concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:42 pm
Split the song doesn't do much for me (though I enjoy the context), but the single art may be my favourite of any of Brute!'s KMFDM covers.
my brain always goes to the single, which of course was the double A-side of PIGGYBANK, which then gets into my head

Let me be your piggybank
For nothing but your smell
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Peter Gabriel tickets come out in a few days. I've seen him 3x previously -- first time (touring on his Plays Live album) was probably the second-best concert I ever attended. Second time, the So tour, is in my top 5. The third time, Us tour, was really good, just not as amazing as the first two times.

I've watched some of his concerts on You Tube since then, and they were inferior to any of the shows I attended. This is probably a last chance event, but I'm wary of clouding my memories of past experiences. Pretty much goes with all of the dinosaur acts still giving it a final shot.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:54 pm Peter Gabriel tickets come out in a few days.
got my ticket today (presale code) - 55th row, floor seat for $230 after TicketFührer extortions. the UP tour was reallllly good so i'll give this time around (two decades later) another go.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:07 pm 55th row, floor seat for $230 after TicketFührer extortions
Holy shit. :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:07 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:54 pm Peter Gabriel tickets come out in a few days.
got my ticket today (presale code) - 55th row, floor seat for $230 after TicketFührer extortions. the UP tour was reallllly good so i'll give this time around (two decades later) another go.
Always wanted to see him, but nope.

Again, I may do my first time out in over three years next month.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're gonna see Postmodern Jukebox a week from tonight.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:41 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:07 pm 55th row, floor seat for $230 after TicketFührer extortions
That's not even all that outrageous given what some are commanding. The question is "do I want to spend that much for a septuagenarian whose powers have waned from a peak 3 decades ago?" The answer pretty much is no. I did sign up for free tickets on the WXRT website, but no joy there. I'd probably go for free.

Incidentally, the high price of concert tickets is directly related to the ability of consumers to get whatever music they want for free, either on You Tube or other means. Revenue from sales is quite low these days, so they get you at the concert venue. If you don't need to see blockbuster bands, there's still affordable live music out there if you look to smaller venues. A few years ago, though, a neighbor gave me 4 tickets to a Bob Seger cover band...the face value of the tickets were $40 each -- for a cover band! I spent half that when I saw the real deal back in the day. And the venue (capacity 6600) was sold out. Our tickets were lawn seats.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 pm
That's not even all that outrageous given what some are commanding. The question is "do I want to spend that much for a septuagenarian whose powers have waned from a peak 3 decades ago?" The answer pretty much is no. I did sign up for free tickets on the WXRT website, but no joy there. I'd probably go for free.

Incidentally, the high price of concert tickets is directly related to the ability of consumers to get whatever music they want for free, either on You Tube or other means. Revenue from sales is quite low these days, so they get you at the concert venue. If you don't need to see blockbuster bands, there's still affordable live music out there if you look to smaller venues. A few years ago, though, a neighbor gave me 4 tickets to a Bob Seger cover band...the face value of the tickets were $40 each -- for a cover band! I spent half that when I saw the real deal back in the day. And the venue (capacity 6600) was sold out. Our tickets were lawn seats.
$15 to Daikajiju, though the TicketWeb fees are still an unknown to me. I'm not driving to the box office, assuming the fee is only $5. The a big assume though. I can remember the third time I saw Gogol Bordello. I was charged $15 in fees for a $10 show at the TicketMaster... at Hudson's. :lol: Oh, 2004.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Seeing Chris Stapleton in august and Bruce Springsteen in November.
Wanted to see depeche mode again but not for $400 a ticket.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Upcoming concerts:
Got tickets for Martina McBride
then Hoodoo Gurus in Nashville

debating getting Weezer/Modest Mouse/Momma tickets for June as they kick off their tour in Huntsville.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My upcoming shows:
- Enslaved/Insomnium: $28.50 + $15 service fee
- Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly: $39.50 + $18 service fee
- Skinny Puppy: $35 + $18 service fee
- Ghost/Amon Amarth: $53 (for lawn seats) + $22 service fees

I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 for a concert (festivals notwithstanding), and that was only when I bought the "meet & greet" package to see Ohgr.

Guess I'm glad I don't listen to any "big" bands.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:54 am - Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly: $39.50 + $18 service fee
I would do that. I saw Numan twice...first time, on his Pleasure Principle tour. The theater he played at (the Granada) was raised, a condo development put up, and the condo development rehabbed since then before we saw him a second time. It was a long time ago (that performance was one of those recorded for his Living Ornaments '79 album).

