Arkham Horror: Turn 10. INVESTIGATOR VICTORY!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Chaosraven

Re: Arkham Horror-Turn 3 Mythos posted! Turn 4 open for busi

Post by Chaosraven »

Hey, do I need to focus my stats for closing the gate?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chaosraven wrote:Too bad you're not carrying a Claymore Mine, did I ever tell you it has raised letters on it that say FRONT TOWARD ENEMY?

M18 Claymore
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Chaosraven wrote:Hey, do I need to focus my stats for closing the gate?
You need to pass 1 lore and 1 lore or combat check (Lore for da spell, lore or combat for closing the gate)

so if you do not have them prepared for this, I suggest doing so.

As for me, I guess I can go monster hunting, any monsters here not really high up on the sanity removal o meter?
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Semaj wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:Hey, do I need to focus my stats for closing the gate?
You need to pass 1 lore and 1 lore or combat check (Lore for da spell, lore or combat for closing the gate)

so if you do not have them prepared for this, I suggest doing so.

As for me, I guess I can go monster hunting, any monsters here not really high up on the sanity removal o meter?
Of the monsters that are out the cultists are pretty much the only safe bet, sanity-wise.
docD

Post by docD »

Since no one has any suggestions, I'll change may speed/sneak to 3/3 and move to train station.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

I'll go to the merchant district to fight the cultist there since its right next to me, if someone else has already fought it before I can, I can go the the red place and fight the cultist there.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, think all moves are in.

Chaosraven, did you want to adjust stats or no?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Yeah, focus Lore up and Luck down by 2, plz
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

One last question and then we can get this turn off the ground-

Lars, I have you heading to the cultist in merchant district. Semaj, I have you heading there as well, or to uptown if the MD cultist is already taken care of. The catch is that all movement occurs before encounters. So semaj could try and sneak past the MD cultist to get to the other cultist in Uptown, leaving the MD cultist to Lars. Or you could both fight the same cultist in MD. Or Lars could hit the cultist in Uptown and semaj could hit the one in MD with no sneak rolls required.

Thoughts?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

FWIW, I am loving just spectating in this battle for Arkham, and the rest of us. Keep up the great work. gryndyl, your commentary is especially appreciated.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Pyperkub wrote:FWIW, I am loving just spectating in this battle for Arkham, and the rest of us. Keep up the great work. gryndyl, your commentary is especially appreciated.
Thanks! Arkham is a game made to naturally create its own storyline as it goes and I'm having fun filling in the blanks :)
Last edited by Gryndyl on Tue May 25, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

you can add me to the fan. Been keeping up with the game. Kind of am waiting for Semaj to ask "Why Scoop?" But thats just me. Good luck

/lurk back on
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Finalgenesis

Post by Finalgenesis »

Indeed I agree with the above on your excellent commentaries!

I'm rooting for the GOO! Come on God of bloody tongue!
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Newcastle wrote:you can add me to the fan. Been keeping up with the game. Kind of am waiting for Semaj to ask "Why Scoop?" But thats just me. Good luck

/lurk back on
Did scoop get killed?

WHY SCOOP WHY!?!!?
Lars

Post by Lars »

Gryndyl wrote:One last question and then we can get this turn off the ground-

Lars, I have you heading to the cultist in merchant district. Semaj, I have you heading there as well, or to uptown if the MD cultist is already taken care of. The catch is that all movement occurs before encounters. So semaj could try and sneak past the MD cultist to get to the other cultist in Uptown, leaving the MD cultist to Lars. Or you could both fight the same cultist in MD. Or Lars could hit the cultist in Uptown and semaj could hit the one in MD with no sneak rolls required.

Thoughts?
If Semaj wishes to fight the Cultist in the Merchant District, I'll go after the one in Uptown.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Pyperkub wrote:FWIW, I am loving just spectating in this battle for Arkham, and the rest of us. Keep up the great work. gryndyl, your commentary is especially appreciated.
OH SURE! Just sit right back and grab some Popcorn as we get EATEN and GO INSANE.

Lousy townsfolk.
"Where are you off to?"

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

:pop: Yay Nyalrmmmmph [munch, munch]
Spoiler:
just kidding, I'm rooting for the Investigators
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Lars wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:One last question and then we can get this turn off the ground-

Thoughts?
If Semaj wishes to fight the Cultist in the Merchant District, I'll go after the one in Uptown.
this works, we will do this.
Gryndyl

Turn 4 Encounters.

