we'll play on "medium" difficulty and I'll definitely explore being more in debt and trying to skirt the line between hurting the economy in the short term and helping it in the long term.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

raydude wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:45 pm This past weekend I played Crisis with 3 friends from work.
I played Crisis for the first time earlier this year. In that game (on "medium" difficulty, I think), we were terribly unpatriotic and managed to crash the economy halfway through. It's a pretty clever game.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think I would like Crisis. Game theory, engine building and economics? Mmmm…..yeah. All good.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kids got me Star Wars Villainous for my birthday this week. First, a little context.

I never played the Disney version, but I absolutely hated Marvel Villainous. Just really, really, really disliked everything about it. Thought it was too complex, too fiddly, took forever to play, none of could wrap our heads around the flow, and it was just generally unfun. So while the Star Wars theme connects with me much more than the Marvel theme, I was still very leery of this version. Busted it out today and...

...it was a blast! Maybe it's because I did a better job learning how to play beforehand, maybe I did a better job explaining so the kids got it, maybe the theme made all the difference, or maybe all of the above. We played two games back to back and really had fun with it. Between myself and two of the kids we played all the characters except Asajj, and each was unique and very interesting to play. I came within one turn of winning twice before getting derailed by a Fate or other action. The tension was great and the back and forth momentum was really fun. (Side note: I'm still not quite sure how Kylo Ren would ever win, as the Rey Fate card seems wildly OP. It essentially undoes a full 6 turns of progress towards the goal with one action.)

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised with this version, especially considering how hard I bounced off the Marvel one.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The Marvel one is just bad. The Star Wars one is much more in line with what the original Disney version is like. The Marvel version has you just throwing all the fate decks into one big pile, but that ruins the personality of each villain and felt like it made everyone much more generic. I only played the Marvel version once with the family and like you we all felt it was too drawn out and unfun. We only played it that one time and none of us have wanted to bring it to table again since.

But the Star Wars version gave a much better first impression. We got a little confused by the ambition currency at first -- we didn't grasp right away how we were supposed to amass it or use it, but after a few rounds that started making sense. (Disney Villainous generally has just a single 'power' currency that works the way credits do in Star Wars.) At worst it probably ties with Disney Villainous for my family, and everyone's looking forward to trying it again.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I've been playing a lot of Endless Winter: Paleoamericans and it's reaaally good! I've also been making a bunch of videos for it.
The playlist (press the top right icon):
Spoiler:
Basically the game is a deck-builder, worker placement, dudes (camps) on a map and with the expansion also has a 'write' component. I like it much better than Lost Ruins of Arnak
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice! Thanks for posting that. I’ve been eyeing this game for a while. This answers all my questions about it.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Zarathud »

Boardgameco liked it, but I was able to hold out because he likes polyomino/write games too much.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wasn’t a big fan of write games….until Hadrian’s Wall. :wub:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Hadrian's Wall is really high on my wish list. I've never really played any roll/flip n' writes but I have never seen anyone say anything bad about that game. I've watched a couple of playthroughs and though they haven't completely helped me understand the appeal, I think I'd enjoy it once I actually had it in my hands and could try it.

Tonight's game group session was Reckoners: Steelslayer Expansion.

We really enjoyed the base game of Reckoners a few years ago when it was released, so it's no surprise we really enjoyed the expansion as well. Aside from two new bosses and two new cities, all of which add various additional rules, you also get new equipment cards, new Epics (mini-bosses) to fight, and four new characters. The expansion also tweaks a rule to allow you to gain rewards from defeating Epics immediately instead of at the end of the player phase, which can help offset the expansion's overall harder difficulty.

Tonight's session was what I consider the perfect co-op session. Namely, one in which everyone at the table is absolutely convinced you're going to lose, things are completely spiraling out of control, and then somehow you click everything together in the last possible round and pull out the win. (In fairness, we did play on the easiest difficulty, but this game is hard enough as it is!)