The second time was 25 years later, I think touring on Exile. He had become a goth icon, as him and the crowd testified to. I don't remember who the opening act was, but they had dinner at the same hole-in-wall joint we did prior to the concert at Cabaret Metro. He still put on a good show, but didn't compare with the first time I saw him.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Depeche Mode floor seats were $329
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

"You’ve been selected to participate in the Verified Fan Sale for The Cure at Climate Pledge Arena on June 1. You will be receiving your unique access code via text."

oh cool, that means they'll be sending it to... my landline...

i sent a customer service request message. they'll probably get around to answering it when it's far too late.

i hate this stupid monopoly clusterf of a company. i think i would be happiest never giving TicketBastard another cent. if it means never seeing giant arena shows ever again, so be it.

EDIT: just got it in email. "We tried to send your Verified Fan access code to your mobile number provided during registration, but encountered a text delivery issue." lol
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

“We have verified that you have a landline, proving that you’re old enough that you’ll actually use tickets to The Cure.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the TicketBastard 'fan presale' was just as much of a clusterf as you've heard about already. once i got past the waiting queue, the seats were ofc disappearing at a frenetic pace. usually, i would click on a seat, it would process for like 20 seconds, then go 'sorry! someone else just got it' or just 'hmmm...welll, we were unable to reserve this for some reason. please try again' until i exceeded my 'maximum number of reservation attempts' and then the system would kick me back out to the waiting queue!

then the three times i made it to the checkout screen, it would attempt to process the transaction for about a minute, then just give up and boot me back to the selection screen.

then i check my email JUST NOW (hours later) and i find that _one_ of those checkout attempts actually DID go through. the site ofc never notified me this had occurred when it errored out on final checkout. what if all of those attempts had actually succeeded? i mean, i could easily resell them, but not really the point.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

PMJ gave a great 2-hour show, lots of fun.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The other one though -- metalhead Lohengrin? I've seen Lohengrin (the Wagner opera) before but can't reconcile that combo...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I got to see Puddles Pity Party and Rainbow Girls two weeks ago, and they were both fantastic in very different ways. I got to talk to Big Mike, the guy behind Puddles for about 10 minutes and he's really nice. Very much recommend!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

To my great surprise, the Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly show last night ended up being one of the best shows I've seen in years, if not one of the best ever. While I adore FLA's music, I've seen them three times before and their live show has been mediocre. I've seen Ministry once, and they were mostly just...loud. And I've just never really gotten into Gary Numan's music. I just wasn't really expecting much last night.

FLA started the night with easily the best of the four times I've seen them. Their sound was actually balanced well so that you could hear some of the complexities of the music without it devolving into audio mush. Leeb is still a total dork with very little stage presence, but their set was excellent overall.

Gary Numan...HOLY FORKING SHIRTBALLS!! I had only listened to a few bits and pieces, but he absolutely, 100% blew my goddamn mind. Nothing short of total brilliance. His complete command of the stage and every single person in that audience was truly something to behold. As my friend said, he "slithered" onstage and you simply could not look away. It was a remarkable, epic performance that is still stunning as I think back on it this morning. I don't remember the last time a band I wasn't terribly familiar with made that huge of an impression on me. At age 65, his energy and stage presence reminded me a lot of Trent Reznor from 30 years ago...and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. I was neutral on Numan coming in, but am - without question - a raving fan now. Holy shit, he was remarkable.

I didn't think the Ministry set would amount to much when they spent the first 30 minutes playing nothing but new stuff. The entire audience just sort of shuffled around, and everyone seemed pretty bored. I did notice that their sound was far better than previous shows, where the guitar was SO loud it simply overpowered everything. This mix was much more focused on Uncle Al's vocals and the samples, which was a pleasant change of pace. After about the 6th new song, Al (who was in rare form last night) said "Thanks for your patience with all that. Now let's get to the stuff you actually came here for" and launched into an hour of old-school madness. "NWO", "Just One Fix", "So What", "Stigmata", "Thieves"...everything those of us who grew up listening to Ministry knew and loved. I ended up spending most of that in the pit, which - while I'm absolutely paying for it this morning (I can barely move) - was simply a blast. My nearly 50-year-old self was instantly transported back to being a goofy 16-year-old just going nuts over music I loved with a mass of complete strangers. I've been in lots of mosh pits over my life, but this one was kind of a a remarkable experience, tbh.

