The Rand Paul sideshow

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Rand Paul sideshow

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:42 am Both KY senators unavailable after this weekend's horrific acts of violence. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
It's interesting, but it almost certainly is just a coincidence. Paul must have had his surgery this weekend - it would be pretty bonkers for him to publicly fabricate a surgery, which would I think be a pretty easy thing to verify for a journalist. Much easier for him to just make up a vaguer excuse for avoiding the media.

Similar situation with McConnell. More possible that he is exaggerating an injury, but again seems easier for McConnell to offer up platitudes and vague justifications than to try to make up an injury.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's just so weird that two of the biggest PoS in our elected federal government are down for the count after this weekend.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oops. Was I supposed to disclose that?
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., revealed Wednesday that his wife bought stock in Gilead Sciences — which makes an antiviral drug used to treat COVID-19 — on Feb. 26, 2020, before the threat from the coronavirus was fully understood by the public and before it was classified as a pandemic by the World Health Organization.

The disclosure, in a filing with the Senate, came 16 months after the 45-day reporting deadline set forth in the Stock Act, which is designed to combat insider trading.
Say it with me - politicians should not be able to purchase stock in any capacity, period. Their financials should be 100% transparent. You want to run for office? Congratulations - your financials are an open book.

Mother f-er is telling people to not wear masks and his wife owns stock in a company that provides treatment meds. He should be jailed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's almost like the elite in our country are held to no account and have absolutely no shame. Even when they openly and blatantly violate laws or ethical controls nothing happens except the press writes a story wagging a finger at them. They still get to keep all that dirty money. They lose no status. Of course they do whatever they want.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My early morning mind keeps seeing the title and reading, "The RuPaul Sideshow."

Which would be far preferable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good point ethics paladin! Unfortunately this is Chinatown.

dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Big deal. It wasn't necessarily insider information at that point.

I don't see how some people will go after Rand and give Hunter Biden a pass. This board has far too many liberal-minded people and it scares some away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:07 am Good point ethics paladin! Unfortunately this is Chinatown.

So is this Melania or Anne Romney? Outside chance of Theresa Heinz-Kerry?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

dobberhd wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:39 pmBig deal. It wasn't necessarily insider information at that point.
Let's say that is true, he still concealed that transaction intentionally or not for a long-period of time which makes it look bad. It also doesn't help that he crusades about Democratic ethics. I don't know how big a deal it is but still I think most would agree leaders with access to sensitive and confidential information shouldn't be able to profit off it.
I don't see how some people will go after Rand and give Hunter Biden a pass.
First off - this is a complete non sequitur. Also, we did talk about the very real ethics problem with the Hunter Biden art deals here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:46 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:07 am Good point ethics paladin! Unfortunately this is Chinatown.

Is Rand Paul married? That was my assumption.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:57 pm Also, we did talk about the very real ethics problem with the Hunter Biden art deals here.
Conservative-minded people only see what they want to see. It's easier to maintain the persecution complex that way.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Is Rand Paul married? That was my assumption.
He specifies "presidential nominee", and Rand Paul has never won a nomination for president.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rand Paul benefits directly from his wife’s investments. It was disclosable but they hid it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously. F Rand Paul. He should be jailed.

Scoop: The stock that Rand Paul’s wife bought in the maker of Remdisivir early in the Covid pandemic was the only time in 10 years that Paul or his wife had purchased shares of an individual stock.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And he "forgot" about it. I wonder if we have enough to strongly suspect insider information was key to that decision.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm Oops. Was I supposed to disclose that?
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., revealed Wednesday that his wife bought stock in Gilead Sciences — which makes an antiviral drug used to treat COVID-19 — on Feb. 26, 2020, before the threat from the coronavirus was fully understood by the public and before it was classified as a pandemic by the World Health Organization.