I'm not sure that it's an absolutely essential expansion, but if you like Reckoners and just want more of it you'll definitely enjoy the new content.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 pm Hadrian's Wall is really high on my wish list. I've never really played any roll/flip n' writes but I have never seen anyone say anything bad about that game. I've watched a couple of playthroughs and though they haven't completely helped me understand the appeal, I think I'd enjoy it once I actually had it in my hands and could try it.
If you enjoy the idea of making decisions that cascade into more options, extra points, extra abilities, etc... when making a single move then that's the general idea. I didn't quite get Roll a Write games initially, but I tried the Fleet version first (which I'd still recommend) because it's dice-based (which is my kryptonite). It's all about move optimization but the fun is that cascade of "Oh, I did this? That means I can do this now, which means this is also unlocked and that gets me an extra free move which I'm going to use to score here..."

Hadrian's Wall is card based so it doesn't have the same feel as chucking dice, but I legit don't understand how this game was created or tested. There are so many things you can do every round and it's always fun to try and think through what's best - knowing what will cascade once you do.

The only other game in this category I need to try is Welcome To..., which seems to be universally loved by fans of Flip/Roll and Write games (this is a Flip).

Regardless, I've really been enjoying these style games lately. I just picked up Richard Garfield's Dungeons, Dice and Danger and I have a indie game called "Roll With It" coming from Game Crafter next month.

It's a great gaming space.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Welcome to… is terrific. We played a lot of it over Zoom during the heart of the pandemic.

I have a copy of Welcome to…the Moon but have yet to break it out.

But I think my favorite roll and write has to be Super Skill Pinball 4-cade. I kept this one set up for weeks because you could spend 10 minutes and play a ball and then go off and do something else. I used it for breaks from work. Highly recommended.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:31 pm I wasn’t a big fan of write games….until Hadrian’s Wall. :wub:
Just looking at the board for Hadrian's makes my brain short-circuit. :lol:
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:38 pm Regardless, I've really been enjoying these style games lately. I just picked up Richard Garfield's Dungeons, Dice and Danger
Will be interested to hear your thoughts on this one. I've had it in my hands twice at the store but didn't pull the trigger. I've heard it's really, really difficult, which generally isn't my thing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:55 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:31 pm I wasn’t a big fan of write games….until Hadrian’s Wall. :wub:
Just looking at the board for Hadrian's makes my brain short-circuit. :lol:
It did me as well the first time I saw it. But once you get going, it makes a lot more sense.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hentzau wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:38 am Welcome to… is terrific. We played a lot of it over Zoom during the heart of the pandemic.

I have a copy of Welcome to…the Moon but have yet to break it out.
I got Welcome to the Moon a few weeks ago. Played the first 3 or 4 missions of the campaign and then set it aside. Was definitely a fun brain burner for me. I hope to get back to it soon before I forget what I was doing.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just played Eriantys, which is an updated and re-themed version of Carolus Magnus. The original game was about Charlemagne and the early Holy Roman Empire, this new one is about a whimsical wizard school. In either case, you're trying to A) gain the most influence in several factions and B) make sure those factions dominate the map.

It's intensely tactical, with lots of agonizing decisions at any moment. Turn order is huge. Movement is huge. Influence is huge. And all of these factors are tangled up together.

Great fun. I would highly recommend it.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

A couple of friends were in town last night, so we decided to learn Forbidden Island. I was the teacher since I'd watched a how-to-play video and read the rulebook. We didn't know what we were doing in the first game and lost when the water level reached the skull. It was still a fun time though.

The second game was exciting and really tense at the end. It helped that we had a better understanding of what we needed to do. We won when I was able to airlift the whole group to the launching pad, and then use another helicopter card to get us off the island. My wife checked the first treasure card I would have drawn if I hadn't lifted us out. It would have raised the water level to the skull level. We won the game only one card away from losing!

Lots of fun! Will definitely play again.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I like Forbidden Island... simple does NOT mean easy. :)

I played Dice Forge for the first time this week. That was an interesting learning experience. I did pretty poorly, but on the very last turn of the very last round I was able to identify a move the second place player could make to win the game. The guy that was in first wasn't too happy with me, but I was damn pleased with myself for finding it. I think it's a game I could really enjoy on the third of fourth play once I get the flow down a bit better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I had the chance to play Scout a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. Some of the folks in the local board game group managed to pick up copies at PAX. Scout bears a loose resemblance to Gin Rummy and similar games. It's simple and elegant and I think it's my favorite card game I've ever played. Just super clever design, easy to play, but lots of hidden depths.