All in all, it was just a wonderful night of insanity. I figured this show - sandwiched between Enslaved/Insomnium last weekend (a sadly awful performance) and Skinny Puppy in two weeks - would be merely 'meh', but it was easily a top 10 performance. I highly recommend catching this tour, if you get a chance.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Bummer, it's not coming this way. :(

My Skinny Puppy concert is this Wednesday. Any tips? Does anyone get rowdy at a Skinny Puppy concert?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:42 pm My Skinny Puppy concert is this Wednesday. Any tips? Does anyone get rowdy at a Skinny Puppy concert?
Not typically rowdy, no.

I would expect it to be packed though, with this being the farewell tour and all. Many cities (Salt Lake included) had to upgrade to bigger venues because they were selling out.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks! Trying to figure out whether to press for a spot up front.

Oddly there still seem to be resale tickets available, and they're going for around the initial price. I did check some of the other tour spots and they seemed to be sold out, but some of them were smaller venues. I think the one they're playing in Toronto has a 2,500 person capacity. (I thought it was more before I edited.) You'd think Toronto would be a major stop for them, but I have no idea these days.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Numan only has A Place to Bury Strangers (snooze) opening on the northwest portion of the tour and the set list is largely the same as the last two times i've seen him, so - i'll check stubhub the day off to see if i can get any cheaper tickets.

i did see Chemical Brothers earlier last week and i have to give kudos to the projections and lighting designers. one of the best efforts i've seen, it was pretty impressive.

also finally saw the TMBG show that i had purchased the ticket for over three years ago https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/they-mig ... 8dd1c.html
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Last week we saw Muse on Sunday and They Might Be Giants on Wednesday. Both were great although Muse's stage show was a little more restrained than in past tours (although they went hard with fire. So much fire.). TMBG played almost all of "Flood" and had an awesome horn section.

It was a blast but I learned that 50 year old me can't really do two shows in a single week anymore.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Exodor wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:33 pm TMBG played almost all of "Flood" and had an awesome horn section.
Portland show had one extra track in the setlist vs the first Seattle show i went to, but the second Seattle show was another four tracks shorter! (on that one they did play two of the three "missing" _Flood_ tracks, but also it was missing all of the seven _Mink Car_ tracks played the night before)

EDIT: tho this is the show i REALLY would like to see: https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/pe ... -16/sparks Sparks with TMBG opening? sign me up
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

CARCASS last night was fantastic. everything i'd hoped for, finally getting to see them (yeah, they were a bucket-list band for decades).... tho i guess 'see' is figurative, as i had to spend at least half the show with my eyes closed due to the EXTREMELY INTENSE STROBES that were starting to cause my brain to do weird things, and then when they brought on the video footage of gore and body organs and viscera and flesh cutting - well, i can't actually handle that, lol but they were on point. i even considered buying the butcher apron at the merch booth (they also had a dinnerware set for sale)

Municipal Waste were a lot of fun, as usual. they're such an effective modern-day refinement of everything right with '80s-era thrash metal. too bad i didn't get a video recording of the 'chicken fight' pit

and speaking of ex-Earache bands, i see GODFLESH is touring... i might have to make it to that one
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:32 pm [PAGING Sp]
Hey man, there's a Khemmis, Conjurer (UK), Wake (Canada) concert near me next week. Do you (or any other forum metalheads) know anything about these bands/their performances? I don't think I'm familiar with any of them, but I'm sampling some tracks and they seem like something I might enjoy.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:32 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:32 pm [PAGING Sp]
Hey man, there's a Khemmis, Conjurer (UK), Wake (Canada) concert near me next week. Do you (or any other forum metalheads) know anything about these bands/their performances? I don't think I'm familiar with any of them, but I'm sampling some tracks and they seem like something I might enjoy.
I love, love, love Khemmis. Seen them three times now and they always put in a great show. Would definitely check out any set they were headlining. My favorite tune of theirs:

They also do a killer cover version of “Rainbow in the Dark”

Not familiar with the other two.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Nice, thanks! What I'm hearing definitely seems up my alley so far. They're at an intimate little venue, too. Where there's like a drink... table wraparound thing up the steps from the floor that old fat fucks like me can lean on while we headbang. :music-rockon: :lol:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lead into Gold and Skinny Puppy were outstanding! SP played 20 songs for only the third time on the tour so far. I got to meet Paul Barker! My feet hurt! More at eleven.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just got tickets for U2 doing Achtung Baby at the Sphere in Las Vegas. October 27. Can’t wait!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I had tix for Melvins last October and just wasn't able to do it. I just wasn't ready for crowds yet even though that yearly show is Homecoming and I get to see all my punkrock homies I've known for 30+ years. Plus my wife had just gotten over a cold or flu or something. So it was easier to skip the show...