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 4 ENCOUNTERS

Lars

(Curfew Roll: 6,6,5,1 Success!)

You figure you'll put a bit of ground between yourself and that science building. Whatever that kid was working on looked like it had the potential to explode. You make your way uptown. You have to make a quick sidestep into an alley as a the local coppers roll past but then the coast looks clear. Well, except for that other guy up the street. Looks like the coppers missed him too. Weird looking dude. Robes, hood. Waving his hands around and chanting.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu
R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Looks like it's time for ol' Tommy again.

(Cultist: No san check, +1 combat modifier, 1 damage, 1 toughness)
Your roll: Fight 3 (+1) +6 tommy gun +1 cultist=11. 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2= very, very dead cultist)

You almost feel bad for the guy.

(With Nyarlathotep as the Great Old One cultists have the Endless ability and are not gained as trophies)

DocD

You leave the Asylum and wander up the street to the train station. Seems a good place to grab a bite to eat. You sit at the lunch counter in the station and enjoy a light repast, watching the comings and goings of the people and the trains. Seems a lot more are going than coming.

Having finished your meal you head out of the station only to realize that you seem to have grabbed the wrong valise! Damn! Your lucky cigarette case was in there! You open this one up to see what you've ended up with instead. Hmmm. Looks like someone's research on something.

(Lose Lucky Cigarette Case. Gain Research Materials)

Chaosraven

The strange chant you learned seems to have worked.

(sanity -1 for spell. Roll (4-1): 6,4,4 success!)
(Gate "The Dreamlands". +1, slash symbol)
(Lore roll to close gate (+1): 6,6,4,3,2 Success! gate closed. Gain one gate trophy. All monsters with slash removed (none))

You seem to be back in Arkham, somewhere in the woods at the edge of town. The swirling mists of the gate you emerged from fade and slowly dissipate. The woods are safe again. Well, if it weren't for that thing over there in the trees. What the hell is that?

(Next turn you must either fight any monsters in the woods or make an evade check to move out of the woods. Failing an evade check causes you to take full damage from the monster and then enter combat with it)

Stessier

Perhaps this, then, is the source of the evils that plague the town tonight? A strange sphere of swirling mists, flickering with color. You sense that it is a portal of some sort, a doorway to another place. You cross yourself, murmur a Hail Mary and step into it.

(Great Hall of Celeano (star, -1))

You find yourself in a massive stone hall, the ceiling lost in darkness high overhead. The walls are lined with shelf after shelf of scrolls, tomes, books, tablets. They stretch as far as you can see and the tops of the shelves stretch out of sight into the shadows above. Shadows that seem to flicker with motion, flapping wings and strange high pitched shrieking noises. The librarians perhaps?

You move to the side and pull one of the scrolls from a shelf. There is a furious screech from above and something swoops down, a great black bat-like thing with huge luminous eyes. Its claws rake across your back and send you sprawling across the cold stone floor.
So, rule number one. Don't touch the scrolls. Check.

(sneak -2 roll: No successes possible. Spent 1 clue. Roll: 1. Fail)
(-2 stamina, -1 clue)

Semaj

(curfew roll will: 6,5,1 success!)

Not ever having been a fan of having your brain seared open by rocks you stumble out of the Square into the streets of the Merchant District. You've heard that there's a curfew on but there's no sign of the police anywhere. There is, however, a sinister looking guy in a black hood. Looks a bit like those guys you ran into in Shanghai that one time. He starts running towards you with a knife. Yep. Just like those guys in Shanghai.

(fight 2 + revolver 3 + automatic 4 + cultist 1 = 10. 6,5,5,3,1,1,1,1)

Went down just about as easy too.

(Due to Nyarlathotep, cultists have Endless ability. No trophy gained.)

Isgrimnur

It looks to be a boarding house of some kind. When you step through the door, however, it is quite unlike any boarding house you've ever soon.

(The Abyss. (hexagon, -2))

The hall stretches off before you and with each step you take the door at the far end seems to recede just as far.

You snort. No damned optical trickery is going to outwit you. You spin in place and walk down the hall backwards. Within minutes you have reached the door.

(Pass lore-1 check or remain here next turn. Roll: 6,3,3,2. Success!)

Scoop20906

It seems years since you found yourself in this labyrinth. Years of stumbling along down twisting passages, backtracking, dead ends and hopelessness. At last, however, you seem to have found the exit. -1 sanity.