It's from Oink Games, so it's one of those tiny boxes, and unfortunately it's out of print for now, but definitely look for it when it becomes available again.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:55 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:38 pm Regardless, I've really been enjoying these style games lately. I just picked up Richard Garfield's Dungeons, Dice and Danger
Will be interested to hear your thoughts on this one. I've had it in my hands twice at the store but didn't pull the trigger. I've heard it's really, really difficult, which generally isn't my thing.
Finally had some time to play a few rounds this weekend. I liked it. I'm not sure I'd recommend it as the first roll-n-write game you should play. I don't think it's as complex as Hadrian's Wall or Fleet the Dice game, but it's definitely not straight-forward in what you need to do (or how you do it). The game is 90% similar in solo play as it would be for multi-play, so it does have that going for it (imho).

The best I can describe my experience was that early on I felt like I was going to lose quickly with a low score. Then I managed to turn a corner and the mid-game was rather easy. With another play I'm seeing now how I could start elevating that score by making some different choices and taking some more chances. There are other elements you can unlock (I think they call them achievements) where you do stuff that only scores for you if you complete a much larger task. I was just focusing on fighting the monsters for the most part and managed an average score.

It doesn't have that same "cascading" turn feeling that you get when playing the other roll-n-write games - where doing [X] then allows you do 3 more things and score more points. Though to be fair, I was only playing on the easiest (of 4) levels so maybe the more difficult maps give some options.The components are better than average - thick pads of double sided maps, golf pencils and wooden dice. I think the dice are my least favorite. They're wooden (hooray sustainable materials) but they're very lightweight. I prefer dice with some heft. I'd also likely laminate the score sheets at some point. Maybe future editions will come with wet erase boards for 4 players.

Feels right for $25 and about an hour of play. Not something I'd reach for all the time, but it makes for a nice break and some focused thinking.

I'd still recommend you try a game like Ganz schön clever first. Here you will get some of that "cascading" turn play where depending on your choice for the dice, you might unlock extra stuff. This game is seemingly simple to play, but definitely difficult to master. My first game I thought I did great and then when I added up all my points, I was one step above the lowest tier of success (1/2 star). But in terms of understanding how to play - this is much easier to play and probably half the time. It's well regarded for a reason. If you like it, then you can start considering the meatier games in the genre (imho). I was actually thinking about starting a dedicated Roll/Flip and Write thread, but wasn't sure if there would be enough interest.

Either way for solo play, they're all keepers for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 pm Feels right for $25 and about an hour of play.
I assume you mean an hour per game - or is it really $25 for an hour and that's it?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:52 am
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 pm Feels right for $25 and about an hour of play.
I assume you mean an hour per game - or is it really $25 for an hour and that's it?
Oh yeah, sorry. That's not clear. Waaaay more than an hour in the entire box. :D I'm guessing each game will be about ~60 minutes, though maybe the harder maps will take a bit longer just because there's some extra stuff to consider.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do any of the rooms on the maps you explore have...

...A PEPPER BAR!

DAMN IT! IT'S STILL IN MY HEAD! :x
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:

No, but the first boss is a Beefy Bearpion (cross between grizzly and scorpion). Might go well with A PEPPER BAR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

The art work is really good (imho) and the monsters are fun. There's a dog with an ancient Egyptian theme named "Horus - Lord of the Zoomies"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It wasn't a KS (just a pre-order), but my copy of the Serpentor expansion for the GI Joe deck builder arrived, along with a pre-order bonus (promo characters). I haven't played it a while, but this expansion adds two more missions and the ability to build and upgrade a base so I'm curious to see if it makes the game even better. I liked the base game so hopefully this doesn't break anything.

No, I'm not still angry with my mom for giving my younger cousin all of my GI Joe and Transformers stuff when I left for college - which he promptly destroyed with fireworks, why do you ask?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember my brother breaking my Biotron action figure while playing with it, after which I melted his Cornelius figure from Planet of the Apes over an open fire in the backyard after tying it to a stick and announcing that the humans had won.

...there were a lot of confused people at his 20th wedding anniversary cook out that day, I'll tell you that.
Covfefe!