THEN, Mudhoney dates got announced. They were always the band I was CONVINCED was going to be the next BIG BAND from Seattle. I debated and debated and decided I still wasn't ready for crowds.

Theeeen I got drunk last night and ordered tix. Going to see Mudhoney in October at the killer bar with 25 pinball machines.

They are pretty much the only band from the wonderful Grunge Years we still haven't seen...so looking forward to that!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So I made notes and was going to write this grand, Hunter-S-Thompson-esque article about my experiences at the Skinny Puppy concert but I'm too lazy.

So... it was amazing! The Skinny Puppy set and theatrics was nuts. Ogre moves his sassy body like a 20-year old. Played 20 songs. I got too high. Lead into Gold was more subdued, but mimicked Paul Barker's vibes. I got to meet Paul! Made a total buffoon of myself. Got signed vinyl of his latest album. But was too nervous to ask for a selfie. Frame arrives tomorrow. Also got a SP tour t-shirt, the "glitch skeleton". It's very high quality (and was priced to match).

Here's a brief, extremely poorly edited video of a couple of excerpts from the show. Don't watch it if you don't want spoilers for those of you whose show hasn't happened yet!
Spoiler:
Stick around for the blue alien brain vomit at the end.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:19 pm So I made notes and was going to write this grand, Hunter-S-Thompson-esque article about my experiences at the Skinny Puppy concert but I'm too lazy.

So... it was amazing! The Skinny Puppy set and theatrics was nuts. Ogre moves his sassy body like a 20-year old. Played 20 songs. I got too high. Lead into Gold was more subdued, but mimicked Paul Barker's vibes. I got to meet Paul! Made a total buffoon of myself. Got signed vinyl of his latest album. But was too nervous to ask for a selfie. Frame arrives tomorrow. Also got a SP tour t-shirt, the "glitch skeleton". It's very high quality (and was priced to match).

Here's a brief, extremely poorly edited video of a couple of excerpts from the show. Don't watch it if you don't want spoilers for those of you whose show hasn't happened yet!
Spoiler:
Stick around for the blue alien brain vomit at the end.
Very cool, thanks for the write-up and the vid! My show is next Thursday.

Just saw Cynic/Atheist announced a summer US tour that's stopping here in June. Definitely will be a must-see show, although Cynic won't be the same without the Sean's (RIP to both). :(
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm
Depeche Mode floor seats were $329
I e seen them several times, once at a small venue in the early/mid 90’s and they blew my face off. Amazing. Not sure about now though, without Fletch (RIP)?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spoils from the Lead into Gold concert. It's Barker's latest album, The Eternal Present! I haven't warmed up to it as much as The Sun Behind the Sun or Age of Reason (been a favourite for twenty years). It's a very foreboding record. But it was amazing to see half of it played live!

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Can't get the record level for the life of me! Will try again later.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well, we're back from seeing Taylor Swift and the verdict is....wow.

Whether you're a fan of her music or not, there's simply no other artist putting on that level of show, period. 3 1/2 hours, 44 songs, 16 costume changes, and that's before you get to the sets, projections, etc.

My daughter obviously had a blast, and there's really nothing like being in a stadium of 70,000 devoted fans who know every word of every song. The energy surging through the crowd was unbelievable. The lighting effects in the crowd (everyone had a bracelet and/or lanyard that was synchronized to the show) was just astonishing to see. I've been to a lot of concerts in my time, but never anything on this level with this hyped a crowd.

And Taylor herself was just unreal. Every movement perfectly choreographed, her voice was completely on point throughout, and she never even looked even the slightest bit winded. Hell, you hardly saw a hair out of place, it was astonishing. It looked almost superhuman, and the idea that she just does this night after night blows my mind.

She also demonstrated the personality that has endeared her to so many, getting a touch emotional from the crowd's impromptu phone light display, cracking a stupid dad joke while killing time during a brief technical mishap, and even laughing at herself when she forgot the order of a lyric on one of her bonus acoustic songs.

If respecting someone that can pull this off makes me a Swiftie, then so be it. As a music lover and lover of live acts, it was just next level. She deserves all the accolades she can get.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

She's an android for sure. Glad you had a great time! Your MP3 player says hello.

I'm going to a doom death metal concert on Tuesday in a tiny venue that smells of piss and has broken tiles that look like they may fall from the ceiling at any moment. Hopefully I also get a bracelet or lanyard that synchronizes with the show.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed May 03, 2023 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.