Remus West

You stop in at the Curiositie Shoppe. Hey! There's the ancient tablet you've always wanted!

(Gain Ancient Tablet. Lose $8)

Game Board after Turn 4 Encounters:

Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 3 Monster Count: 4 Terror Track: 0 Doom Track: 4 of 11

Starting with the next Mythos Post I'll have a typed out list of gates and monsters and where they are as I imagine the tiny board icons might be a slight strain to read.

Mythos coming up soon!
Chaosraven

Re: Arkham Horror-Turn 4 Encounters. The Investigators go to

Post by Chaosraven »

Ok, I am short about three hands for all these guns... anyone interested in a spot of skeet?
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Ok, I am short about three hands for all these guns... anyone interested in a spot of skeet?
I may need a physical weapon should I run into something that is immune to my sword. All I have right now is magic.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 4 MYTHOS

No gate appears.

No clue appears.

MONSTER SURGE!

Creatures spill forth from the open gates! A Mi-Go, a Fire Vampire and a Nightgaunt take to the skies. A Maniac appears at the Unvisited Isle. A Formless Spawn and a Warlock arrive in the Black Cave. The Formless Spawn moves to the Rivertown streets. The Dark Pharaoh emerges from The Witch House into the streets of French Hill.

The Chthonian stirs and the ground of Arkham shakes. Fortunately no one was injured in the minor quake.

The Terror level has increased by 1 to 1 out of 10. One potential Ally has left Arkham for safer environs (Dunwich, maybe...).

Headline:

TEMPERANCE FEVER SWEEPS CITY

Any Investigator in possession of Whiskey must make a sneak-1 check or be arrested.
Hibb's Roadhouse is closed until the end of next turn.
Arkham curfew is still in effect.

(Chaosraven: (possesses Whiskey) Sneak-1 roll: 5,4. Success!)

Gameboard after Mythos turn 4:

Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 3 Monster Count: 11 Terror Track: 1 Doom Track: 4 of 11

GATE REPORT:

The Black Cave: "Another Dimension". Square. +0
Unvisited Isle: "Great Hall of Celeano". Star. -1
The Witch House: "The Abyss". Hexagon. -2

MONSTER REPORT:

The skies:
Mi-Go (circle, -2) Threat: Low
Nightgaunt (slash, -2) Threat: Low
Fire Vampire (star, +0) Threat: Moderate/Low

Woods:
Chthonian (triangle, +1) Threat: High

The Witch House:
Mi-Go (circle, -2) Threat: Low

Southside Streets:
Shoggoth (diamond, -1) Threat: High

French Hill Streets:
The Dark Pharaoh (slash, -1) Threat: Moderate/High

Rivertown Streets:
Formless Spawn (hexagon, +0) Threat: Moderate

Unvisited Isle:
Dark Young (hexagon, -2) Threat: High
Maniac (moon, -1) Threat: Low

Black Cave:
Warlock (circle, -2) Threat: Moderate/Low

Turn 5 Move Order:

DocD
Chaosraven
Stessier
Semaj
Isgrimnur
Scoop20906
Remus West
Lars

GM Comments:
Until you guys manage to bring the number of monsters back down, every monster that appears will go straight to the terror track. Due to the number of flying monsters the streets, fortunately, aren't too clogged. Unfortunately this makes those monsters difficult to clear and the streets a potentially hazardous place to end one's turn.
Last edited by Gryndyl on Wed May 26, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Re: Arkham Horror-Turn 4 Mythos. The Mythos Strikes Back

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holy crap!

Formless Spawn and Dark Young will get sucked back down once I can close my gate ... in two turns... Fire Vampire will go when the Uninvited Isle gate is closed. The Black Cave gate nets us no runaways
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Can we even go after the ones that are still in a gate space? Wouldn't we get sucked in the instant we tried? If not I'll go after the uninvited isle. Time to stop talking about my sword and use it to stab someone I guess. I'll also adjust stats to give a little fighting bonus maybe.

How do we go after the flying monsters anyway?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

:pop:

Gotta love Surges.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remus West wrote:How do we go after the flying monsters anyway?
Go out into the street and make a lot of noise. They'll come to you.
If the flying monster is in a location or street area with no investigators and there are one or more investigators in a connected street area, it moves into that street area. If there is more than one connected street area containing investigators, it moves towards the investigator in those street areas with the lowest current Sneak skill (including any relevant equipment and skills; if there is a tie, the first player chooses which investigator the monster moves towards).
The Sky is a holding area considered to be a street area that is connected to every street area in Arkham.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

fwiw, internet has been acting funny (Dcing me a lot) and apparently my phone is hanging up on people. I'm thinking the lines are having issues.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:Can we even go after the ones that are still in a gate space? Wouldn't we get sucked in the instant we tried? If not I'll go after the uninvited isle. Time to stop talking about my sword and use it to stab someone I guess. I'll also adjust stats to give a little fighting bonus maybe.

