Choosing PC Speakers

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeremy

Choosing PC Speakers

Post by Jeremy »

I *think* I want a 5.1 setup. I don't want to spend much money and I'm looking at Logitech's X-530.

Do I have to have something other than a standard 'came with the HP' soundcard to realize full 5.1 goodness? I don't want to buy a soundcard and would be just fine staying 2.1 if necessary.
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Uhh, HP model number? Does it have a 5.1 capable card/on board setup? Logitech seems to get good ratings but I don't know much about them.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

You've answered my question. A sound card must specifically geared to 5.1 (or 6.1 or whatever). Thanks.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Well hold on there. Most sound "cards" today, even those integrated on a motherboard, will support 5.1 channel audio. As long as there's a speaker AND a line out or Aux jack, you should be fine. You'd only be in trouble if you were limited to a single audio (headphone/speaker) jack plus a microphone jack, for instance. Most PCs however will have a Mic, speaker out, line out, line in, and sometimes an Aux jack, too. That's pretty typical regardless of the manufacturer.

Sith
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

True. I ended up with two separate sets of 5.1 outputs on my box, and I don't even have a surround sound setup.