The disclosure, in a filing with the Senate, came 16 months after the 45-day reporting deadline set forth in the Stock Act, which is designed to combat insider trading.
Say it with me - politicians should not be able to purchase stock in any capacity, period. Their financials should be 100% transparent. You want to run for office? Congratulations - your financials are an open book.

Mother f-er is telling people to not wear masks and his wife owns stock in a company that provides treatment meds. He should be jailed.
Like when Paul Pelosi makes his insider trades? I mean fuck them all. Right?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW it's probably hard to charge insider trading under those facts, because insider trading is generally premised on someone having inside information about a company that they're under some obligation or duty not to disclose or trade on. Here the inside information isn't about the company, it's about pending conditions in society.

Also the really shitty thing here is not that she traded on the info, but that Rand Paul continued to be an utter shitbag on COVID despite (probably) knowing generally what was coming.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am FWIW it's probably hard to charge insider trading under those facts, because insider trading is generally premised on someone having inside information about a company that they're under some obligation or duty not to disclose or trade on. Here the inside information isn't about the company, it's about pending conditions in society.

Also the really shitty thing here is not that she traded on the info, but that Rand Paul continued to be an utter shitbag on COVID despite (probably) knowing generally what was coming.
It depends on what was briefed. I don't think they magically found REGN especially since it was relatively unknown. They were steered there somehow. This was a time frame when we knew next to nothing about therapeutics that'd work. Yet they stumbled on something that was fast tracked. How lucky! Beyond that the public policy / governance aspect is horrible too. He had an incentive to make the situation worse.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am Like when Paul Pelosi makes his insider trades? I mean fuck them all. Right?
Yes. All of them. Any elected official with connection to investments is immediately in ethical jeopardy, imho. Again, their financials should be an open book and there shouldn't be any way for a politician (or their goddamn families for christsake) to make direct stock purchases.

But apparently that ship has sailed so we're stuck with the "but it's technically legal" system that currently exists - the one that is broken, corrupt and seemingly owned by corporations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm Oops. Was I supposed to disclose that?

Like when Paul Pelosi makes his insider trades? I mean fuck them all. Right?
He does explicitly state "politicians", not "republican politicians".
Covfefe!
Zarathud

The Rand Paul sideshow

Post by Zarathud »

It is stupid, lazy and unethical. With a blind trust, they mention the opportunity to an outside manager who decides how much to invest on their behalf. Making a direct investment is transparently corrupt and says they don’t care about appearances.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He literally caused people to die in order to profit off of it. And as is proper with lawful evil, he did it within the system.

He's a comic book villain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With Rand Paul and McConnell both from Kentucky Im not sure if it or Florida holds the title for dumbest / evil GOP state.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would say Florida is making a good push, but nobody is going to beat Mitch in pure evil. He's even worse than Trump as he actually knows what he's doing.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got no wiggle room here in TN either with Hagerty and Blackburn and Fleischmann. Its the trifecta of evil here. I wouldn't be surprised if they summoned a new Hellboy...or is it Hellboi these days.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:27 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 am Like when Paul Pelosi makes his insider trades? I mean fuck them all. Right?
Yes. All of them. Any elected official with connection to investments is immediately in ethical jeopardy, imho. Again, their financials should be an open book and there shouldn't be any way for a politician (or their goddamn families for christsake) to make direct stock purchases.

But apparently that ship has sailed so we're stuck with the "but it's technically legal" system that currently exists - the one that is broken, corrupt and seemingly owned by corporations.
Agreed. If "both sides" do wrong, then "both sides" should face consequences. Not neither because it's offsetting; not one side only because only one side feels the moral necessity.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Where's that neighbor again?

Rand Paul: “Hey poor people. You’d be middle class in other countries. Be grateful!”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And he would be strung up by his thumbs in other countries.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So RandfunckingassholePaul, how's about we take away everything you own and let you live off of four dollars a day double what you consider poverty and see how great things are for you? Yes, evil. You are not misunderstood. You are a bad human being who is happy to have success through the suffering of others.