How do we go after the flying monsters anyway?
Yes, the existence of a gate trumps any monsters at the location. Gate monsters either need to be dealt with by someone coming out of a gate or by someone closing the gate to allow others to enter the location.

Flying monsters you pretty much have to wait for them to attack you. Any investigator in the streets when a flying monster's move comes up has a chance of getting up close and personal with one.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm just gonna keep moving through this here gate - since I don't have a choice and all. :)

Focus of 1: Fight from 1 -> 2

Hoping I don't lose my last stamina. That would be annoying.

Do I get money on each turn while I'm in the Gate? Or does that only happen in the real world?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

When do I have to cast "Storm of Spirits"? "Voice of Ra"?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

stessier-yes, as long as you have it you will collect from the retainer no matter where you are

Remus: Voice of Ra is cast during Upkeep. Storm of Spirits is a combat spell and would act as your weapon for a fight should you use it.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

What I have for Turn 5 moves:

DocD:speed 3 stealth 3, Curiositie Shoppe for encounter.
Chaosraven: Fight the Chthonian
Stessier: Fight: 2. Move through Celeano
Semaj: Unannounced
Isgrimnur: Move through Abyss
Scoop20906: Return from Another Dimension and close gate
Remus West: move to Rivertown and fight the Formless Spawn
Lars: unannounced
Last edited by Gryndyl on Wed May 26, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

So if I was hoping to attract the attention of a lot of flying annoyances I should wait to cast the Voice until next upkeep? That way I can have the +1 for all fights if they come after me?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:So if I was hoping to attract the attention of a lot of flying annoyances I should wait to cast the Voice until next upkeep? That way I can have the +1 for all fights if they come after me?
Yes. If you end your turn in the street and if you succeed against the curfew roll and if a move comes up for any of the flying monsters then next turn is when you would be fighting them.

I made a point of listing the 'ifs' there just to make sure you're aware that attracting the attention of flying creatures is by no means a given.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Gryndyl wrote:
Remus West wrote:So if I was hoping to attract the attention of a lot of flying annoyances I should wait to cast the Voice until next upkeep? That way I can have the +1 for all fights if they come after me?
Yes. If you end your turn in the street and if you succeed against the curfew roll and if a move comes up for any of the flying monsters then next turn is when you would be fighting them.

I made a point of listing the 'ifs' there just to make sure you're aware that attracting the attention of flying creatures is by no means a given.
Yeah but if I don't attract them I can always go after some other monsters. Also, I won't have to decide to use the spell until I make the curfew roll so the only if left will be their movement. What types of monsters are up there? With them stacked I can not tell but if we have a wide range it makes them more likely to move.

Also, shouldn't the ones that moved via flying this turn attack one of the players already in the streets?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:

Yeah but if I don't attract them I can always go after some other monsters. Also, I won't have to decide to use the spell until I make the curfew roll so the only if left will be their movement. What types of monsters are up there? With them stacked I can not tell but if we have a wide range it makes them more likely to move.

Also, shouldn't the ones that moved via flying this turn attack one of the players already in the streets?
The critters up there are listed at the end of the mythos turn post.

A flying monster in Arkham that has a move come up will attack an investigator only if one is in an adjacent location, otherwise they head to the skies. The new flyers came out from the Witch House and the Black Cave gates so no one was close.

However, your question did allow me to catch an error that I'll need to fix! The mi-go is a circle mover and it was hexagons, slashes, triangles and stars that moved last turn. Hexagons and circles are easy to mix up which is exactly what I did. So one of those mi-go is actually still at the Witch House. I'll have the corrected map up soonish.

EDIT: Corrected map is up. (1 mi-go moved from the sky to the Witch House)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Does Scoop check for gate closure before or after facing any monsters in the space?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Staying right here to fight yon wee beastie
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I will move to Rivertown and slap down the beastie there.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:Does Scoop check for gate closure before or after facing any monsters in the space?
Before. When returning through a gate you don't need to worry about the monsters until the following turn.